New, new ground

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

New, new ground

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:58 am

Seems Scunthorpe have had enough of Glanford Park and are on the move again.

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/EX ... story.html

Safe to say it not one of my favorite grounds and I doubt will be missed my many, but it is relatively new and I wonder where 18 million is coming from for the new stadium which increases attendance by just short of 3000.

Darlo_Pete

Re: New, new ground

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:51 pm

I loved their old ground in the town centre.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I loved their old ground in the town centre.
The first cantilevered stand in the country...

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old- ... index.html

The proposed new ground looks excellent - but only 12,000 capacity. £18 million to only get another 3000 or so bums on seats? I always thought Glanford Park was expandable.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:45 pm

They don't need the new ground for more seats - they rarely sell out anyway (when a big League One club comes to town). Suspect this is more about commercial opportunities and getting out of a corrugated s*** tip.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:19 pm

The ground is very limited in size with a small pitch 112m x 72m I think with very little run off area before the stand, apart from that it's a s*** hole and the scene of one of my most disappointing games I ever saw Darlo play, good riddance to it.
As it happens the land around it is been redeveloped and it's worth a few quid........

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:31 pm

Hate the place....... been 4 times and seen us lose 5-1 in 89 and get relegated out of division 4, lose 2-1 couple of years later and not win the division 4 title that week, Draw 3-3 in 96 and not get promoted and end up in the play offs, then early 2000s i think? saw us get hammered about 7 nil :x

Wont be sorry to see the back of the place

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:47 pm

DC I think it was 7-1 and we had 3 players sent off if i recall, we played them a couple of weeks later and got hammered again

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:24 pm

I went twice and saw 1-0 wins both on the last day of the season I think.

One from Marco
The other time maybe from Super Baz

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:36 pm

On the plus side, I went to a game round about 15 years ago and left my car keys sticking out of the boot lock! The car was new and I'd got mixed up!

I got summoned by the P.A. at half time to the police office (top left hand corner of the car park side stand) where I had to prove who I was and describe the car and keys.

Some honest people had locked up my car without nicking anything, and handed in my keys :thumbup:

And as for the 7-1 game, it stays in my memory due to the Alcock songs.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

magic1

Post by magic1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:37 pm

The 3-3 game in 1996 was my first away game, the atmosphere was amazing as a 16 year old, still can't believe we didn't win and get promoted.

Bizarrely enough the 7-1 defeat there is one of my favorite ever games, think Baz got sent off within 10 minutes then Mark Ford followed and by that time we were in disbelief but the singing was constant, non-stop from about 15 minutes in, there was only a couple of hundred of us but felt like more.

Hey, Alcock, I wanna know, why your such a c**t.............

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:54 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:DC I think it was 7-1 and we had 3 players sent off if i recall, we played them a couple of weeks later and got hammered again
Yep, despite the result it sticks in my mind as one of the best Darlo matches I've been to. Strange one.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:44 pm

I only visited it once on the final day of the 2003/04 season we won 1-0 as mentioned above with a goal early on from Barry Conlon. I also recall that 7-1 mauling back in the 2001/02 season, I didn't attend but I think it was reported that Paul Alcock's performance was so diabolical that Tommy Taylor had threatened to keep the players in the dressing room at half time!

I remember it was surrounded by a large retail park? Much like Walsall. Also the ground itself resembled an industrial unit barring it's floodlights! In fairness though despite its bland appearance it was a tidy compact little ground suited to Scunthorpe's needs. Seems a little bit of a waste with it still being fairly new but I can only assume the lack of available land around it is the reason they're wanting to relocate.

The new design looks like a smaller version of Rotherham's new ground though! However good luck to them and I look forward to visiting it in the future... :silent:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly