Missing "Ship Of Fools" post

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shawry
Team Supported: Darlington

Missing "Ship Of Fools" post

Post by shawry » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Where has this gone?

mikkyx
Site Admin

Re: Missing "Ship Of Fools" post

Post by mikkyx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:56 pm

It was reported as libellous, and has therefore been archived for review.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:29 pm

Best thing for it,

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:37 am

I always miss the best posts - I need to spend more time on here.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:13 pm

It was one of those that you hoped they'd had far to much ale and went on a rant. Because if someone made that sober we all need to worry for them as a person

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:57 pm

I read it, and it didn't strike me as an ale driven rant.

Someone was expressing his point of view, and to remove it sets a dangerous precedent :thumbdown:

He put down his opinion and put his name to it - it might have been over strong and controversial but IMO to censor it is wrong.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Brief overview of what was said?

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Be a shame if posts were taken down from here purely because one person took offence to it. From what I read of it, it was an acceptable opinion being made by someone who is entitled to do just that, nothing libellous in there from what I seen. In fact most of if I reckon a good few people would of agreed with. Again though, opinions clearly differ, it'd be a boring world if we all had the same one.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:53 pm

We've just got to tread carefully, it's fine to have an opinion but we need to remember that the small number of people who are running the club are doing so for free in their spare time. We're light on skilled people wanting to do those roles as it is, we don't need to risk alienating them, especially when those who are throwing things around aren't willing to step up to the mark themselves.

Radar

Post by Radar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:01 pm

It was a passionate post, with a clear concern for the shenanigans concerning Blackwell Meadows. It was a little extreme in regards to language used but there was no libellous comments from what I read, so to take the post off is wrong. A lot of what was said, is only what a lot of us are thinking.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:15 pm

I think the 'pack of lies fed to the fans' was the only part I really felt uncomfortable with. If this was replaced with 'information that quickly became outdated' it would probably been a whole lot more acceptable.

The sentiment of the post I could understand, and had no problem with him expressing, even with the strong language.

I am conscious that we seem to fall back on the whole "we are run by a small band of volunteers - step up if you have a problem with it" excuse/response/argument.

If we take the date thing, we were sold season tickets a couple years back stating back by Xmas that season (iirc), we didn't learn our lesson, we really shouldnt have been giving dates, we should have just said we will be at BM some time during the coming season, we all know that has to happen, and if we aren't its going pear shaped in a big way anyway, but it would have lessened the "why hasn't work started yet" brigade.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:31 pm

shawry wrote:
I am conscious that we seem to fall back on the whole "we are run by a small band of volunteers - step up if you have a problem with it" excuse/response/argument.
That's because it's an indisputable fact, not an excuse.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:38 pm

divas wrote:
shawry wrote:
That's because it's an indisputable fact, not an excuse.
Yes it is a fact, but giving dates as I stated after really doesn't matter when you are part time, full time or a volunteer doing 1 hour a month.

And Martin Gray fell into the same trap. There's one thing trying to give some hope to fans, but neither him nor the board learnt from the last time they built up expectation.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:50 pm

My point is - what's the alternative?

footifan

Post by footifan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Why should the club not fall back on the notion of being run by volunteers in their spare time?
We are, I agree the information could have perhaps been put out earlier, but maybe the people involved did not know themselves.
There are some annoying ***** on here & in life that want to snipe about everything, even when things are going well... These are the people generally at the back of the school yard fight shouting "go on hit him" but never get their hands dirty.

I have helped a little to the fundraising, I will be flying in at considerable cost in September. I had hoped to see us play at Blackwell Meadow... But these things happen, I will be disappointed but will not go into a pointless rage over it.
Grow up kids... s*** happens :roll:

By the way those that know me, probably owe me a drink & if you do not you should do... :D
You will be able to find me in one of the usual watering holes ;)
I will be over for about 4 weeks & hope to get to all home games & probably most away games too....
Offers of free drinks & rides to games will be appreciated LOL ... PM me or FB & email
Cheers all

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 pm

I'm not saying there's is an alternative. But being a volunteer doesn't mean you can't shoulder some blame if it's warranted, and while I'm happy with how the board and volunteers are handling things, when people raise concerns or criticisms the go to response should not be that we have volunteers running the club.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Radar

Post by Radar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:59 pm

I'd like the club to release a statement which will guarantee (if they can) to having Blackwell Meadows ready for the March deadline. Is that too much to ask?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Radar wrote:I'd like the club to release a statement which will guarantee (if they can) to having Blackwell Meadows ready for the March deadline. Is that too much to ask?
How can they guarantee that? There are all sorts of possible reasons, many of which may be unanticipated and out of the boards control, which could prevent that - even with the best laid plans.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:26 pm

And for what it's worth, I got half way through reading quaker4lifes attention seeking effort at being controversial (it's all he ever does, after all) and got bored.

It may well have been valid in parts but I find it hard to believe it was posted for any reason other than to be intentionally controversial, given the person's track record on here.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Radar

Post by Radar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Spyman wrote:
Radar wrote:I'd like the club to release a statement which will guarantee (if they can) to having Blackwell Meadows ready for the March deadline. Is that too much to ask?
How can they guarantee that? There are all sorts of possible reasons, many of which may be unanticipated and out of the boards control, which could prevent that - even with the best laid plans.

I agree with you in part. But if the club cannot give that guarantee, and it is 8 months longer than the original August date given, then there is obviously going to be people (I for one) thinking the unthinkable.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:24 pm

And we are all entitled to think those things - I'm sure those on the board and involved in the project are thinking them too, and just like you and I, hoping that everything comes together in good time.

DC

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:14 pm

I think what most people are say is that we all intitled to our opinions what ever they are. But when they venture into insulting people who are volunteers working for the club. E.g ship of fools / pack of lies. Its beyond the realm of constructive debate and its just being insulting. End of the day everybody connected to the club and fans read or hear about posts on this board. It would put my back up if id read that post and i was grafting for nowt to help the club.

Thats not to say i think things are going as smoothly as they could, but with volunteers and skilled peeps free time. This what we have to expect. And in all our hearts 4 years ago we'd have taken being where we are now at this moment with out question.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:22 am

So they weren't talking about Erasure?
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

grytters

Post by grytters » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:00 am

Allan Quatermain wrote:I always miss the best posts - I need to spend more time on here.
No you don't...
Bring Back the Quarters

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:30 am

I really hope our fantastic volunteers running OUR club for free either don't read this board or have very thick skins. No issue with people raising concerns in a constructive way. But some I would love to see how they'd get on trying to run the club. We'd probably go t-ts up in months....

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 am

Radar wrote:
Spyman wrote:

I agree with you in part. But if the club cannot give that guarantee, and it is 8 months longer than the original August date given, then there is obviously going to be people (I for one) thinking the unthinkable.
As a compromise could we not have something along the lines of what will happen if it isn't ready... we know the consequence so perhaps just something vague such as we will do X, Y and Z to make sure we are not thrown out of this division? I assume that is the penalty for not having a ground ready for that deadline?

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 am

Maybe I've missed mention of it but is the HP pitch expected to be ready for our first home game ?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:40 am

Volunteers or not, after last years statement of being back in Darlo at some point last season, the last thing they should have done is make a big thing about August bank holiday. Also, when it became bloody obvious that this new date was impossible to meet then they should have said something. Simple as that really.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:58 pm

aveda wrote:Maybe I've missed mention of it but is the HP pitch expected to be ready for our first home game ?
No we'll probably be at Bishop, we won't open the season at BM...

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:24 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
aveda wrote:Maybe I've missed mention of it but is the HP pitch expected to be ready for our first home game ?
No we'll probably be at Bishop, we won't open the season at BM...

I meant the pitch at Bishop, hence HP, not BM :)