Reserve Side News

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersam
Team Supported: Darlington

Reserve Side News

Post by quakersam » Mon May 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Next season's reserve team has been accepted into the Wearside League Development Division which is been launched this summer. 18 teams have been accepted into the league. Note this is not the Wearside League proper which may be a blessing given the likes of Whitehaven and Cleator Moor are in that league.
This new division will contain clubs from County Durham, Teesside and Tyne and Wear. Clubs that have the Step 7 ground grading will be eligible for the Shipowners Cup or Monkwearmouth Cup
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Darlo_Pete

Re: Reserve Side News

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 04, 2015 9:59 pm

So will there be promotion from the Development League into the normal Wearside League?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 pm

Don't know, but I would suspect not - then it isn't really a development league, it is just a division.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:27 am

Competitive matches are what will matter for our reserves, so this is a welcome piece of news. If we have a player who we want to play at a higher level then we can still loan them out to Northern League clubs.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat May 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:So will there be promotion from the Development League into the normal Wearside League?
Yes. There will be promotion into the Wearside League proper

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 09, 2015 7:52 pm

quakersam wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:So will there be promotion from the Development League into the normal Wearside League?
Yes. There will be promotion into the Wearside League proper
That's good news, there's nothing worse in playing in a league where you can't progress.

ian_brown
Team Supported: Fulchester United

Post by ian_brown » Mon May 11, 2015 11:06 am

It's a good move from the club and of the Wearside League to aim to create such a league. Know the Durham Alliance have echoed dissenting voices about it but then if you aren't looking for progression what's the point??

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon May 11, 2015 11:17 am

there's nothing worse in playing in a league where you can't progress
Try telling that to the Northern Leaguers.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

billyb

Post by billyb » Mon May 11, 2015 11:30 am

Quakersam, are you sure about the automatic promotion, I am unsure myself but I was under the impression that there was no automatic promotion and that clubs had to be voted into the Wearside League by member clubs. On a side note I don't think that the development league would be enough of a challenge for your reserves, they look good enough (on last seasons performance at Spennymoor) to do very well in the Wearside league (proper) and it appears that there is still a vacancy in the league.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 11, 2015 12:56 pm

billyb wrote:Quakersam, are you sure about the automatic promotion, I am unsure myself but I was under the impression that there was no automatic promotion and that clubs had to be voted into the Wearside League by member clubs. On a side note I don't think that the development league would be enough of a challenge for your reserves, they look good enough (on last seasons performance at Spennymoor) to do very well in the Wearside league (proper) and it appears that there is still a vacancy in the league.
Who do you support, billyb?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon May 11, 2015 1:03 pm

billyb wrote:Quakersam, are you sure about the automatic promotion, I am unsure myself but I was under the impression that there was no automatic promotion and that clubs had to be voted into the Wearside League by member clubs. On a side note I don't think that the development league would be enough of a challenge for your reserves, they look good enough (on last seasons performance at Spennymoor) to do very well in the Wearside league (proper) and it appears that there is still a vacancy in the league.
As far as I know, that was the information passed on from those in charge. There is a vacancy in the Wearside due to the promotion of Easington into NL2 however member clubs have to vote you in. We have been admitted to the development league therefore I assume we didn't apply for the Wearside. Both Murton FC and Windscale have applied.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 11, 2015 1:47 pm

Spyman wrote:
Who do you support, billyb?
Billyb is involved with Spenny but seems a genuine footy fan not one of those wind up merchants.

billyb

Post by billyb » Mon May 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks for that Les, I am as you suggested a director of STFC and in no way tribal. My allegiance to Spennymoor does not stop me from taking a genuine interest in other clubs.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon May 11, 2015 4:17 pm

billyb wrote:Thanks for that Les, I am as you suggested a director of STFC and in no way tribal. My allegiance to Spennymoor does not stop me from taking a genuine interest in other clubs.
I think the question was because your message seemed to imply you werent a Darlo fan, but your profile shows as supporting Darlo, so I'd guess just asking for clarification, we have Darlo 'supporting' Spen here after all :)

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon May 11, 2015 5:21 pm

That'll be the Spen that comes on here and enters conversations sometimes even making good points, but then trolls Darlo fans elsewhere and mocks "kyle uncovered". I think we can call it "two faced".

Billyb is nowt like that.

Good luck next season billyb, I've enjoyed the competition with Spennymoor.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed May 13, 2015 1:09 pm

In the late 60's and early 70's our reserves used to dominate the Wearside League and it didn't do them any harm at all in terms of development, as many progressed to first team and then on to transfers to bigger clubs.

Competition is important, but development of physical strength, team work & confidence is paramount.

Regular play against some adults in a local league is ideal.

LLB
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Post by LLB » Wed May 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Would hate it if my club did not apply for promotion...we may be nowhere near top 3 on the field right now but wow what a hollow feeling it would be if that chink of hope wasn't there in the first place! :crazy: :roll:

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed May 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:In the late 60's and early 70's our reserves used to dominate the Wearside League and it didn't do them any harm at all in terms of development, as many progressed to first team and then on to transfers to bigger clubs.

Competition is important, but development of physical strength, team work & confidence is paramount.

Regular play against some adults in a local league is ideal.
I'm in complete agreement.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 13, 2015 6:46 pm

LLB wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:
Would hate it if my club did not apply for promotion...we may be nowhere near top 3 on the field right now but wow what a hollow feeling it would be if that chink of hope wasn't there in the first place! :crazy: :roll:
Got to agree with you. Must be difficult to get excited about the next season when you know that it'll be the same year after year.

Any chance of you getting closer next season?

LLB

Post by LLB » Wed May 13, 2015 7:32 pm

D_F_C wrote:
LLB wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:
Got to agree with you. Must be difficult to get excited about the next season when you know that it'll be the same year after year.

i

I would like to think so but i can't see the likes of N.Shields, Marske & Shildon getting any
weaker!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 13, 2015 8:06 pm

LLB wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
LLB wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:

i

I would like to think so but i can't see the likes of N.Shields, Marske & Shildon getting any
weaker!
I'd read somewhere that Craddock was leaving Shildon and potentially going to Bish. Not sure if that's a wind up or not.

LLB

Post by LLB » Wed May 13, 2015 11:48 pm

Try telling that to the Northern Leaguers.[/quote]

Would hate it if my club did not apply for promotion...we may be nowhere near top 3 on the field right now but wow what a hollow feeling it would be if that chink of hope wasn't there in the first place! :crazy: :roll:[/quote]

Any chance of you getting closer next season?[/quote]i

weaker![/quote]

I'd read somewhere that Craddock was leaving Shildon and potentially going to Bish. Not sure if that's a wind up or not.[/quote]

Thats what i had heard too amongst a few others...however Craddock suffered a serious knee injury towards the end of the season.

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Wearside League AGM tonight - and according to our website were going for one of the 2 vacancies in the top division (created by Seaton Carew FC s demise and Easingtons promotion with no team relegated from the NL due to Celtic Nation folding). Club planning a presentation after canvassing support from current members. Dont hold your breath though - Reserve teams aren't flavour of the month in the Wearside since Spenny Res got in by what some members thought was the back door by taking over Coxhoe Athletic - one team still threatening to take that matter further despite having their appeal turned down by the FA.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Yeh but we're no Spennymoor, we do things by the book. I'd imagine that the prospect of a few extra people at games might just swing it our way. Jimmy do we know if there are any other applicants for a place in the top division?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Murton AFC, Hylton CW, Wallsend Town FC, Windscale, Seaham Res, Durham Res, Shildon Res

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Yeh but we're no Spennymoor, we do things by the book. I'd imagine that the prospect of a few extra people at games might just swing it our way. Jimmy do we know if there are any other applicants for a place in the top division?
its not the way they got in thats the biggie, mate. Its contracted players playing games when coming back from injury, regaining fitness etc that the problem is for some teams - last season one team took exception to having Andy Johnson play against them - but he did score a first half hat trick ;)

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:12 pm

and , to be fair to Spenny, they did save the Coxhoe team to play in that form rather than fold completely

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:47 pm

If you thought the Northern League was bad for being a small-minded old-boys club, the Wearside League is worse.

Murton have twice been rejected, and two years ago, two of the clubs who voted against Murton's application quit the league themselves not long after the AGM, denying Murton a place they should have had.

Hylton CW last year left the Durham Alliance league to come into the Wearside League, only for their application to be rejected, leaving them without a division for last season.

They are a funny bunch in the Wearside League, so anything could happen. Hope whoever is representing the club tonight has their wits about them.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Sounds a bit Royston Vasey

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good people around the league. Peter Maguire the chairman is really keen on seeing the league progress and improve, much more than say Mike Amos would with the Northern League.

But some of the old committee men can be a bit resistant to change.

To illustrate the point, one guy who's been involved with clubs in the league said on NLZ "I hope Murton and Hylton get in because it is the Wearside League."

That's despite teams from Cumbria, Teesside and North Yorkshire being in the division.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY