Curzon Ashton v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curzon Ashton v Darlo Match Thread

Post by AndyPark » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Fantastic win; great start to the season.

Onto Gloucester now, well Cheltenham.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:We needed a 2 goal win to go top.

No, we needed to score 2 goals and win. Which we did!

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:00 pm

Yerp early days but we are top of the league. Great ground out victory

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:05 pm

Gray will be well chuffed with our start to the season. Fantastic effort lads.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:07 pm

I meant to go clear top , not just level which we effectively are.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:13 pm

To go clear top we needed 4 points LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Interesting how Curzon flew ahead of us a couple of years ago but now our paths have crossed again and we've moved ahead of them again. Guess it was always going to happen, but to be where we are, even just for one night, is amazing to see.

JABWootton

Post by JABWootton » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Interesting how Curzon flew ahead of us a couple of years ago but now our paths have crossed again and we've moved ahead of them again. Guess it was always going to happen, but to be where we are, even just for one night, is amazing to see.
Its a marathon not a sprint to get promoted and can only win the game you're involved in. Keeps the confidence high even at this early stage.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:38 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Interesting how Curzon flew ahead of us a couple of years ago but now our paths have crossed again and we've moved ahead of them again. Guess it was always going to happen, but to be where we are, even just for one night, is amazing to see.
They lost Warburton to Sal£ord he was there top scorer

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:18 pm

If it helps I ran darlington fans radio on the internet on my phone. A bit boomy but it worked well.

Rufusuk

Post by Rufusuk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:39 pm

Just back from the game.
Overall, an excellent performance.
To only be 2-0 up, was not a true reflection of our dominance.
But suddenly it was 2-1, Curzon upped a gear, and we had to defend heroically.

How did their guy missed the sitter in the last minute? That would have been an injustice but when you're only 1 up that sometimes happens.

Thought Hardy had another good game...playing much better than last season.
Beck was a constant threat, not helped by the referee who failed to see the countless pushes in his back, before ironic cheers greeted the 1st free kick after 80 minutes.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:50 pm

Game should have been beyond Curzon after half an hour.Fair play they grew into it.

Darlo again seemed poor at winning a second ball as we were at Alty,the gap between defence and midfield at times was huge which I dont think helped.

Fought hard as a team at the end to hold on & earn their luck,cant wait to see the highlights for Curzons late miss.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:45 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Game should have been beyond Curzon after half an hour.Fair play they grew into it.

Darlo again seemed poor at winning a second ball as we were at Alty,the gap between defence and midfield at times was huge which I dont think helped.

Fought hard as a team at the end to hold on & earn their luck,cant wait to see the highlights for Curzons late miss.
I agree a workmanlike but decent performance. Personally I thought Curzon were a decent side and played some nice football. My only concern is once or twice we got caught on the break when our play broke down suggesting some more work on the defence midfield shape. On the whole a really organised performance.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:51 am

Great result, with a lot of positive signs for the season.

Rip-snorting start, with great performances throughout from Brown, Hardy, Beck and delightful left wing crosses from Gillies in what was a ding dong battle.

A dirty tackling Curzon outfit were also pacy and used space well, which often wasn't contested enough by Darlo.

Darlo need a bit of adaptation and movement in midfield to cope with opposition raids and provide some closer support to strikers.

The team may have been a bit under par after Saturday's efforts and knocks, but defended their lead and got a result taking them to the top of the league (!!!!!!!!!).

With a bit more "presence" and "movement" by all when in midfield our good individuals could do very well against the most physical and talented opponents.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:34 am

Well we're top for 24 hours, until tonights games.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 am

I thought that for large parts of the game yesterday we were a cut above Curzon, and the game should have been won and didn't have to be that nervous of a finish.

Even after Curzon made it 2-1, we still had our chances through Purewal, Beck & Gillies.

Hardy looked very good and took his goal well. Other stand-outs for me were Burgess, Gillies and Portas.

Beck caused a lot of problems for Curzon's defence. Unlucky not to score with his header in the first half which brought out a fine save by their 'keeper. Probably should have done better with his chance in the second half but snatched at it. Hold-up play was very good and Curzon's defence just had to resort to pushes and shoves to stop him winning the ball in the air. Looked shattered towards the end but he put in a great shift, especially when we went 4-5-1.

Oh, and people are quick to criticise Jameson when he makes a mistake, so it's only fair he gets credit when deserved - a fine save at the beginning of the second half at 1-0.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:58 am

Jameson was unlucky with the goal. He had it covered but then the ball took a deflection off one of our defenders and put it across goal for their player to score. He has been unlucky not to have a clean sheet in the last two games. Was left exposed for Boston's consolation at the weekend and couldn't do much about last nights.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:03 am

TFDM wrote:Jameson was unlucky with the goal. He had it covered but then the ball took a deflection off one of our defenders and put it across goal for their player to score. He has been unlucky not to have a clean sheet in the last two games. Was left exposed for Boston's consolation at the weekend and couldn't do much about last nights.
Yes - I said at the time that the shot wasn't particularly powerful and Jameson would have collected it. Shame really but I'm sure that the clean sheets will follow soon, I thought that the team defended exceptionally well at certain points last night when Curzon were going for it.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:00 am

Watched the highlights. Gillies and Beck look a really good pair of signings the two of them together look so difficult to defend against.

How do you stop Gillies delivering the ball and how do you stop Beck from winning it!?

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:54 pm

lo36789 wrote:Watched the highlights. Gillies and Beck look a really good pair of signings the two of them together look so difficult to defend against.

How do you stop Gillies delivering the ball and how do you stop Beck from winning it!?
Maybe we'll hear our opposition take on the classic "chant" one of our fans used to shout of "kick him in the head!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:01 pm

But I've got to agree. The technique we now have in midfield is incredible. Thompson, Portas, Turnbull, Gillies. What. A. Line up!! And that's without mentioning our other players who are more than capable!
I'm struggling to recall such a strong midfield within the club in the last 20 years!

Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

bga

Post by bga » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:00 pm

lo36789 wrote:Watched the highlights. Gillies and Beck look a really good pair of signings the two of them together look so difficult to defend against.

...............................if we can teach Beck to then find one of our players or hit the target then we could really be flying! I was at the match, and I am not being critical as he will take time to settle in, there is certainly some raw talent there.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:08 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:But I've got to agree. The technique we now have in midfield is incredible. Thompson, Portas, Turnbull, Gillies. What. A. Line up!! And that's without mentioning our other players who are more than capable!
I'm struggling to recall such a strong midfield within the club in the last 20 years!
Surely the one that took us to the League Two play-offs in 2008 was stronger, given that was two divisions higher.

From memory, you had Mickey Cummins and Jason Kennedy in CM, with Joachim and Wainwright on the wings, with Ravenhill, Keltie and Purdie also fitting in (or something along those lines - doubtless one of my fellow pedants will correct).

And the current midfield hasn't achieved anything yet. They may well do, and I hope they do. But they've only played three games so let's not get carried away.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:55 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:But I've got to agree. The technique we now have in midfield is incredible. Thompson, Portas, Turnbull, Gillies. What. A. Line up!! And that's without mentioning our other players who are more than capable!

Are you kidding?

No disrespect to you, or to the current players who are excellent...at this level (and possibly the next one)...but we had several seasons in the top 8 of League 2 - most of those midfields would piss all over this one.

Back to reality please.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Surely the one that took us to the League Two play-offs in 2008 was stronger, given that was two divisions higher.

From memory, you had Mickey Cummins and Jason Kennedy in CM, with Joachim and Wainwright on the wings, with Ravenhill, Keltie and Purdie also fitting in (or something along those lines - doubtless one of my fellow pedants will correct).

And the current midfield hasn't achieved anything yet. They may well do, and I hope they do. But they've only played three games so let's not get carried away.
I think the following seasons midfield was even stronger as we strengthened with the likes of Burgmeier etc.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:55 pm

My favourite season 99/00 we had a very young Wainwright (on loan), Atkinson, Gray & Neil Heaney which was quality.

Are standards improving though? Are the players technically better, fitter and faster than 17 years ago?

Quite off topic that debate mind!