Average attendance when back in Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

What will be the Darlo average attendance next season?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:11 am

900-1100
5
9%
1100-1300
12
21%
1300-1500
14
25%
1500-1700
11
19%
1700-2000
9
16%
2000+
6
11%
 
Total votes: 57

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:11 am

Hi folks,
I'm just wondering what you think your average attendance will be when you are back in Darlo under different league circumstances. So what do you think the average attendance will be when you go back to Darlo...:
a) For the remainder of this season
b) Next season if you go up
c) Next season if you stay down

Also, how long do you think it will take for you to reach the Conference, I think five years is reasonable but wondering if there is a general opinion among you.

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:34 am

The average attendance when we are back in Darlington will be just over 2,000.

It would be a little higher still but we'll lose out on the 4-5,000 gates that we'd get for the opener, and for the promotion clincher, simply because the ground initially will be unlikely to hold more than 2,500-3,000.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:37 am

I thought saying 2,000 plus would be optimistic due to what your attendances were even when you were still in the Conference but obviously it was a soulless stadium and terrible ownership. This time you'll have a tight stadium (good for atmosphere) and good ownership.
How long till you are mixing it with Conference Teams then?

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:47 am

5 years is probably realistic.

Yes you can point out that our attendances in the conference were below 2,000 (not by much though), and to some it may seem even stupid to come out and say we'll be above 2,000 because of that, but, I'm never wrong with attendance predictions, not ever.

It's not a million years ago that we were regularly playing to crowds of 3,000, 4,000, 5,000 in L2. We still have that latent fan base.

Coming back to Darlo will be a big deal, an even bigger deal than many imagine, there will be a lot of demand in the first few fixtures from a lot of those latent fans.

For an example of crowds that can be achieved at this level, look at Chester. They are almost an identical size club to Darlo who were getting very poor gates in the conference, yet when they started up again they got 2,000+ all the way, because people want to jump on a bandwagon of a club rising back through the leagues.

Had we not had to play outside of Darlo, I'm certain we'd have been getting 2,000+ in the Northern league, and I'm certain that we'll get 2,000+ when we go back.

Even Maidstone, a smaller club than Darlo when they were in the league, a club that played out of town for many years to 300 people (yet we get 1,000), are getting regular 2,000 gates now that they're back home, though still at a level below where they once played.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:58 am

I hope you are right, would make you the biggest club all the way up to the Conference probably if Stockport go up. I hope it isn't next year but would love to see Darlo vs FC United in the Conference North, that could be a huge crowd.
Just looking at the Conference and seeing how it is effectively a two tier league which is only going to be more like the football league every year when you, Maidstone, Stockport and FC United all find your way back into it.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by divas » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Don't forget though that in the Conference when we were getting just below 2K we were also paying something like £15. Even having to fund a move back ID not expect us to pay anywhere near that in our first couple of seasons back, hopefully in the Evo Prem and Conf North when we'll still be part time and therefore that should hopefully attract people.

User avatar
Mr_Tibbs
Posts: 3296
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:55 pm
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo
Location: Gruzia
Contact:

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:13 pm

eddyman00 wrote:I hope you are right, would make you the biggest club all the way up to the Conference probably if Stockport go up. I hope it isn't next year but would love to see Darlo vs FC United in the Conference North, that could be a huge crowd.
Just looking at the Conference and seeing how it is effectively a two tier league which is only going to be more like the football league every year when you, Maidstone, Stockport and FC United all find your way back into it.
and Hartlepool pass through it.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

Image

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:26 pm

divas wrote:Don't forget though that in the Conference when we were getting just below 2K we were also paying something like £15. Even having to fund a move back ID not expect us to pay anywhere near that in our first couple of seasons back, hopefully in the Evo Prem and Conf North when we'll still be part time and therefore that should hopefully attract people.
It was £18. With no standing there was no cheaper option either.

It only dropped to £15 when we were in administration.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:52 pm

I have no reason to think you would need to go full time until maybe you get into the conference. I was going to say your second season in the Conf but by the time you get there it will in reality be League 3.
On Hartlepool, they may end up like you having to climb back up the leagues. They weren't the first , they won't be the last. We have Blackpool and Bolton about to collapse so get yourself sorted out now and benefit from everyone else screwing up.

CrazyDarlo
Posts: 729
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Thirsk

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:00 pm

At the start of the season people were saying that we could move back midway through this season. That seems unlikely it's now mid October and we have seen little development. I think that 2000+ is very ambitious given the level we are playing at.

spen666
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by spen666 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:19 pm

It will be interesting what crowd settles down to when the move is no longer a novelty.

I would expect initial gates to be near capacity but then will settle down to a more consistent figure.

The comparisons to previous crowds is interesting. By the time the club are back in Darlington it will be 3 years playing out of town and many of the current non attenders will have new routines that don't involve football.

However, the publicity and feel good factor about a move back to Darlington as well as the more informality at NPL level is likely to generate a lot of new spectators, especially families and kids.

If pricing is right, crowds of 2000 could easily be the norm , even at NPL level.

A lot will depend on the marketing of the club at and after the move. Football now has to compete with lots of other activities on a saturday (Not that I understand anyone wanting to do anything other than football on a saturday).

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:47 pm

Well if you are back in Darlo before the playoffs then it would be vital for the club to get at least a home semi final this season and really build up the excitement. Last season is starting to look more and more like the season to get out of this league.

Just think that if FC United of Manchester go up this season it could be you and Salford rising in tandem up the leagues until their owners get bored when they see they can't walk the Conference.

I don't predict you will get stuck like FC United did mainly because by next season you will be back in Darlo with all the benefits that brings whereas FC United have been paying an arm and a leg to Bury for the Groundshare.

quaker4life
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by quaker4life » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:49 pm

I have gone for an initial 1,300 - 1,500 based at level we are and the crowds we are currently getting at Bishop.

I think 200/300 or so lapsed fans that have gone missing at Bishop lately will likely return once we're playing in the town again, afterwards I think it depends how we progress. Ideally it'd be great to return on the back of a promotion and generate plenty of interest.

There may be a bumper crowd for the opener like there was a couple of years ago in the NL but I reckon we'd even out at 1,300.

Hopefully we'll see some movement soon.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Beano
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Ultimately, the crowd numbers will depend on the usual key factors; a winning team and price.

I just hope that we actually capitalise on the buzz and excitement created by moving home with sensible pricing and becoming a genuine community club.

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:10 pm

Well let's say it's 1500 fans and you go up. It would put you 2nd behind FC United if they stay down (and would be two massive games for the Evo-Stik Prem)

If you were to go up again you would likely be in the top 2/3 in the Conference North, depending on where teams like AFC Telford, Stockport, Barrow and FC United end up over the next two or three years.

If you ended up back in the Conference well I would be surprised if you managed anything less than 2000 a game and I feel many clubs would come and visit you after not seeing Darlo for so long plus you would be in a stadium more conducive to a good atmosphere.

Essentially you are on the up and it's only a matter of time before you can regularly look forward to playing Stockport, FC United, Gateshead, Barrow and whichever big Football League team(s) that fall through the trap door.

What's the one team you will look forward to playing the most at a higher level, up to the Conference.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by divas » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:15 pm

eddyman00 wrote:
What's the one team you will look forward to playing the most at a higher level, up to the Conference.
Hartlepool

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:23 pm

Didn't know you were planning on waiting in the EvoStik Div One North that long. ;)

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:25 pm

quaker4life wrote:I have gone for an initial 1,300 - 1,500 based at level we are and the crowds we are currently getting at Bishop.

I think 200/300 or so lapsed fans that have gone missing at Bishop lately will likely return once we're playing in the town again, afterwards I think it depends how we progress. Ideally it'd be great to return on the back of a promotion and generate plenty of interest.

There may be a bumper crowd for the opener like there was a couple of years ago in the NL but I reckon we'd even out at 1,300.

Hopefully we'll see some movement soon.
You think we are a smaller club than Chester and Maidstone United? What planet are you on?
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:30 pm

spen666 wrote:It will be interesting what crowd settles down to when the move is no longer a novelty.

I would expect initial gates to be near capacity but then will settle down to a more consistent figure.

The comparisons to previous crowds is interesting. By the time the club are back in Darlington it will be 3 years playing out of town and many of the current non attenders will have new routines that don't involve football.
How many years were Maidstone out of town? About 15 years wasn't it? They were down to gates of 300.

Now they're getting regular 2,000 gates even though they are below the level that they played at in the past, even though they got smaller gates than Darlo in L2 and the Conference.

We'd get 2,000 for as long as they have, because in these lower leagues we will always be in contention for promotion, like they are. Gates would only settle down and perhaps go backwards once we hit our level where we might struggle a bit, I reckon that level would be the conference.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

quaker4life
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by quaker4life » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Quakerz wrote:
quaker4life wrote:I have gone for an initial 1,300 - 1,500 based at level we are and the crowds we are currently getting at Bishop.

I think 200/300 or so lapsed fans that have gone missing at Bishop lately will likely return once we're playing in the town again, afterwards I think it depends how we progress. Ideally it'd be great to return on the back of a promotion and generate plenty of interest.

There may be a bumper crowd for the opener like there was a couple of years ago in the NL but I reckon we'd even out at 1,300.

Hopefully we'll see some movement soon.
You think we are a smaller club than Chester and Maidstone United? What planet are you on?
I hope that was an attempted troll, if not I could ask you the same thing?
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Stagnation is going to be a huge problem for alot of clubs in the Conference, mainly because it will become even tougher than it is now (where it's already brutal) to get out of it.

So clubs like Darlington, Grimsby, Lincoln, Wrexham, Chester, Halifax, Stockport will all be fighting for those two promotions along with the two teams that come down from the footy league.

You can see why it's so vital for teams like Dag & Red , Accrington to stay up because if they came down , they'd stay down. It's going to be a joke when Conference games get higher attendances on a regular basis then many League 2 matches.

al_quaker
Posts: 5348
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:05 pm

I reckon we will be back around 2000. It will be cheap, and we should be winning the majority of matches. I'd be disappointed if the attendances back in Darlo are much below 1500, even at this level.

spen666
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by spen666 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Quakerz wrote:
spen666 wrote:It will be interesting what crowd settles down to when the move is no longer a novelty.

I would expect initial gates to be near capacity but then will settle down to a more consistent figure.

The comparisons to previous crowds is interesting. By the time the club are back in Darlington it will be 3 years playing out of town and many of the current non attenders will have new routines that don't involve football.
How many years were Maidstone out of town? About 15 years wasn't it? They were down to gates of 300.

Now they're getting regular 2,000 gates even though they are below the level that they played at in the past, even though they got smaller gates than Darlo in L2 and the Conference.

We'd get 2,000 for as long as they have, because in these lower leagues we will always be in contention for promotion, like they are. Gates would only settle down and perhaps go backwards once we hit our level where we might struggle a bit, I reckon that level would be the conference.

Maidstone are getting the crowds they do because they marketed the club amongst the local community . Maidstone have made a huge effort to get the community involved in the club, not just at 1st team level, but using the facilities and running lots of teams.

Incidentally, I am not sure where you get your figures re Maidstone's crowds, but despite being top of Rymans League Premier Division (Step 3), they are averaging only 1450 this season and have not had a gate of 2000 in that competition this season. Their highest crowd is 1801.

Last season they finished only 7th but averaged 1821. This suggests that the novelty of a new ground wears off on the fans and gates do settle down.

The key to getting good crowds is not necessarily the size of the town or the level of football, but how well a club markets itself and gets a feel good factor going and maintains it

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:59 am

If Maidstone finish 2nd (as I suspect) you can add two massive attendances in the playoffs which they will win. Shows how difficult the Conference is going to be for you guys when little teams like Dartford are going to be replaced by teams like Maidstone. Nuneaton replaced by Stockport. Not justified to only have two teams go up from the Conference anymore.

cameron-darlo
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by cameron-darlo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:28 pm

I reckon 1700-2000. I know alot of people who cant make it to Bishop regularly due to other commitments but would be able to if we played in Darlo.(i fall into that bracket) one thing i do worry about though is how many people have lost interest due to not being able to attend. We'll still get healthy crowds regardless though

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:43 pm

If you are playing Stockport or FC United in the next couple of seasons I wouldn't worry too much about floating fans coming back. If those teams are already in the Conference whilst you are in the Conference North then you will once again be one of the biggest teams in that League looking for promotion.

Shameless plug, after this conversation have done a piece about the Conference becoming the de facto League 3 of the Football League. Have a mooch.. or don't.

http://ontheterracesblog.wordpress.com/ ... -league-3/

CrazyDarlo
Posts: 729
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Thirsk

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Lets not get ahead of ourselves were still 3 leagues below the conference premier. We need to find ourselves in the evo stik premier and back in to darlo by the beginning of next season, anything less will be a disappointment.

Andrew Wilkinson
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Crazy darlo is right. Eddyman is looking way too far ahead. Getting out of the Conference is not of the slightest concern to us. Getting anywhere near it in the foreseeable future could prove very difficult.

eddyman00
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by eddyman00 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:30 pm

I have to say I don't think I am looking too far away. You are only three seasons away and if you go up this year then only two. If you can keep pace with Salford then the real challenge will be the Conference North.

A playoff win this season is pretty important but let's say you stay down, as long as you are back in Darlo for the start of next season then the league will be yours to lose.

AIDO
Posts: 2489
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Average attendance when back in Darlo

Post by AIDO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Andrew Wilkinson wrote:Crazy darlo is right. Eddyman is looking way too far ahead. Getting out of the Conference is not of the slightest concern to us. Getting anywhere near it in the foreseeable future could prove very difficult.
.... "could"???? ..... judging by the last 14 months ..... it already is .... very difficult!

Post Reply