Anyone fancy talking football?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tdk1
Team Supported: Darlington

Anyone fancy talking football?

Post by tdk1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Talking about all this admin stuff is like chasing shadows.

Who's our key player for next season? Is Knight up to the keeper's job? Where will our mobility in attack come from? What do we think about Jeff Smith so far? Who will be our next big star - Main or Gray? I am suffering severe football withdrawals.

quaker4life

Re: Anyone fancy talking football?

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:05 pm

tdk1 wrote:Talking about all this admin stuff is like chasing shadows.

Who's our key player for next season? Is Knight up to the keeper's job? Where will our mobility in attack come from? What do we think about Jeff Smith so far? Who will be our next big star - Main or Gray? I am suffering severe football withdrawals.
Nope.

Sod football, it's irrelevant!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:06 pm

I think Smith and Lumsdon could be big players for us.

I'm concerned slightly by Knight (lack of experience and seemed to be falling down the leagues prior to us signing him), but hope that he can go the way of Stockdale and get a bit of confidence playing behind a solid defence.

Still very concerned by the lack of forwards or a right-winger, but appreciate we're waiting for other clubs to confirm their plans before we know ours.

Pre-season reports on Jeff Smith are promising - could we be onto another Martin Smith-esque signing down that flank? With Josh Gray as stand-in I think we'll be strong down the left this season.

Oh, a quaker4life, fuck off you miserable c***. How is football irrelevant FOR A FOOTBALL CLUB?!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:12 pm

I've a hunch that Liversedge could be our Stockdale-in-waiting. I've not seen him, but he sounds promising enough. Our solid defence could see Knight right, but with his injury record I reckon Liversedge could have his chance this season. We may start the season with Convery on the right and bring somebody in. I'm most concerned about up front. Still, it's not uncommon for things to shuffle about a bit once the season has already started.

The Boro lad we've been talking about (Franks?) started for them vs Carlisle on Saturday. No sign of Alves, Mido or Tuncay. Guess they're looking to blood yet more next year, which is a bad sign for our hopes of getting anyone in on loan.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:15 pm

Spyman wrote:I think Smith and Lumsdon could be big players for us.

I'm concerned slightly by Knight (lack of experience and seemed to be falling down the leagues prior to us signing him), but hope that he can go the way of Stockdale and get a bit of confidence playing behind a solid defence.

Still very concerned by the lack of forwards or a right-winger, but appreciate we're waiting for other clubs to confirm their plans before we know ours.

Pre-season reports on Jeff Smith are promising - could we be onto another Martin Smith-esque signing down that flank? With Josh Gray as stand-in I think we'll be strong down the left this season.

Oh, a quaker4life, fuck off you miserable c***. How is football irrelevant FOR A FOOTBALL CLUB?!
:D Only kidding spy no need to bite!

As others have already stated we have a good spine, keeping Fozzie and Miller was a huge boost as for the newcomers I'm reserving judgement until I see them play although I've heard encouraging things about Smith, Lumsdon and Arnison(?).

I'm a little concerned about the striker situation as well as we seem to be short of cover for injuries, although we have Windass, hasn't lost his touch but he's a real veteran in football years at 40, again I'll reserve judgement on Thorpe until I see him play and then we have Main who is a good prospect and hopefully we'll see him get a good run out this season.

No doubt if/when everything is signed and sealed Todd will dip into the loan market so at the moment it's too early to make a fair assessment of the squad.
Last edited by quaker4life on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:16 pm

tdk1 wrote:I've a hunch that Liversedge could be our Stockdale-in-waiting. I've not seen him, but he sounds promising enough. Our solid defence could see Knight right, but with his injury record I reckon Liversedge could have his chance this season. We may start the season with Convery on the right and bring somebody in. I'm most concerned about up front. Still, it's not uncommon for things to shuffle about a bit once the season has already started.

The Boro lad we've been talking about (Franks?) started for them vs Carlisle on Saturday. No sign of Alves, Mido or Tuncay. Guess they're looking to blood yet more next year, which is a bad sign for our hopes of getting anyone in on loan.
Mido and Tuncay are both on their way out. Don't know about Alves, but if he does go that only really leaves Alliadiere doesn't it? If so then Franks will surely get his chance at some stage.

I think we're aiming too high with Franks and Waghorn. Can't see us getting either.

Who was that lad we had on trial a couple of years ago who ended up signing for the Hangers? Is he getting a game there?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:31 pm

Was it Mackay? Don't think he's lit the world on fire for them. Do the Geordies have anyone they could lend us? Surely there's some players below Franks and Waghorn in the pecking order at the Smoggies and Sunlun? I do think our striker situation is the area that needs addressing most quickly.

I haven't had me tuppence on the James/Starosta incident yet - I think Todd was spot on. I thought at first that it was risky as it allowed other players the right to back out on their handshake deals, but isn't James notoriously unpopular and.. well.. mental? It's not beyond the realms of possibility that all the other players were actually asking him to get rid, plus it was a display of ambition, showing the key players that we aren't just filling shirts, we're putting together a team. And it meant that James goes back to being a bus driver or toilet cleaner or gangland killer or whatever, rather than taking my hard earned just to put in a shambolic display every week.

Jonny
Team Supported: Hartlepool

Post by Jonny » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:34 pm

Michael Mackay has to be seen to be believed - and not in a good way. No doubt he will play for us about 20 times next season before the Pools management realise the obvious.....

we_8_poolie

Post by we_8_poolie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:55 pm

Tdk , I saw Liversedge play for Whitby and I've got to agree he has massive potential. He could be the one.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:49 pm

we_8_poolie wrote:Tdk , I saw Liversedge play for Whitby and I've got to agree he has massive potential. He could be the one.
To me he's clearly the best. Knight is too small (but I'd give him time to settle)

Still think Gerken is the best keeper we've had for a while.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Two players I like the sound of from pre season reports are Plummer and Bennett. Came in under the radar really but everything I have read has been positive from friendlies and from Hull fans I know. I hope they come under the same bracket as Miller. Talented players not able to cut it at top level but more than good enough for us and eager to learn and establish themselves as first team footballers.

Another obvious plus who has hardly been talked about on here is Windass. He is a massive massive coup. Trying not to get carried away but part of me thinks he could be head and shoulders our best player next season and a revelation in league two.

Also another I will tip for a great season is Josh Gray. Everytime I see him he impresses.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Plummer was captain of Hull's reserves last season, and it sounds like he only failed to make the 1st team because they brought in reinforcements after promotion. I've got high hopes for him.

Windass will be great if he doesn't burn out and we get the right players in around him. Give him service and a willing partner to do his running and he'll be a huge asset.

Also, Todd is making some very good noises about Josh Gray. I think he sees him as a better prospect than Main.

DC

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Plummer has looked quite good from what I've seen, other than the fact that he is probably going to get pushed all over by big burly league two forwards, or anyone with a physical presence. He appears to me to be in the mould of Miller two years ago. A lttle too similar, for my liking. Both good players to play alongside Foster though. We definitly need a workhorse up front alongside Windass and a decent supply from one of the flanks for Windass to attack. With those two things we could have an edge of the play offs season. I really like the look of Lumsdon and Gary Smith, and Jeff Smith looks pretty good. The first eleven just lacks pace and delivery <not much then !!>

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:14 pm

A striker I'd say is a more likely loan target is David Dowson at Sunderland. Had a spell on loan at Chesterfield last season and he scored against a full strength DP's Oldham side at the w/e. Quite athletic and nippy so he'd be a good foil for Windass/Thorpe.

RH79

Post by RH79 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 am

I am worried about the squad which is paper thin in places. I am very pleased we have a spine of a team in Miller, Foster, Windass and Lumsdon. We are going to need a lot of leadership form Fozzie and Windass to even reach saftey.

Up front we need more options. Windass is a great signing but he is 57 and you have to wonder if he will be able to last a full season. That then leaves Thorpe who has never impressed me when i have seen him against us.

IF we can get Arnison and Bower we look much stronger at the back, because James and Starosta looked clueless. It is one thing to get beaten by better players but you must at least know where to stand on the pitch!

Midfeild looks ok but we need a right winger, Convery is a tryer but isnt very good.

However, there is no money left so it will be oans and whoever the big three toss in our direction. I dont think we will get Franks or Waghorn, but we need to keep trying!

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:16 am

Whitby really rated Liversedge, much better than Kazimierczak anyway.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Did I read somewhere on this forum that Sammy Russell was training with us? Was it a genuine fact or just a wind up? Don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't mind having him between the sticks again.
COME ON DARLO!

Darlo Cockney

Post by Darlo Cockney » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Confirmed in the Echo this morning that Sammy is training with us.

DC
Started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:13 pm

Can't find anything about Sammy Russell on the Echo web pages, but maybe not updated yet? Is he training with a view to getting a deal? I thought he was still on contract at Rochdale, although out of favour at the moment.
COME ON DARLO!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Could it be that Todd also doesn't rate Knight and is looking at other options? We've had Woodehead and Russell training with us now, and surely there's no need for 3 keepers on a limited budget?

DC

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:20 pm

Spyman wrote:
Who was that lad we had on trial a couple of years ago who ended up signing for the Hangers? Is he getting a game there?
Gabbiadini?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:34 pm

RH79 wrote:IF we can get Arnison and Bower we look much stronger at the back, because James and Starosta looked clueless.
IF? Arnison and Bower ARE signing mate. No ifs, no buts.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017