O/T Going to the Pub

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

wylam_rangers
Team Supported: Darlington

O/T Going to the Pub

Post by wylam_rangers » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:01 pm

Not that long ago I used to go to the pub every Tuesday and Friday and hardly ever drank at home.

Now I think about the price of a pint and transport and reckon every pint in the pub is 3 or 4 times what I'd pay Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda.

I'm feeling quite guilty about this as I see more and more pubs forced to close.

This attitude is having a huge impact on society and I'm sure it's not healthy. The internet is stealing our leisure time so I'm off to find a pub that is still open and I'll read posts later.

DIRTYDAVE

Re: O/T Going to the Pub

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:17 pm

try the quaker real ale pub. :wave: nice warm place to have a drink and needs the money ! :problem: but still great place ! :thumbup:

Sussex07

Post by Sussex07 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Stay in and talk to yourselve , with Sainsburys Stella artois at only £8 for 18 bottles .. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:43 am

Fosters was £1.10/pint in Yates on Friday i was gobsmacked, mind you, you have to put up with the growing number of chavs that get in that place !

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:11 am

Its more of a weed smoking culture than drinking culture these days so young uns don't go to pubs like we used to.

Then on top of that you have the smoking ban, the price etc.

I usually get out for a meal once every couple of months and we usually end up having a drink at the Oak Tree in Aycliffe afterwards, but there is normally no more than a handful of people in. It used to be packed in there on a Friday and Saturday night in the late 80's early 90's when I was on the lash every weekend. (and so was everybody else)

I dunno how it's still open, it can't be making money.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:38 am

In Stockton, where I live, the price for a pint of Carling varies but at £2.10 in the Thomas Sheraton, £2.20 in The Royal Oak, £2.60 in Georgia Browns (outside Happy Hour that is) and £2.70 in Goldies it is an expensive time out - I won't go on about the price of Stella! lol
COME ON DARLO!

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:51 am

Weatherspoons do Ruddles Bitter (not County) for 99p in all their outlets.

That's a cracking price for a real ale and at 3.7% it's a session beer.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Case in point.

Me and my mates were out in Manchester yesterday. A round was costing us about £15 so we said bugger this, bought 2 slabs of Carlsberg and about £10 worth of frozne pizzas, went back to mine and got rather drunk at a fraction of the price of the pubs.

Can't argue with that, but I do prefer sitting in a pub having a drink.
Although I'm not sure the pub enjoyed us playing "Urban Myth" and laughing our arses off at some of the answers.

I still can't believe Pollyphobia is the fear of parrots.

reddy

Post by reddy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Quakerz wrote:Its more of a weed smoking culture than drinking culture these days so young uns don't go to pubs like we used to.

Then on top of that you have the smoking ban, the price etc.

I usually get out for a meal once every couple of months and we usually end up having a drink at the Oak Tree in Aycliffe afterwards, but there is normally no more than a handful of people in. It used to be packed in there on a Friday and Saturday night in the late 80's early 90's when I was on the lash every weekend. (and so was everybody else)

I dunno how it's still open, it can't be making money.
its struggling q,to near extinction,make a cracking house mind.

RH79

Post by RH79 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:53 am

KCChiefs wrote:Fosters was £1.10/pint in Yates on Friday i was gobsmacked, mind you, you have to put up with the growing number of chavs that get in that place !
God, not Yates Fighting Lodge! That place is terrible. It is full of Chavs and yoofs and kids who think they are hard after 3 pints of Stella!

I also worry about not going to the pub. As you say it is cheaper to sit in, hoefully not on your own, and get some cans from Asda. That is going to kill pubs. Proper pubs are becoming harder and harder to find.

fcdarlo

Post by fcdarlo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:42 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:In Stockton, where I live, the price for a pint of Carling varies but at £2.10 in the Thomas Sheraton, £2.20 in The Royal Oak, £2.60 in Georgia Browns (outside Happy Hour that is) and £2.70 in Goldies it is an expensive time out - I won't go on about the price of Stella! lol

I appreciate the London pricing differences. But was in a bar (I shan't call it a pub) in West London for the birthday of my lasses brother and went to get a round of 4 beers in, after being told there was no draft despite thee being taps, I ordered 4 bottles of beers from a choice of Italian, Brazilian, Mexican or Japanese, seems British is too common and harder to mark up, I asked the barman how much………… a cool £20.

So £2 a pint is not so bad in my eyes

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:59 pm

I wouldn't be too happy being charged much more than £2.50 for something like Carling/Fosters/Carlsberg (obviously in London it's different). For what I normally drink though, anything under £3 is pretty good in most pubs/bars, even though I'm used to paying student prices. Getting charged £5 for a bottle seems a bit extortionate to me - I would probably only ever pay that for the liquid gold that is Okocim, given that it's about twice as strong as most lagers.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:09 pm

yeah london does cost alot of money. :wave: good thing iam living up north with cheap ale but have paid about £2:70 for ale in Darlo but it was great ale not that lager wee stuff :sick:

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:26 pm

fcdarlo wrote:
MikeinBlack wrote:In Stockton, where I live, the price for a pint of Carling varies but at £2.10 in the Thomas Sheraton, £2.20 in The Royal Oak, £2.60 in Georgia Browns (outside Happy Hour that is) and £2.70 in Goldies it is an expensive time out - I won't go on about the price of Stella! lol

I appreciate the London pricing differences. But was in a bar (I shan't call it a pub) in West London for the birthday of my lasses brother and went to get a round of 4 beers in, after being told there was no draft despite thee being taps, I ordered 4 bottles of beers from a choice of Italian, Brazilian, Mexican or Japanese, seems British is too common and harder to mark up, I asked the barman how much………… a cool £20.

Were you in a seedy bar in Soho? lol
COME ON DARLO!

fcdarlo

Post by fcdarlo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:58 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:
fcdarlo wrote:

Were you in a seedy bar in Soho? lol
Unfortunatley not, just an up it's own ass bar near Notting Hill.