One hit wonders

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Lawman3
Team Supported: Darlington

One hit wonders

Post by Lawman3 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:27 pm

In an idle moment I attempted to list a team of (decent) players who had made only one appearance for Darlo.

So far I only have the following:
Ross Turnbull
Jimmy Case
Jose Quitongo

Apologies if this has been done before, but is it possible to get a full XI?

(Ian Harty made one appearance, and may have to make the starting line up by default)
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

lo36789

Re: One hit wonders

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:47 pm

That is quite an obscure idea, and also very difficult to remember! No idea how many this lot made?

Leandro Scartiscini
Paul Harsley
Noel Whelan
Keith Gillespie
Dominic Werling (I saw him in a friendly, did he actually make it to the league?)

I suspect the majority of 1 match wonders will be goalkeepers on emergency loans.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:53 pm

Ashlee Jones?
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Rochi di Karaa
Steve Mc Mahon (the first one who scored a hat trick against Halifax town)

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:45 pm

lo36789 wrote:That is quite an obscure idea, and also very difficult to remember! No idea how many this lot made?

Leandro Scartiscini
Paul Harsley
Noel Whelan
Keith Gillespie
Dominic Werling (I saw him in a friendly, did he actually make it to the league?)

I suspect the majority of 1 match wonders will be goalkeepers on emergency loans.
Didn't Noel Whelan play two games for us? Or at least 'some' part in two games? :lol:
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:30 pm

lo36789 wrote:That is quite an obscure idea, and also very difficult to remember! No idea how many this lot made?

Leandro Scartiscini
Paul Harsley
Noel Whelan
Keith Gillespie

Not sure Scartascini ever made a first team game did he? He was pretty rubbish even in the reserves.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:17 pm

On Soccerbase it claims he played 26 minutes in a 2-0 defeat against Barnsley in the league cup.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... r_id=38807.

You have to open up the game because it doesn't come up as a sub appearance on his appearances, can anyone confirm or deny this happened?

I looked up Noel Whelan. 34 minutes in his first game, 3 minutes in his second (after coming on as sub) and then 58 minutes in his final game. Darlington had 95 minutes of Noel Whelan.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:37 pm

lo36789 wrote: Leandro Scartiscini
Paul Harsley
Noel Whelan
Keith Gillespie
Scartiscini 1 sub
Harsley 3 starts
Whelan 2 starts, 1 sub
Gillespie 3 starts
Werling was only with us in pre-season
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

bga

Post by bga » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Asprilla................oh no sorry that was just a jog round the pitch or in front of the main stand wasn't it? Must have been some one hit wonders in the Steve Staunton/Colin Todd era but I cannot remember them.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Roch Karaa and Ashlee Jones are good shouts, Mark Hope, John McClelland, Jordan Nixon, Loukas Papaconstantinou, Jose Quitongo, Nialle Rodney, Ashlyn Stephenson, Magnus Andersson, Jean-Michel Cau (sub), Mathew Coddington (sub), Allan Evans (sub), Jimmy Case, Ryu Williamson and many, many more.

Lot of goalkeepers in there.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Surely Papaconstantinou played a few autowindscreen games? He is now a dentist if anyone was interested.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:27 pm

What about that match early on in the 93-94 season when we had an injury crisis at home to Scarborough. Some youth team player called Cooper played, but I can't remember his first name.
Mark Hope played in that 6-0 defeat at Fulham if I remember, and in a match report of that defeat Phil Brumwell got offended when in Mission Impossible they likened his performance to a 'Stressed out gerbil' and then put a picture of Ian Paisley ranting with the caption 'A stressed out gerbil'. Absolutely outstanding.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Paul Cooper

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:49 pm

John McClelland - didn't he break his leg at Hartlepool in his only game? Seem to remember happened in front of the away end.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Roger Davies, ex Derby legend.

PaulMJohnson

Post by PaulMJohnson » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:03 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:What about that match early on in the 93-94 season when we had an injury crisis at home to Scarborough. Some youth team player called Cooper played, but I can't remember his first name.
Mark Hope played in that 6-0 defeat at Fulham if I remember, and in a match report of that defeat Phil Brumwell got offended when in Mission Impossible they likened his performance to a 'Stressed out gerbil' and then put a picture of Ian Paisley ranting with the caption 'A stressed out gerbil'. Absolutely outstanding.
I used to be a member of Blackwell Grange Health Club, which is where the physio setup when the East Stand was being redeveloped. Brumwell was there often, and behaved like he thought he was a top Premier League player.

He was a twat.

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:32 am

Martin McGrother to add to the keepers

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:38 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Roger Davies, ex Derby legend.
Roger Davies played 10 games for us though he was that anonymous it's no surprise you can only remember 1 !!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:20 am

Xavier Barrau. Oh sorry, you said decent players.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:07 am

PaulMJohnson wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:What about that match early on in the 93-94 season when we had an injury crisis at home to Scarborough. Some youth team player called Cooper played, but I can't remember his first name.
I used to be a member of Blackwell Grange Health Club, which is where the physio setup when the East Stand was being redeveloped. Brumwell was there often, and behaved like he thought he was a top Premier League player.

He was a twat.
I'm sure we've all behaved like idiots in our youth. Thats not how I'd class PB, who in my experience is a great guy.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:32 am

Yackley_Quaker wrote:Martin McGrother to add to the keepers
He played twice, once v Mansfield in the FA Cup and also in the next round when we got dicked 5-0 by Wigan I think!

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:50 am

I was at the Fulham game down at Craven Cottage to see Mark Hope play his only 45 mins of football for Darlo 1st eleven-we went on to lose 6-0!! :(
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:17 pm

I remember going to watch us play in the Bob Lord Trophy at Kidderminster, one of only eight Darlo fans at the game. I know we played a youth side in the game and one of our players made his one and only appearance, before he went onto a bigger club. I can't remember his name but for some reason I think he went to Nottingham Forest, but I may be completely wrong, it does happen occasionally!!!!!

darlo2k

Post by darlo2k » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:31 pm

It was Chris Hope, brother of former CB Richard and son of former GK John Hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:17 pm

That's the guy, thanks.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 am

Must have been a few at Southport away mid week in the last Conference season,I didnt recognise many and I had seen them play a few weeks earlier.

Darlo were in s*** street and it looked it in that match.

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:14 pm

John mccellend the ex rangers player. Didn't he break his leg at poorlie away [1996 ?]on his debut for us? Seem to think it was a record age for a debutant and I think he retired after that didn't he ?

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:34 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:John mccellend the ex rangers player. Didn't he break his leg at poorlie away [1996 ?]on his debut for us? Seem to think it was a record age for a debutant and I think he retired after that didn't he ?
Yes you are right. Best "no game" legend was Coppinger. Darlo had wooed the kid to the club, then hid his talents to the fans (like Quintongo) and flogged him off to the Mags, as part of the £500,000 Paul Robinson deal. I saw Coppinger rip apart a Newcastle Youth team, playing against ours, in a hastily arranged friendly. Not even a Mags coach acting as ref could prevent the damage done by his deft dribbling, goals and assists.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:47 pm

e4sby wrote:John McClelland - didn't he break his leg at Hartlepool in his only game? Seem to remember happened in front of the away end.
Good call.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC