Lee Gaskell leaves

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1979
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:44 pm


Darlofan97
Posts: 4372
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:54 pm

Good luck to him. Scored 14 in 37 last season, and gave us a real initial boost when we had a centre-forward crisis at the beginning of last season.

Big call by Gray.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Johnson
Posts: 1260
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:01 pm

He did very well considering the extra travel for him getting to the NE. The competition for striker playing time may have been the last straw for him.

Thanks for all of the great goals!

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Hmmm... I'm going to miss Gask... Geography maybe? Isn't he Mancunian? Or somewhere near there? Will always remember that curler against Matlock, I was right behind it as it flew in the top corner.

Thanks for everything Gask!!!

Undercovered
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:35 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Undercovered » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:26 pm

Think it's as simple as after recruiting Beck we had to let one go. I'd rather have seen Hardy leave before Gaskell
Image

Nigel Batches Beard
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:03 pm

big fan of Lee, a real shame.................. good luck

quakerste
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by quakerste » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Good luck to the lad scored some excellent and important goals for us last season.

poppyfield
Posts: 1729
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by poppyfield » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Undercovered wrote:Think it's as simple as after recruiting Beck we had to let one go. I'd rather have seen Hardy leave before Gaskell
Shame I wished he could of stayed he is a quality player, don't agree with you about Hardy, it should of been Purewal, love the lad, but having missed last season its going to be a big step up for him.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Emdubya
Posts: 790
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Emdubya » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Suspect it won't be the last departure with the size of the current squad.Good luck to him .
And can we please stop with the "should have been him,wish it was the other" shite.ALL players in the squad deserve the chance to show what they've got before anybody wants them out.

bga
Posts: 1392
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by bga » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Good luck to him. Scored 14 in 37 last season, and gave us a real initial boost when we had a centre-forward crisis at the beginning of last season.

Big call by Gray.
Spot on there about MG! Am I the only one worried now we have lost two proven goalscorers in the close season to be replaced by a player (Beck) it doesn't seem MG has even seen play (MG was quoted at the time saying we had heard good reports of him?) and who appears raw and unproven? I have not seen enough of Hardy to make any valid comment and we don't know where Wearmouth will play when (if) he is eventually fit. Am looking forward to seeing how we play tomorrow!

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:23 pm

Yes - but let's get it right. I wish he could have stayed.

Not of.

Darlofart
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Darlofart » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:24 pm

Im slightly worried about letting Gaskell go, as he's a match winner and gives us something the others don't. I also thought Purewal may have gone before Gaskell but Gray hasn't got much wrong so far. Roll on Altrincham.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng hnnnnnnnnnnnnng hnnnnnnnnnng prrrrip.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12890
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Gaskell will be a big miss. He always had the potential to get a winner from nowhere. Thanks for the memories Lee.

Darl-Zero
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Cheshire

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Darl-Zero » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Great footwork and trickery.
Best of luck Gas!

Undercovered
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:35 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Undercovered » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Emdubya wrote:Suspect it won't be the last departure with the size of the current squad.Good luck to him .
And can we please stop with the "should have been him,wish it was the other" shite.ALL players in the squad deserve the chance to show what they've got before anybody wants them out.

Bollocks, if you can have a debate about players what's the point
Image

Darlofan97
Posts: 4372
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:25 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Undercovered wrote:Think it's as simple as after recruiting Beck we had to let one go. I'd rather have seen Hardy leave before Gaskell
Shame I wished he could of stayed he is a quality player, don't agree with you about Hardy, it should of been Purewal, love the lad, but having missed last season its going to be a big step up for him.
People on here need to give Purewal a chance to prove himself before saying we should let him go.

The lad scored 21 in his first season in the Evo-Stik (only bettered by Thompson), and then got off to an unbelievable start the next season by scoring 13 in 19 before he got injured. Recovered after a horrible injury with a couple of set-backs by scoring 3 in 7 for Harrogate RA and then played a part for us last season.

OK he isn't proven at Conference North level, or really at NPL level you could argue, but Gray clearly rates him as he's one of the four forwards left at the club, and that's good enough for me.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11858
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Purewal has been written off by a section of our support time and time again bit he's always proved them wrong and when fit has quite rightly been one of the first names on the team sheet up to now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 3103
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
poppyfield wrote:
Undercovered wrote:Think it's as simple as after recruiting Beck we had to let one go. I'd rather have seen Hardy leave before Gaskell
Shame I wished he could of stayed he is a quality player, don't agree with you about Hardy, it should of been Purewal, love the lad, but having missed last season its going to be a big step up for him.
People on here need to give Purewal a chance to prove himself before saying we should let him go.

The lad scored 21 in his first season in the Evo-Stik (only bettered by Thompson), and then got off to an unbelievable start the next season by scoring 13 in 19 before he got injured. Recovered after a horrible injury with a couple of set-backs by scoring 3 in 7 for Harrogate RA and then played a part for us last season.

OK he isn't proven at Conference North level, or really at NPL level you could argue, but Gray clearly rates him as he's one of the four forwards left at the club, and that's good enough for me.
I remember a couple of seasons ago he were slated then came good again... Form is temporary class is permanent

Darlofan97
Posts: 4372
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:37 pm

bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Good luck to him. Scored 14 in 37 last season, and gave us a real initial boost when we had a centre-forward crisis at the beginning of last season.

Big call by Gray.
Spot on there about MG! Am I the only one worried now we have lost two proven goalscorers in the close season to be replaced by a player (Beck) it doesn't seem MG has even seen play (MG was quoted at the time saying we had heard good reports of him?) and who appears raw and unproven? I have not seen enough of Hardy to make any valid comment and we don't know where Wearmouth will play when (if) he is eventually fit. Am looking forward to seeing how we play tomorrow!
Gaskell and Armstrong scored goals for us in the Northern Premier League, not the Conference North.

Gaskell has never played higher than the NPL, and Armstrong last played in the Conference North when he 28 for Blyth and he scored 7 in 37. He's now 33.

I wouldn't really call it us losing 2 proven goalscorers (for this level). As far as I remember Armstrong didn't contribute as many as Cartman last season and Gaskell didn't score from mid-February onwards. I'm not overly concerned as we have Beck, Cartman, Purewal & Hardy ready to stake a claim for this season.

Have some faith, there's a reason why Gray has gone with those 4 aforementioned.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4372
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:40 pm

Spyman wrote:Purewal has been written off by a section of our support time and time again bit he's always proved them wrong and when fit has quite rightly been one of the first names on the team sheet up to now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Agreed - his record speaks for itself.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do this season.

dickdarlington
Posts: 1475
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by dickdarlington » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:48 pm

Bit surprised as he'd just signed a contract. But not upset. As I've said before. As much of a talent he undoubtably is, he doesn't graft enough. And one thing Sir Martin demands is a shift from his players. I'm more upset about Army. I think circumstance and pride affected that outcome. Hopefully we've got a ready made replacement.

jjljks
Posts: 1891
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by jjljks » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:53 am

At least he hasn't gone to Curzon Ashton! Sorry to see him leave, he scored some vital goals for us last season and is a class player. Thanks for doing all that travelling for us last season and best of luck for the coming one (mind, hope you don't play against us in any Cup!) :wave:

MikeinBlack2
Posts: 1617
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton-on-Tees

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:31 am

He left due to financial reasons - Darlo can't afford to have so many strikers.

http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... gton_exit/
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Darlogramps
Posts: 5066
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:25 am

Spyman wrote:Purewal has been written off by a section of our support time and time again bit he's always proved them wrong and when fit has quite rightly been one of the first names on the team sheet up to now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep, completely agree. And once again it's because he isn't a physical targetman, nor does he run around like a headless chicken.

Purewal's finishing can be suspect but he rarely lets the club down in his performances.

As for Gaskell, we all knew after signing Gillies and Beck that at least one player would leave. As someone who's been critical about the club's management of the playing budget, it's at least reassuring to see the club recognising there is a limit to the squad numbers we can carry.

Gaskell started very well but tailed off in the final few months, mainly because it looked like he was carrying an injury. Given the travelling for him, perhaps it's not a major surprise Gaskell has been the one to make way.

I suspect once the season starts there'll be one or two more departures.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

joejaques
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by joejaques » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Thanks for the memories, Lee, and good luck with your new club (except if you come up against us). :roll:
Image

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11858
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Spyman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:41 pm

And there's Purewal in the starting line up for the first game of the season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12890
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Gaskell leaves

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:02 pm

I'd hope Hardy and Purewal will kick on from here and stake their claims for first team action.

Post Reply