excited!!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlodaz
Team Supported: Darlington

excited!!

Post by darlodaz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:11 am

have to laugh at the ginger kid when we score our 1st goal then the other lad when our second goes in both lads in same area.then listening to ray goin off it with the commentary.just a curiosity will we as darlo supporters ever have it so good again the higher we go?did the fa maybe do us a favour in hindsight?

Darlo_Pete

Re: excited!!

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:15 am

Yes of course we can have it as good again. In forty plus years as a fan, there have been many low points, but there have been plenty of high points as well. I always say it is better to win in a lower league, than struggle or lose in a higher league.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:19 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Yes of course we can have it as good again. In forty plus years as a fan, there have been many low points, but there have been plenty of high points as well. I always say it is better to win in a lower league, than struggle or lose in a higher league.
Better for who?

That theory completely undermines the principal of competitive sport - to achieve the highest level that you can.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:24 am

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Yes of course we can have it as good again. In forty plus years as a fan, there have been many low points, but there have been plenty of high points as well. I always say it is better to win in a lower league, than struggle or lose in a higher league.
Better for who?

That theory completely undermines the principal of competitive sport - to achieve the highest level that you can.
Better for us, better crowds and happier fans. Of course we want to get up the leagues as far as we can, but I'd rather follow a team that was near the top of the league it is in, rather than fighting relegation in the league above.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:26 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Better for who?

Better for us, better crowds and happier fans. Of course we want to get up the leagues as far as we can, but I'd rather follow a team that was near the top of the league it is in, rather than fighting relegation in the league above.
So, you're just another fair weather supporter the, Pete. :roll:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:36 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Better for who?

The idea is you try to improve in that league - not actively avoid getting there.

This isn't the Northern League.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:42 am

The problem in this league is that most away teams bring next to 0 supporters. If we were to go up there are more teams who would bring a reasonable amount of fans, so we would benefit there.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:42 pm

totally agree with teams in higher leagues bringing more support ie stockport fc utd boston even few others could be interesting regd possible all ticket games what with return to darlo and on a roll so to speak.mind all this is speculation and in great hope we finish the season being promoted.up the whites!!!!

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Better for who?

:shock:

This makes no sense.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Course it makes sense more people follow a successful team than one which is struggling

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:01 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Course it makes sense more people follow a successful team than one which is struggling
Marvellous. Let's just stay in this league then :roll:

You're talking out of your backside anyway. Our average attendance in the 2009 Todd, Staunton and Davey season was 1943.

A year later, the season we won the FA Trophy and had a chance of play-offs in the Conference, our average attendance was 1886.

So there goes your theory.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:32 pm

I must admit that I was excited all last night , but this morning my typical Darlo pessimism (since 1983) has kicked in and I'm more nervous today, and I bet I'm not the only one. We're so close, but I've got a few concerns running through my head. I'd be very grateful if some people could reframe my pessimism and make me feel better.

1. Looking at the weather forecast is a real concern. Heavy rain non-stop from 4am Tuesday morning, then light rain all afternoon not stopping until 10pm Weds night. If this forecast pans out, there's not a hope of the game being on, and even if we chose to play it, it would be a lottery. We've literally got no free days left to play on.

2. Recent injuries to Turnbull and Scott and Hunter's imminent ban leaves us extremely stretched in our squad with so many games to fit in a short space of time.

3. We have 3 games at home in a row, but HP is in such a state with more bad weather to come that the pitch could make these 'easier' games a leveller.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:24 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Course it makes sense more people follow a successful team than one which is struggling
But the whole aim of the pyramid structure is to get as high as you can, otherwise being near the top of a league or winning games is pointless, so Pete's statement makes no sense because it's self-contradictory. He's essentially saying he'd rather be in a league below fighting for promotion than struggling in the league above. So he'd rather be fighting to get promoted into the league above than actually being in the league above. :shock:

Also, Pete says "better crowds", but our crowds are worse now than when we were struggling in higher leagues.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Might have something to do with playing away from town ??

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:41 pm

My point was more of the floating support will come to watch a winning team than a losing team

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:52 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Might have something to do with playing away from town ??
darlo reborn wrote:My point was more of the floating support will come to watch a winning team than a losing team
Fair enough, these two statements may have some truth to them, but I was more having a go at the rest of Pete's post.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:56 pm

joejaques wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Better for who?

So, you're just another fair weather supporter the, Pete. :roll:
Not at all, I've followed Darlo through all our darkest times and there's been a few!!

satchmo76
Team Supported: Barnsley

Post by satchmo76 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:33 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I must admit that I was excited all last night , but this morning my typical Darlo pessimism (since 1983) has kicked in and I'm more nervous today, and I bet I'm not the only one. We're so close, but I've got a few concerns running through my head. I'd be very grateful if some people could reframe my pessimism and make me feel better.

1. Looking at the weather forecast is a real concern. Heavy rain non-stop from 4am Tuesday morning, then light rain all afternoon not stopping until 10pm Weds night. If this forecast pans out, there's not a hope of the game being on, and even if we chose to play it, it would be a lottery. We've literally got no free days left to play on.

2. Recent injuries to Turnbull and Scott and Hunter's imminent ban leaves us extremely stretched in our squad with so many games to fit in a short space of time.

3. We have 3 games at home in a row, but HP is in such a state with more bad weather to come that the pitch could make these 'easier' games a leveller.
1. If Darlo win the other games, they could concede the 4th and still win the title

2. Blyth are imploding and could easily draw or lose either remaining game

3. A postponement means a rest period

4. Gray can rotate the squad, even play the kids one night

satchmo76

Post by satchmo76 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:38 pm

darlo reborn wrote:My point was more of the floating support will come to watch a winning team than a losing team
1. Higher quality opposition should attract more fans

2. Moving back to a ground in Darlington will raise the average attendance no matter what league position

3. I think Darlo can easily challenge for play-offs in Conference North given a home base in the town and the ability to attract better players.

4. There will be some dross in Conf North so I don't see Darlo being in relegation danger or infact losing many home games (away will be a lot harder)

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:39 am

Vodka_Vic wrote: 1. Looking at the weather forecast is a real concern. Heavy rain non-stop from 4am Tuesday morning, then light rain all afternoon not stopping until 10pm Weds night. If this forecast pans out, there's not a hope of the game being on, and even if we chose to play it, it would be a lottery. We've literally got no free days left to play on.
How soon can the league re-arrange fixtures if required? IF the game is off (hope it's not) could it be rescheduled for Thursday this week, when we appear to have a clear day weatherwise? :roll:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:44 am

They would simply HAVE TO rearrange for Thursday - there is no alternative.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:54 am

Sunday 24th - We should know by then whether it matters or not and we could always push to have our playoff on the Wednesday rather than Tuesday?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:07 am

lo36789 wrote:Sunday 24th - We should know by then whether it matters or not and we could always push to have our playoff on the Wednesday rather than Tuesday?

You can't do that!

The season is over/finished on the day before.

Get The Arena booked for Tuesday. (joke)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:48 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Sunday 24th - We should know by then whether it matters or not and we could always push to have our playoff on the Wednesday rather than Tuesday?

You can't do that!

No it isn't. The season finishes on Saturday 30th. The league need to allow a week for playoffs.

satchmo76

Post by satchmo76 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:20 am

If the forecast is for rain until Weds night, I don't think it's feasible to move the game to Thursday. You've also got to consider work arrangements for Skem's players, and the ground staff issues.

I think the league will cross it's fingers that Darlo win the league without needing to play the game.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:21 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:I must admit that I was excited all last night , but this morning my typical Darlo pessimism (since 1983) has kicked in and I'm more nervous today, and I bet I'm not the only one. We're so close, but I've got a few concerns running through my head. I'd be very grateful if some people could reframe my pessimism and make me feel better.

Hi Adam,not looking good for Tuesday which is a blow but Skelmersdale have 4 games left and if they will not play ball and play this week they will have to fit the remaining 4 games next week and as we are committed to Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday then finishing on Saturday 23rd it appears they have little choice but to play this week.I would imagine the FA/Evostick league would ensure common sense prevails and fit this game in this week.

Agreed it's a concern with injuries to Turnbull and Scott but Portas would be nailed on to play and probably Nowakoski but if MG still has Wheldon available he could bring him in at LB and move Tezz into midfield.When Chris Hunters ban kicks in, I would without doubt bring Alan White in and switch Gary Brown to RB, still a very solid back four IMO, Whitey is very fit and would not let us down.

We have proved we can grind out results on any surface and if HP is in a mess that holds no worries for me as we have players who can play it on the deck as well as our set piece threats so we will be ok on that one.

Tense for all of us Adam, try and relax for the next 2 weeks, we are in a fantastic position ( bet Blyth wish they were 1 point behind with 2 games in hand) 10 points for the title and if Blyth only draw at Matlock this Saturday we could clinch it next Tuesday at home to Grantham.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:30 am

lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

You can't do that!

No it isn't. The season finishes on Saturday 30th. The league need to allow a week for playoffs.
I'd doubt the league would move it to the Sunday. Bearing in mind, if the title hasn't been won by then, Blyth would complain we'd have an unfair advantage by playing our final game after them.

More likely to be moved to Thursday or Friday this week, or Monday/Wednesday next week. But hopefully the game will go ahead tomorrow - we will see.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:55 am

I am pretty sure they'll expect us to play it Thursday this week as well to be honest and I don't really mind that. If that can't be done then the later the better.

Friday the following week would be as preferable as the Sunday I suppose. If we can beat Stamford and Grantham who knows - we could already be over the line.

Matlock weren't that bad a side from what I remember?

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:00 am

We did beat them 5-0 and some of their defending was woeful.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:03 am

Matlock beat Blyth 4-2 in the FA Trophy earlier in the season. Anything is possible!