is what we do this season going to turn out irrelevant?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bertbanger
Team Supported: Darlington

is what we do this season going to turn out irrelevant?

Post by bertbanger » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:39 am

given the state of the new ground situation and things being uncertain where we will be next season, if we finish top or win the play-offs it looks like we wont have a ground suitable for Conf North!
is what we do this season going to turn out totally irrelevant?
thoughts.......

divas

Re: is what we do this season going to turn out irrelevant?

Post by divas » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:43 am

It's been discussed on more than one thread already

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:44 am

ive missed it then

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:30 am

Search for ground, BM, HP, promotion, relegation should find a few of them.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:59 am

Don't know which is the worst..Discussing the possibilities of the end of this season or discussing the possibilities of the game being off....

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:02 am

.... ha ha ha ... Just about sums up some of our supporters. They could create a malaise out of a lottery win .... they really could.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:24 am

bertbanger wrote:given the state of the new ground situation and things being uncertain where we will be next season, if we finish top or win the play-offs it looks like we wont have a ground suitable for Conf North!
thoughts.......
You know we can be promoted right
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:01 pm

If all else fails it may mean the Arena or Poolie.

If we wait for the council to take the initiative we may be doomed.

Lots of positive talk before the general election, with unusual negativity to follow.

There may have been doubts about the Dubai deal in terms of "out of town" retail development, to finance the ambitious scheme, but the council is supposed to review and discuss, rather than take a hasty negative stance.

There are still a few large sites nearer to the town centre, even though many retail possibilities have been wasted on large sites in favour of extra offices, colleges, clinics, housing.

A development away from BM would most likely mean the end of the Darlington Rugby Club and I suppose this may have a big bearing on certain councillors who are looking after the interests of their pals.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:06 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:If all else fails it may mean the Arena or Poolie.
Have you been drinking?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:19 pm

quakersam wrote:
bertbanger wrote:given the state of the new ground situation and things being uncertain where we will be next season, if we finish top or win the play-offs it looks like we wont have a ground suitable for Conf North!
thoughts.......
I think because it hasn't been laid out some don't believe.

The club are well aware of the situation and what is needed to be able to take promotion if we were in that position.

On another note I notice Salford capacity for the cup match has been set at 1,400, which maybe because it's a one off game but the rules for Step C are a capacity 1,950 with potential to increase to 3k and 3k is obviously required for Step B. I wonder if they have been given until March to get the ground to Step C level or if it has a capacity of 1,950 normally.

I am sure Salford will have plans which are easier than ours as they have their own ground and millionaire/billionaire owners but they are in the same boat as us, they just have an engine on theirs!

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:24 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
quakersam wrote:
thoughts.......
I am sure Salford will have plans which are easier than ours as they have their own ground and millionaire/billionaire owners but they are in the same boat as us, they just have an engine on theirs!
Hahah love that analogy :D
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:05 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:If all else fails it may mean the Arena or Poolie.

If we wait for the council to take the initiative we may be doomed.

Lots of positive talk before the general election, with unusual negativity to follow.

There may have been doubts about the Dubai deal in terms of "out of town" retail development, to finance the ambitious scheme, but the council is supposed to review and discuss, rather than take a hasty negative stance.

There are still a few large sites nearer to the town centre, even though many retail possibilities have been wasted on large sites in favour of extra offices, colleges, clinics, housing.

A development away from BM would most likely mean the end of the Darlington Rugby Club and I suppose this may have a big bearing on certain councillors who are looking after the interests of their pals.
You really do keep surpassing your ability to talk absolute shite don't you. :lol: :lol:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:27 pm

Nope we need to go for and get promotion.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:21 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
quakersam wrote:
thoughts.......
I think because it hasn't been laid out some don't believe.

The club are well aware of the situation and what is needed to be able to take promotion if we were in that position.

On another note I notice Salford capacity for the cup match has been set at 1,400, which maybe because it's a one off game but the rules for Step C are a capacity 1,950 with potential to increase to 3k and 3k is obviously required for Step B. I wonder if they have been given until March to get the ground to Step C level or if it has a capacity of 1,950 normally.

Segregation and the placement of the TV cameras and related equipment will reduce the capacity BUT I believe Step 2 grounds need to have ability for segregation.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:48 pm

We have been paying for the privilege to play there but see where you are coming from

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:06 pm

darloforever wrote:We should bring hp up too standard .sign a contract to keep us there for 2/3 years till we are in a position to move back .and leave bishop all the upgrades as a good will guestere. After all they have looked after us very well ....
Or...

We could allow those we have elected to carry on with their current negotiations and we may just end up in Darlo next season without having to wait 2/3 years.

Just a thought.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Why would we upgrade a ground that isn't ours? Bishop are also in the process of receiving £300k earmarked for ground improvements.

Bishop have (and continue to) treat us very well but they also get a significant amount of money to do so.

JABWootton

Post by JABWootton » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:15 pm

Would rather win promotion and worry about the ground for next season than not win promotion yet have the ground sorted

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:20 pm

For me, promotion isn't the be-all and end-all. Revenue isn't going to increase at HP (without a significant cup run or transfer), and promotion would naturally see an increase in playing costs in order to compete at a higher level.

Walk before you can run and all that.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:25 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:For me, promotion isn't the be-all and end-all. Revenue isn't going to increase at HP (without a significant cup run or transfer), and promotion would naturally see an increase in playing costs in order to compete at a higher level.

Walk before you can run and all that.
Agree, I am not worried about promotion at all. However I want to be up there challenging in the play off area all season. If we manage to get promoted I would be very happy but I do think it will give us some challenges financially.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:42 am

bertbanger wrote:..... is what we do this season going to turn out totally irrelevant?
thoughts.......
.... well yesterdays irrelevancy gained you £278 or whatever ... and Darlo? Well they netted £2,700 and left me in a good mood for the rest of the week ...