books launch

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

books launch

Post by onewayup » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:27 pm

A very good turnout today from fans and former players and manager,s .typify,s what Darlington football club is all about,a true family club,fans management and players all pulling together in the same direction.a great afternoon.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: books launch

Post by princes town » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:36 pm

Great occasion. Players from different generations. Nice to talk briefly to Robbie Painter and Gary Bennett.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Great event organised by Ray Simpson, good turnout by the fans and nice to see the ex players. Ray said this event and the book itself has been worked on for a long time.

The book is a great read, if you get a chance to buy a copy do so, as it's only £12 and its money for the club.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:25 pm

For an oldie like me it was great to have a chat with John Peverill and chat about the 1966 promotion winning squad. All the players were very friendly and it was just a lovely afternoon.

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:54 pm

Great to catch up with the former players.Very nostalgic afternoon for this old girl.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Gutted Carl Airey didn't turn up :(

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:23 pm

I'm guessing very few would have recognised Robbie Painter & Simon Shaw without Ray's introduction. Many players were virtually unchanged.

Good to see John Hope there. Although not a household name he's probably had more coverage than all of the players there this afternoon - I'm sure for a period he was in the opening scenes of 'Match of the Day' in goal for Sheffield United and being the victim of a wonder goal from George Best.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Robbie hasn't changed that much apart from the beard and Facebook users will recognise Simon from his contributions on the tin shed fan page.
What stuck out in my mind was how many of them hobbled down the aisle! I think John Peverell, probably the oldest there, was one of the few who wasn't walking like he had been clattered a few minutes earlier!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:I'm guessing very few would have recognised Robbie Painter & Simon Shaw without Ray's introduction. Many players were virtually unchanged.

Good to see John Hope there. Although not a household name he's probably had more coverage than all of the players there this afternoon - I'm sure for a period he was in the opening scenes of 'Match of the Day' in goal for Sheffield United and being the victim of a wonder goal from George Best.
I think I was one of 7 Darlo fans who saw John Hope's only first team game for Darlo, at Kidderminster in the Bob Lord Trophy. It was a heck of a long way to go to see us play a team of reserves. Think we lost 2-0.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:10 pm

Does anyone have a list of who was there? I couldn't make it unfortunately

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Burgess. Atkinson. Peverill, Roger Wickes. Gaughan, Shaw, Painter (now Physio in Leeds). Bennett, Hodgson. Wainwright. chandler. Sam Russell. Kirkham. Mcjannett (from midlands), Maddison. Kevin Smith. Alan white. Coverdale. Hodgson. Gary brown. Hope.

For starters. There were maybe 10 more. At least 1 player from every promotion team.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:02 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I think I was one of 7 Darlo fans who saw John Hope's only first team game for Darlo, at Kidderminster in the Bob Lord Trophy. It was a heck of a long way to go to see us play a team of reserves. Think we lost 2-0.
D_F_C wrote:Does anyone have a list of who was there? I couldn't make it unfortunately

.... I'm sure Pete will have them written down somewhere .... ;)

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:06 pm

princes town wrote:Burgess. Atkinson. Peverill, Roger Wickes. Gaughan, Shaw, Painter (now Physio in Leeds). Bennett, Hodgson. Wainwright. chandler. Sam Russell. Kirkham. Mcjannett (from midlands), Maddison. Kevin Smith. Alan white. Coverdale. Hodgson. Gary brown. Hope.

For starters. There were maybe 10 more. At least 1 player from every promotion team.
Laurie Pearson, Gary Coatsworth and Mark Prudhoe were there along with Eddie Kyle as an ex manager/assistant.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:I'm guessing very few would have recognised Robbie Painter & Simon Shaw without Ray's introduction. Many players were virtually unchanged.

I think I was one of 7 Darlo fans who saw John Hope's only first team game for Darlo, at Kidderminster in the Bob Lord Trophy. It was a heck of a long way to go to see us play a team of reserves. Think we lost 2-0.
You are thinking of his son Chris Hope. John Hope is his dad.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:29 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

You are thinking of his son Chris Hope. John Hope is his dad.
Exactly. John Hope was a goalkeeper that left Darlington for Newcastle in 1969 and subsequently signed for Sheffield United in January 1971. John has another son, Richard, who also played for Darlington as a Centre back.