Liam Hardy signs...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersam
Team Supported: Darlington

Liam Hardy signs...

Post by quakersam » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:11 pm

From Buxton.

19 goals this season, 14 from open play & 5 penalties

Scored against us twice
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

AndyPark

Re: Liam Hardy signs...

Post by AndyPark » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:22 pm

I'm sure he will be a decent acquisition.

But can we afford it?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:47 pm

Class act, great signing.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Used to play for Harrogate Town if I remember rightly from footy manager. Travelling with Cartman and Nowakowski?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Obviously he's a very good player, who will improve the squad. We have a truly ridiculous selection of strikers now. To have 2 from Cartman, Gaskell, Armstrong and Hardy on the bench is quite frankly obscene.

I do have my doubts as to whether spending money (assuming that is the case) is the best use of our funds, but I'll trust in those who are in control of such matters. Clearly we are going for the title. That in itself is exciting, but does again raise concerns about the ground issue - unless that is more sorted than is publicly known at this moment.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:55 pm

What sort of forward is he?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:09 pm

Has this signing been officially announced yet?

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:21 pm

No idea if a fee is involved but there was an article on the on the official site about a supporter being thanked for their financial contribution.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/thank-you-caroline/

Like Quakerz I don't for a second believe the figures banded around Non-Brain zone.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:24 pm

Well he is well up for the Salford game according to his Twitter account !
Think before posting

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:24 pm

What's he posted?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:45 pm

TFDM wrote:No idea if a fee is involved but there was an article on the on the official site about a supporter being thanked for their financial contribution.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/thank-you-caroline/

Like Quakerz I don't for a second believe the figures banded around Non-Brain zone.
Well that seems like more than a coincidence!

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:50 pm

It could be nothing more than what it is. Fact is no one knows the details of any deal or how its structured. Its all speculation. And non-brain zone has a proven track record of complete and utter BS so I wouldn't believe anything from there.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:53 pm

TFDM wrote:It could be nothing more than what it is. Fact is no one knows the details of any deal or how its structured. Its all speculation. And non-brain zone has a proven track record of complete and utter BS so I wouldn't believe anything from there.
Oh I don't believe anything from NLZ - the amount of nonsense on there about us is actually a little frightening!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:04 pm

AndyPark wrote:What's he posted?
https://twitter.com/liam_hardy

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:42 am

Some fish biting at what looks like a spoof. Hope there is a new signing to replace Dowson, as the squad looks thin.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:48 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Some fish biting at what looks like a spoof. Hope there is a new signing to replace Dowson, as the squad looks thin.
You are the new Hutchy.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:06 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Some fish biting at what looks like a spoof. Hope there is a new signing to replace Dowson, as the squad looks thin.
Neil, he is signing for us. Buxton have pretty much announced, the player has announced and Gray has met with the player a couple of times.

By all accounts Salford were interested and were in touch with Buxton about him after us.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:27 am

Its weird. New signings seem to fill me with worry of will they rock the boat, rather than excitement of what they can do these days. Though I did love the chip he scored against us a couple of weeks back.

There is also a worry in the back of my mind of overspending, I have no clue as the finances but I really hope this has zero impact on a move back to Darlo. For me the priority has to be to get back into town, where as Gray seems so fixed on continued promotions, I just hope we can have both. Looking at the 5 strikers we are carrying you can’t help but think finances are being well stretched.
Last edited by BaronsCourtQuaker on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:27 am

Buxton have announced it...

http://football29.wix.com/buxtonfc
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:34 am

I'm generally surprised ANYONE believes ANYTHING from NLZ.

£15k?! For a player who is 28 and who's contract expires in 3/4 months? I just honestly do not believe that.

The fee for Cartman wasn't even half of that and he is 2/3 years younger who had clubs interested from higher up.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:53 am

Darlofan97 wrote:I'm generally surprised ANYONE believes ANYTHING from NLZ.

£15k?! For a player who is 28 and who's contract expires in 3/4 months? I just honestly do not believe that.

The fee for Cartman wasn't even half of that and he is 2/3 years younger who had clubs interested from higher up.
And you know the Cartman fee how?

He sounds like an excellent player but paying out fees for players, where ever the money has come from, when we run at a loss & are about to raise more money for BM is entirely wrong to me.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:59 am

Robbie Painter wrote:He sounds like an excellent player but paying out fees for players, where ever the money has come from, when we run at a loss & are about to raise more money for BM is entirely wrong to me.
This Robbie.

I can only imagine the fans will be asked to stump up some money for the move back to Darlo. I get it, its our club ect ect and I'd like to think over the years I have done my bit and will continue to do so. However I have found myself not chucking money into buckets of late as with seemingly no concrete plans in place for a move I'm not sure I trust where this money is going any more.

It worries me that if i'm worrying about it i'm sure i'm not alone.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:22 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:He sounds like an excellent player but paying out fees for players, where ever the money has come from, when we run at a loss & are about to raise more money for BM is entirely wrong to me.
This Robbie.

I can only imagine the fans will be asked to stump up some money for the move back to Darlo. I get it, its our club ect ect and I'd like to think over the years I have done my bit and will continue to do so. However I have found myself not chucking money into buckets of late as with seemingly no concrete plans in place for a move I'm not sure I trust where this money is going any more.

It worries me that if i'm worrying about it i'm sure i'm not alone.
I can see the points you've both raised, but the situation doesn't unduly worry me.

Football teams cost money. There's always going to be wages and possibly the odd small fee to find. The same applies to the upcoming move. There's been fundraising already, and there was always going to be some more.

So - the team and the move, two separate things running along side by side.

I trust that this transfer has been properly costed, and I suppose that's it..... it all boils down to a matter of trust.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:27 am

It seems bizarre to me when fees are mentioned at all for players at this level - I'm pretty sure we barely ever paid a fee for anyone when we were a League 2 team, so I find it odd we would now when several divisions lower.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:34 am

Robbie Painter wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:I'm generally surprised ANYONE believes ANYTHING from NLZ.

And you know the Cartman fee how?

He sounds like an excellent player but paying out fees for players, where ever the money has come from, when we run at a loss & are about to raise more money for BM is entirely wrong to me.
Things like that are hardly's top secret. They come out the wash eventually.

But yes, I agree with not spending fees given the situation, but I don't believe in this case the fee will be worth writing home about. Just my personal opinion, again I will also reiterate that we have just lost several players (Gibbons, Callaghan, Kneeshaw & Dowson), with Purewal to go out on loan too.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I trust that this transfer has been properly costed, and I suppose that's it..... it all boils down to a matter of trust.
Absolutely correct. I just find myself questioning that trust at time ticks by. I'm not at all questioning peoples good intentions or hard work.

When your presented with the possibility of promotion football seems to lead you down a dark alley where sense can start to go by the wayside.

I hope your right OFC and all is very much in order. Despite Bishop being closer to home for me I really want to get the move back to Darlo.

But anyway welcome to the club Liam, looking forward to seeing you bang some goals in.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:57 am

I don't think we should be paying fees for anyone at all at the moment, we have a shortfall of 100k so the only time I can really agree is if a released players wages are more than the fee+wages of the incoming player, and even then I think Id rather offset the deficit a bit.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:10 pm

I assume that any money has come from the existing playing budget and was therefore already taken into account when this shortfall was announced. However if we did have an underspend you would have thought that any unused money could be redirected rather than adding to a squad that is already pretty handy.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Do we play 3 up front to accommodate Hardy, as I can't see Cartman or Gaskill being dropped. Does anybody know what sort of height he is?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:53 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Do we play 3 up front to accommodate Hardy, as I can't see Cartman or Gaskill being dropped. Does anybody know what sort of height he is?
No...just No.

We are in great form playing 4-4-2 and to coin an old phrase...'if it ain't broke...'

We tinkered around to accommodate Kneeshaw and it resulted in us getting beat earlier in the season.

Hardy will get his chance to impress