500 CLUB - PAYPAL ALTERNATIVE

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Maurice_Peddelty
Team Supported: Darlington

500 CLUB - PAYPAL ALTERNATIVE

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Just a thought for anyone that had been intending to use PayPal to buy a 500 Club ticket and that is (or has a partner that is) an employee of Darlington Borough Council, NHS, or Student Loan Company, you are eligible to apply to Darlington Credit Union for a loan. The arrangement between Darlington Credit Union and the above employers is that your application is guaranteed to be accepted.

Repayments are arranged through payroll deductions.

You can apply on line at www.darlingtoncreditunion.co.uk

Even if you are not an employee of the above organisations, you could apply but acceptance of your application would depend on your circumstances.

quakerlady

Re: 500 CLUB - PAYPAL ALTERNATIVE

Post by quakerlady » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Or if you can do so of course.
Apply for a 0% credit card and spread the cost that way

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:06 pm

quakerlady wrote:Or if you can do so of course.
Apply for a 0% credit card and spread the cost that way
Do you know of a credit card that does 0% on cash advances? You can't actually use the credit card itself to buy the ticket.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:32 pm

I heard a few people mention yesterday that they would only do so if they could pay by paypal. So the club needs to resolve this issue quickly.

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I heard a few people mention yesterday that they would only do so if they could pay by paypal. So the club needs to resolve this issue quickly.

Have you told them? The Club that is!

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:12 pm

charlie wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I heard a few people mention yesterday that they would only do so if they could pay by paypal. So the club needs to resolve this issue quickly.

I have Charlie, directly.

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:13 pm

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:
charlie wrote:

I have Charlie, directly.
Cheers Bob good to hear x

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Out of sheer curiosity what advantage is there to paying by PayPal anyway? Sorry if I'm being dumb but I genuinely don't understand why it would be a deal breaker? I thought PayPal just ended up deducting the money straight from a bank account anyway or is it possible to link it to a credit card account or something?

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:27 pm

m62exile wrote:Out of sheer curiosity what advantage is there to paying by PayPal anyway? Sorry if I'm being dumb but I genuinely don't understand why it would be a deal breaker?
Being able to pay with a credit or debit card.
With a credit card if you have one with 0% finance you can spread the payments all other methods you need the cash up front

Quakers23

Post by Quakers23 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:02 pm

If someone would be prepared to use PayPal, why wouldn't they simply send a BACS payment. It can be done online or at your bank, free of charge and secure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Yep I have my credit card linked and earn points on anything bought via paypal on the card.

I would assume the charge from PayPal to the club is a probably the standard 3.4%, maybe the extra costs were part of the issue.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Quakers23 wrote:If someone would be prepared to use PayPal, why wouldn't they simply send a BACS payment. It can be done online or at your bank, free of charge and secure!

Because you can pay on the card over time (months if you want) and after payday, BACS takes it straight away.

Quakers23

Post by Quakers23 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:22 pm

A lot of credit cards now offer a 0% rate to transfer funds into your current account, then just simply send a BACS and cut out PayPal completely. Same result just slightly different process.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:28 pm

charlie wrote:
m62exile wrote:Out of sheer curiosity what advantage is there to paying by PayPal anyway? Sorry if I'm being dumb but I genuinely don't understand why it would be a deal breaker?
Being able to pay with a credit or debit card.
With a credit card if you have one with 0% finance you can spread the payments all other methods you need the cash up front
Ok thanks for the answer.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Quakers23 wrote:A lot of credit cards now offer a 0% rate to transfer funds into your current account, then just simply send a BACS and cut out PayPal completely. Same result just slightly different process.

Been a while since I looked but which cards offer the facility to transfer cash into your bank and allow you to pay it back on 0%.

I have moved money on a card for a fee at 0% before but not taken cash out for no cost.

PaulMJohnson

Post by PaulMJohnson » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:52 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Yep I have my credit card linked and earn points on anything bought via paypal on the card.

I would assume the charge from PayPal to the club is a probably the standard 3.4%, maybe the extra costs were part of the issue.
As well as exorbitant fees, integrating PayPal into a payment flow is a pain in the tits.

I've just ripped the option out of our payment methods at work because the code to make it work was so horrible.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:38 am

I've been learning how to use stripe for on-line payments and its an absolute doodle compared to what I remember paypal being like. Unfortunately its only up to £20k per year you can put through unless you speak to them direct. Worth a look for anyone who is looking for an online payment solution.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:44 am

Quakers23 wrote:A lot of credit cards now offer a 0% rate to transfer funds into your current account, then just simply send a BACS and cut out PayPal completely. Same result just slightly different process.

Name me one who doesn't charge for this.

Post Office credit cards do allow a 0% cash advance credit card via a money transfer, but there is a 3% charge.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 am

Best credit card I can find is

-MBNA, 24 MONTHS 0%, 1.94% Money Transfer FEE.
https://apply.mbna.co.uk/UKNeoCCapp/ent ... CACPL005SP

This is a good offer if you get accepted.

Virgin do a 36 month 0% card, 4% fee.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.