Dave Penney

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Dave Penney

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:41 pm

I see Dave Penney is back as assistant Manager at Guiseley AFC.

Spot the error in the article :)

http://guiseleyafc.co.uk/club-news/adam ... w-manager/
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

JE93

Re: Dave Penney

Post by JE93 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Well we've all told the odd white lie on our CV's

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:54 pm

In that case Guiseley are doomed.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:14 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:In that case Guiseley are doomed.
Why?

Re: the error on winning the league twice, with us and Donny, didn't he win it twice (consecutive seasons) with Donny?

Presumably they're making that bizarrely common mistake of confusing us and Doncaster.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Good luck to him, he did a great job when he was our manager.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Spyman wrote:Presumably they're making that bizarrely common mistake of confusing us and Doncaster.
Haha why does this happen? The number of times "is it Doncaster you support?". It's not like it can be put down to simply poor knowledge of lower league football teams - it's a fundamentally poor grasp on UK geography.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:53 am

I've got a lot of time for Dave Penney for the way he conducted himself when Houghton pulled the rug from under the club.

Took us into the play-offs once. Would have taken us at least into the play-offs again had it not been for the administration.

But he's struggled at every other club he's been at since.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:04 am

Darlogramps wrote:I've got a lot of time for Dave Penney for the way he conducted himself when Houghton pulled the rug from under the club.

Took us into the play-offs once. Would have taken us at least into the play-offs again had it not been for the administration.

Agreed. Although never understood why during our playoff campaign when we were crying out for a striker because Abbott and Wright were injured he bolstered the midfield with Prendergast and were very light at a key moment in the season!

Since leaving us it seems to me that he does well when money is available and he can mould a team he wants (which helps!) ie Doncaster and us. However, at Oldham and elsewhere on tighter budgets I don't think he can wheel and deal enough to bring the right squad together and hence he has dropped back to being No.2 as opposed to being the main man.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:22 am

Darlogramps wrote:I've got a lot of time for Dave Penney for the way he conducted himself when Houghton pulled the rug from under the club.

I have no doubt we'd have gone up automatically had it not been for the admin. We'd have gone up automatically the season before if all our strikers hadn't got injured at the same time in the run-in and we ended up playing Micky Cummins up front!

Yes he's not done much since leaving us and he did have money to spend to put together a team of players that were better than the level they were playing at, but those couple of seasons were a real joy to watch regardless.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:37 am

I think with the money given to penny most managers at our level then would have made as good a job as he obviously did,as has been said in the end the owners at the time again shafted us.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:06 am

If my memory serves me well.(it's not that good these days) I thought Penny was one of the first leave a sinking ship when we went into administration in 2009...
If I am correct, MG took over from him to see out the season

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:10 am

My opinion wrote:If my memory serves me well.(it's not that good these days) I thought Penny was one of the first leave a sinking ship when we went into administration in 2009...
If a ship is sinking it seems sensible to leave it!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:07 am

My opinion wrote:If my memory serves me well.(it's not that good these days) I thought Penny was one of the first leave a sinking ship when we went into administration in 2009...
That's either a really clumsy way of wording things or a really bitchy way of wording things.

Penney left one game before the end of the season because a club higher up in the pyramid, Oldham, offered him more stable employment.

Gray took over for the final game before joining Penney's coaching staff at Oldham.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:43 am

Darlogramps wrote:
That's either a really clumsy way of wording things or a really bitchy way of wording things.

Penney left one game before the end of the season because a club higher up in the pyramid, Oldham, offered him more stable employment.

Gray took over for the final game before joining Penney's coaching staff at Oldham.
Could be clumsy, could be bitchy...Either way it changes nothing..He still left a sinking ship...The fact it was one game left makes it worse in my eyes. It would have shown loyalty had he stayed...Would have got some respect from me at least as I never thought he was a very good manager.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31 pm

My opinion wrote:Could be clumsy, could be bitchy...Either way it changes nothing..He still left a sinking ship...The fact it was one game left makes it worse in my eyes. It would have shown loyalty had he stayed...Would have got some respect from me at least as I never thought he was a very good manager.
Yeah, because you'd stay in your job if you weren't being paid.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
My opinion wrote:Could be clumsy, could be bitchy...Either way it changes nothing..He still left a sinking ship...The fact it was one game left makes it worse in my eyes. It would have shown loyalty had he stayed...Would have got some respect from me at least as I never thought he was a very good manager.
Are you saying that all the players and Martin Gray and all the other people who were earning a lot less should have walked out as well..After all, if Penny wasn't or didn't get paid, then they wouldn't have either...According to Gramps, there was only one game left to play.
And Yes. I probably would have stayed without pay for that one remaining game..ButI have shown loyalty where ever I have worked...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:54 pm

My opinion wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Are you saying that all the players and Martin Gray and all the other people who were earning a lot less should have walked out as well..After all, if Penny wasn't or didn't get paid, then they wouldn't have either...According to Gramps, there was only one game left to play.
And Yes. I probably would have stayed without pay for that one remaining game..ButI have shown loyalty where ever I have worked...
And miss out on a job? Don't be silly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:09 pm

My opinion wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Let's get this straight, your entire grievance with Penny is that he left one match early? Martin Gray followed Penny to Oldham, but he is he excused in your eyes because he stayed one more game?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:28 pm

People throw around the word "loyalty" in football. However, the vast vast majority of people would take up an offer of stable employment if their company was on the verge of going bust, so I really don't understand why people expect players and managers to reject stable employment in that situation.

Note: I do realise the slight misuse of the word stable when referring to football management!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:41 pm

it's daft. Ultimately if a manager/players stays during an insolvency event it compounds the problem as well.

The longer they stay the more they are owed the larger the debt. If they leave then there is 'some' relief.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:05 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
My opinion wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Let's get this straight, your entire grievance with Penny is that he left one match early? Martin Gray followed Penny to Oldham, but he is he excused in your eyes because he stayed one more game?
To be fair...My grievance with Penny in not about his lack of loyalty.
My grievance comes from the fact that I didn't like him throughout his time at Darlington...The leaving early thing to me just exacerbated my feelings about him.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:19 pm

So it's a personal thing because you didn't like him and you're trying to use any stick to beat him with.

Glad we've got that established.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:So it's a personal thing because you didn't like him and you're trying to use any stick to beat him with.

Yeah..Thats it.
It's a forum..People come on here declaring their undieing love for this player from the past, and that manager from the past..So I am saying what I think as well...Get over it.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:31 pm

He did a fine, fine job.....of almost getting us promotion with the biggest budget in our history.

His then No 2 is now showing him how it should be done.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Oh no, not that old chestnut again.

He would have got us promoted if GH didn't pull the plug - I reckon it was nailed on that year.

Hodgy didn't get us promoted either, with the biggest budget at the time under GR. He also was given a very big budget after GH took over, and assembled a shambolic set of defenders with it...Ville Vaisanen and Craig James anyone?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Quakerz wrote:Oh no, not that old chestnut again.

He would have got us promoted if GH didn't pull the plug - I reckon it was nailed on that year.

Hodgy didn't get us promoted either, with the biggest budget at the time under GR. He also was given a very big budget after GH took over, and assembled a shambolic set of defenders with it...Ville Vaisanen and Craig James anyone?
Totally agree Q

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:05 pm

My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:So it's a personal thing because you didn't like him and you're trying to use any stick to beat him with.

Yeah..Thats it.
It's a forum..People come on here declaring their undieing love for this player from the past, and that manager from the past..So I am saying what I think as well...Get over it.
Yes and I'm criticising your opinion because it's based on nothing more than the fact you've got an axe to grind. You've admitted so yourself.

So get over it yourself.

You've not actually stated why you don't like Dave Penney.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:31 am

I'm sure Gray learnt a lot from working under Penney, so that's something else we should be grateful for from Penney's stay with us. They'll still no doubt be friends and talk occasionally over the phone about things.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:37 am

Darlogramps wrote:
My opinion wrote:

Yeah..Thats it.
Yes and I'm criticising your opinion because it's based on nothing more than the fact you've got an axe to grind. You've admitted so yourself.

So get over it yourself.

You've not actually stated why you don't like Dave Penney.
I don't need to.
As for criticising me. Well let's be right, you criticise everyone..You just love the argument....Just my opinion like.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:16 am

I wasn't that impressed with Penney to be honest.
We should have gone up in 2007-08, and were even 3-1 up on aggregate in the play off semi-final. For me, that season was a missed opportunity.
I understand why he went to Oldham, and don't begrudge him that, but I'm afraid he has never lived up to his early success at Doncaster.
Good luck to him, but we've had better managers.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.