DARLO vs TEAMS IN THE CURRENT PREMIER LEAGUE

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Rufusuk
Team Supported: Darlington

DARLO vs TEAMS IN THE CURRENT PREMIER LEAGUE

Post by Rufusuk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:38 am

Which of these teams have we played against, when and what was the most memorable?
I can remember some:-

ARSENAL Jan 1956 F A Cup Round 3. Lost 0-2.
Helped clear the snow off the pitch!

ASTON VILLA Round 3 F A Cup 1999, lost 2-1 away
Also lost to Gillingham in Round 2 but got through
as lucky losers replacing Man U who opted out to
play in World Club Championship

BURNLEY F A Cup Round 1 1998, played at Boro due
to waterlogging at Feethams. Won 3-2, with 2
(3?) goals in last few minutes.

CHELSEA Famous Cup games in F A Cup Round 4 1958
Drew 3-3 away , won replay 4-1 (aet), filmed
by Pathe news!

CRYSTAL PALACE League Cup 1960 won 1-0. Next round beat West
Ham

EVERTON League Cup 1969 lost 1-0 at Feethams
League Cup 1978 lost 1-0 at Goodison

HULL CITY F A Cup Round 2 1960. Baxter 'scored' late on
but the ball went through a hole in the net at the
Tin Shed end. Lost 3-0 in the 4th REPLAY!!!

LEICESTER CITY League Cup round 2 1968 (H) lost 1-2

LIVERPOOL

MANCHESTER CITY F A Cup round 2 1998 1-1 home (on Sky?)
0-1 lost replay

MANCHESTER UTD

NEWCASTLE UTD February 26th 1944, won 8-2 !

QUEENS PARK RANGERS Division 3 league matches over Easter 1967
Good Friday lost 4-0 away (vs Rodney Marsh)
Easter Monday drew 0-0 home

SOUTHAMPTON

STOKE CITY 1991 / 1992 season league matches. At away
match Stoke fans chanted 'going down, going
down', and we chanted 'so are we, so are we'!

SUNDERLAND 1987 F A Cup Round 1 lost 2-0

SWANSEA CITY November 1985 Division 3. Won 6-0

TOTTENHAM

WEST BROM 1991 / 1992 season league matches

WEST HAM UTD League Cup 1961 ~ Won 3-2
Last edited by Rufusuk on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Makka Pakka

Re: DARLO vs TEAMS IN THE CURRENT PREMIER LEAGUE

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:02 pm

I was at the Stoke away game you mentioned. Friday night, and my 17th birthday! One of the more enjoyable 3-0 defeats.

Remember beating Swansea 3-2 at home 97/8. Team: Preece, Gray A (Robinson), Barnard, Brydon, Turnbull (Guimarra), Hope, Oliver, Atkinson (Shutt), Roberts, Naylor, Brumwell.
Goals from Daz Roberts and Glenda (2)
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:04 pm

We beat Swansea 6-0 in the 85/86 season I think, I was there. 4-0 at half time.

Other teams that have been in the premier league in recent seasons - Wolves, Bolton, Derby, Reading - we played and beat them all in that very same season. IIRC we ended Reading's 13 match winning start.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Stu_1

Post by Stu_1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Stoke City (a) 22/08/06 League Cup
We won 2-1 after having Craig James sent off inside the first 10mins, went 1-0 down if i remember rightly! I think Joachim scored the winner

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:20 pm

I find it hard to believe we've never played either the Mags or Mackems in a competitive match. That is a shock.

Wasn't the Villa cup match in Jan 2000, and not 1999? Also, are we officially the only side ever to be knocked out of a cup competition more times than we've entered it?

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:24 pm

dickdarlington wrote:I find it hard to believe we've never played either the Mags or Mackems in a competitive match. That is a shock.

Wasn't the Villa cup match in Jan 2000, and not 1999? Also, are we officially the only side ever to be knocked out of a cup competition more times than we've entered it?

We played Sunderland in The FA Cup in 1987, losing 2-0.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:25 pm

We have never played Tottenham, Man Utd or the Skunks in a competitive match, but we have played at White Hart Lane, Old Trafford and Sid James' Park in competitive matches!
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Quakerz wrote:We beat Swansea 6-0 in the 85/86 season I think, I was there. 4-0 at half time.

Me too. Poskett, McLean 2 pens, Roberts, Tupling and MacDonald got the goals if memory serves me right!

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:42 pm

Lost 1-2 at home to Leicester in R2 of the League Cup in 1968. Leicester were in the top flight at the time and I think were relegated at the end of the season but not before getting to the FA Cup Final, which they lost 0-1 against Man City.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:45 pm

We played Southampton c1980 in a fund-raising match at Feethams. Can't remember the score but David Speedie scored a hat-trick.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:06 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:Lost 1-2 at home to Leicester in R2 of the League Cup in 1968. Leicester were in the top flight at the time and I think were relegated at the end of the season but not before getting to the FA Cup Final, which they lost 0-1 against Man City.
I was at this game...If I remember correctly Allan Clarke scored against us..Think he was the most expensive transfer at that time

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:17 pm

The Man City games I sort of remember from 1998. In the replay we took them all the way to extra time.

I know Danny Tiatto got a straight red and I think Gabbiadini might have picked up a second yellow for his involvement after it? A tackle on Glenn Naylor may have been at the centre of it?

Remember Glenn Naylor almost caught out Nicky Weaver as he came out of his box to the left near his goal line, he was closed down quickly and only just managed to get it back into his penalty area to pick it up.

This is probably one of those things that are only truly memorable as a 9 year old. I know it was late into the night when we ended up heading home as that was the excuse given by the driver when pulled over by the police for going a tad fast!

The Burnley game at the Riverside. Mark Barnard scored the winner on that day, was Stan Ternant sent to the stands for his reaction after their main striker was sent off as well?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:We have never played Tottenham, Man Utd or the Skunks in a competitive match, but we have played at White Hart Lane, Old Trafford and Sid James' Park in competitive matches!
I went to watch Darlo play at White Hart Lane an about a third FA Cup replay against Orient. Rather bizarely there were Darlo, Orient, Tottenham and Millwall fans at the game. Needless to say the Millwall fans turned up just looking for trouble. Darlo lost I think 1-0 and I got back to Darlo at about 4am on the train.

piggy

Post by piggy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:04 pm

lo36789 wrote:The Man City games I sort of remember from 1998. In the replay we took them all the way to extra time.

I know Danny Tiatto got a straight red and I think Gabbiadini might have picked up a second yellow for his involvement after it? A tackle on Glenn Naylor may have been at the centre of it?

Remember Glenn Naylor almost caught out Nicky Weaver as he came out of his box to the left near his goal line, he was closed down quickly and only just managed to get it back into his penalty area to pick it up.

This is probably one of those things that are only truly memorable as a 9 year old. I know it was late into the night when we ended up heading home as that was the excuse given by the driver when pulled over by the police for going a tad fast!

The Burnley game at the Riverside. Mark Barnard scored the winner on that day, was Stan Ternant sent to the stands for his reaction after their main striker was sent off as well?
Yeah remember both those games against City. First one at Feethams was on a Friday night and live on sky. Gary 'Definitely so' Bennett put us ahead and I think Paul Dickov might have equalized late on. Steve Gaughan got a red card from Barry Knight in injury time.
The Burnley game at the Riverside was the round before, and is up there for one of my greatest Darlo games! Two down with ten mins to go. Payton sent off for them and they just capitulated. Mario Dorner made it 2 all and then up popped Barnard. Brillant!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:07 pm

We played Newcastle United on numerous occasions in the War Time league. Most notable was an 8-2 victory. Sunderland did not join the league in the 1939-40 season but we played them in 1943-44 when we re-joined the league after an absence of 3 years.
It has long been a matter for debate as to whether war league goals should stand towards a players career goals. Jackie Milburn not Alan Shearer would be Newcastle's top scorer if they had counted.
Prior to these games does no one remember the "Victory League" of 1919 the previous time that Newcastle's senior side had visited Feethams in a competitive match.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:11 pm

In the first City game we should have had a penalty in the 90th minute when Oliver got flattened in the box. Right in front of the Tin Shed. I can still see it clear to this day. B*****d ref!

I can't remember much about the Burnley game. Aside from it was freezing and foggy. And that we were sat right at the back of the North Stand, trying to shelter from the cold. And when Barnard scored the winner my mate fell down the steps because he couldn't believe it.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Remember getting hit with marbles thrown by everton supporters at 1978 league cup game, was it a penalty?supporters bus had window put out, very windy drive back on m62. Burnley come back game at riverside was great night.

footifan

Post by footifan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:28 pm

08 Oct 1975 West Ham United v Darlington 3-0 League Cup
I remember going down on the train to watch this game... we played better than the score suggested

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:01 pm

banktopp wrote:Prior to these games does no one remember the "Victory League" of 1919 the previous time that Newcastle's senior side had visited Feethams in a competitive match.
You inspired me to look further back and actually we did spend one season (1892/3) in the Northern League with Newcastle United. Don't know the scores but we finished bottom (of 6 teams) with 2 wins out of 10.

eddiegrundy

Post by eddiegrundy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:10 pm

Leicester City - Played them at home in the second round of the League Cup, 4/9/68. We lost 2-1. The Despatch had a photo of Lance Robson blasting the ball past Peter Shilton. He was well off-side but the photo looked so good the Despatch used it for ages afterwards. I can't remember the scorers but I think Allan Clarke got one for them. Was it Harry Kirk for us?

eddiegrundy

Post by eddiegrundy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:14 pm

footifan wrote:08 Oct 1975 West Ham United v Darlington 3-0 League Cup
I remember going down on the train to watch this game... we played better than the score suggested

I went to that one too and agree with you on that. I've still got the match programme - picture of Trevor Brooking on the back.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:28 pm

loan_star wrote:
Quakerz wrote:We beat Swansea 6-0 in the 85/86 season I think, I was there. 4-0 at half time.

Me too. Poskett, McLean 2 pens, Roberts, Tupling and MacDonald got the goals if memory serves me right!
Poskett - old "Pisscunt" used to get a bit of stick!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:03 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:We played Southampton c1980 in a fund-raising match at Feethams. Can't remember the score but David Speedie scored a hat-trick.
We won 5-2 I believe.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:42 am

lots of wins there then lol

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:06 pm

Sunderland away in the cup '87 was bedlam on the train - anyone remember the football specials ? I was in the home end (clock stand) for that game, remember seeing the away corner absolutely rammed with Darlo.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:48 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:We played Southampton c1980 in a fund-raising match at Feethams. Can't remember the score but David Speedie scored a hat-trick.
We won 5-2 I believe.
Southampton had played a league game the day before and still turned out a virtually full first team to play the fund raiser
George Courtney was the referee that day!

Game was preceeded by a women's FA Cup tie - semi- final I believe Cleveland Ladies (?) losing the game

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Not a cup game but my favourite Hull memory was them battering us for 90 minutes in the last ever game at their old ground, us nicking a goal against the run of play just before half time and them being somehow unable to score any of the 400 clear cut chances they had! Michael Ingham had a stormer of a game in goal!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Breedon wrote:Not a cup game but my favourite Hull memory was them battering us for 90 minutes in the last ever game at their old ground, us nicking a goal against the run of play just before half time and them being somehow unable to score any of the 400 clear cut chances they had! Michael Ingham had a stormer of a game in goal!
Simon Betts goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNZ2pmlf5kU

HurworthMan

Post by HurworthMan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:24 pm

Darlo v Manchester United at Feethams 26 November 1990.

....well it was an early round of the FA Youth Cup, so doesn't really count. The score from memory was 8 or 9 - 0. What is well remembered is that a 16 year old Ryan Giggs scored 5 of them. so that rather gives away which team won!

Sean Gregan played for Quakers and Simon Davies for United. Can't recall any other names of those yet to make their mark who turned out. Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes etc were not yet on the scene.
MARCHING ON TOGETHER

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:26 pm

HurworthMan wrote:Darlo v Manchester United at Feethams 26 November 1990.

....well it was an early round of the FA Youth Cup, so doesn't really count. The score from memory was 8 or 9 - 0. What is well remembered is that a 16 year old Ryan Giggs scored 5 of them. so that rather gives away which team won!

Sean Gregan played for Quakers and Simon Davies for United. Can't recall any other names of those yet to make their mark who turned out. Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes etc were not yet on the scene.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mancheste ... 077688508/