Baxter and Curtis

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Baxter and Curtis

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 13, 2016 3:23 pm

We're in for them according to the Chronicle. Chandler to Spennymoor:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/fo ... e-11328749
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Re: Baxter and Curtis

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Both would probably be good signings from what I remember of them.

Interesting that we asked about the other Turnbull - shows Gray wants another midfielder. If Chandler does end up at Spennymoor (which would be a bit of a surprise for me), then I wonder if we are in for Ramshaw as well. Unless of course Nightingale was that midfielder!

I love transfer speculation. And now we are back higher up the pyramid, we can speculate with some of the more well known names in the region (excl. the big 3 obviously).

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri May 13, 2016 5:05 pm

A player would only pick Spenny over Darlo because of wages - no disrespect intended to Spenny.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 13, 2016 5:14 pm

If it's more money he wants, surely he'd go to South Shields?

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri May 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Quakerz wrote:A player would only pick Spenny over Darlo because of wages - no disrespect intended to Spenny.
Thought I read somewhere that his best mate is Ian Watson...That might have something to do with it.
Good luck to the lad wherever he goes..Deserved MOM at the wembley FA Trophy in 2011.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri May 13, 2016 9:20 pm

My opinion wrote:
Quakerz wrote:A player would only pick Spenny over Darlo because of wages - no disrespect intended to Spenny.
Thought I read somewhere that his best mate is Ian Watson...That might have something to do with it.
Good luck to the lad wherever he goes..Deserved MOM at the wembley FA Trophy in 2011.
You would think Chandler would be one player who was most wary of going to a club bankrolled by one man without the support to keep things going if that person decides to do a runner.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 14, 2016 6:54 am

I reckon gray has spoken to at least 12 players with the intention of signing 4/5

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 14, 2016 8:00 am

D_F_C wrote:I reckon gray has spoken to at least 12 players with the intention of signing 4/5
A further 4 or 5 further additions to the signings we have already made?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:26 am

It would be quite dissapointing if Chandler decided to play with his mates at Spennymoor rather than us. With all due respect to Spennymoor their ceiling is probably the Conference North on crowds of 400 whereas I believe we have the potential to reach the Conference National on gates of 2,000+.

I do think that we need to look at Ramshaw with Stephen Turnbull turning us down and possibly Chandler also.

James Curtis would be a good signing from what I've seen, and another leader to go alongside players like Brown, Burgess and Turnbull.

Craig Baxter would be an interesting one as you would question where that would leave Hunter, 2nd choice right-back and possibly 3rd/4th choice centre back.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat May 14, 2016 9:46 am

Do we need a CB who will be 35 by the end of the season?

Also how many central midfielders do we need? Surely if we sign another one we have to move one on.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 14, 2016 10:19 am

Robbie Painter wrote:Do we need a CB who will be 35 by the end of the season?

Also how many central midfielders do we need? Surely if we sign another one we have to move one on.
And moreover if we signed Curtis, he'd either be dropping a division to sit on the bench, or we'd be breaking up the successful Brown/Burgess centre back pairing, which itself would be a risky move.

There'd be more logic in moving for Baxter, as he's a natural full back, whereas I don't think Hunter is, although he did fantastically when moved there this season.

Unless there are any more departures, Gray is going to have quite a few selection dilemmas next season.

You can't fit Thompson, Mitchell, Nightingale and Wearmouth into the same team, but all were first teamers last season.

Jordan Watson was first choice at Blyth, but would you really drop Galbraith?

And if Gray is after another CM, like you say Robbie, where would he fit in? It would be hard on Portas and Scott if they had to make way after a good previous season.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 14, 2016 10:51 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
D_F_C wrote:I reckon gray has spoken to at least 12 players with the intention of signing 4/5
A further 4 or 5 further additions to the signings we have already made?
maybe 2/3 to the 3 we've already made. Defo a keeper and a striker. Hopefully either Chandler or Ramshaw to add

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 14, 2016 11:51 am

Would rather have Ramshaw than Chandler.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 14, 2016 1:26 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:It would be quite dissapointing if Chandler decided to play with his mates at Spennymoor rather than us. With all due respect to Spennymoor their ceiling is probably the Conference North on crowds of 400 whereas I believe we have the potential to reach the Conference National on gates of 2,000+.

I do think that we need to look at Ramshaw with Stephen Turnbull turning us down and possibly Chandler also.

James Curtis would be a good signing from what I've seen, and another leader to go alongside players like Brown, Burgess and Turnbull.

Craig Baxter would be an interesting one as you would question where that would leave Hunter, 2nd choice right-back and possibly 3rd/4th choice centre back.
I've just read an article about ste turnbull and he states who he spoke to. No mention of darlo

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Sat May 14, 2016 2:15 pm

I heard from a friend of a friend Tom Craddock had been approached. However he is reputedly on good money at Guisley, and also coaching at Boro. Just another name through into the mix

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 14, 2016 4:10 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:It would be quite dissapointing if Chandler decided to play with his mates at Spennymoor rather than us. With all due respect to Spennymoor their ceiling is probably the Conference North on crowds of 400 whereas I believe we have the potential to reach the Conference National on gates of 2,000+.

I've just read an article about ste turnbull and he states who he spoke to. No mention of darlo
But you're not going to post a link to the article or add any more details to your statement....

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 14, 2016 5:23 pm

For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
D_F_C wrote:

But you're not going to post a link to the article or add any more details to your statement....
No. I don't need to justify everything I say.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat May 14, 2016 8:31 pm

I cannot see us signing both Baxter and Curtis.

We have to bear in mind that we'll speak to many, many players to assess the full range of options before proceeding with any, if at all.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 14, 2016 8:48 pm

D_F_C wrote: No. I don't need to justify everything I say.
Crikey, talk about being overly defensive. I wasn't having a go.

I was merely suggesting you might like to link to where you'd read that, as it would be of interest to other fans.

Lighten up will you.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat May 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Beano wrote:I cannot see us signing both Baxter and Curtis.
Are they mortal enemies???!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
D_F_C wrote: No. I don't need to justify everything I say.
Crikey, talk about being overly defensive. I wasn't having a go.

I was merely suggesting you might like to link to where you'd read that, as it would be of interest to other fans.

Lighten up will you.
Ok...I was on my phone and couldn't switch the link over

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Do we need a CB who will be 35 by the end of the season?

Gray brought in White who was 38 before the end of the season (13/14) and he did very well in the NPLD1N in both seasons, albeit I accept that this was a lower standard than the Conference North, but then again you could say that Curtis is 3 years younger.

If Gray feels as though Curtis can improve us then I'm all for it. He has significant experience of the level above, and the one we're going in to. I don't have a problem starting with the Brown/Burgess partnership next season but if there's an opportunity to improve the team then Gray will be interested, as we've seen before.

Centre midfield is an interesting one as we are well covered with Turnbull, Scott, Portas and Nowakowski, however two players in Ramshaw and Chandler (who both have experience in the league above) have become available. We all know that Gray has spoken to Chandler so Gray is looking to improve there. But yes, you would have to say that one would probably have to move on should we bring in a centre midfielder.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:22 pm

D_F_C wrote:

It was mentioned in the Chronicle that we did, but yes no mention of us on Blyth's website (only South Shields and Spennymoor) so maybe we didn't.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun May 15, 2016 4:35 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Beano wrote:I cannot see us signing both Baxter and Curtis.
Are they mortal enemies???!
For similar reasons as Darlofan97 outlines:
Darlofan97 wrote:Craig Baxter would be an interesting one as you would question where that would leave Hunter, 2nd choice right-back and possibly 3rd/4th choice centre back.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun May 15, 2016 5:22 pm

IMO if Hunter is not playing RB then he's 1st choice CB. No way 3/4 IMO.

Don't think we will sign Baxter but heard we are in for Marrs again.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun May 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Chris Hunter has probably made the right back spot his own for next seasons league and maybe the one above if we were to get there.We saw Marrs for one game and while he did look the part,Hunter has been consistently good all season and will take a lot of shifting.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun May 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Every time I've seen Curtis he's been awful.

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Hunter needs to be centre back for his pace IMO.Noticed with Brown and Burgess the lack of pace caught us out a few times last season.Not saying they are bad defenders. Marrs would be an excellent replacement.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 pm

windyforce4 wrote:Hunter needs to be centre back for his pace IMO.Noticed with Brown and Burgess the lack of pace caught us out a few times last season.Not saying they are bad defenders. Marrs would be an excellent replacement.
So who do you pick from Hunter, Burgess & Brown, if Marrs plays at right back? It would be rough on Burgess or Brown if either of them had to give up their place to Hunter.