606 & Swindon Town

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

606 & Swindon Town

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:38 am

Was just listening to the podcast from the weekend and a Swindon fan was on their congratulating the team on a great first half of the season.

League 1 is not the league I keep the keenest eye on but I notice they are top of the league and looking very good for at least a playoff spot. Seems Cooper and Smith are both very much playing their part.

It's funny how football work's out at times fine lines and all that.

m62exile

Re: 606 & Swindon Town

Post by m62exile » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:20 am

Cooper did a good job at Darlo with one hand tied behind his back by Singh. Unfortunately a few at the time couldn't see what was happening and believed Singh's flannel. It's no surprise to see him doing so well, I'm pleased for him.

He could have been more complimentary when he commentated on us a few weeks later which was disappointing but in hindsight I can understand why he was miffed.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:13 am

m62exile wrote:Cooper did a good job at Darlo with one hand tied behind his back by Singh. Unfortunately a few at the time couldn't see what was happening and believed Singh's flannel. It's no surprise to see him doing so well, I'm pleased for him.

He could have been more complimentary when he commentated on us a few weeks later which was disappointing but in hindsight I can understand why he was miffed.
I'd say it was more than a few. The majority, in fact.

As for Cooper not being complimentary when he did the punditry on telly in the Wrexham game (I assume that's what you are referring to), that was blown out of all proportion by a few over-sensitive types. I'd be bitter too though if within months of taking the club to one of it's greatest days, supporters were abusing me from the stands.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Cooper did a good job in his first season, largely with players that were already at the club. He should have got us into the playoffs though.

His second season was a disaster, terrible signings, pissed off existing players and woeful football.

Not sure what restrictions Singh placed on him? Seemed to back him to bring in all the crap players he did over the summer. Only when it was clear we weren't going anywhere that season did Singh pull the plug.

Pleased he's learnt from his mistakes and making a better job of it at Swindon.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:40 pm

He was very hit and miss. Depends what you remember more Paul Terry, Chris Senior and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson or Exodus Geohaghan, Kevin Austin and Adam Quinn.

Even players that should have been really good were just plain expensive (Kris Taylor & Graeme Lee).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:52 pm

lo36789 wrote:He was very hit and miss. Depends what you remember more Paul Terry, Chris Senior and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson or Exodus Geohaghan, Kevin Austin and Adam Quinn.

Even players that should have been really good were just plain expensive (Kris Taylor & Graeme Lee).
Chris Senior, Trophy winning goal aside, was not one of Cooper's best signings.

What he did best in the first season was find a system that worked and players that worked within that system. The diamond in midfield brought out the best of Gary Smith, Jamie Chandler and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson who were all key to our cup run and a stable (if slighty underachieving) season in the league.

I agree that a lot of money was wasted the following summer - Gary (I think) Taylor (the full-back/midfielder who left for Luton) was a cracking player but there were too many signings that summer that just didn't work out.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:35 pm

Chris Senior was signed by Simon Davey.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Cooper did a good job in his first season, largely with players that were already at the club. He should have got us into the playoffs though.

His second season was a disaster, terrible signings, pissed off existing players and woeful football.

Not sure what restrictions Singh placed on him? Seemed to back him to bring in all the crap players he did over the summer. Only when it was clear we weren't going anywhere that season did Singh pull the plug.

Bizarrely for a manager who has won our highest honor in recent year's his reputation among the supporters is woeful. I didn't think he did too badly really. I think his first season started to fall away a bit as we progressed in the Trophy. Which is perhaps understandable. Robbie is right though, we probably should have made the play-offs as well that year.

His second season was atrocious. I got the impression he was desperate to be away after the first month or so of the season (maybe he had an inkling of what was going on or had his head turned elsewhere). More likely though it was probably after he realised his signings were a load of rubbish and he'd pissed off the current squad. I always got the impression when sitting in on some of the interviews he could be quite an abrasive character when he wanted to be. That sort of thing is fine when you are doing well but when its not going for you it can work against you.

Will never forget his pre-match speech before the FA Trophy: "Play the game, not the occasion." Thought he handled everything about that day brilliantly.

Whichever way you slice though after disappearing from two clubs afterwards making zero marks (Kettering and someone else?) he's landed on his feet and is doing well. Fair play to him, he's clearly learned a few things. I'll always have a soft spot for him, he gave me one of my best ever days out following the club.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:22 pm

TFDM wrote:maybe he had an inkling of what was going on
I reckon he must have sussed out problems lay ahead.

Our Trophy winning squad seemed to get on well together and my thoughts at the time were that he broke it up too savagely.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:31 pm

Yeah that was his first mistake. He broke the squad up way too quickly. It probably needed freshening up but not to the extent he did. Sure there was quite a few players out of the door more or less straight after the final. I think it was a little bit of both as you say.

boorman

Post by boorman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:43 pm

I wouldn't say his reputation among Darlo fans is all that bad. Some slagged him but I think the majority would say they thought he was a decent manager, but that in his second season with us, he had a bit of a mare.

But seen as he was mentioned, does anyone know what became of Gary Smith? I thought he was absolute class. I can vaguely remember reading a while back that someone in non league gave him a chance, but not sure what came of it. I hope his injuries haven't forced him to drop out of the game altogether.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:54 pm

boorman wrote:I wouldn't say his reputation among Darlo fans is all that bad. Some slagged him but I think the majority would say they thought he was a decent manager, but that in his second season with us, he had a bit of a mare.

But seen as he was mentioned, does anyone know what became of Gary Smith? I thought he was absolute class. I can vaguely remember reading a while back that someone in non league gave him a chance, but not sure what came of it. I hope his injuries haven't forced him to drop out of the game altogether.
I heard Smith tried a comeback in the northern league and he did his cruciate again. I think Coopers biggest mistake was the treatment of Paul Terry, offering him a deal then withdrawing it before he could sign.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:40 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Cooper did a good job in his first season, largely with players that were already at the club. He should have got us into the playoffs though.

With respect, Singh started to evacuate long before the Gateshead semi final in the first season. Remember his threat that we needed 2000 adult season tickets or else he wouldn't guarantee the future of the club? (March 2011).

The FA Trophy run and finances made it all but impossible to ditch the club for the next few months but he refused to give anyone more than a one year contract, (with the rationale that he couldn't gaurantee he'd still keep the club going beyond that) reduced the playing budget and began a confrontational campaign against the council, playing staff and media.

Cooper's performance in the second season was mediocre, but I do believe the pervasive instability handicapped him.

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:33 pm

TFDM wrote:Yeah that was his first mistake. He broke the squad up way too quickly. It probably needed freshening up but not to the extent he did. Sure there was quite a few players out of the door more or less straight after the final. I think it was a little bit of both as you say.
Gary Smith had to retire due to injury. Not actually sure if he ever played more than a game or two in non league after the injury at Wembley.

He was considering going into business a couple of years ago with another of our midfielders from around that time, who had to retire through injury (can't remember his name though), selling medical supplies on the road, but last time I saw him a year or so ago he was getting qualified to go into the offshore industry.

He is a good lad Gary, and he told me many a story about the team at that time and how, if you weren't a part of Mark Cooper's 'first team' at the time he would drop you like a hot potato.

The impression I took away from Garyis that Mark Cooper was clearly a good manager if you are fit, morale is bouncing and you are in the team, not so great if you are trying to fight your way back from injury, morale in the team is not so high, or you're simply not in 'the club'.

I believe he made no effort to contact Gary after the injury at Wembley and Gary had a lot of problem with the management at the club in relation to getting his treatment covered after the injury, indeed ultimately Gary had to contact the assistant manager himself to keep in the loop. All people have strengths and weaknesses and perhaps Mark Cooper just has the right men around him now to compensate for the brash, abrasive side of his personality.

We saw what he was capable of at Darlo, and it is a shame he could not take us on further.

For the record, contrasting with Gary's comments I think Mark Cooper is one of the most effective managers we have had in quite some time, and I look back on his time at Darlo fondly as I will never again experience the excitement and exhilaration of that day at Wembley.

In a way though I am now quite glad that what happened did happen.

We own our club, we run our club, and we are our club. Now more than ever.

still_darlo

Post by still_darlo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Mark Cooper is clearly a good manager in a situation where the team is playing well and morale is high (and who wouldn't be?), but not so good when things get tough.

My comment concerns the money 'owed' to him by DFC. In most jobs around the world, termination does not entitle you to have remaining time on your contract paid up. And I've lived in a lot of places.

As far as I'm aware, Mark Cooper (along with some previous players) has continued to receive this money knowing it is being paid directly by fans of this club. Yes, he is 'entitled' to the money, but if I were in his position, now in (relatively speaking) stable employment, I would be ashamed to take it.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:35 pm

I always thought he did a decent job and on the whole wish him well. I tend to agree playoffs really should have been possible but he just never quite got the consistency.

He is probably the manager that draws the most split opinions from the fans. As TFDM says, he does seem to have fallen on his feet a little after a few years of relatively little success with Peterbrough, Darlo, Kettering and Telford.

still_darlo. I'm not too up on who is taking what from the club, but if what you say is correct then it does make me think a little less of the man.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:50 pm

It depends whether Dryden & Coopers package was classed as a football debt. I believe that is all we ended up picking up plus TUPE. The precedent was that if you have a CVA in place for football debt you can continue as a club - that was forgetting the golden share which was left at home.

If it wasn't their (rumoured) £50k will just be in the melting pot with RS's £2million plus some other smaller creditors. Of the money that we send to the administrator in debt repayments (not the larger TUPE amounts), a very small fraction will ever make it to Dryden/Coopers pockets as RS has such a large percentage of the debt.

That is unless severance packages like these are seen as a preferential creditor - I have no idea.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:57 pm

still_darlo wrote:As far as I'm aware, Mark Cooper (along with some previous players) has continued to receive this money knowing it is being paid directly by fans of this club.
From what I've read previously I don't think any of our payments go to Cooper.

I'd be surprised if this is correct.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

still_darlo

Post by still_darlo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:55 pm

lo36789 and theoriginalfatcat - thanks for addressing my comment - I'm surprised I didn't get the usual shoot-down for attempting to raise this type of question - ie where the repayment money goes. Having put in what I'd call a large amount personally...it's sort of nice to know where that part of it has gone.

Don't you think the unpaid salaries of players and manager are considered 'football debts'? I do recall (but haven't looked back to check) that these specific payments were going to be addressed in the loan repayment.

Of course, it was a pipe-dream to hope that some of the serious creditors like Mark Cooper, the player that went to Luton, and one or two others might have been a little forgiving when they realized who was paying them back (assuming, of course, that they are receiving back-pay from us).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:27 pm

still_darlo wrote:lo36789 and theoriginalfatcat - thanks for addressing my comment - I'm surprised I didn't get the usual shoot-down for attempting to raise this type of question - ie where the repayment money goes. Having put in what I'd call a large amount personally...it's sort of nice to know where that part of it has gone.

Don't you think the unpaid salaries of players and manager are considered 'football debts'? I do recall (but haven't looked back to check) that these specific payments were going to be addressed in the loan repayment.

Of course, it was a pipe-dream to hope that some of the serious creditors like Mark Cooper, the player that went to Luton, and one or two others might have been a little forgiving when they realized who was paying them back (assuming, of course, that they are receiving back-pay from us).
From memory (and I may be wrong) Greg Taylor (the player that went to Luton) wasn't a major creditor anyway as he left pretty much as soon as the s*** hit the fan. The like of Kris Taylor and Paul Arnison, who stuck around a lot longer, will have been owed considerably more, and to be fair, they stuck around to give us a team to watch and support which they didn't need to do, and have families to support.

DC