Worst weather you've ever seen Darlo play in?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Worst weather you've ever seen Darlo play in?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:38 pm

Three games stick in my memory.

The first was a pre-season game at poolie, in the second half the heavens opened and the rain must have been bouncing over a foot off the terraces. Even the coppers tried to take refuge in the food outlet hut. To make it a perfect day we lost 7 or 8 nil. Luckily there was only about 50 of us there to watch the debacle.

Second game was at Feethams and it was the end of the season. The game should never have gone ahead, but it was against Torquay, so we had to play it. It was an evening game, but we didn't really need the floodlights on, due to sheet lightening illuminating the pitch almost all the time. Of course the game would never go ahead these days, due to H & S issues.

Finally, we played Doncaster at home and there was a real pea souper at Feethams. You could barely see the half way line. Kicking towards the polam lane end it was 0-0 at half-time, then we scored five unanswered goals in the second half. I've never seen such a terrible game in the first half, be totally transformed in the second half.

MKDarlo

Re: Worst weather you've ever seen Darlo play in?

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:42 pm

Kendal away.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:47 pm

Morecambe away!

Also, of the matches that finished - Accrington away on a Tuesday night, open away end, freezing, lashed it down from start to finish. That was the night Jeff Winter accused Accy of treating Darlo fans like animals for not giving us warm rugs/shelter/food etc and for having the gall to make us pay to get in.

the fucking prick.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Consett away

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Mullet69 wrote:Also, of the matches that finished - Accrington away on a Tuesday night, open away end, freezing, lashed it down from start to finish. That was the night Jeff Winter accused Accy of treating Darlo fans like animals for not giving us warm rugs/shelter/food etc and for having the gall to make us pay to get in.
This was a dreadful away game, didn't we get beat 2-0 or 2-1 that day aswell? Remember getting in the car home absolutely drenched head to foot.

feethamslad

Post by feethamslad » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:55 pm

Mullet69 wrote:Morecambe away!

Also, of the matches that finished - Accrington away on a Tuesday night, open away end, freezing, lashed it down from start to finish. That was the night Jeff Winter accused Accy of treating Darlo fans like animals for not giving us warm rugs/shelter/food etc and for having the gall to make us pay to get in.

the fucking prick.

Ha! I remember that match well. I was so wet that the dye started to run out of my jeans, had to take them off in the street and drive home in my underpants (TMI!) so that I didn't get blue stains on my brand new car seats :D

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:10 pm

Feethams cant remember who it was against but they had given away free tickets to the south stand.

lashed it down only me and my son stood there everyone else went to the shelter of the main stand LOL.

only a bit of rain i said to a steward when he asked if i wanted to go under cover...

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:08 pm

I (half) remember a game away to Scarborough.

Early – Mid 90’s, we lost 3-0 (maybe 4) and had one, possible two players sent off, one I think was Gregan.

Would have been drier to have jumped into the sea.

Anyone remember and tell me the score and if im making up the red cards.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:52 pm

I was at the Scarborough game. It was 3rd Jan or something and my programme melted. It was not long after Alan Murray had taken over from Billy boy. We did indeed lose 3-0. Don't know if that was the red cards match. There was one game there under Hodgy where we lost 4-1 and had 2 sent off.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:06 pm

Merthyr Tydfil home 89/90. Blizzard, wind, rain and sunshine in 90 minutes.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I was at the Scarborough game. It was 3rd Jan or something and my programme melted. It was not long after Alan Murray had taken over from Billy boy. We did indeed lose 3-0. Don't know if that was the red cards match. There was one game there under Hodgy where we lost 4-1 and had 2 sent off.
The 4-1 we had (certainly) Andy Crosby and (I think) Mark Barnard sent off. Crosby came and sat in the away end. Remember Gary Bennett was playing for Scarborough and was a right dirty twat.

Can't remember the weather that day though - like most away days, I was drunk.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Doncaster away at the old Belle Vue ground about 12 years ago.

I distinctly remember a small van being blown off the A19 and into a ditch directly in front of us on the way down. Needless to say the wind never subsided and what ensued was absolute comedy. Shots being fired in from the centre circle and I'm sure we got a corner directly off one of their goal kicks. Convery got the goal for us but they equalised late on.

Donny went on to win promotion while the point was another step towards survival as part of the miraculous escape under Hodgson. Danny Graham made his debut that day for us whilst a quick google tells you the Donny team featured Tim Ryan, Steve Foster, Ricky Ravenhill and Gregg Blundell. And Leo Fortune-West.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:Doncaster away at the old Belle Vue ground about 12 years ago.

I distinctly remember a small van being blown off the A19 and into a ditch directly in front of us on the way down. Needless to say the wind never subsided and what ensued was absolute comedy. Shots being fired in from the centre circle and I'm sure we got a corner directly off one of their goal kicks. Convery got the goal for us but they equalised late on.

Donny went on to win promotion while the point was another step towards survival as part of the miraculous escape under Hodgson. Danny Graham made his debut that day for us whilst a quick google tells you the Donny team featured Tim Ryan, Steve Foster, Ricky Ravenhill and Gregg Blundell. And Leo Fortune-West.
I remember this day, and I'm sure that we did get a corner from a goal kick, as it happened at the end we were standing. The game was a farce but it probably worked in our favour as they looked the better team.

I can remember an advertising hoarding been blown on to the pitch and also some dodgy looking roofing panels flapping around.

Not the worst but Newton Aycliffe away during the Northern League campaign. During the second half the pitch started to freeze up - we could hear the grass crunching and cracking under the players boots.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:57 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I (half) remember a game away to Scarborough.

Early – Mid 90’s, we lost 3-0 (maybe 4) and had one, possible two players sent off, one I think was Gregan.

I remember this one - If i recall rightly was that the game the police were stopping people talking umbrellas into the game as they were seen as 'weapons' ? My dad argued with them for about 5 minutes - managed to get his in, but when the heavens opened and no-one else was in with a brolley, he didnt dare put his up !!

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:34 pm

the game has to finish surely!
Mullet69 wrote:Also, of the matches that finished - Accrington away on a Tuesday night, open away end, freezing, lashed it down from start to finish. That was the night Jeff Winter accused Accy of treating Darlo fans like animals for not giving us warm rugs/shelter/food etc and for having the gall to make us pay to get in.

the fucking prick.
They let us in the stand down the side when it started to piss down

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:34 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I (half) remember a game away to Scarborough.

that was a bad one. Piss wet through and got stuffed

bga

Post by bga » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:21 pm

The play off Final v Peterborough at Wembley was a farce and should never have been played. Whilst most fans were dry the playing surface certainly wasn't. Pressure of Sky TV and the Football league wanting to end the season on time led to our downfall.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:36 pm

The best bit of that game at Donny, was when their keeper was forced to kick it out of his hands. It went straight up in the air and then it blew back behind him for a corner, without anybody touching the ball. The look on the keepers face, was worth the admission fee just for that. Everybody was killing themselves laughing. Not quite sure how both teams scored into that win, us in the first half and them in the second.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:21 am

I remember a Wigan away, on the open end at Springfield Park, poured throughout the game, local kids chucking stones. I think we were 3-0 down and lost 3-2 with one of their goals from a free kick in the area from a back pass? Pretty sure they romped away with the league that year. We were soaked through.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:16 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:I remember a Wigan away, on the open end at Springfield Park, poured throughout the game, local kids chucking stones. I think we were 3-0 down and lost 3-2 with one of their goals from a free kick in the area from a back pass? Pretty sure they romped away with the league that year. We were soaked through.
I remember that one - it was a Tuesday night, re-arranged from the Boxing Day (when we only found out it was off (along with a load of locals) at 2:55 when we got to the ground.)

We were garbage that night, but somehow still managed to make the score look better than the performance.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:19 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
the game has to finish surely!

the fucking prick.
They let us in the stand down the side when it started to piss down
Not this time mate - their first home game back in the league when we took about 1000 through that was the case, and possibly another time after that, but this particular Tuesday night that stand was definitely not open. There probably wasn't even 100 Darlo there either.

I remember a Saturday match there too - pissed it down again, remember Pav scoring, think we won. Not long after the smoking ban came in.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

doomer

Post by doomer » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:41 pm

February 2005 Darlington vs Swansea in the snow at the arena. Darlo won 2-1 http://www.11v11.com/matches/darlington ... 005-27693/

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 pm

doomer wrote:February 2005 Darlington vs Swansea in the snow at the arena. Darlo won 2-1 http://www.11v11.com/matches/darlington ... 005-27693/
Yes I remember that game, Sarf and his daughter who both had season tickets, came up from Southend and it snowed all the way from Essex up to Darlo. We were drinking in the bar with about half an hour to kick-off and I persuaded a steward to come in and say that the game was postponed. Well Sarf really kicked off at the news, until we fell about laughing. We scored a late winner and Sarf went home very happy, getting home at 03-30!!! Now that's loyalty.

boorman

Post by boorman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:57 pm

There was an away game at Southend which I think we ended up losing 2-1 at a guess. Late 90s some time. I can still picture David Preece coming out of his box to clear a ball and falling in the lake outside the penalty area, which I think Southend scored the winning goal from.

Pete:
I can remember a game at home to Donny in 95 or 96 that was a 2-1 loss and the fog was so bad that I couldn't see the goal at the South Terrace end when standing in the Paddock! Is that the one you mean? Or was there yet another Donny fog occasion? Doncaster were an absolute disgrace that night.... it was when Gary Brabin broke Sean Gregan's jaw but Gregan was the one who got sent off. The recent Ramsbottom playoff game reminded me of the bloodsports from that night, but I think Doncaster and Brabin still have the prize for being the most vile bunch of players I've ever seen.

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:32 am

I wanna say Kendal, but the game was called off.

I would say Consett away. Fucking tipping it down.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:33 am

boorman wrote:There was an away game at Southend which I think we ended up losing 2-1 at a guess. Late 90s some time. I can still picture David Preece coming out of his box to clear a ball and falling in the lake outside the penalty area, which I think Southend scored the winning goal from.

Pete:
I can remember a game at home to Donny in 95 or 96 that was a 2-1 loss and the fog was so bad that I couldn't see the goal at the South Terrace end when standing in the Paddock! Is that the one you mean? Or was there yet another Donny fog occasion? Doncaster were an absolute disgrace that night.... it was when Gary Brabin broke Sean Gregan's jaw but Gregan was the one who got sent off. The recent Ramsbottom playoff game reminded me of the bloodsports from that night, but I think Doncaster and Brabin still have the prize for being the most vile bunch of players I've ever seen.
Yes I think I was getting confused, with a midweek Donny game when there was about a 1000 at Feethams, the first half was absolutely terrible and then we scored 5 kicking towards the tinshed in the second half.
That Donny game was a farce as we could only see about a third of the pitch. We only knew Donny had scored when there fans raised a cheer at the other end.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
boorman wrote:There was an away game at Southend which I think we ended up losing 2-1 at a guess. Late 90s some time. I can still picture David Preece coming out of his box to clear a ball and falling in the lake outside the penalty area, which I think Southend scored the winning goal from.

Pete:
Definitely against Donny as I remember chanting 'Tin Shed, Tin Shed, tell us the score' as could not see the half way line, let alone the second set of goalposts.
Yes I think I was getting confused, with a midweek Donny game when there was about a 1000 at Feethams, the first half was absolutely terrible and then we scored 5 kicking towards the tinshed in the second half.
That Donny game was a farce as we could only see about a third of the pitch. We only knew Donny had scored when there fans raised a cheer at the other end.
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Pete:

polam

Post by polam » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Plymouth away in the FA Cup 1984, behind a big fence and it chucked in down all match then just as we thought it would be a reply they scored a late winner right in front of us. Also Colchester away in the 1989 relegation season when we won in the fog.