Ilkeston v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ilkeston v Darlo Match Thread

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:37 pm

Half time : 1-0

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:39 pm

quakerste wrote:I can't understand Gray's thinking at present bringing in two wide midfielders who are struggling to get into the team. Then ignoring what is blatantly obvious to everyone that we need a right back and a striker.
Yep, not sure what he was thinking there, looks like an poor use of resources. We look a bit chaotic at the moment, starting with a centre half up front, changing to a centre half at right back, and putting a centre midfielder up front.
Last edited by Yarblockos on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Hopefully or rather presumably there's a lot more to whats going on selection-wise than meets the eye. Real football management isn't as simple as it is on championship manager. We don't see what happens in training. And we don't know if MG cannot sign better players than what we currently have etc etc

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:40 pm

1-0 down sounds like a good score at the moment just hope we get that bit of luck second half

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:41 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:Hopefully or rather presumably there's a lot more to whats going on selection-wise than meets the eye. Real football management isn't as simple as it is on championship manager. We don't see what happens in training. And we don't know if MG cannot sign better players than what we currently have etc etc

I'm sure these questions will be put to him at the post match interview. :silent:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:43 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:Hopefully or rather presumably there's a lot more to whats going on selection-wise than meets the eye. Real football management isn't as simple as it is on championship manager. We don't see what happens in training. And we don't know if MG cannot sign better players than what we currently have etc etc
Agreed, if he can't find a good full back or striker then fair enough. Its bringing in more wide players when we clearly don't need wide players that seems like a waste of money.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Brobbel played for Birmingham town last week apparently so he may be gone already

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:51 pm

quakerste wrote:I can't understand Gray's thinking at present bringing in two wide midfielders who are struggling to get into the team. Then ignoring what is blatantly obvious to everyone that we need a right back and a striker.
Does anyone REALLY think that Gray is "ignoring" that we need a right back and a striker?

It's never as simple as that.

First you have to find somebody who is better than we already have (otherwise it's pointless)

Then they have to be prepared to play for us, if perhaps they're used to playing higher.

Then they have to be available at a price we can afford.

We have to work within a budget.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:Brobbel played for Birmingham town last week apparently so he may be gone already
Never heard of Birmingham Town, what league do they play in?

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:55 pm

1-1

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:55 pm

@CStoddartEcho: Terry Galbraith scrambles home at the far post after an Adam Mitchell corner in the 47th minute.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 pm

red card to Darlo apparently too

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 pm

BUT we're now down to 10 men. :roll:

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Hunter sent off

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Red Card. Darlo down to 10men. Hunter Off.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Does anyone REALLY think that Gray is "ignoring" that we need a right back and a striker?

First you have to find somebody who is better than we already have (otherwise it's pointless)

Then they have to be prepared to play for us, if perhaps they're used to playing higher.

Oi - this is the Interweb. I don't come on hear to read logic and reason!
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:58 pm

Quakerz wrote:

I saw a news story earlier that was quite interesting. Andrew Cartwright has been called up to the England C squad. Now I can't work out if;

A) He is actually one of the best right backs available at our level and we didn't give him a chance
B) It shows why we are struggling to get one to Gray's standards if he is one of the best out there
C) England C are missing a right back for training matches and they are training somewhere near Sunderland

All in all...can we not just get Griffiths off Spenny and be done with it!?

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:59 pm

@CStoddartEcho: Darlington now 4-4-1. Cartman on his own up front, Mitchell right-back, Portas right-midfield.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:59 pm

I think you would have to be happy with a point now. Always going to be hard with 10

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Yep, not sure what he was thinking there, looks like an poor use of resources. We look a bit chaotic at the moment, starting with a centre half up front, changing to a centre half at right back, and putting a centre midfielder up front.
If memory serves me correctly, Chris Hunter played mainly right back for Shildon and he was brought in as a right back actually, to replace Harrison.

Feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong.

Aaaaand...he's off.

Fucksticks.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:01 pm

As an aside, Hyde are winning 5-0 atm

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Quakerz wrote:

Precisely. I'm sure if someone who could do the job was readily available, Gray wouldn't be resorting to White or Portas up front.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:04 pm

Another hatrick for Spencer tonight.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:08 pm

White booked.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:09 pm

shawry wrote:As an aside, Hyde are winning 5-0 atm
Ramsbottom III?

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:10 pm

@CStoddartEcho: Groans from a handful of Darlington fans as Anthony Bell replaces Stephen Thompson on 62 minutes. 1-1

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:11 pm

After all this square pegs in round holes if score stay`s the same we are top of the league

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:11 pm

I don't think we gave Cartwright a fair crack last season, played okay at Harrogate. Liked to get forward and did what was needed at the back then played at Kendal where Brown got hauled off then never played for us again.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:15 pm

@CStoddartEcho: Darlington down to nine men as White has had to leave the pitch with a head injury. Currently in dugout receiving treatment. 1-1

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:16 pm

@CStoddartEcho: 70. White has been strapped up, large bandage around his head, and is now back on the pitch. 1-1