Recollections of 2009/10 - massive squad

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Recollections of 2009/10 - massive squad

Post by princes town » Fri May 22, 2015 11:37 am

Sky news reported that Blackpool used 50 players last season, the most used by any club since darlo in 2009/10. We used 54 players? I know we used a lot with loanees but that seems a bit over the top. Is the figure defo right?

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Recollections of 2009/10 - massive squad

Post by Spyman » Fri May 22, 2015 12:20 pm

I'm sure it is in that ball-park, yes.

We must've used 5 goalkeepers at least - Liversedge, Knight, Hoult, Pickford (?), and also that disaster who played one game against Notts County - Ashley something or other?

We had the small squad that Todd started with, which became supplemented by several loanees. Staunton had a revolving door in place, loads of Irish players, some inadequate loanees and a couple of dodgy free transfers. I don't think Davey brought too many in as it was late in the season by that point but I'm sure he still added a few new faces.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri May 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Feel like trying to see how many you can name? Someone made a quiz for that season here: http://www.sporcle.com/games/dtmy/dfcplayers09_10
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 22, 2015 1:36 pm

The crazy thing is, when you pick the best XI it's actually not as bad as the position we ended up in.

--------------Hoult-------------------

Miller-----Foster----White----Arnison

Moore-----Chandler---G.Smith----Devitt

------------Purcell-------?--------------

I'd have rather played with 10 men than pick any of the other forwards tho....

Essentially it was the nucleus of the trophy winning side

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 22, 2015 2:07 pm

divas wrote:The crazy thing is, when you pick the best XI it's actually not as bad as the position we ended up in.

--------------Hoult-------------------

Miller-----Foster----White----Arnison

Moore-----Chandler---G.Smith----Devitt

------------Purcell-------?--------------

I'd have rather played with 10 men than pick any of the other forwards tho....

Essentially it was the nucleus of the trophy winning side
Exactly - the nucleus of a decent Conference side. Miller, Arnison, Chandler, and Smith all looked a lot better in the Conference - maybe that team was reflective of that season's struggles and there was just a lot of players not quite up to League 2.

There was certainly a large element of bad management - remember Foster being side-lined by Singh/Staunton to avoid having to give him a contract extension?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 22, 2015 2:15 pm

A point I'd considered, but how many Conference teams go on to hold their own in the football league? Not saying we would have pulled up any trees but it's hard to think we'd struggle as badly as we did with decent management rather than trying to build a new team every 5 minutes.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri May 22, 2015 2:58 pm

I think even Dan Burn was used late on.

Gross mismanagement by Staunton unless there were factors at play that we don't know about. Money for example tied Staunton's hands.

I'm not sure how you are supposed to generate any team spirit with that level of staff turnover.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Fri May 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Spyman wrote:I'm sure it is in that ball-park, yes.

We must've used 5 goalkeepers at least - Liversedge, Knight, Hoult, Pickford (?), and also that disaster who played one game against Notts County - Ashley something or other?
Ashlee Jones, hands down the worst 'professional' footballer I've ever seen. Made Craig James and Paddy Deane look like Lahm and fucking Messi.

Other dross I can think of from the top of my head; something Dempsey, Rikki Bains, Matt Plummer and Simon Thomas. Stuff of nightmares.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 22, 2015 3:53 pm

Not forgetting f*cking Noel Whelan.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Fri May 22, 2015 4:47 pm

AndyPark wrote:Not forgetting f*cking Noel Whelan.
.... Andy man .... please let me forget him :think: ....

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 22, 2015 5:04 pm

divas wrote:A point I'd considered, but how many Conference teams go on to hold their own in the football league? Not saying we would have pulled up any trees but it's hard to think we'd struggle as badly as we did with decent management rather than trying to build a new team every 5 minutes.
Yes, teams that get promoted from the Conference. We finished outside the playoffs, so can't compare that team to one which was good enough to achieve promotion.

Also take into account that in recent years, it has taken money to win the Conference, which has often given these teams the ability to strengthen further once promoted.

I agree that a string of bad managers and no doubt restrictions put on them made life harder for us, but I'm not convinced the team you outlined would have done anything but struggle regardless.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 22, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm convinced that out of that 54, there was a decent team, it's just that our managers didn't know what was there best team.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Fri May 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Who can forget Dean Windass and that penalty against Bury!!!!, Staunton was the biggest mistake, under Todd we were competitive atleast, losing by the odd goal, Staunton however was just a complete embarresment

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 22, 2015 6:12 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:Who can forget Dean Windass and that penalty against Bury!!!!, Staunton was the biggest mistake, under Todd we were competitive atleast, losing by the odd goal, Staunton however was just a complete embarresment
Really? Didn't we have something like 4 points when Todd left?

Staunton actually won us some games. He also brought in Purcell who was the only highlight that season really. If Staunton had some man management abilities and didn't employ a revolving door policy with players he may have been able to do a bit more - I remember us going on a decent run just after Purcell joined but once we started losing again Staunton clearly couldn't rebuild confidence.

Simon Davey then looked to be putting in decent foundations once we were down and out officially, but turned out to be a complete flake (although in hindsight, maybe he just saw what was coming with Radged Strings).

DC