FA Trophy - Mossley Match thread.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo.For.Life
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA Trophy - Mossley Match thread.

Post by Darlo.For.Life » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:02 pm

I thought Callaghan had a solid game as well.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:23 pm

joejaques wrote:When you deduct ST holders from our average crowd, probably similar gate receipts. PLUS Prize money. :roll:
ST holders didn't pay today did they?

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
joejaques wrote:When you deduct ST holders from our average crowd, probably similar gate receipts. PLUS Prize money. :roll:
ST holders didn't pay today did they?
... of course we did ... ST's are for league games only ... for all clubs around the world, as far as I am aware ..... :think:

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:42 pm

We were crap for the first 20 minutes. Scott and Nowakowski nowhere to be seen, Galbraith getting beaten in the air. Only marginally improved after that. Callaghan was poor all game defensively.

If Gray is so keen on a cup run then he shouldn't be staying with players like Walton and Hymr.

Got away with a poor performance today thank god.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:42 pm

We were crap for the first 20 minutes. Scott and Nowakowski nowhere to be seen, Galbraith getting beaten in the air. Only marginally improved after that. Callaghan was poor all game defensively.

If Gray is so keen on a cup run then he shouldn't be starting with players like Walton and Hymr.

Last edited by Robbie Painter on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:45 pm

I actually enjoyed the game today, probably because we won as I certainly didn't enjoy the first 20 mins or so when we couldn't put a pass together.

Defence got caught a few times, which you probably expect when picking a team with little experience of playing each other and the following players missing, White, Burgess, Portas, Turnbull, Mitchell, Thompson, Dowson & Amar.

Overall Youhill & Nowakowski were the stand out but a number of decent performances from others also. I thought Nowakowski led us forward, he was big, strong and reasonable on the ball, with Turnbull missing it's just the right time to have this lad back.

Didn't see much from Hymr if I am honest, although unfair to judge the lad much on first game in a makeshift team.

Not sure how others felt but I really did think we needed to win today for a bit of positivity (outside of league and possible points deduction) around the club and the financial element is excellent. Will look forward to the draw on Monday where no new clubs will enter the comp as National League North and South come in at the 3rd Qualifying Rnd after the next round.

Dissappointed with the attendance in a way but a lot of home games in a row seemed to have an effect and obviously not as big an interest for some in the FA Trophy.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:51 pm

Youhill had their left back on toast. Goes past people so easily. Think he nutmegged him about 4 times. Dont think Gray would have him in ahead of Mitchell or Thommo, as he's not as good defensively, but I've been a bit disappointed with Mitchell attackingwise this season, and it was nice to have someone willing to take a man on. I also thought Callaghan did well, especially when getting forward. Thought the last substitution was a strange one, and gave them some impetus, especially as Walton was doing ok and had grown in confidence after scoring.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:51 pm

.... played much better than last week against inferior opposition. Nowakowski had a decent game on his home debut in my eyes and took his goal extremely well. I enjoyed today, but I'm not sure why we have suddenly decided to give teams an extra yard or so, although the sun (again) in the second half looked like a nuisance factor. Armie had a good game too, and the young lads were to be commended ... a very nice finish by Walton. Deserved winners butI'm looking forward to us hitting a bit of form .... then God help some team. Hopefully an away tie will help in the next round!

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:52 pm

Just to put the attendance, which I thought was decent, into perspective.

432 attended Darlo v Tamworth FA trophy game in 1st round in 2010

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/football ... 62.en.html

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:55 pm

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:57 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:I actually enjoyed the game today, probably because we won as I certainly didn't enjoy the first 20 mins or so when we couldn't put a pass together.

Defence got caught a few times, which you probably expect when picking a team with little experience of playing each other and the following players missing, White, Burgess, Portas, Turnbull, Mitchell, Thompson, Dowson & Amar.

Overall Youhill & Nowakowski were the stand out but a number of decent performances from others also. I thought Nowakowski led us forward, he was big, strong and reasonable on the ball, with Turnbull missing it's just the right time to have this lad back.

Didn't see much from Hymr if I am honest, although unfair to judge the lad much on first game in a makeshift team.

Not sure how others felt but I really did think we needed to win today for a bit of positivity (outside of league and possible points deduction) around the club and the financial element is excellent. Will look forward to the draw on Monday where no new clubs will enter the comp as National League North and South come in at the 3rd Qualifying Rnd after the next round.

Dissappointed with the attendance in a way but a lot of home games in a row seemed to have an effect and obviously not as big an interest for some in the FA Trophy.
9,000 were interested for 1 game. Attendances should build if there is a run and we are also in contention for promotion. The prize money is also a bonus with every penny obtained now going into the club.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:We were crap for the first 20 minutes. Scott and Nowakowski nowhere to be seen, Galbraith getting beaten in the air. Only marginally improved after that. Callaghan was poor all game defensively.

If Gray is so keen on a cup run then he shouldn't be staying with players like Walton and Hymr.

Spot on in my opinion. However, Nowakowski grew into the game and in the end was one of the standout players.
Great to see Youhill have a full 90 minutes, he frightens defenders and puts very decent balls into the box.
Thought Scott was off the pace today, probably because the ball was in the air so much...Hymar seemed very willing but thought there was a large gap between the front two and midfield and this probably did not suit his style of play. When Cartman and Gaskell came on we seemed to give them better service.
As RP said, we got away with it, but I think we will need to be a lot better in the next round if we want to progress

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:04 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:Gray is clearly not happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZZfWeR ... e=youtu.be
He was certainly not happy but not sure what he expected from a team to be honest that seemed a little cobbled together, playing a team all be it a division below but who are on a run of winning 6 out of 7 before today.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:07 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Just to put the attendance, which I thought was decent, into perspective.

432 attended Darlo v Tamworth FA trophy game in 1st round in 2010

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/football ... 62.en.html
Juts looking back and that was a midweek game by the looks of it, we hadn't played for 2 & 1/2 weeks before that match home or away and didn't play after for 2 & 1/2 weeks.

I just thought (maybe hoped) we might get about 800 today, never mind we have Buxton at home next Sat and I would imagine back above the 1k mark.

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:32 pm

He was definitely unhappy. Glad I'm not in the dressing room. I would suggest he is fuming with some of them.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

bga

Post by bga » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:43 pm

And I thought Mourinho was miserable during recent interviews! Wasn't there today but clearly MG will get this sorted.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:46 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:

He was certainly not happy but not sure what he expected from a team to be honest that seemed a little cobbled together, playing a team all be it a division below but who are on a run of winning 6 out of 7 before today.
He might not have been happy about the performance(don't think anyone was) but his sulky,childish attitude was pathetic.Too fond of blaming others for his own shortcomings at times.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:08 pm

... I think those of us who were there today ... including MG ... appreciated that we were a bit of a make shift side again ... However, we won against a lively, albeit inferior opposition, with several of our players having pleasing games and one or two less so ... considering EIGHT potential first teamers were missing and two star players on the bench, we did ok .... sometimes ok isn't enough, but the days of the steam roller have long since gone ...

Up The Quakers .....

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Emdubya wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:

He might not have been happy about the performance(don't think anyone was) but his sulky,childish attitude was pathetic.Too fond of blaming others for his own shortcomings at times.
I have to agree with you. That interview is car-crash stuff and reflects badly on the club.

He has every right to be unhappy with the performance (Youhill and Nowakowski were high points but these were the exception).

But we got a win and therefore his childish reaction to the press is unwarranted. If he wants to sulk about the performance, that's up to him.

But don't do it on camera where everyone can watch.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:21 pm

... I can see Nowakowski having a big impact. In 10 minutes away to Buxton he was impressive up until his injury ... then today he soon settled in, and looked fit, strong and skilful ... a delightful volley for his first goal with his left foot ... He might soften the blow of Amar's absence long term ...

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:54 pm

shootfromthehip wrote:you forgot the the sizzer kick over head volley (;
You are a twat.Do us all a favour and fuck off.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:58 pm

I disagree with MG, i thought we did okay today. We were never going to be great with the makeshift team but i thought we were up against a good side and I'm happy we got through. Early days i know, but Hymr had an absolute mare today, too slow and not physical enough.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:07 pm

It looked to me from Gray's tetchy, downbeat interview that there was more going on behind the scenes than just disappointment with a below-par performance from a vastly changed side. To me, over-riding everything else was the fact that we're in the hat for the next round and the players need credit for that in the circumstances of today's game.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:19 am

My own view is it was a poor performance. I thought Novakowski and youhill did well but it was alarming to see some defensive fragility emerge again. It reminded me of the FA cup game but fortunately we came out on top this time. Mossley had way too many chances for anybody to be wholly happy about the performance.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:49 am

LoidLucan wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a faster player in a Darlo shirt than Youhill

Adam Marsh ?? Round about the year 2000

He was rapid.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:14 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a faster player in a Darlo shirt than Youhill

Adam Marsh ?? Round about the year 2000

He was rapid.
Victor Kasule.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:27 am

Jakub may be a good East European technical player, but he probably needs a loan out to get fitter and ready for UK action.

Bridlington Reserves football is probably not the best place to experience the pace and physicality that is needed to be a success in the UK.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:08 am

Why would we sign a player and instantly loan him out... :crazy:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:32 am

Turnbull out with a broken jaw is confirmed, he will be missed but we do have Nowakowski, Portas, Scott and even Galbraith if required for centre midfield.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:19 pm

I'd imagine that becomes a CM partnership of Portal and Nowakowski if Turnbull is unavailable. Still probably one of the best partnerships in the league based on experience and technical skill.