Greetings all

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Greetings all

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Just signed up for the forum. Swansea City fan but lived in the North East for a good 12 years now (most of it in Stockton) and until recently I lived in Darlo itself...

I go to Darlo games with another Swans fan who also lives up here... and we've just been joined in our ranks for the next game we can get to against Lancaster (we're away in Burnley with the Swans for the Bamber Bridge game) by a Cardiff fan.... no, it's not a bad joke, it's true...

I live in Marske now so usually pick him up from Stockton on the way to Bishop... it's a s0d of a drive so looking forward to getting back to Blackwell so we can get the train and have a few beers on a match-day

Looking forward to posting and enjoying the long road back to where this club belongs...

Up the boys in black and white (there... that covers both my teams). :thumbup:

Henley
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Greetings all

Post by Henley » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Welcome, my Jack friend.

Did you go to the Swans v Darlo game that was scheduled during Noah's flood?

I was coming from the outlaws in Bridgend and we'd parked up in the car park next to the council building in Swansea. It had been raining incessantly for 24 hours by this point. We were sat in the car when the DFC supporters bus came into the car park. About 5 seconds later it was announced on the radio that the match was postponed.

Those poor Darlo fans.

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Welcome on board x

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:04 pm

Welcome aboard.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:08 pm

If that was the game I'm thinking of I got dropped off at the rugby ground by mistake, had to walk into the city center while it was pissing down only to find it had been called off. I ended up spending the after shopping with the wife and her friend before heading home to caerphilly about 6.30.......We got stuffed either 5-0 or 5-1 in the rearranged game on a cold Tues night..

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:33 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:Just signed up for the forum. Swansea City fan but lived in the North East for a good 12 years now (most of it in Stockton) and until recently I lived in Darlo itself...

I go to Darlo games with another Swans fan who also lives up here... and we've just been joined in our ranks for the next game we can get to against Lancaster (we're away in Burnley with the Swans for the Bamber Bridge game) by a Cardiff fan.... no, it's not a bad joke, it's true...

I live in Marske now so usually pick him up from Stockton on the way to Bishop... it's a s0d of a drive so looking forward to getting back to Blackwell so we can get the train and have a few beers on a match-day

Looking forward to posting and enjoying the long road back to where this club belongs...

One of my fav places to visit Swansea.....went on New Years Day last year to watch City and had a great time,made me very welcome in a pub on the way up to the ground,cant recall the name but they liked me as they said I looked like a famous keeper Roger Freestone that played for the Swans 80/90s..........having since seen a photo of him im not flattered!

I met a lad this season at Mossley who was from Oldham but lived in Darlo for a few years in the past so like you follows the club when he can.....good place Darlington.

Ps Im a Manc and had a City Season Ticket for 35 years but due to Darlo being kind to me in my chilhood by sending me a load of free programmes I have also followed them for 40 years as well.....given my Season Ticket away for Sat so I can go to Kendal....hope its bloody on now!

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Henley wrote:Welcome, my Jack friend.

I was coming from the outlaws in Bridgend and we'd parked up in the car park next to the council building in Swansea. It had been raining incessantly for 24 hours by this point. We were sat in the car when the DFC supporters bus came into the car park. About 5 seconds later it was announced on the radio that the match was postponed.

Those poor Darlo fans.
Was that about 1998? Think the rearranged game was 4-0? Around January time, unless I'm thinking of the wrong game?

I remember being at the snowy game at the arena. In the cup. Was also at the arena on a lovely hot day in May around 04 when Swans won 2-1... and Feethams on a warm summers evening in about 2002, early season, finished 2-2.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:49 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:Just signed up for the forum. Swansea City fan but lived in the North East for a good 12 years now (most of it in Stockton) and until recently I lived in Darlo itself...

One of my fav places to visit Swansea.....went on New Years Day last year to watch City and had a great time,made me very welcome in a pub on the way up to the ground,cant recall the name but they liked me as they said I looked like a famous keeper Roger Freestone that played for the Swans 80/90s..........having since seen a photo of him im not flattered!

I met a lad this season at Mossley who was from Oldham but lived in Darlo for a few years in the past so like you follows the club when he can.....good place Darlington.

Ps Im a Manc and had a City Season Ticket for 35 years but due to Darlo being kind to me in my chilhood by sending me a load of free programmes I have also followed them for 40 years as well.....given my Season Ticket away for Sat so I can go to Kendal....hope its bloody on now!
I used to live near your old ground in Moss Side. Lovely place.

Jokes aside, I absolutely loved Manchester. I was there for about four months and can't remember any of it... not even the name of the street I lived on... big 3 story house near some shops and takeaways. 50p on the bus into town and 75p a pint in the indie clubs... heaven!

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:55 pm

karlo-cardiff wrote:If that was the game I'm thinking of I got dropped off at the rugby ground by mistake, had to walk into the city center while it was pissing down only to find it had been called off. I ended up spending the after shopping with the wife and her friend before heading home to caerphilly about 6.30.......We got stuffed either 5-0 or 5-1 in the rearranged game on a cold Tues night..
Where in Ceeerdiff are you living karlo?

I'm from Port Talbot originally. For those who don't know it, it's like a sh*t version of Redcar but a bit warmer.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:59 pm

That snowy game at the Arena was probably the best game I saw at the Arena. I remember that Sarf came up for the midweek game with his middle daughter, all the way from Southend. Apparently it snowed from leaving home to getting to the Arena. As a joke I got one of the stewards to come into the bar, where we were having a pre-match drink or two and announce that the game was postponed, haha.

I think this was the same game where there was a drunk Swansea fan and stiv sang Men of Harloch from Zulu to him. The Swansea fan didn't know what to say.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 pm

I also remember when we played Cardiff at home at Feethams in the last game of the season. A win for Cardiff and they would make the play-offs, a loss and it would open the door for Swansea to make the play-offs. We beat Cardiff and their massed ranks didn't seem to be too happy as they invaded the pitch and we sand that Swansea were going up, which for some unknown reason didn't seem to placate the Cardiff fans. :D :D

Ricardo darlo

Post by Ricardo darlo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi swan ,you have inspired me to sign up as well after years of browsing .My first game was darlo v Swansea in 85ish we won 6-0 and I was hooked

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:56 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I also remember when we played Cardiff at home at Feethams in the last game of the season. A win for Cardiff and they would make the play-offs, a loss and it would open the door for Swansea to make the play-offs. We beat Cardiff and their massed ranks didn't seem to be too happy as they invaded the pitch and we sand that Swansea were going up, which for some unknown reason didn't seem to placate the Cardiff fans. :D :D
:clap:

I don't recall that but my mate who comes to Darlo games will, he's got a memory like Rain Man on him... what year was that?

I started going in the mid 90s during my early teens.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:58 pm

I actually live in Caerphilly..... slightly better than port Talbot but not a great deal in it.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Ricardo darlo wrote:Hi swan ,you have inspired me to sign up as well after years of browsing .My first game was darlo v Swansea in 85ish we won 6-0 and I was hooked
:thumbup:

Nice one Ricardo, bit before my time mate but sounds like a right hammering.

I must say, Darlo's plight really inspired me. I remember the Tony Petty era at Swans and can relate to scumbag business men ripping local clubs up like they're a toy that's last season's news. I'm really excited about being part of the rise back to the footbal league. I've seen first hand what can be achieved by a fan owned model, there's absolutely no reason why Darlo (we) can't achieve in the same way.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:41 pm

karlo-cardiff wrote:I actually live in Caerphilly..... slightly better than port Talbot but not a great deal in it.
I'd say a lot better.

Went to Caerphilly once, I had a season ticket at Neath RFC... Went to an away game there... This was back when we had a club game to be proud of, not the manufactured franchises we have now (Ospreys, Dragons etc)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:43 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I also remember when we played Cardiff at home at Feethams in the last game of the season. A win for Cardiff and they would make the play-offs, a loss and it would open the door for Swansea to make the play-offs. We beat Cardiff and their massed ranks didn't seem to be too happy as they invaded the pitch and we sand that Swansea were going up, which for some unknown reason didn't seem to placate the Cardiff fans. :D :D

I don't recall that but my mate who comes to Darlo games will, he's got a memory like Rain Man on him... what year was that?

I can't recall the year, but someone will on here.

Darlojack66

Post by Darlojack66 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Hi there just signed up for the forum I too am a big Swans fan since 1975 in fact seen plenty of highs and lows along the way.
But I do miss standing on the terraces still pine for the Vetch believe it or not.
Really enjoy watching Darlington though come on the black and whites and good luck for the rest of the season hopefully you will get back to the football League where you belong if Newport can do it so can the Quakers.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:

I can't recall the year, but someone will on here.
Morning Darlojack...

Do you remember this mate? You must do with your memory of games?

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:12 am

Darlo_Pete wrote: I can't recall the year, but someone will on here.
Last game of 96/7 season.

Team: Speare, Shaw, Barnard, Reed, Crosby, Hope, Oliver (Twynham), Naylor (Lowe), Roberts, Shutt, Jon Atkinson (Carss).

Goals: Shutt, Roberts
Attendance: 3,686
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:14 am

Makka Pakka wrote:

Team: Speare, Shaw, Barnard, Reed, Crosby, Hope, Oliver (Twynham), Naylor (Lowe), Roberts, Shutt, Jon Atkinson (Carss).

shudders at memory :lol:

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:41 am

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:

shudders at memory :lol:
If i'm not mistaken was he on loan from Everton and ended up just in a pair of pants having thrown everything else into the crowd like a club legend in his final game.

I think he played 2 games for us. All rather weird.

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 am

Those poor Darlo fans.
The aforementioned game was postponed on 23rd October 2004 and re-arranged for 17th November 2004.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:53 am

welcome to our crazy world, theres some nutters on here to keep you entertained

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:41 am

bertbanger wrote:welcome to our crazy world, theres some nutters on here to keep you entertained
Hope your not referring to me? :D :D :D :D

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:02 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
bertbanger wrote:welcome to our crazy world, theres some nutters on here to keep you entertained
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:11 pm

oo-eck the punctuation geeks are out again

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:

Ah, that was the infamous Northampton play off final. They had a free kick in the last minute which came to nothing, but the wall apparently broke too early to charge it down so the ref let them take it again. Don't need to tell you what happened with the re-take...

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Henley wrote:

Those poor Darlo fans.
The aforementioned game was postponed on 23rd October 2004 and re-arranged for 17th November 2004.
I was living up here at that time... I was at the reverse in the February. Think we lost that 2-1... Think Ryan Valentine scored late on...

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your