Random Memory

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Magical Quakers
Team Supported: Darlington

Random Memory

Post by Magical Quakers » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Just been chatting with a Stoke fan at work and was reminded of the game we had with them in the League Cup back in 2006 where we beat them with 10 men.

Some 'quality' players in our team that day!

I remember it being freezing in their ground and being very very empty.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 266386.stm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCSzho0i7A0

TFDM

Re: Random Memory

Post by TFDM » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:53 pm

I remember that game. Think I was working for the club at the time, certainly covered it as I remember being in a half empty press box that night next to Ray Simpson. Forgot we'd had a player sent off but remember both goals being very impressive.

If I remember rightly Tony Pulis was under a bit of pressure at the time and had a few Stoke fans on his back.

Didn't we play Reading in the next round? We were very unlucky not to make round 3 if I recall. A dubious late goal in extra time I think pegged us back and we lost on penalties. If I recall Reading went on and played Liverpool at Anfield in the next round. Another nearly fantastic away tie for the club.

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:20 pm

I think you're right Kev. I certainly remember us losing to Reading on penalties around that time anyway.
Northern League Champions 2013

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Went to both games, Reading ended 3-3

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:22 pm

One of the penalty scorers for Reading was Shane Long.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Feet4ever

Post by Feet4ever » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Also had a man sent off in the Reading game late on. Might of held on with 11...

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:19 pm

I was at the game - Craig James went for a terrible challenge early on but we played really well!

Deserved the win and were unlucky against Reading in the next round

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:37 pm

We did play Reading in the next round. Its all coming flooding back now. It was a great effort but I remember Reading putting on a proper spread in the press box as well. Pretty much had an entire fridge you could get stuff from. Never got that at Macclesfield on a Tuesday night. I think Hodgy only lasted a few games after that before being ousted.

polam

Post by polam » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:25 pm

The Reading equaliser was punched in Maradona style by Andre Bikey. Then in the shootout Stockdale saved the first penalty but the ref gave Reading a retake, saying he had moved too early. The shootout didn't finish until after 11pm

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:23 pm

Only me who thinks that red card was a bit of a 50-50 argie bargy type stuff?!

Yes he shoved him over but only after a very late and hard shove. Equal measures for me!

I remember being at the Reading game and they showed the goal on the replay where you could clearly see the arm used. Then he ran off celebrating telling all his team mates it was his arm. Gutting.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:39 pm

TDS wrote:Only me who thinks that red card was a bit of a 50-50 argie bargy type stuff?!

Yes he shoved him over but only after a very late and hard shove. Equal measures for me!

I remember being at the Reading game and they showed the goal on the replay where you could clearly see the arm used. Then he ran off celebrating telling all his team mates it was his arm. Gutting.
Weren't you about 6 at the time? ;)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:39 pm

It was Craig James - he always deserved to be sent off.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:42 pm

Spyman wrote:It was Craig James - he always deserved to be sent off.
For being s***?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:35 pm

Basically, yeah.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:12 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
TDS wrote:Only me who thinks that red card was a bit of a 50-50 argie bargy type stuff?!

Weren't you about 6 at the time? ;)
:lol: :clap:

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:17 pm

One of my first games as a Darlo fan, I had resisted all urges to goto a few Darlo games, I was still mourning the deaths of my grandfather and uncle a year earlier, by the time the Stoke game came around I decided Darlo were the team for me to follow...

I missed the Reading game as I was in Zante and I remember getting a barman to put Soccer Special on the tv and table full of Germans looking at me like was an idiot, cheering a game I could not actually see and getting a bit over excited at listening to a sky pundit talking about the penalties I could not physically see...

If I remember correctly, I was mighty impressed with the Stoke result especially going a goal down and and going down to 10 men quite early on
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

eddiegrundy

Post by eddiegrundy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:39 pm

polam wrote:The Reading equaliser was punched in Maradona style by Andre Bikey. Then in the shootout Stockdale saved the first penalty but the ref gave Reading a retake, saying he had moved too early. The shootout didn't finish until after 11pm
I was at the game. It was Peter Mate who handballed it in for Reading, not Andre Bikey. Mate has returned to playing in Hungary these days and the handball goal was his only ever goal for Reading. The game was reminisced in some detail on the Reading fans site recently.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5&start=40

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Joachims best game in a darlo shirt as i recall.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:29 am

Neil_Heaneys_Pace wrote:Joachims best game in a darlo shirt as i recall.
Most of his best games were the season after, playing wide right.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:16 am

Spyman. Your "DC" quote, if read carefully is funny. Not only for the content, but also for the usage of two wrong words!!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:49 pm

I think we also beat higher league opposition in the jpt when we beat Tranmere away around that time. We had a good team that season despite what some said at the time.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:51 pm

We had some very good forward players but mainly very poor defenders.

DC

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:00 pm

but not as poor as some made out at the time... they were good enough defenders to win 7 on the trot. Teams do not win 7 games on the trot with poor defenders.