Beckham at Darlo/Bish re class of 92/Salford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Gazzadfc
Team Supported: Darlington

Beckham at Darlo/Bish re class of 92/Salford

Post by Gazzadfc » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Nicked from the Manchester evening news

David Beckham

Their pal Becks was invited to be involved in the takeover but the timing wasn’t right and he was just too busy. Nicky Butt told us: “Becks is part of us. We’ve known him since he was 11.

“I think he really, really wanted to get involved but he’s one of the busiest men alive.”

He said David was keen to watch Salford City FC play at Darlington but couldn’t because of security issues.

“He asks how it’s going and takes an interest,” said Nicky.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Beckham at Darlo/Bish re class of 92/Salford

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:05 pm

Watching it now

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:01 pm

So no mention of us yet. Power has just been sacked.

Turns out Seddon is on £400 p/w.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:06 pm

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll come out of this very well.......

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:09 pm

Wonder how that £10K claim is going

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Gow9900 wrote:I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll come out of this very well.......
Me neither - I was watching it on tenterhooks for when we our game there would be mentioned. Hopefully it gives a fair account of what went on - Gary Neville after did give a fair response in some quotes I've read, so hopefully it will be OK..

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:11 pm

Seemed strange that five millionaires felt they needed a billionaire to get a non league side into the football league.

I did like the "Class of Vincent Tan" comment...

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:19 pm

watching how bad Salford were at that point in the season they did pretty well to come back and win the league - although we did throw it away.
Must be strange for Martin Gray and the other coaches, playing at the highest level and now dropping down so many levels and working with part time players.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:41 pm

No mention of us so far......... I suppose as the 'story' has only just got past new year, we'll feature next week. I'm dreading how we'll be portrayed at their place.

In my opinion, I thought Seddon came across as a bit arrogant, along with a couple of others.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:17 am

I thought it was a very good watch. A little patronising at times ("Players have to drive themselves to the ground" - said in the style of an over-enthusiastic primary school teaching assistant), but an interesting insight.

Like others though, I'm apprehensive about how we'll be portrayed next week. And undoubtedly we'll be referred to us Darlington 1883.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:11 am

DarloPeGi wrote:In my opinion, I thought Seddon came across as a bit arrogant,
I bet Seddon has some humongous sized mirrors in his house -but his mum!! She had large sized pictures of her beloved all over the kitchen, even stuck to the inside of cupboard doors.

I thought the player suffering from depression was brave, to open up his problems on prime time TV.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:34 am

Salford might not come out of it smelling of roses next week either. The clips of their new managers from Ramsbottom showed them to be rather thuggish and aggressive.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:07 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:Seemed strange that five millionaires felt they needed a billionaire to get a non league side into the football league.
Probably needed him to pay for a new 25000 stadium that Neville spoke of.
Escalators and marble floors no doubt. Deja vu ?
Which one of the five will be first to jump ship ? My bet is Giggs, who looks as bemused in this programme as when he is sat next to Van Gaal

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:14 pm

banktopp wrote:Which one of the five will be first to jump ship ? My bet is Giggs, who looks as bemused in this programme as when he is sat next to Van Gaal
I am not sure how on board the ship they are to jump off it other than the finances of it all but I suspect it is probably just bank interest to these guys. Ryan Giggs of all of them must have amassed the biggest bank balance - he may have had the largest expenses as well when making up with his wife and paying for court orders to keep his name secret - how come those things aren't in the press anymore, was it when people realised that it was Andrew Marr's private life that was being protected it wasn't that interesting...

Phil Neville is in Spain
Ryan Giggs is being groomed as Van Gaal's successor
Gary Neville is basically a full time pundit
Nicky Butt is a coach for United
Paul Scholes is a pundit for BT Sports

The latter is the one with the most time on his hands to dedicate to Salford, suspect he is probably more interested in how his son is getting on at Oldham though.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:22 pm

They have a chairman (or chairwoman) who runs the club on a day-to-day basis don't they?
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:40 pm

I have to admit that I enjoyed the programme and I think we'll feature quite a lot in the final two episodes. I particularly likes the bit where the coach turned up late with the balls for the first training session. I agree with others we'll not come out of this too well.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:06 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:They have a chairman (or chairwoman) who runs the club on a day-to-day basis don't they?
Yep, the "delightful" Karen Baird. There's also a committee in charge of the day-to-day running of the club.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:29 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I have to admit that I enjoyed the programme and I think we'll feature quite a lot in the final two episodes. I particularly likes the bit where the coach turned up late with the balls for the first training session. I agree with others we'll not come out of this too well.
Pete you can plan a night out on Thursday 12 Nov. as there is only one more episode according to BBC! :wtf:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:12 pm

I've got a deep sense of foreboding that proud owld Jim's refurbished bogs will come under the TV spotlight after our visit to Moor Lane in Episode 2.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Rivetting stuff - look out Corrie!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I have to admit that I enjoyed the programme and I think we'll feature quite a lot in the final two episodes. I particularly likes the bit where the coach turned up late with the balls for the first training session. I agree with others we'll not come out of this too well.
There is only one more episode - parts of it had to be cut due to an "unrelated related legal dispute", so it has been condensed into two from three.
I thought the legal issue may have been due to the sacking of Phil Power, but after last nights episode I dont think he could have came out looking much worse, nice guy but completely out of his depth in terms of where the club was looking to go.
Looking forward to watching the Salford management duo next week, they look as though they dont take any prisoners!
Looking back we could have really spoilt the party by winning the league - but I suppose the episode has highlighted non league football well so I'm sure the class of 92 will come out well next week when they win the League.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Whilst I wish we had won the league, that night v Spennymoor and the final v Bamber will be with me forever, great memories and an unbelievable way to end a great season. The scenes when Hatch equalised and then Dowson banged in the winner in the semi final still make me smile when I think of them, great moments like that make the bad times (and we seem to have a lot of them) worth it.

Has to be said as well, the fact little old fan owned Darlo took a club owned by 5 multi millionaires, a billionaire (Peter Lim) and with the backing it seems of the BBC media machine, to the last week of the season was an achievement in itself.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:00 pm

Totally agree, winning the play-offs is always the best way to do it, the only problem is that it's also the worst way when you lose.

So glad we finally laid that ghost to rest. To this day I still don't know how we won that Spennymoor game. Superhuman effort to even get back to 2-2 never mind win it. Armstrong sprinting up left showing pace I've never seen him display followed by Dowson's sublime finish. What a night. The final was a bit of an anti climax compared to that but we got the job done superbly.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:25 pm

divas wrote:So glad we finally laid that ghost to rest. To this day I still don't know how we won that Spennymoor game.
Superhuman effort by our captain Gary Brown- his best ever game for Darlo IMO.

Gow9900 wrote:Whilst I wish we had won the league, that night v Spennymoor and the final v Bamber will be with me forever, great memories and an unbelievable way to end a great season. The scenes when Hatch equalised and then Dowson banged in the winner in the semi final still make me smile when I think of them, great moments like that make the bad times (and we seem to have a lot of them) worth it.

Has to be said as well, the fact little old fan owned Darlo took a club owned by 5 multi millionaires, a billionaire (Peter Lim) and with the backing it seems of the BBC media machine, to the last week of the season was an achievement in itself.
Great post, couldn't agree more :thumbup:
LoidLucan wrote:I've got a deep sense of foreboding that proud owld Jim's refurbished bogs will come under the TV spotlight after our visit to Moor Lane in Episode 2.
This is a nailed on certainty. I hope the BBC editors show both sides of the story.

Did I pick up that "owld Jim" did all his work on a voluntary basis? If so, is this because Salford can't afford a bit of building work?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:47 pm

divas wrote:Totally agree, winning the play-offs is always the best way to do it, the only problem is that it's also the worst way when you lose.
Nope, going up as league champions is better. Give me days like the home wins over Guisborough and Team Northumbria over nights like the Spennymoor play-off any day.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:10 pm

I reckon the Nevilles will have sent a video drone into the Salford bogs to gather the evidence because from what I remember they were certainly no place for the Andrex puppy. Beaten only in their fetid foulness by a block at Ramsbottom that smelt like a hundred of their namesakes had been partaking of the conveniences.

Speaking of such matters, why on earth did the Beeb programme conduct an interview with Gareth Seddon why he was sat on the porcelain with bog paper in hand? Must be a TV first but a bit of a bummer for those of a delicate disposition. And yes, he did talk a load of..... :crazy:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:24 pm

It was good to see that the BBC covered the player who was suffering from depression, it shows even footie players can struggle with the day to day problems.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:42 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:It was good to see that the BBC covered the player who was suffering from depression, it shows even footie players can struggle with the day to day problems.
He's called Jason Jarrett - it seems he's been suffering quite badly. As he said on the programme, he's gone from £9000 a week (money coming out of his ears) to £300 a week (money NOT coming out of his ears) Good on him for letting this go on air.

He's now training to be a ref I gather.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:22 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:It was good to see that the BBC covered the player who was suffering from depression, it shows even footie players can struggle with the day to day problems.
He's called Jason Jarrett - it seems he's been suffering quite badly. As he said on the programme, he's gone from £9000 a week (money coming out of his ears) to £300 a week (money NOT coming out of his ears) Good on him for letting this go on air.

He's now training to be a ref I gather.
Thanks for that, I really hope he makes a success of it, he deserves to get so being something out of footie, after being so honest to the cameras.

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Good documentary!
Interesting parallels with us.
1) Well meaning owners who dont get the point of a small club.
2) A few fans starting to have their doubts.
3) Using the colours of the team you really support.
4) Plucking a magic 25000 capacity figure from the air.
If Phil Neville wants to make it work...
1) Change the 'Ammies' strip back to amber.
2) Start the stadium small (4000 max) with potential to expand and see how it goes.
3) Dont turn it into another foreign owned franchise.

At least we had 5000 fans when we moved to a 25000 stadium, not 500!
The Arena would have worked so much better half the size and with black and white seats.

And yes, our drunken once a season followers will probably make an appearance, I hope that isnt how our fan run club is represented.