Ian Watson

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersam
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ian Watson

Post by quakersam » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm not sure, I think Galbraith edges it for me, without him on the pitch we've nobody who can take a decent set piece, look how many assists Galbraith gets per season, he's worth 10-12 goals a season and usually notches himself through penalties and the odd free kick, his corner equalled our equaliser on Tuesday night.
Watson is a great player don't get me wrong and he won't be short of offers but two left backs are a luxury at this level, ultimately you aren't going to be able to keep them both happy.
MG likes to play tall lads at full back so you can see why he puts Galbraith in.
I think to call Terry injury prone is bang out of order. He's not exactly been out for a long time, hamstrings can go at any point, look at Dowson.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

bga

Post by bga » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:09 pm

quakersam wrote: I think to call Terry injury prone is bang out of order. He's not exactly been out for a long time, hamstrings can go at any point, look at Dowson.
Quakersam you are forgetting his shin problems as well. But on reflection perhaps "injury prone" was a bit harsh, I just feel Watson is fitter.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:20 pm

To be fair he played for quite a while with the injury

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:22 pm

I would still like to see Watson playing LB behind Galbraith from kick-offs, as Terry is often our best attacking option from the flanks and absent from LB when needed. With all the midfielders on the books there would be plenty of flexibility to shuffle midfielders around within games.

If a joint Watson & Galbraith selection just isn't working then fair enough change it.

Fans should accept Terry making fewer killer passes and shots from open play, if he manages to be successful in a utility LB role.

When a BM agreement is signed, Darlo may then have both financial confidence & incentive to invest in a bigger squad, so that more players can be played more efficiently in their best positions.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:I would still like to see Watson playing LB behind Galbraith from kick-offs, as Terry is often our best attacking option from the flanks and absent from LB when needed. With all the midfielders on the books there would be plenty of flexibility to shuffle midfielders around within games.

If a joint Watson & Galbraith selection just isn't working then fair enough change it.

Fans should accept Terry making fewer killer passes and shots from open play, if he manages to be successful in a utility LB role.

When a BM agreement is signed, Darlo may then have both financial confidence & incentive to invest in a bigger squad, so that more players can be played more efficiently in their best positions.

In terms of Galbraith or Watson playing LM who whould you drop Thompson, Youhill or Mitchell.

Sometimes it's hard but we just have to accept that Gray favours Galbraith generally, the supporters seem about 50/50, so can't be much in it between the two.

The player clearly wants to play a larger percentage of games, say 80% of mathes who does Gray drop to accomodate him Galbraith, Thompson, Youhill or Mitchell. If any of the 4 then request to leave as they want to play more games what do you do then?

Tough decision but that's football, I would like Watson to stay but I see the logic in the end.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Watson and Galbraith make an excellent pairing playing simultaneously on the left; its a shame we haven't utilised that more.

We've often shoehorned someone into the LW role which has limited their effect.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:47 pm

Beano wrote:Watson and Galbraith make an excellent pairing playing simultaneously on the left; its a shame we haven't utilised that more.

We've often shoehorned someone into the LW role which has limited their effect.
Thompson has played there mainly over the last year or so with Mitchell on the right and swapping over. Now we also have Youhill who has had good reports last few games, which two do you keep on bench so we can play Galbraith & Watson?

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:59 pm

They'd all get plenty of games.

If I had to let anyone go, it would be Scott as Galbraith and Watson would cover his role.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Beano wrote:They'd all get plenty of games.

If I had to let anyone go, it would be Scott as Galbraith and Watson would cover his role.
They may all get plenty of games but Watson wants to play most weeks so you have to pick players to drop, at least Gray does in the real world.

Releasing Scott does not give Watson anymore game time so a pointless exercise, you have to drop either Galbraith to the bench or two of Thompson, Mitchell or Youhill to fit Watson in. What would you do to play him often enough to keep Watson happy?

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Its a tough situation, you can only play 11 plus 3 subs each game and I imagine it's frustrating making a 2/3hr trip for an away game and getting no game time.

I get the feeling Watson would have been happy at least playing a part. Maybe Gray will have to think about how he can rotate in future, especially when all of our strikers are fit. It's not an easy task

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Watson just said on Twitter he used to play RB for Blyth..........

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Then it's a real mystery as to why he was never used in that position for us, given our problems in that spot. Sounds like it could have been a perfect fit.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:53 pm

He still could be.

TCB 42

Post by TCB 42 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:21 pm

what happens if Galbraith suffers a long term injury. I can't understand getting rid of a player that gives 100% every time. Surely if there has been a set to between Gray and Watson can't they act like grown ups and settle it?.

TCB 42

Post by TCB 42 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:25 pm

And another thing Scott is played out as far as I can see, when he gets the ball you can sense the the fear from the crowd as to what he will do.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:28 pm

TCB 42 wrote:what happens if Galbraith suffers a long term injury. I can't understand getting rid of a player that gives 100% every time. Surely if there has been a set to between Gray and Watson can't they act like grown ups and settle it?.
It's nothing to do with wanting to get rid of him. Watson has put in the transfer request to move

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:29 pm

Watson (understandably) wants regular football. Gray prefers Galbraith at LB, therefore can't guarantee Watson regular football. There's been no set-to, just a player wanting first team football.

Watson is clearly a very good footballer, but some (primarily on twitter) do not seem to realise quite how good Galbraith is too.

DiscoDancer
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by DiscoDancer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:06 am

If any player is repeatedly dropped after playing well then it's normal to question the long term prospects of remaining at a club. Sure TG started both play-off games so maybe the writing is on the wall and the kid wants to play football every week in what will be his peak years. If Galbraith is going to be utilised as a left-back for the season then I reckon Hunter needs to be back at centre-half. Think putting Hunter at RB was the 'easy' decision for MG to make but may not be the best decision for the team if Watson isn't in the side as he can cover that flank better than TG and he hardly ever gets beaten by a winger or done for pace. Just an observation from the games prior to TG's injury where i witnessed Hunter do some admirable covering work snuffing out danger in the LB position.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:27 am

I thought Galbraith got the nod in the playoffs because Watson was only just back from injury.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:28 am

All the best to Ian, clearly a very good left-back and a reason why we went on that long winning run at the beginning of last season.

BUT, Galbraith is criminally underrated by Darlo fans. Probably similar to Purewal in that respect. People keep banging on about Terry only being in the side for his set-pieces, failing to realise the added defensive solidity he brings us.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:32 am

LoidLucan wrote:Then it's a real mystery as to why he was never used in that position for us, given our problems in that spot. Sounds like it could have been a perfect fit.
I think that had Ian been suitable to the RB spot then Gray would have/still could play him there. Gray will have known that he played there for Blyth.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Then it's a real mystery as to why he was never used in that position for us, given our problems in that spot. Sounds like it could have been a perfect fit.
I think that had Ian been suitable to the RB spot then Gray would have/still could play him there. Gray will have known that he played there for Blyth.
Stop talking sense Darlofan97.

Don't you know us fans know everything and a manager who has got us promoted twice in three seasons has no idea about his own players.

Are people seriously trying to suggest, if Watson could play RB, this fact has bypassed Martin Gray, Brian Atkinson, Harry Dunn and the rest of the coaching staff?

In which games did Watson play RB for Blyth and how effective was he? I bet people don't know.There's a reason Gray et al didn't play him there.

Sadly Galbraith is now going to be afflicted in the same way our strikers were after Andy Johnson left.

Despite his undoubted quality, every Galbraith mistake will be met with "Watson wouldn't have done that."

Even if we lose and Galbraith has done well, we'll still get "Watson would have offered us something different."

And what's this obsession with ranking players above each other? Why were people in the Watson OR the Galbraith camp? What about respecting that both are good players who offer something slightly different?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:36 am

I'm pretty sure most sensible people know that they're both good players. The reason for the outpouring over Watson is that we're seeing a very good player for this level leaving the club. We've seen how increasingly difficult it is to bring in local lads who have the ambition to travel half the country on a wet Tuesday night.

If it had been Galbraith leaving I'm sure there'd have been similar feelings, it's not about who's better, it's about our squad getting weaker.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:20 am

Surely when a player joins a club like ours, they have got to expect that their will be competition for places. Watson has played plenty of games since arriving, and would no doubt have got plenty of games before the season ends. We're what, 10 games into the season, and he has played as many games as Galbraith. You sign, knowing you're part of a strong squad. If you're expecting a game every week, sign for a less successful club. If he was miles better than Galbraith, I could understand it, but there is nothing between them. I happened to think that Watson didn't play that well in his last few games before Galbraith got back in - his delivery particularly was poor. That's more the reason Galbraith got back in for me - had Watson been on top of his game, I think he would still have been in the team. Very good player, and will get another team easily, but a bit disappointed in him to be honest.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:21 am

Divas has it right. It's a blow to lose a talented and adaptable player especially as it would leave us one injury away from a major problem at left back.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:37 am

budgets have to be balanced,injuries mean we needed a striker.............but I still think letting Watson go is wrong . Obvious from whats been written on here Im in a minority but I prefer him to Galbraith.

quote="LoidLucan"]Divas has it right. It's a blow to lose a talented and adaptable player espec[ially as it would leave us one injury away from a major problem at left back.[/quote]
:clap:

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 am

You're not in minority. Everyone would like him to stay - the club is not getting rid of him, he's asked to leave.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:49 am

LoidLucan wrote:Divas has it right. It's a blow to lose a talented and adaptable player especially as it would leave us one injury away from a major problem at left back.
Or maybe not as Scott can do more than a good enough job there.

tezza

Post by tezza » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:52 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:You're not in minority. Everyone would like him to stay - the club is not getting rid of him, he's asked to leave.
EXACTLY: Cannot understand why some people have turned this into a pissing completion.

PS Interesting comment from NJ amongst all this

"When a BM agreement is signed"

mmmmm

bga

Post by bga » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:53 am

divas wrote:I'm pretty sure most sensible people know that they're both good players. The reason for the outpouring over Watson is that we're seeing a very good player for this level leaving the club. We've seen how increasingly difficult it is to bring in local lads who have the ambition to travel half the country on a wet Tuesday night.

If it had been Galbraith leaving I'm sure there'd have been similar feelings, it's not about who's better, it's about our squad getting weaker.
Absolutely spot on divas. Incidentally I have lost track of how many we have in our squad now? Three out in the last week, one in, so I guess we have two less than say a couple of weeks ago. We can use say 14 each match, surely there cannot be many who are not injured, who are not "involved" each week, not withstanding all the earlier comments about players wanting to play and not be on the bench. Things can change quickly in football maybe Watson should realise this?