Darlington v Stockport Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Stockport Match Thread

Post by al_quaker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:59 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Portas had a quiet game yes but so did a few others and to start Nowakoski ahead of him i don't agree with, Tom is class simple as, people expect players on there A game every match...
I certainly don't expect players on their A game every match, and I think Portas is a very good player. I just think Nowakowski deserves a run of games, and I think his style of play might make us more solid in this tougher league. Portas likes to roam around and get forwards - this is often a great attacking threat, but can sometimes leave Turnbull exposed in CM. I'm not sure Nowakowski would roam so much.

If we are playing a 442, with Galbraith at LB as almost another winger, we can sometimes be caught short at the back. 2 CMs who are happy to sit back a bit might help and give us a more balanced team. Just my opinion of course, and MG hasn't done too badly so far...!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:23 pm

I personally don't think the way we are playing suits Portas. I don't think he has licence to get forward when playing alongside Turnbull. In fact, home games, we seem to start matches sitting deep, hence the disconnect between our forwards and the midfield. Whether that's by design or not, i'm not sure. When we did have the ball we tended to lump it long, bypassing Portas altogether. When we started passing to feet more second half, he was taken off.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:38 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:I personally don't think the way we are playing suits Portas. I don't think he has licence to get forward when playing alongside Turnbull. In fact, home games, we seem to start matches sitting deep, hence the disconnect between our forwards and the midfield. Whether that's by design or not, i'm not sure. When we did have the ball we tended to lump it long, bypassing Portas altogether. When we started passing to feet more second half, he was taken off.
I think your right but people don't see that they are so quick to slag people off for having a bad shift.. Let's get behind the lads win together lose together

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Just a few points on last night;

-Jameson really needs to improve on his kicking. To be fair, in the latter stages of the game he sorted this. But their goal came from our free-kick where he played a ball into their defender for an un-marked header, at the other side from where Beck was. His kicking was poor against Kidderminster where he played us back under pressure by either kicking the ball out or not reaching the half way line. It's basics like this that we need to sort, because something so simple could have saved us a goal last night.

-Liam Marrs was outstanding and has been all season.

-Both Nowakowski and Cartman really helped us when they came on. Horses for courses sometimes, but Nowakowski gave us that aerial presence to help deal with Odejayi and also retained possesion really well.

-An excellent crowd there last night of 1,730. To put that into perspective...08/09/2015...Darlington FC 2-1 Ramsbottom United....1,063.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Just a few points on last night;

-Jameson really needs to improve on his kicking. To be fair, in the latter stages of the game he sorted this. But their goal came from our free-kick where he played a ball into their defender for an un-marked header, at the other side from where Beck was. His kicking was poor against Kidderminster where he played us back under pressure by either kicking the ball out or not reaching the half way line. It's basics like this that we need to sort, because something so simple could have saved us a goal last night.
Bit harsh on Jameson given it was Galbraith at fault for the first, not every kick will be perfect - it hardly presented a chance to the opposition. Plus we scored our winner partly due to his long kick to Tommo.

Also against Kidderminster the Bishop wind machine turned on in 2nd half, that's why kicks weren't reaching halfway sometimes.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:

Bit harsh on Jameson given it was Galbraith at fault for the first, not every kick will be perfect - it hardly presented a chance to the opposition. Plus we scored our winner partly due to his long kick to Tommo.

Also against Kidderminster the Bishop wind machine turned on in 2nd half, that's why kicks weren't reaching halfway sometimes.
I really like Jameson, he's a great goalkeeper. Granted Galbraith was at fault for their goal, but the kick was so far off it didn't give either Beck or Hardy a chance to challenge for the ball.

The wind didn't seem that strong against Kidderminster, I was stood behind the goal where the wind was blowing. But even still there was kicking out from the hands skewing over to Marrs/Mitchell and in the 90th minute the ball was sliced straight out from a goal-kick for a throw-in near the Main Stand.

I'm not bashing, as I've said on this post (and many others) I'm a big Jameson fan and I think he's a really good goalkeeper, and would probably go a lot further with full-time coaching. But it's just frustrating to watch us being put under seemingly needless pressure from something that should be relatively simple.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:37 am

Has it ever struck you how often we kick towards the tinshed in the second half of games? Every game this season and I think last season we only kicked towards the tinshed in the first half on two or three occasions. It certainly helps lift the team, when the fans get behind the team in the second half, if we kick towards the tinshed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:18 am

Yes Pete that is quite deliberate. Most teams want to kick towards their own fans in the second half.

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:19 am

-Liam Marrs was outstanding and has been all season.

-Both Nowakowski and Cartman really helped us when they came on. Horses for courses sometimes, but Nowakowski gave us that aerial presence to help deal with Odejayi and also retained possesion really well.

-An excellent crowd there last night of 1,730. To put that into perspective...08/09/2015...Darlington FC 2-1 Ramsbottom United....1,063.
It seems like people are just criticising Jameson for the sake of it, his kick before their goal was central and was about 5 yards from the edge of their box, it was in the air for 7-8 seconds, striker should be able to read it. To criticise the keeper is very harsh.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:45 am

gabbas wrote: It seems like people are just criticising Jameson for the sake of it
Yes, they are. I was thinking that too. They are looking for perfection from a non league, part time, young keeper.

It seems that some people think we can do better which is why they are looking to pick faults. Unfortunately when a few fans have it in for you, it's hard to change their opinion back.

I've always rated Jameson, he's a big unit, and has improved season by season. He will continue to improve and will be good enough for the conference national.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

bga

Post by bga » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:54 am

Quakerz wrote:
gabbas wrote: It seems like people are just criticising Jameson for the sake of it
Yes, they are. I was thinking that too. They are looking for perfection from a non league, part time, young keeper.

It seems that some people think we can do better which is why they are looking to pick faults. Unfortunately when a few fans have it in for you, it's hard to change their opinion back.

I've always rated Jameson, he's a big unit, and has improved season by season. He will continue to improve and will be good enough for the conference national.
I thought Jameson had a good game the other night. However, he got a real verbal bollocking from MG for their goal which I thought was unfair as Galbraith was equally to blame but he escaped unscathed!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:06 pm

the only thing I can think of for Jameson getting a rollicking for their first goal might be lack of communication to Galbraith - to tell him to tw-t the ball as far away as pos?

otherwise it was a cr-p header by Galbraith - rock all to do with Jameson's kicking,.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Jameson is very good, particularly at this level. We have had worse when we were a full time league club. Seriously how many saves did he make on Wednesday!

Regards his kicking, I presumed it was simply down to the injury he has been carrying and looks to me that as games go by he is returning to the norm.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:23 pm

If your putting blame anywhere for Stockport's goal on Wednesday, then I'd say Galbraith was definitely more to blame, as his weak header was the main cause of the mix up.

Yes I can understand teams wanting to kick towards their own fans, but as a lot of clubs hardly bring any fans, I fail to see their logic in wanting to kick towards the open end in the second half.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:09 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Yes I can understand teams wanting to kick towards their own fans, but as a lot of clubs hardly bring any fans, I fail to see their logic in wanting to kick towards the open end in the second half.
They don't always have a choice about it.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Quakerz wrote:

Sorry - no I'm not. Please read the first line of my post.

Certainly not looking for perfection but he does struggle with his kicking at times, and that's the only criticism I've got.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:56 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:the only thing I can think of for Jameson getting a rollicking for their first goal might be lack of communication to Galbraith - to tell him to tw-t the ball as far away as pos?

otherwise it was a cr-p header by Galbraith - rock all to do with Jameson's kicking,.
The kick was quite far off both Beck & Hardy, in fact Hardy just got there by the time the ball landed on their defenders head. Possesion recycled way too easily and if you cut that out, you cut Stockport pumping the ball up and scoring.

But that isn't to say that Galbraith also wasn't at fault for the goal. He directly was, but if the distribution was better in the first place....

AGAIN, I am not Jameson bashing. He's an excellent goalkeeper, who pulled off a number of fine saves on Wednesday night to keep us in the game, but anybody that can't see that the first ball needs to be better, and also can't see that it contributed to their goal, needs their head checking!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:34 pm

I get what you're saying mate but we need to defend anything that starts from over our halfway line better. Jameson could've banged the ball another 20 yards into their half but an oppo centre half could head the ball back -right on the sweet spot - and propel the ball back, negating those extra 20 yards.

If Galbraith lumps that ball into the stratosphere - even directly in front of him and out for a corner - we wouldn't be talking about Jameson.

But we agree to disagree here I think :)

Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Please. Stop blaming people. Fine, blame if they did something deliberately but not if we're all together, players and supporters. Please keep in mind that we are all in this together.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:01 am

Jeff Jones wrote:Please. Stop blaming people. Fine, blame if they did something deliberately but not if we're all together, players and supporters. Please keep in mind that we are all in this together.
If you do something wrong by accident you still need to take responsibility for it, I have to at work.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:15 pm

The thing with Jameson is that he has some top quality attributes. His shot stopping and one on ones are excellent.

He has a couple of things that stop him from being a top class keeper.

He doesn't command his box and should be coming and claiming some deliveries and his kicking is poor on occasion. All I would ask is that in training these are the things that need working on. I think Tony Norman improved the guy very well (saw Norman at our game the other day). I don't think I've seen the same improvements since. Hopefully Bell can work on these areas with him

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:21 pm

I sure Bell and Gray are aware of the parts of the game that Jameson needs to work on.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I sure Bell and Gray are aware of the parts of the game that Jameson needs to work on.
But it needs to be shown there's improvement

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Didn't see too much wrong with his keeping at Nuneaton.
And becoming more commanding in his box will come with time and experience. Of all our players I think he is the one with most potential to play at a higher level.