blackwell meadows work !!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

coles
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: blackwell meadows work !!

Post by coles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:06 am

davidcurrieclass wrote:I wont believe it till actually happens, we've had statements like this for about the last 2 years. To be honest I'm dispointed in this news as that means we will never get in the football league. Before anyone jumps in I'm not saying we have any divine right to be a league club and that we would get the 2 promotions for the league. BUT being at Blackwell Means we will never ever get in the football league unless some how a few million quid is magically produced to make it a 5000 capacity stadium that actually looks like a ground
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you for real, I cant believe given all this club has been through that a fan of this club has come out and said this. How can you be disappointed about our return home. In Jan 2012 if someone had offered us our current situaton we would have snapped their hand off. Now you want to whine on about getting into the football league because of a lack of funds to build a 5k stadium. I have the answer why not get a rich business man to take over the club declare he will take us to the promised land, spend a fortune on building a nice new state of the art stadium and lend us shed loads of cash in the form of business loans to keep the club running oh hang on ....................

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:30 am

davidcurrieclass wrote:I wont believe it till actually happens, we've had statements like this for about the last 2 years. To be honest I'm dispointed in this news as that means we will never get in the football league. Before anyone jumps in I'm not saying we have any divine right to be a league club and that we would get the 2 promotions for the league. BUT being at Blackwell Means we will never ever get in the football league unless some how a few million quid is magically produced to make it a 5000 capacity stadium that actually looks like a ground
A complete pea brain, total idiot, for gods sake keep off this message board and get on with your homework.Unbielievable.!!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:57 am

davidcurrieclass - that's utterly embarrassing and childish.

Rather than admitting you were wrong, you're trying to spin the statement to claim you're right.

We all know it'll take further investment to make BM up to Football League standard, but it's one step at a time. First stage is to get BM to National League North standard by March at the very latest.

To say we'll never get into the Football League ever again is wholly irrational and baseless. You don't know how much it'd cost, none of us do.

And what's your alternative? You can't whinge about BM and not say what you'd do differently. The only alternatives are to find another site in the town and build up from scratch, which would cost even more than BM. Or to move in at the Arena, with all the problems that would bring.

It's sad and immature that you'd rather pour scorn on the entire BM project than admit you were wrong in the first place, or suggest an alternative. It seems you'd rather see the whole project fail just so you can say you're right.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:24 am

Utterly embarrassing. "Looks like a ground" what exactly do you think we are building. There will be plenty of room for further development as and when we need it.

I am not expecting us to be knocking on the Conference door for a number of years yet nm football league.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:32 am

lo36789 wrote:There will be plenty of room for further development as and when we need it.
As long as the water main doesnt get in the way of course.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:53 am

If football league is what you want, may I suggest you go and watch the poolies.
You won't be missed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:15 pm

loan_star wrote:
lo36789 wrote:There will be plenty of room for further development as and when we need it.
As long as the water main doesnt get in the way of course.
Ultimately for the planners to work out but there are undeveloped portions of the ground particularly around the south corner.

If you can't go long ways you go backwards.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:43 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
A complete pea brain, total idiot, for gods sake keep off this message board and get on with your homework.Unbielievable.!!
not sure about homework. with a user name containing one of our best players of all time, it suggests someone who more likely in their 40's. If so, this persons attitude comes across as immature.

there are always people who like to moan - but never either offer any credible alternate - or in our case, contact THEIR club and offer their time and resource to help.

as people have said, given we were on our knees only a few years ago, it's remarkable where are where we are now.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:50 pm

I think there is plenty of room to take BM up to a 5000 capacity ground dont eger really see us needing much more. It will be done gradually as the funds become available, if all is right we will have 3000 capacity by no later than march next year.
I think one of the biggest challenges and opportunities would be developing the clubhouse side of the ground in the future. And Just think adding a small HP style terrace behind one of the goals (pushed over to one side because of the pipe) would easily add another 500-600 to capacity
But that's a long way off yet. Just delighted with the hard work of parties on three sides to get this Deal done and hopefully we.can.move forwards quickly towards a return to town. The opportunitis are there for big crowds this season especially with FC united and Halifax home on bank holidays. We need to make sure our infrastructure is in place to take advantage.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:54 pm

The magnificent effort put in by people who run our club must despair reading utter rubbish like this...

Four years ago we were almost extinct.... to be where we are, 3 promotions in 4 fabulous seasons later ( Ramsbottom semi defeat apart ), debts left by others paid off, a huge amount money raised for the upgrade of BM and on the verge of a return to the town is a bloody miracle.

Why don't you channel some of that 'disappointment' into offering something positive to the club by volunteering in some capacity ?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:47 pm

BM was never meant to be the final solution. It has to be the first step on the ladder, at least it is back in town. In the short term, it is helping keep the rugby club solvent and Quakers some chance to regain some fans, develop a long-term strategy and seek a place of our own. We do have to improve things to meet the increasing league requirements as & when we progress up the ladder. This season we have to consolidate our position in the league and make BM into a venue which gives us a proper home advantage.

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:45 pm

my understanding which could be totally wrong was that BM was a step back into town with the rugby club later letting us build on some land so they could get there pitch back.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:18 pm

My understanding (which could be completely incorrect) is that BM is the final solution (for lack of a better term!). Why would we be spending £100,000s+ to then move somewhere else on the same plot of land or elsewhere is the town? It would be a massive waste of time and money. Also once we are back in the town any leverage we would have to get another plot of land would cease to exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Trike1 wrote:my understanding which could be totally wrong was that BM was a step back into town with the rugby club later letting us build on some land so they could get there pitch back.
We are all in a state of uncertainty. My understanding is yes it is a means for us to come back into town, but only as tenants with a groundshare agreement for 20 years. We will not be building unless we own some land or have a single lease. We can assist with cash to develop BM and get it up to the standards of the Conference & satisfy FA, but at the end of the agreement, we will need to find another solution. BM is an interim solution & the rugby club are landlords so really they will have the final say as to any improvement

There are a number of rugby pitches which belong to the club, but also a lot of 'spare' Council owned land from South Park down & on both sides of the Skerne and from my knowledge, this used to be a boating lake (many years ago), then a pitch & putt and now is used by dog-walkers. It may not be suitable for any sizeable sports stadium & risk of poor drainage or flooding is too high.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:56 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:My understanding (which could be completely incorrect) is that BM is the final solution (for lack of a better term!). Why would we be spending £100,000s+ to then move somewhere else on the same plot of land or elsewhere is the town? It would be a massive waste of time and money. Also once we are back in the town any leverage we would have to get another plot of land would cease to exist.
the final solution was something entirely different...

Anyway, believe our long term plan is to remain at Blackwell Meadows. I don't think we'll ever have the funds to build from scratch.
jjljks wrote:We will not be building unless we own some land or have a single lease
We are literally about to build.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:28 pm

If the move proves to be beneficial for the rugby club also then I cannot see why the club would be forced out in 20 years time. It would leave the rugby club with the costs of either maintaining what has been built or demolishing it. It would make no sense to them either.

Both clubs should put petty inter sport rivalry aside and work together. It could be a great and sustainable beginning for both clubs. Hopefully the rugby club benefit from improved facilities also and can improve their affairs on the field as I understand they have struggled badly lately.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:02 pm

By March my understanding is that we not only have to have a capacity of 3,000, but must also demonstrate how the ground could be extended for a 4,000 capacity. If we got promoted to the Conference, the equation would be a minimum capacity of 4,000, and demonstrating how you could reach 5,000. MG is always talking of how he wants to get the club back to the football league, so presumably the club and architect have this in their long term plans, otherwise we wouldn't have taken a 20 year lease.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:42 pm

DarloPeGi wrote:
The magnificent effort put in by people who run our club must despair reading utter rubbish like this...

Four years ago we were almost extinct.... to be where we are, 3 promotions in 4 fabulous seasons later ( Ramsbottom semi defeat apart ), debts left by others paid off, a huge amount money raised for the upgrade of BM and on the verge of a return to the town is a bloody miracle.
read any articles by people with no ties to the club and they all agree mate - a bloody miracle
Come of our so called supporters, however.................... :roll: :roll: :roll:

davidcurrieclass

Post by davidcurrieclass » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Is no one allowed to have an oppinion on this forum before the keyboard warriors jump on and go completely over the top? By the way I'm 41 and have I slated the club or its volunteers etc. I've purely stated that I dont see a long term future in Blackwell Meadows, yep its great to be back in darlo but we have to have some sense of reality for the future. I've been consistent in this oppinion and you can see on The Tin Shed group my views on the whole Blackwell Meadows move, look for comments posts by myself Paul Emerson and you will see what Ive said and thankfully on their you dont get people going over the top when someone dares to disagree.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:00 pm

Do you know for a fact though that BM can't be upgraded to 5,000? It seems very unlikely we'd move there in the first place if that were the case?

coles

Post by coles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Speaking from experience I can honestly say that Blackwell Meadows was our only option. It served a purpose right now and has options to build on the land 3G Astro pitches or our own stadium should we wish to do that however I am sure in time the current solution will feel like home. It would be tragic to build this ground then start again in the corner.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:41 pm

davidcurrieclass wrote:Is no one allowed to have an oppinion on this forum before the keyboard warriors jump on and go completely over the top? By the way I'm 41 and have I slated the club or its volunteers etc. I've purely stated that I dont see a long term future in Blackwell Meadows, yep its great to be back in darlo but we have to have some sense of reality for the future. I've been consistent in this oppinion and you can see on The Tin Shed group my views on the whole Blackwell Meadows move, look for comments posts by myself Paul Emerson and you will see what Ive said and thankfully on their you dont get people going over the top when someone dares to disagree.
You're behaving like a coward. You've stated a point definitively, been proved wrong and then refused to admit being wrong while trying to play the victim. Try engaging with other people's points rather than going all defensive.

And you've still not stated your alternative. If you wouldn't move us back to Blackwell Meadows where else would you go?

As you've stated you don't think we'll ever raise the money to fully develop BM, then clearly your alternative can't be to find another site and build from scratch. After all, that would take far more money than building up BM, where at least there's some infrastructure in place.

So the only alternative that can possibly fit into your argument is to move back to the Arena which as we all know, has its own major issues.

There is no perfect option, but for you to sit there sniping while not forwarding your own argument is pathetic.

You're entitled to have an opinion, and you're entitled to state it. But when people question it, and when your opinion turns out to be wrong, don't throw your toys out of the pram. Engage with the points and base your argument on more than supposition.

It strikes me this defensive attitude is purely a means to avoid admitting you were wrong.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:03 pm

davidcurrieclass wrote:Is no one allowed to have an oppinion on this forum before the keyboard warriors jump on and go completely over the top? By the way I'm 41 and have I slated the club or its volunteers etc. I've purely stated that I dont see a long term future in Blackwell Meadows, yep its great to be back in darlo but we have to have some sense of reality for the future. I've been consistent in this oppinion and you can see on The Tin Shed group my views on the whole Blackwell Meadows move, look for comments posts by myself Paul Emerson and you will see what Ive said and thankfully on their you dont get people going over the top when someone dares to disagree.
Without moving back to Darlo (BM) though the club can't continue at the same level as a fan owned club in Bishop. It's a step we have to take at this stage of the clubs development, being out of Darlington last season we over spent by 50k last year (thats with moving the 500 club money back in for the year) imagine removing 50k from our current costs without damaging the team.

Whether we stay at BM longer term is open to discussion but it's the nest and probably only real option on the table to keep the club progressing and back in Darlington.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
davidcurrieclass wrote:Is no one allowed to have an oppinion on this forum before the keyboard warriors jump on and go completely over the top? By the way I'm 41 and have I slated the club or its volunteers etc. I've purely stated that I dont see a long term future in Blackwell Meadows, yep its great to be back in darlo but we have to have some sense of reality for the future. I've been consistent in this oppinion and you can see on The Tin Shed group my views on the whole Blackwell Meadows move, look for comments posts by myself Paul Emerson and you will see what Ive said and thankfully on their you dont get people going over the top when someone dares to disagree.[/quote

And you've still not stated your alternative. If you wouldn't move us back to Blackwell Meadows where else would you go?
Bingo darlogramps.

Like I said, some people like to have a moan but forget to offer a creditable alternate.

davidcurrieclass

Post by davidcurrieclass » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:06 pm

I'll be wrong when we actually play a game at Blackwell! lets not get carried away. My preferred option is that the club and Mowden and the council should be working together to make something out of the arena for a long term future. I can assure you I'm not seeking 'victim' status.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:12 pm

Im no keyboard warrior - just cant stand the negativity of some towards a team who were dead and buried, came back from the brink and achieved in the last few years miracles - so what if a stadium isnt great as long as we can achieve the capacity required(and that will be possible) - however it turns out it will have more character and atmosphere than the Arena

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:13 am

Undercovered wrote: Oh and by the way, you're going to be disappointed re BM very soon.
I'm sure ....

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:05 pm

As we are well behind with getting paperwork sorted, and me having a construction background I think fans need to be realistic about the timescales for the move into Blackwell meadow,we must have moved the timescale to around the end of the year.which I think is reasonable . This Will allow for construction completion, before we move in. This can onlybe a good thing .for the club and fans.maybe I,m wrong but that is what I believe at the present time..

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:35 pm

The Arena is a deadweight that would drag the club under once more.

Beyond knocking half of it down (which would be expensive in itself) I don't see how it can ever be sustainable. It will drag Mowden Park under eventually.

No one wants to watch games in a cavernous, empty bowl.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:01 pm

H1987 wrote:The Arena is a deadweight that would drag the club under once more.

Beyond knocking half of it down (which would be expensive in itself) I don't see how it can ever be sustainable. It will drag Mowden Park under eventually.

No one wants to watch games in a cavernous, empty bowl.
Actually I dont care, I was happy enough at the Arena, and would happily watch again.

I dont care if 500, 1000, 5000, or 10000 other people are there watching with me, as I watch the players.

I fully understand though that it might not be great for the players. (I'd be interested in their opinion of the 2 friendlies though)