B&B

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

B&B

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:35 am

Bell and Brobbell released.

Hopefully frees up some budget for some more cover up front.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Robbie Painter

Re: B&B

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:55 am

Spyman wrote:Bell and Brobbell released.

Personally I think budget needed to be reduced following FA Cup exit & failed BM move. Hopefully we won't be bringing in another striker, not needed. With Nowakowski on his way back we have 4 options (excluding White) up front.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:30 am

Have to say that I saw more from Youhill on Saturday than I have seen from the two that have left the club...Good call by MG in my opinion

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:35 am

Agreed. Hunter looked the part at RB last Monday, so that allows White back in to CB, which in turn will take some pressure of Burgess. We've got more than enough midfielders and hopefully Youhill is finally getting a fair crack at the whip. Hopefully the team is settling down a bit. Any news on when Nowakowski is set to return? I don't think I've actually seen him kick a ball so far. Poor sod. Also, what rumours of Amar?

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:38 am

dickdarlington wrote:Agreed. Hunter looked the part at RB last Monday, so that allows White back in to CB, which in turn will take some pressure of Burgess. We've got more than enough midfielders and hopefully Youhill is finally getting a fair crack at the whip. Hopefully the team is settling down a bit. Any news on when Nowakowski is set to return? I don't think I've actually seen him kick a ball so far. Poor sod. Also, what rumours of Amar?
Think I read Nowakowski would be 8 weeks, so another couple of weeks? He was training on pitch before Saturday's match.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... r_fitness/

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:42 am

Robbie Painter wrote:

Personally I think budget needed to be reduced following FA Cup exit & failed BM move. Hopefully we won't be bringing in another striker, not needed. With Nowakowski on his way back we have 4 options (excluding White) up front.
Hard to disagree with that Robbie. With Nowakowski and Armstrong not 100% there's possibly a case for a short term loanee, but that would be it.

We were over-stocked with wide midfielders (Thompson, Mitchell, Youhill, plus Galbraith and Watson can cover on the left) so it's no surprise Bell and Brobbel have gone.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:55 am

Robbie Painter wrote:

Fair enough, didn't realise Dowson and Nowakowski were back in the frame.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:17 am

Yup, agree with Robbie on this one, don't think we will/can bring anyone in.

With Gibbons also now fit again it gives us the option of him providing cover at both RB and CM. Whilst I wasn't keen on seeing him thrown into RB as a permanent fixture I don't mind him playing the odd game in case one of White/Hunter/Burgess is unavailable. I expect he'll slot into RB again during Hunter's upcoming suspension but with White marshalling the back 4 I have more faith in us as a solid unit. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Gibbons cover in CM as that's his best position from what was observed in pre-season.

I'm hoping we're now almost through the worst of injuries making our squad lop-sided - the Nowakowski injury was a real blow due to his height and versatility and he'll be a huge asset back in the squad. He was brought in as the new Hatch which is exactly the type of player we've missed the last 6 weeks.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:46 am

Slightly surprised at Bell - I got the impression that Gray rated him, what with the number of games he started. I personally thought there was something there, although he did have a tendency to drift into anonymity as the game wore on, but he could put in good crosses and he is a genuine left winger, which is something we don't have in the squad. However he didn't set the world on fire, so no huge issue with what's happened.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:25 am

As most have said no big surprise really, think we all knew we were top heavy on wingers. Bell didn't make an impact to be honest, one or two bits but that was it and Brobbel probably never got a chance but I think he still wants to have a shot as a pro.

I think the FA Cup knock out will certainly impact on our squad and this is probbaly that effect also once you get to the end of October it's pretty much only one game a week rather than the current two.

We still have an 18/19 man squad and keeping clear of injuries will be key to us staying up at the top.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:33 am

al_quaker wrote: but he could put in good crosses.
I must have blinked and missed the good crosses then. Personally I thought that was his main weakness, his build up play was fine. However a winger needs to consistently deliver telling crosses into the box, I've seen better from Youhill already in one game.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:42 am

loan_star wrote:
al_quaker wrote: but he could put in good crosses.
I must have blinked and missed the good crosses then. Personally I thought that was his main weakness, his build up play was fine. However a winger needs to consistently deliver telling crosses into the box, I've seen better from Youhill already in one game.
I saw him put in some dangerous balls, but no one got on the end of them, which isn't necessarily the fault of the crosser. I'm not saying he did this consistently, but I saw enough from him to be surprised he's been released. MG hasn't got huge amounts wrong with signings during his tenure though, so I'm happy to back his judgement!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:37 pm

I'm a bit surprised that both were released at the same time. Both seemed to be pretty good players at this level. Neither was given a fair chance in my opinion.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Heard Nowakowski say in the bar before last home game that he expected it to be another 4 to 5 weeks before he was back.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:02 pm

It makes sense to trim afew off the wage bill, out wide is a position we were well stocked up in, Thommo is a guarenteed starter when fit especially the way he's started this season, we've then 1 position out wide to fill and had a pool of Mitchell, Youhill, Bell, Brobbel aswell as Watson and Galbraith to fill it

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Dowson has also said he reckons a few weeks before hes back with his injury

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Think both had potential. Definitely have technical ability, but as others have highlighted above its such a big difference between development league football with pro clubs and the real nitty gritty physical stuff you'll get in league games.

But based on us being out of the FA cup so early and so not having to play extra games, makes sense to trim the wage budget accordingly as it's a position we're well stocked in. Would like to see a young target man style striker from one of the local pro clubs come in on a one or two month loan deal while Armstrong, Dowson and Nowakowski get back to fitness.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Would not surprise me in the least if MG has his eye on a potential new signing, more than likely a striker taking into account our injury situation.I think he is spot on releasing these 2 lads, shame about Bell but got the impression he was not physical enough which is not MG's style. Where is Kneeshaw at the moment, that would be some signing, you never know.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:24 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Would not surprise me in the least if MG has his eye on a potential new signing, more than likely a striker taking into account our injury situation.I think he is spot on releasing these 2 lads, shame about Bell but got the impression he was not physical enough which is not MG's style. Where is Kneeshaw at the moment, that would be some signing, you never know.
Kneeshaw is part of Barnsley's development squad for the season and regularly appears for the U21's.

Games take place on a Monday which probably means there's not sufficient recovery time for him to turn out for us on a Saturday and then return to Barnsley, otherwise it might have been an option to explore.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:29 pm

Youhill has looked match fit, maybe that is all those players were there for was filling in whilst he was out of it. We now effectively have our first XI available.

GK - Jameson
DR - Hunter (CB)
DC - White (ST)
DC - Burgess
DL - Watson (LM)
MR - Mitchell (RB/CM/LM)
MC - Portas
MC - Turnbull
ML - Thompson (RM/ST)
ST - Cartman
ST - Armstrong

We also have the following available to provide flexibility, I am not convinced a new striker will come to sit on the bench...

Scott - LB/MC
Gibbons - RB/MC
Youhill - RM/LM

If worst comes to worse we can play that Corbyn Mitchell upfront. He might only be 12 years old but 11 goals in 3 games...they always say that the goal is the same size - except in this circumstance it isn't he is scoring in a much smaller goal...

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:21 pm

galbraith out again lo, or just an over sight?

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:12 pm

JE93 wrote:Think both had potential. Definitely have technical ability, but as others have highlighted above its such a big difference between development league football with pro clubs and the real nitty gritty physical stuff you'll get in league games.

But based on us being out of the FA cup so early and so not having to play extra games, makes sense to trim the wage budget accordingly as it's a position we're well stocked in. Would like to see a young target man style striker from one of the local pro clubs come in on a one or two month loan deal while Armstrong, Dowson and Nowakowski get back to fitness.
Would a young target man from one of the pro clubs not find the exact same problems as Bell and Brobbel. I thought Bell was worth persevering with. Can't have been on much - loan him out to Norton.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:26 pm

lo36789 wrote:Youhill has looked match fit, maybe that is all those players were there for was filling in whilst he was out of it. We now effectively have our first XI available.

GK - Jameson
DR - Hunter (CB)
DC - White (ST)
DC - Burgess
DL - Watson (LM)
MR - Mitchell (RB/CM/LM)
MC - Portas
MC - Turnbull
ML - Thompson (RM/ST)
ST - Cartman
ST - Armstrong

We also have the following available to provide flexibility, I am not convinced a new striker will come to sit on the bench...

Scott - LB/MC
Gibbons - RB/MC
Youhill - RM/LM

If worst comes to worse we can play that Corbyn Mitchell upfront. He might only be 12 years old but 11 goals in 3 games...they always say that the goal is the same size - except in this circumstance it isn't he is scoring in a much smaller goal...
Either Youhill or Galbraith should be in the 1st choice XI, especially when there are crosses and free kicks to be delivered accurately. Plan A may be for Watson & Mitchell to rotate with them, but this would be modified in game time to deal with potential and real injuries & suspensions. (e.g. Thommo being hacked repeatedly)

Some temporary attacking support is needed, at least while Dowson is out. I have some doubts about Nowakowski up front as he seemed to be too slow and off balance before his injury at Harrogate Railway.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:28 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
JE93 wrote:Think both had potential. Definitely have technical ability, but as others have highlighted above its such a big difference between development league football with pro clubs and the real nitty gritty physical stuff you'll get in league games.

Would a young target man from one of the pro clubs not find the exact same problems as Bell and Brobbel. I thought Bell was worth persevering with. Can't have been on much - loan him out to Norton.
I thought similar on Bell. I see you point. But from memory a young Michael Smith was already pretty filled out by the time he broke into the first team end of the L2 season. May be a low risk way to find ourselves a cheap striking alternative while we wait on the fitness of Nowakowski and Armstrong

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Youhill has looked match fit, maybe that is all those players were there for was filling in whilst he was out of it. We now effectively have our first XI available.

GK - Jameson
DR - Hunter (CB)
DC - White (ST)
DC - Burgess
DL - Watson (LM)
MR - Mitchell (RB/CM/LM)
MC - Portas
MC - Turnbull
ML - Thompson (RM/ST)
ST - Cartman
ST - Armstrong

Scott - LB/MC
Gibbons - RB/MC
Youhill - RM/LM

Either Youhill or Galbraith should be in the 1st choice XI, especially when there are crosses and free kicks to be delivered accurately. Plan A may be for Watson & Mitchell to rotate with them, but this would be modified in game time to deal with potential and real injuries & suspensions. (e.g. Thommo being hacked repeatedly)

Some temporary attacking support is needed, at least while Dowson is out. I have some doubts about Nowakowski up front as he seemed to be too slow and off balance before his injury at Harrogate Railway.

He got his injury at Buxton....After only 6 minutes of the first (competetive) league game of the season..
Was that enough time for you to assess a midfielder playing up front.

Up until he went off he was involved a fair bit in those 6 minutes

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:46 pm

Just rambling as per usual.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:49 pm

With Galbraith, Mitchell, Thompson & Youhill available on the flanks the 2 kids wouldn't have had much chance of a game. There are also attacking full backs playing on the flanks, so they would have had to be something exceptional in pace / crossing / goal scoring to make the cut.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:50 pm

My opinion wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:

GK - Jameson
DR - Hunter (CB)
DC - White (ST)
DC - Burgess
DL - Watson (LM)
MR - Mitchell (RB/CM/LM)
MC - Portas
MC - Turnbull
ML - Thompson (RM/ST)
ST - Cartman
ST - Armstrong

Scott - LB/MC
Gibbons - RB/MC
Youhill - RM/LM

He got his injury at Buxton....After only 6 minutes of the first (competetive) league game of the season..
Was that enough time for you to assess a midfielder playing up front.

Up until he went off he was involved a fair bit in those 6 minutes
He also went off injured at Harrogate Railway.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:54 pm

moodymonica wrote:galbraith out again lo, or just an over sight?
Yeh just an oversight. Obviously he becomes that second left mid/left winger. I see there are times when he is favoured over Watson as well.

Just adds to the argument that we don't really need more bodies up front at the moment. There is plenty of cover at left midfield for Thompson to move up top if ever needed.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Thought brobbel looked the better play, bell was a bit of a head down and run. Either way we wont miss them too much and it might free up some money to try a few more gambles, eventually one will pay off.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk