Brown, Thompson, Galbraith & Hunter sign 2 year deals

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Brown, Thompson, Galbraith & Hunter sign 2 year deals

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 02, 2016 6:59 pm

As above

To be honest I thought he had signed an 18 month when he came back anyhow.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/gar ... -contract/
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Mon May 02, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Darlofan97

Re: Gary Brown signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:08 pm

I think that is now Jameson, Burgess, Brown, Portas, Scott, Cartman & Hardy contracted now.

I do presume that Thompson is contracted after signing a 'long-term' deal in 2014, and Turnbull was more than a one-year contract also.

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Gary Brown signs 2 year deal

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 02, 2016 7:17 pm

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Gary Brown signs 2 year deal and Thompson also

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Hunter also signs a 2 year deal.

loan_star

Re: Gary Brown signs 2 year deal and Thompson also

Post by loan_star » Mon May 02, 2016 7:24 pm

Chances are that those already under contract will get improved contracts to match our league standing now. Its been a couple of years almost since Tommo signed his so its only fair it be reviewed.

darlodave1974

Re: Brown, Thompson & Hunter sign 2 year deals

Post by darlodave1974 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Good news

Ricardo darlo

Re: Brown, Thompson & Hunter sign 2 year deals

Post by Ricardo darlo » Mon May 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Fantastic news,top work MG and the board

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Brown, Thompson, Galbraith & Hunter sign 2 year deals

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Galbraith also signs 2 year deal.

darlodave1974

Post by darlodave1974 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Keeps getting better

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Best rename this thread as most of the squad sign new deals!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Great news about all of them, especially Hunter for me. Think he is a bit of a silent hero of this team. Incredibly solid at RB and CB and his pace gets us out of so many tight situations.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon May 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Hunter has been by far player of the year for me! Feel free to abuse me Ben for mocking your love in for him before we signed him!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 02, 2016 7:53 pm

It's great that we have the nucleus of this years team signed up for the next 2 seasons.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon May 02, 2016 9:43 pm

Assuming last season's signings aren't up for re-newel, then we are definitely trying to keep the team together. Jameson may deserve a longer contract what with his age and potential in the transfer market. Same may apply to Nathan.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 02, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm surprised that no bigger clubs appear to have been interested in any of our squad, as a good few of them could do a job for teams further up the pyramid. I think a lot of credit should go to Gray and the other coaches, for selling the club to our players.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:56 pm

They may be Pete we only get money for players if they are on contract though. Also remember that any higher in the pyramid means full time - bit gamble you have to leave your job for a 1 year/2 year at most contract.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 02, 2016 11:09 pm

These are exciting times for a number of our players. Just think .... they could be one promotion away from full time football - with Darlo!

One season away perhaps.

For the players still with us from our Northern League season, and the ones that joined slightly later (Mitchell/Thompson/Galbraith) this must seem incredible.

From playing Newton Aycliffe to playing Stockport County. :thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 03, 2016 5:18 am

When we eventually get to the Conference, it may mean we'll have to do more of a squad re-build, as players who don't want to go full-time, will naturally have to move on.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue May 03, 2016 6:14 am

I'd love to know how we will be able to afford to go full time if we reach the Conference.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue May 03, 2016 6:20 am

Robbie Painter wrote:I'd love to know how we will be able to afford to go full time if we reach the Conference.
Agreed. We are a long, long way from this.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:21 am

Robbie Painter wrote:I'd love to know how we will be able to afford to go full time if we reach the Conference.
I'd be interested to know if it is even worthwhile.

Assuming a player on the national average wage of £26,500. I wonder if the part time player who takes £500 per week is actually a better quality player than the full timer taking £750 per week. A better quality player that realises they are better off from p/t football (eg. Turnbull and soon to be Jamie Chandler)

The part timer is earning £46,500 and has the security of a job after football. The full timer is earning £39,000 and only have the security of the 1 or 2 year contract that they are on.

On the basis of having 18 players and the above being an average. It costs the club £342k less per annum in wages.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 03, 2016 7:28 am

lo36789 wrote:
I'd be interested to know if it is even worthwhile.

Assuming a player on the national average wage of £26,500. I wonder if the part time player who takes £500 per week is actually a better quality player than the full timer taking £750 per week. A better quality player that realises they are better off from p/t football (eg. Turnbull and soon to be Jamie Chandler)

The part timer is earning £46,500 and has the security of a job after football. The full timer is earning £39,000 and only have the security of the 1 or 2 year contract that they are on.

On the basis of having 18 players and the above being an average. It costs the club £342k less per annum in wages.
I guess there becomes a difference in fitness and possibly how the team plays together if they are full time. Training 4 or 5 days a week rather than 1 or 2. How much difference this makes I don't know.

But yes, there's certainly a case from a players point of view that P/T is a safer option. It amazes me that we still have pretty much 5 full time divisions in this country.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:08 am

The success of teams like Dover in the conference give me hope that you can be competitive with part time players (while being slightly on a limb, geographically). I think we will be a PT club for the considerable future and if that'd what's required to keep us financially stable then I have no problem with it. As the simplified figures above showed the PT route is a massive savings and we have to wonder whether having the best PT players in our region can compete with FT players dropping out of the football league from Hartlepool or Dropping from Gateshead as they will likely be able to pay more than us.

It's also likely the higher up the pyramid we go the more attractive we will be to potential loan signings from all the north east clubs

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 03, 2016 8:20 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:These are exciting times for a number of our players. Just think .... they could be one promotion away from full time football - with Darlo!

One season away perhaps.
I'm one million percent certain that when we get to the conference Premier that we will not be able to afford full time football.

Think about it...

Clubs like Chester who climbed the leagues stayed part time, because they simply couldn't afford to be full time. During their rise they had no debt to pay off, nor did they need to fund a new ground, so they should have been a lot wealthier than we will be.

Also, we've sold a proportion of our next 5 years income in advance. While we are playing below conference national level and the wage bill is at a lower level, obviously the increase in gates and sponsorship from playing back at home will plug the 5 year ST gap - but once we are in the conference national and the part time wages and travel jumps to the next level, then I think we'll find it hard (though not impossible) to exist at that level even as a part time team.

Just looking at recent accounts and guessing the increases in turnover from climbing the leagues and charging more, I find it hard to comprehend how any club without a sugar daddy can possibly have a decent full time budget on gates of less than 3,000. OK in the league you can, but league clubs get hundreds of thousands of pounds of league + tv money as well.

Conference clubs get next to fuck all.

So even without the millstone of funding ground improvements and the shortfall of income that we've already sold, it would be difficult to go full time. With it? IMO, it will be impossible.

And all that is said without considering the playing point of view either. If you're a good part time player in the conference earning £400 a week, and you're coupling that with a job paying £400 a week for example, you aren't going to go full time for £500 a week. Going full time I reckon would decimate our squad because I very much doubt we'd be able to cover whatever we're paying a player plus his day job wage.

If it turns out that we think a good proportion of our squad can play in the conference when the time comes, it is imperative to keep them together, and that might mean part time for their benefit as well as ours as a club. The last thing you need is a major rebuilding job with not a great full time budget. Kids and has beens? No, we've done that many times in the past - I'll keep our current crop instead.

I honestly think that anyone who thinks that we'll just turn full time as easy as that, without considering the short and medium term handicaps, is MENTAL.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm prepared for our club to remain part time for years to come, if need be. Some people may not like that to happen, but I think they're going to have to lump it.

Darlo fans need to prepare for the new reality of long term part time football, until the time where we either pull a major (no strings) backer out of the fire, or where we miraculously get into the football league.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 03, 2016 8:42 am

Quakerz wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:These are exciting times for a number of our players. Just think .... they could be one promotion away from full time football - with Darlo!

One season away perhaps.
I'm one million percent certain that when we get to the conference Premier that we will not be able to afford full time football.

Think about it...

Clubs like Chester who climbed the leagues stayed part time, because they simply couldn't afford to be full time. During their rise they had no debt to pay off, nor did they need to fund a new ground, so they should have been a lot wealthier than we will be.

Also, we've sold a proportion of our next 5 years income in advance. While we are playing below conference national level and the wage bill is at a lower level, obviously the increase in gates and sponsorship from playing back at home will plug the 5 year ST gap - but once we are in the conference national and the part time wages and travel jumps to the next level, then I think we'll find it hard (though not impossible) to exist at that level even as a part time team.

Just looking at recent accounts and guessing the increases in turnover from climbing the leagues and charging more, I find it hard to comprehend how any club without a sugar daddy can possibly have a decent full time budget on gates of less than 3,000. OK in the league you can, but league clubs get hundreds of thousands of pounds of league + tv money as well.

Conference clubs get next to fuck all.

So even without the millstone of funding ground improvements and the shortfall of income that we've already sold, it would be difficult to go full time. With it? IMO, it will be impossible.

And all that is said without considering the playing point of view either. If you're a good part time player in the conference earning £400 a week, and you're coupling that with a job paying £400 a week for example, you aren't going to go full time for £500 a week. Going full time I reckon would decimate our squad because I very much doubt we'd be able to cover whatever we're paying a player plus his day job wage.

If it turns out that we think a good proportion of our squad can play in the conference when the time comes, it is imperative to keep them together, and that might mean part time for their benefit as well as ours as a club. The last thing you need is a major rebuilding job with not a great full time budget. Kids and has beens? No, we've done that many times in the past - I'll keep our current crop instead.

I honestly think that anyone who thinks that we'll just turn full time as easy as that, without considering the short and medium term handicaps, is MENTAL.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm prepared for our club to remain part time for years to come, if need be. Some people may not like that to happen, but I think they're going to have to lump it.

Darlo fans need to prepare for the new reality of long term part time football, until the time where we either pull a major (no strings) backer out of the fire, or where we miraculously get into the football league.
And to be honest, where is the problem in that?

The football this squad has been playing and the commitment they've shown is as good as most we've had in the last couple of decades.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 03, 2016 9:11 am

Exactly!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:57 am

Spyman wrote:I guess there becomes a difference in fitness and possibly how the team plays together if they are full time. Training 4 or 5 days a week rather than 1 or 2. How much difference this makes I don't know.
I think if you could turn out current squad full time then you clearly get a benefit and undeniably it makes a difference.

The play off I am calling out is the one Quakerz mentions full time kids and has beens v part time but better quality player.

How much does fitness and organisation make up for superior ability? That said there is soon to be a play off for many players.

I would expect at conference level of part time is more akin to semi-professional. I think some players may be dropping shifts, changing their working patterns permanently to accommodate more football.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 03, 2016 10:54 am

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:I guess there becomes a difference in fitness and possibly how the team plays together if they are full time. Training 4 or 5 days a week rather than 1 or 2. How much difference this makes I don't know.
I think if you could turn out current squad full time then you clearly get a benefit and undeniably it makes a difference.

The play off I am calling out is the one Quakerz mentions full time kids and has beens v part time but better quality player.

How much does fitness and organisation make up for superior ability? That said there is soon to be a play off for many players.

I would expect at conference level of part time is more akin to semi-professional. I think some players may be dropping shifts, changing their working patterns permanently to accommodate more football.
Look at the records of players we took from the part-time scene when we were a full-time club.

Kirk Jackson, Adam Marsh, James Walshaw. All pulled up trees as part-timers but struggled massively as full-time players.

I'm not saying that's a hard and fast rule, as you only have to look at the Jamie Vardy's of this world - but there's no guarantee that taking a good part-timer and giving him more time to train will turn him into a better player.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue May 03, 2016 10:56 am

Glad to see these lads being rewarded and that they form a nucleus around which we can build the club by adding young academy players into the mix. Hopefully, some of the young ones will benefit and mature into players worthy of a full-time career at a league club, attracting transfer fees as per Dan Burn thus ensuring the future of the club in the long-term. To be realistic, we should not expect another sensational promotion next season, or even for the next couple of years, but hope for stabilisation and consolidation at Blackwell Meadows. Mind, we can always look to Leicester City, Swansea and for those with longer memories Northampton and Wimbledon for inspiration......

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 03, 2016 11:17 am

I don't expect promotion next season but you can guarantee Gray will be targetting it. I didn't expect promotion this year, top 8 would have done and sneaking in to the playoffs would have been amazing but to actually win the league was above and beyond.

Agree with others in regards to changing this club from part-time to full-time, I just struggle to see this happening under the current structure and I am more than comfortable with this.

I don't see us making large sums from players to be honest, it would be good to do this but I just can't see us doing it often enough.