From the Scarborough Newspaper

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

SeadogUpdate
Team Supported: Scarborough Athletic

From the Scarborough Newspaper

Post by SeadogUpdate » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:29 pm

http://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/new ... -1-7200841

Hope you can do something about these thugs who tarnish the good name of your town and club. I know 99% of you are decent fans.

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: From the Scarborough Newspaper

Post by divas » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Clearly not fans, just people from the area travelling to cause trouble. I wonder if they even went to the game.

There's absolutely nothing the club can do. It's a police matter.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:10 pm

The report certainly doesnt help the profile of our club, claiming Darlington fans caused terror on the terraces. The only hint of a problem in the ground was reported to of been from Scarborough 's fan base and it sounds like he was dealt with and removed from the ground. The report however makes it sound more like a full on riot caused by us, at no point did i notice any trouble, i was there with my 2 young children and at no point was i concerned about any trouble.

Away from the terraces however it would seem that a certain element of our following have once again caused us problems, one face being pictured was also pointed out at being involved in problems at Salford, noticed this person was in the ground and also attends games at Heritage Park

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:37 pm

divas wrote:Clearly not fans, just people from the area travelling to cause trouble. I wonder if they even went to the game.

The nothing to do with us approach is what football said back in the 1970s and 80s.

Whilst the people involved may not be welcomed by the football club, it is a problem the football club ( and football per se) have to recognise and work with the police to deal with.

It is not a problem that a football club on its own can resolve. It is especially difficult at lower levels of football to resolve as football banning orders do not apply. There are not full time football intelligence officers in the police etc.

That said, Darlington sending / offering to send their stewards is a very positive step and very welcome.

Darlington football club can ban people from their own ground, but sadly cannot prevent people travelling to away games or even entering away grounds.

The report sounds like very lazy cliched journalism. It paints a picture of complete disorder and anarchy. Strangely it seems at odds with every other report. The truth is something happened in a pub in Bridlington on a bank holiday. I am sure there is trouble most sunny bank holidays in Bridlington and nothing to do with football but more to do with drunken yobs

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:43 pm

As Divas says there is little to nothing the club can do. They can ban them from home games - I bet they barely come to home games anyway - but you can't stop them travelling. Its not like Europe where you can their passports off them. The absolute most they can do is pass the details of known trouble makers to opposition clubs and tell them to let them in. But without positive IDs and clear pictures that is not realistic either.

Its a police mater and to be honest I bet the police in either Bridlington or Darlington will not be arsed enough to do anything about it. Darlington because it didn't happen on their patch and Bridlington because a) its happened b) they've been moved on c) not worth the man power and the paper work.

Realistically what can the club do about events which unfold in the streets? Do we take the wrap for all in the crime in an area in a given day when we are there? Ironically there was next to no trouble in the ground. The one minor incident being a Scarborough fan who was ejected.

Unfortunately this is a byproduct of when you move a former league club, still with excellent support down the leagues.

isitouryear

Post by isitouryear » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:00 pm

It would be interesting to know what sparked that level of violence and which teams supporters were involved. I don't believe they walked into a pub and randomly attacked people of Bridlington/Scarborough.
That being said, this video and these scenes are disgusting. Throwing glasses & kicking off like that in a pub with elderly gentleman and kids is inexcusable. Do we really want our kids too scared to go to games?!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:29 pm

The one in the red t-shirt who must get checked by customs on the ferry incase he is hiding people under his t-shirt mustn't be too hard to find. He was on the video launching something. You suspect it was the ones not in shot at the end started it - so the ones who first entered the pub.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:58 pm

SeadogUpdate wrote:http://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/new ... -1-7200841

Hope you can do something about these thugs who tarnish the good name of your town and club. I know 99% of you are decent fans.
I wonder if you could do the same with the 1% of your fans as well?

I have been twice now and on both occassions "fans" of your club have also caused trouble.

At the Trophy game there were 6 or 7 of your "fans" mouthing at Darlo fans in the club bar at half time...your club staff did nothing which I found amazing.An old guy who clearly worked for the club was even laughing.I think one of these "fans" was from York and had a banning order.

A friend of mine who was with a couple of mates on the Scarborough train last Monday said he was accompanied by about "40 Scarborough nutters" (his words not mine) on the way down and was dreading going back on the same train.

I also was verbally abused when walking outside a pub close to the station on Monday with my 14 year old lad who had the audacity to wear his Darlo colours.

I suspect you have about as much chance as Darlo have of controlling lads that want to fight away from the ground but please dont come on here making out Scarborough fans are not involved in some way,far from it.

PaulMJohnson

Post by PaulMJohnson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:00 pm

divas wrote:Clearly not fans, just people from the area travelling to cause trouble. I wonder if they even went to the game.

There is something the club and it's genuine fans can do. It can very visibly encourage it's true supporters to watch the video and name names to the police.

Someone will know who that fat fucker in the red shirt who threw something at the end of the video is. Report it. Make it known that Darlo fans don't stand for things like this sullying the good name of the club.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:13 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote: Away from the terraces however it would seem that a certain element of our following have once again caused us problems, one face being pictured was also pointed out at being involved in problems at Salford, noticed this person was in the ground and also attends games at Heritage Park
In which case send an email to Dave Mills explaining this and next time you see him at HP point him out to the stewards if you can, it's the only way we will get rid of these morons, they look, walk and act like the bottom of the gene pool they obviously are spawned from.

Strangely they were not at Northwich in the sheet hail and snow last week!!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:46 pm

The scenes in the pub are disgraceful but the report's statement that

Loutish Darlington fans then caused terror on the terraces, as trouble spilled on to the stands and streets surrounding Scarborough’s Queensgate ground when the two sides clashed.

is an absolute travesty of the truth. It makes it sound like a match of mayhem and violence. There writes someone who clearly wasn't at the game, on the terraces, in the stands or in the surrounding streets.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:11 pm

Old tubby in the red shirt is often at home games. Perhaps he should be turned away for a year or two?

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 pm

He needs pointing out at the next game he's at to a club official then.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:19 pm

Same group of individuals who are always there when there is bother time the club banned them.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:26 pm

Sensationalism from this reporter,there was no such trouble in the stands or around queensgate,the guy was never anywhere near the ground absolute poppycock,it's mostly in his imagination apart from the pub scene which was atrocious and disrespectful for our Club being blamed for something which it has no control.
Darlo fans can help eradicate this behaviour by naming the participants who cannot show respect to our fellow fans .

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:00 pm

TFDM wrote:He needs pointing out at the next game he's at to a club official then.
Don't think the fat twat will take much pointing out Kev.This ugly,obese arsehole has been an embarrassment to the club for ages .

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Remember the tubby one in red from our game at Lincoln years ago under Hodgson, game we needed to win to have a chance of play offs but drew 1-1, bit of handbags at the front from afew idiots giving it large to the Lincoln fans, he was one of them stood behind the safety of a fence and some stewards

divas

Post by divas » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:59 pm

I'd be utterly amazed if the majority aren't already known by the police for similar offences over the last 10 years.

I'd also be very surprised if the police are overly interested in doing anything, and if they are the punishments will be useless.

These types used to appear when we played Hartlepool and to some extent other local teams during our league games. Police intelligence and monitoring of league games has eradicated a lot of the bother these days, but that very rarely extends to games at this level so they'll think they have free reign.

As I said earlier, it's a police matter if it's happening outside of the ground and up to them to police the areas we'll be visiting if they deem it a risk.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Last edited by comeondarlo on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:29 pm

what an embarrassment.

Not a darlo shirt amongst them I noticed. Not darlo fans, just people that use the football club as an excuse to cause violence.

I felt most sorry for the young families that rushed out the door

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:06 pm

We can't bury our heads in the sand any longer. These are not isolated incidents. We have a problem and until we accept it is prevelent and deal with it we will be stuck with it. We embarrassed ourselves in the Semi final last year, at Droylsden, $alford and now Bridlington. We need the likes of Stoddart and his cronies in the media to address this head on.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:15 pm

Quaker Mod wrote:We can't bury our heads in the sand any longer. These are not isolated incidents. We have a problem and until we accept it is prevelent and deal with it we will be stuck with it. We embarrassed ourselves in the Semi final last year, at Droylsden, $alford and now Bridlington. We need the likes of Stoddart and his cronies in the media to address this head on.
"We all need to deal with this issue."

"It's Craig Stoddart's responsibility."

Just one of many contradictions and inaccuracies in your post.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Quaker Mod wrote:We can't bury our heads in the sand any longer. These are not isolated incidents. We have a problem and until we accept it is prevelent and deal with it we will be stuck with it. We embarrassed ourselves in the Semi final last year, at Droylsden, $alford and now Bridlington. We need the likes of Stoddart and his cronies in the media to address this head on.

Not really, we all have a role to play, and the opportunities afforded to the media need to be utilised. But if your okay with the video waste your word attacking my post not the issue.

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:26 pm

The 2 major fixes to football hooliganism in the 80s were banning alcohol and installing video cameras in stadia. I saw people being let in at Salford who were so drunk they should have been turned away at the gate. This needs to change so fans travelling and getting drunk en-route know they won't get in. Also, as soon as trouble does start we all need to start the video rolling on our phones and pass this data on to the police. There is a lot that can be done about this!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:26 pm

Quaker Mod wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Not really, we all have a role to play, and the opportunities afforded to the media need to be utilised. But if your okay with the video waste your word attacking my post not the issue.
Aye, I'm all for hooligans running amok in pubs in front of families.

Stop being so paranoid and thin-skinned. I'm pointing out weaknesses in your argument, not "attacking" your post, to use your overly-dramatic language.

Who's the "we" who embarrassed themselves, that you referred to? Is it the hundreds and thousands of fans who went to the games and were perfectly well-behaved?

Yes there's an issue, but you're exaggerating it.

If we all have a part to play, what are you going to do? Apart lecturing everyone else anonymously on a messageboard?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:46 pm

There is a more fundamental issue as to whether our security based on a volunteering system is robust enough to cope with the externalities that may emerge from our advancement up the league and the pond life this may attract as an ex league club. Our top stewards were in action at Scarborough and did a great job, even acknowledged by the hosts. but if has got me thinking. I really don't know.

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:17 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Quaker Mod wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Aye, I'm all for hooligans running amok in pubs in front of families.

Stop being so paranoid and thin-skinned. I'm pointing out weaknesses in your argument, not "attacking" your post, to use your overly-dramatic language.

Who's the "we" who embarrassed themselves, that you referred to? Is it the hundreds and thousands of fans who went to the games and were perfectly well-behaved?

Yes there's an issue, but you're exaggerating it.

If we all have a part to play, what are you going to do? Apart lecturing everyone else anonymously on a messageboard?
I am not lecturing. But someone knows these people, let's name and shame them. It's less than a minority but perception if often greater than reality. Videos like that, with bains caught in the midst of it tarnishes our name as in we. We can sort this out and the media and Craig Stoddart have an unique platform from which to do this. I won't and don't behind this message board if I see wrong I address or attempt to at the point. These idiots give us a bad name and it's no wonder nobody likes us.

SalfordMan
Team Supported: Salford

Post by SalfordMan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:00 am

The tubby guy in the green and white stripped shirt is FRANK SMITH. If he goes to the home games he needs to be banned.

99% of the Darlo fans at the Salford game were fantastic, I spoke to quite a few and they felt embarrassed by some of the "non" Darlo fans.

Its understandably hard to keep tabs on these guys, but if the club can actively turn them away from the home games it would be a start.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:07 am

Last edited by comeondarlo on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:11 am

Last edited by comeondarlo on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.