Whitby Town v Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mission Impossible
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Whitby Town v Darlington FC

Post by Mission Impossible » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:46 pm

I would take a punt on Kneeshaw. We're well covered in that position but I think he has ability.
Few naughty tackles put in today by both sides I thought! Alan White was his usual reserved self! On a plus side Armstrong looked lively when he came on for the last 15 mins, had a great shot from round 30 yards saved well by the keeper. Also Gary Brown did an admirable job when forced to play upfront.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:07 pm

I didn't go (glad I'm didn't after the team which was put out), but the best news has to be Armstrong returning. It's important that he isn't rushed into proper games, but it's amazing how quickly he has recovered. I'd expect to see over the remaining 2 friendlies pretty strong teams put out by us. We will probably be able to tell Gray's thought on the triailists if any are involved in those games.

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:13 pm

I've heard kneeshaw has knocked backed gateshead (well his advisor has) and is having a trial with Barnsley on Monday.

darlo rabbit

Post by darlo rabbit » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Some positives to come out of a disappointing afternoon
1 Most importantly that Armstrong got on the pitch and got back into action with a decent shot
2 Kneeshaw looked lively and given we had no midfield to supply him did well
3 We confirmed that if Jameson even feels a cold coming on we need to find a replacement quickly as god help us otherwise
4 We can send most of the trialists back from where they came( Staunch makes Gary Brown look like a very cultured footballer and looks like a walking red card as he did on Monday against York
5 We can confirm that Nowakowski isn't a forward( Brown looked far more likely to score when he replaced him)
6 For all those that requested it towards the end of last season we can also confirm that Watson isn't a left winger

And finally we have learnt not to play teams in out league in friendlies as neither team want to show their hand and we end up with games like today

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:06 pm

Clearly a non-event judged by the lineup. None of the triallists have really stood out for me apart from Brobbel.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:25 pm

divas

Post by divas » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Brobbel played for Torquay today if anyone is interested.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:05 am

divas wrote:Brobbel played for Torquay today if anyone is interested.
a club having a few problems.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:56 pm

KCChiefs wrote:I've heard kneeshaw has knocked backed gateshead (well his advisor has) and is having a trial with Barnsley on Monday.
I think I saw his name on a Barnsley XI team sheet within the last week or so

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Kneeshaw was never with us to sign for us, purely to train and get some game time in.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:46 pm

.... now you tell us ... good grief!! In the mean time, guys who need match practice or need to try to impress, miss out. What is going on??

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:54 pm

We booked in pre season games based on having a proper reserve team - that's not happening now (I think it's more youth than reserves). A few games were cancelled because of this but we have still had plenty. We don't really have that many forwards crying for game time aside from Dowson and Cartmen.

Also, we might have ended up with Kneeshaw if no other teams came in for him - Mitchell was only with us to train originally and look how that ended up, things change.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:35 am

DFCAnth wrote:Kneeshaw was never with us to sign for us, purely to train and get some game time in.
I think never is a bit of an overstatement. The reason he is with us, I imagine, is to give himself options if he doesn't get back into pro game. That is a bit different to "purely to train and get some game time in."
DFCAnth wrote:Mitchell was only with us to train originally and look how that ended up, things change.
Didn't Mitchell start playing for us immediately? Then continued to play and train with us over the summer as he went on trial elsewhere. I think it was always expected that if he didn't find something we would get him.

I suspect if no pro clubs are interested in Wilson then he will sign for us.

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:33 am

I heard the offer from Gateshead was around £700 p.w, not sure if he'll still be looking to get that figure or take something lower...

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:58 am

KCChiefs wrote:I heard the offer from Gateshead was around £700 p.w, not sure if he'll still be looking to get that figure or take something lower...
Is suspect that he will very much be looking to attain at least that figure if he is to be full time. It is a question of whether he think £36k is enough as a full time wage in a quite volatile profession.

Given his age I don't think there is much risk in having a stab at it for a couple of years. It would be a bit different if he was maybe 5/6 years older and had a secure job outside of football that he was risking for the money.

Just got to look at Turnbull's decision this season. You would guess that he'd have been on more than that £700pw given his stature at Gateshead but he felt that a secure job which could be his for the next 20 years was worth more than staying on.