Match updates

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match updates

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:18 pm

As was mentioned be stoddart because they were let down by caterer they were quite accommodating and let fans leave the ground at half time to go to the shops round the corner for food/drink.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:23 pm

lo36789 wrote: As for Salford not being prepared. They had caterers lined up who let them down the dogs abuse one Darlo fan gave the poor girls trying to serve people food was nothing short of a disgrace. The common denominator with problems seems to be us - it's part and parcel of a large fan base maybe but we can't go pointing a finger.
I think thats a poor excuse from Salford. No caterer is going to pass up the chance of around 1000 potential customers. Even if their first choice let them down I would hazard a guess that there are plenty more caterers in the Manchester area who could step in at short notice.
There was also a distinct lack of disabled facilities, not that it affects me personally, but there was one wheelchair bound Darlo fan that had issues with going to the toilet. Not nice being disabled but even worse when basic facilities aren't available and you have to virtually go to the toilet in front of loads of people.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:51 am

It may be, but if our burger van didn't show up on match day would we have one set a side in reserve to cover?

Got to remember that on a match day most club officials are pretty busy from the minute they arrive at a ground at around midday to when people leave at about 18:30. I can easily see how something like that would be quite difficult to resolve so late in the day. The suggestion wasn't that the caterer called and said "sorry, got a better offer" it was that they were arranged and just did not turn up.

The disabled toilets things I am surprised that at this level they don't have the facilities to cater for that, they should do and that is quite unforgivable and I am surprised it has not been an issue until today? The context of this discussion was that Salford somehow didn't care for our fans and they should have been bending over backwards to accommodate us since we traveled in our numbers so far.

Do I think things could have been better, yes. Do I think it was some sort of crime, not really.

Disabled toilets element aside, the other incidents that are being reported/I witnessed eg. assault, abusive and threatening behaviour and the overall ill discipline of our playing and management team, were altogether more embarrassing and left a bigger impression on me than the lack of catering and programmes.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:00 am

I can't believe we're talking about catering. We lost fair and square. The Salford managers deserve huge credit. When they get then promoted next season.

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:33 am

There was disabled toilet facilities, in the bar locked during the game

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:34 am

Oh and btw wasn't Martin Gray's last ban for 6games? I wouldn't be surprised if it is 8-10 this time. I don't believe cummulative punishment is restricted to the same playing season if you are a persistent offender. His 6 game ban was the start of this season as well - so potentially out of 42 league games he could have missed a third of them.

Oh and since we got more than 5 cautions during a game I believe that is an additional £1,000 on top of the circa £300 in actual fines we will have gotten today. At least that's what I was told by another club in the past.

Expensive day a round!

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:46 am

quakerste wrote:Today the ref was strong enough to stand up to it, he deserved to go.

The ref strong? He wasn't strong when it mattered in sending off their goalkeeper. He wasn't strong (our perhaps interested) in dealing with the number of late challenges they were putting in.

Not the reason we lost but didn't help. Things could have been very different had their keeper been off. I also don't think resorting to a red is a sign of strength. It seems that the Mitchell sending off was a sign he lost it not a sign of strength.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:03 am

It was never a red for the goalkeeper, the ref got it right with the yellow. There was a lot of niggley tackles all game most of which he saw or tried to play advantage. At half time the ref told MG he was not going to tolerate the abuse, so we were warned.

The ref never cost us the three points it was down to selection, tactics, poor performances and lack of discipline.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:10 am

Sounds like bad day all around for Darlo and yet again we let the opposition get to us, we do act like big time Charlie's at times, well if we do blow it from here we have no one to blame but ourselves, put it behind us and move on, I'm not sure how MG can bollock the players over indiscipline when he can't keep a civil tongue in his head, I admire his passion but think he acts like a spoilt brat at times.

We are better than this, let's go win the league

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:23 am

I don't think the ref cost us the game (we were very put) just don't think he was good or strong. I was the other end (and opposite corner) of the pitch but it looked a red to me. Cartman got the ball and was getting away before being hauled down by keeper. It was a simple finish from 20 yards into an open net. There was a defender back but nowhere near. He wouldn't have got to Cartman or between him and the goal in time.

As I say, I was a fair distance away but that was how it looked to me.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:28 am

It goes to show where some people's priorities lie if we're doing a detailed analysis of catering and drink facilities.

I'm able to go a few hours without shoving a lukewarm pie or a cheeseburger made of plastic down my throat.

I've never understood why catering always prompts such a frenzied discussion on this board.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:40 am

Because it was a cold miserable outing and anything would have been a welcome distraction - either eating the mangy cheeseburger or complaining about it

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:45 am

It wasn't even close to a red for their keeper. For starters Cartman jumped into him to get the ball out his hands (see Tim's photo) - I think a few stood next to me thought Cartman might have walked for it, he was then basically on the goal line, facing the corner flag. He didn't at any point have control of the ball stood up. He was still getting up from his tackle with the keeper when he was just held back down. I think anyone would be hard pushed to say that was a obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Gramps I completely agree re catering. It seems to be being used to vindicate vandalism, violence and abuse, as if yeh I know that happened but what do you expect when we don't have easy access to burgers and bovril.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:33 am

The ref got the decision right to only give their keeper a yellow card, I reckon there was at least one defender behind the incident.

TDS

Post by TDS » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:52 pm

Lol lo. As a ref, I'm hardly surprised you have stuck up for him here. The Lino made zero decisions and looked about twelve. Had his hand held all game by the ref and listened to all their players had to say. Whitey let us all down massively but I'd be pretty pissed off too if we were dropping like flies and not one free kick was given. What about when Thommo was chasing the ball down towards the dugouts and their player tripped up his own player and Thommo got a card?! Complete clown.

He is also known for his cards across the league.

Now onto the fans, if you happily take money from people and offer a substandard service, or long queues or lack of toilets. People will get irate. That's the same everywhere. So let's not limit it to football fans. Ultimately, numerous things were getting on peoples tits. Catering and lack of was one of those things. Their own fans are in agreement too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:57 pm

From where I was it looked as though he nicked and was never able to quite get up and running as the keeper was all over him and eventually dragged him down. If Cartman fouled the keeper to get the ball then freekick if not then should probably have been red no? I know he was facing into the corner and didn't quite have full control but that was in part because he was unable to stand up and get away. I still don't think there was a defender anywhere near enough to stop a goal. On balance from that far you'd expect him to score.

Like I say I was probably in the worst place possible to see the foul but that's just how I read it.

Edit: just had a look at the photos and can't see how it isn't a sending off. Cartman looks to jump in and win it as he's entitled to do and the keeper jumps straight on his back.

Also, did this not take place just outside the box? Looked it to me in the first instance but guess not if the keeper is diving for it.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:18 pm

TDS wrote:Now onto the fans, if you happily take money from people and offer a substandard service, or long queues or lack of toilets. People will get irate. That's the same everywhere.
We've already established that, but the point is that they shouldn't.

You're there to watch a game of football; everything else is secondary.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:26 pm

The ball was in the box when the keeper had it. Cartman then jumped in took it out of his hands, it rolled outside the box and that's when he was grabbed.

If you look back I don't defend the referee in fact I said he was basically his own worst enemy, too lethargic and didn't raise his game with the temperature of the game. If he had been sharp into tackles getting players away, dealing with things proactively then it wouldn't have boiled over. What I did say though is that I don't think his overall decision making was particularly poor.

I know both assistant referees unsurprisingly. Again not sure what they could have got involved in really. They gave fouls when they saw them, did offsides and throwins. Again you may disagree with some decisions but none were major.

I don't think aerial challenges went unnoticed, if anything we got a couple of cheap ones. Armstrong might appeal when he is beaten in the air but he would be smirking if he got the free kicks.

As for White from what I understand he was given a final warning and in no uncertain terms if you say anymore you will walk, as soon as referee says that he has to stand by it otherwise the dissent levels from everyone else will just descend into chaos - until that point you are usually pretty safe - and ref will always give that final warning before an SO for dissent. I am surprised Brown didn't pick one up himself, every other photo from the game seems to be him questioning the referee.

If we had focussed more on what we were doing rather than everything else we would have won that game. Biggest positive for me is that Salford were as equally poor as us and they will certainly lose more points this season.

SFG

Post by SFG » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Was standing in the corner where the incident took place with some Salford fans. The "red card" incindent was as described by some above.

Keeper slipped outside box, then struggled to get back into his area. Tried to pick up the ball. Cartman slid in. Ball wasn't under keepers control. Ran loose. Keeper tussled with Cartman as they got up. Cartman got closest to ball and was then rugby tackled (outside box).

Salford supporters were expecting a red card and penalty.

Anyone know what happened to the guy who was lying on the ground on the road above the ground. Was taken to hospital by ambulance before game?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Lol just watched 60 seconds highlights you can hear White's fatal shout!

Why were Salford fans expecting a penalty when as you just said where you stood it was outside the box?

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 pm

As a former match official at this level, not that it makes my opinion gospel, it was a definite red.

Denying a goal scoring opportunity has nothing to do with 'last man'.

Would Cartman have had a realistic scoring opportunity if he wasn't fouled by an opponent?

Yes, although a wide angle, it would have been a relatively simple finish for a player of this level of football.

But, ultimately, we lost because of our own dire performance, not because of the poor performances of match officials or the terrible hospitality of Salford.

darlo1883

Post by darlo1883 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:06 pm

kick up the arse we needed...talking to Harry Dunn a few weeks ago and he said we were not playing very well...hard to believe considering the run we were on.All teams will drop points let's get behind the team,the players will be wishing they could play today to put it right.

SFG

Post by SFG » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Why were Salford fans expecting a penalty when as you just said where you stood it was outside the box?

Initial grappling was inside penalty area ("6 of one" in my opinion)

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:00 pm

We miss Purewal badly, any idea when he's back? Don't see the point in signing Cartman if we're not going to play to his strengths.

TS3

Post by TS3 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:41 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:You're there to watch a game of football; everything else is secondary.
Sorry, if this is the case then why do clubs bother with anything aside from entry to the ground.

Having been to a number of Boro away matches over the past few months, if there was no food/drink/betting available pre/mid/during the game there would be so much coverage in the Gazette.

Clubs need to cater for supporters at all levels of the game, whether they are flush with cash or not.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:46 pm

TS3 wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:You're there to watch a game of football; everything else is secondary.
Sorry, if this is the case then why do clubs bother with anything aside from entry to the ground.

Having been to a number of Boro away matches over the past few months, if there was no food/drink/betting available pre/mid/during the game there would be so much coverage in the Gazette.

Clubs need to cater for supporters at all levels of the game, whether they are flush with cash or not.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
Ossett Albion managed quite successfully the previous week, albeit with a smaller crowd, but they had more catering staff on hand.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:49 pm

lo36789 wrote:Oh and btw wasn't Martin Gray's last ban for 6games? I wouldn't be surprised if it is 8-10 this time. I don't believe cummulative punishment is restricted to the same playing season if you are a persistent offender. His 6 game ban was the start of this season as well - so potentially out of 42 league games he could have missed a third of them.

Oh and since we got more than 5 cautions during a game I believe that is an additional £1,000 on top of the circa £300 in actual fines we will have gotten today. At least that's what I was told by another club in the past.

Expensive day a round!
Since when did punishments from a previous season affect the current season? It will be the standard ban if they feel the ref didn't overreact to Gray being sarcastic. If we go off your thinking then White will be banned for the rest of the season since he must have been booked dozens of times in his career!

Ray Simpson

Post by Ray Simpson » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:00 pm

just got this from the Salford programme ed.

To all Darlington fans,

I am very sorry that the programmes sold out before the game and many people, both Darlo and Salford fans couldn't get one, including myself! Unfortunately due to printing deadlines, the original estimated crowd and our recent sales we printed too few.

If you want a programme from the game then please email me at gi.lyons@yahoo.co.uk and I will happily send you a PDF version (approx 20meg).

Once again my apologies,

Gareth Lyons

Salford City F.C.

Matchday Programme Editor

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:45 pm

TS3 wrote:
That's not what he's saying. The point is that people shouldn't be getting so wound up about it, to the point where they are (allegedly) abusing others at the game, or slating the other club on a messageboard.

There are some people who seem more bothered about whether they can get a pre-match pint or a burger at the game, rather than the football itself.

I've not got anything against food etc at matches, but surely the football is the most important thing.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:03 pm

loan_star wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Oh and btw wasn't Martin Gray's last ban for 6games? I wouldn't be surprised if it is 8-10 this time. I don't believe cummulative punishment is restricted to the same playing season if you are a persistent offender. His 6 game ban was the start of this season as well - so potentially out of 42 league games he could have missed a third of them.

Expensive day a round!
Since when did punishments from a previous season affect the current season? It will be the standard ban if they feel the ref didn't overreact to Gray being sarcastic. If we go off your thinking then White will be banned for the rest of the season since he must have been booked dozens of times in his career!
One of the most high profile incidents at the World Cup this year showed it. Luis Suarez' punishment has got more severe for every biting incident.

I don't know how it works but I also know lads from when I was younger if they had previous for violent conduct their bans get longer and longer.