Blackwell bar now open to Season Ticket Holders?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersam
Team Supported: Darlington

Blackwell bar now open to Season Ticket Holders?

Post by quakersam » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:40 pm

I'm assuming this is new? Looks like they have opened the bar to season ticket holders also? Tom Watson Room is the downstairs bar so it looks like the capacity restriction has been lifted or the club have seen sense, either way its good news. Some will complain at having to pay extra but its revenue for the club and for less than a quid a game (based on a full season of games) its got to be worth it.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/28355-2/
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Darlo_Pete

Re: Blackwell bar now open to Season Ticket Holders?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:40 pm

That's probably due to 500 club members like me, not taking up the offer.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:42 am

Glad to see its not been popular with 500 club members. I didn't take it up either. I'm totally against a pay to access members only bar.

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:42 am

will the peasants be able to get a cheeky half time pint in the tent thing? Will that by served be a separate licencing agreement?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:19 am

Robbie Painter wrote:Glad to see its not been popular with 500 club members. I didn't take it up either. I'm totally against a pay to access members only bar.
The ones who have been happy to pay it tend to be those who are grateful for a hot drink and a warm place at half time and who are planning on bringing along children & grandchildren.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:29 am

There's a box on the application form for you to tick to declare that you are a 500 club member, so it looks as though this is still the same offer and not something new?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:44 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:Glad to see its not been popular with 500 club members. I didn't take it up either. I'm totally against a pay to access members only bar.
The ones who have been happy to pay it tend to be those who are grateful for a hot drink and a warm place at half time and who are planning on bringing along children & grandchildren.
Do the kids have to pay for bar membership as well then? Genuine question. I'd assume so given "Due to the strict rules imposed upon the Club, access will be strictly enforced."

Also I've never heard of this law at any previous Darlo ground: "no bar will be available because of licensing laws at Half Time". Is this in place at HP currently? It certainly wasn't at the Arena or Feethams as far as I remember. Seems very odd especially given its an "exclusive members only" bar.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:22 am

Mary mentioned that Durhams are different after an away game when fans were openly drinking but probably best to e-mail the address for queries@darlingtonfc.org (I think that is the address as I couldn't find confirmation on official or DFCSG website and will notify if incorrect)

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:42 am

Just a little confused.

Does that mean as a season ticket holder I have to complete the for, become a member of the quaker club to have access. Or simply as a season ticket hold i automatically have access?

Anyone know?, thanks

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:47 am

I'd imagine it means applications are open?

I think the beer tent is going to be outside the stadium? So no half time beers... Will need resolving at some point.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:57 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Just a little confused.

Does that mean as a season ticket holder I have to complete the for, become a member of the quaker club to have access. Or simply as a season ticket hold i automatically have access?

Anyone know?, thanks
Fill in the form,pay £20 for the privilege of being inside.Enjoy.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Has anything been announced about the split of revenue generated by the bars?

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 pm

The profit margin on a pint of beer is miniscule. So there's not much money to made from it for the club. Buy a pie. Much better financially :D

Most 500 club members are based in the stand, and are slightly older. I think a lot will have been put off by the time it would take to get to the clubhouse, especially if segregation was in place. It would look like club Wembley at the start of the second half.

Tent is outside...for now. This is all going to change once the rugby club realise they've been to conservative in their figures.

Personally i disagree strongly with the £20. It really has come across that the club are trying to eek more money out. My Dad would probably have done it though to get a drink at half time. But he's been put out of place by the original 500 club only condition.

All in all, it's been a bit of a PR fail, but one thing we do pretty well now is learn from the mistakes.

dfclincolnshire

Post by dfclincolnshire » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 pm

dickdarlington wrote:The profit margin on a pint of beer is miniscule. So there's not much money to made from it for the club. Buy a pie. Much better financially :D

Most 500 club members are based in the stand, and are slightly older. I think a lot will have been put off by the time it would take to get to the clubhouse, especially if segregation was in place. It would look like club Wembley at the start of the second half.

Tent is outside...for now. This is all going to change once the rugby club realise they've been to conservative in their figures.

Personally i disagree strongly with the £20. It really has come across that the club are trying to eek more money out. My Dad would probably have done it though to get a drink at half time. But he's been put out of place by the original 500 club only condition.

All in all, it's been a bit of a PR fail, but one thing we do pretty well now is learn from the mistakes.
I would beg to differ on GP or profit conversion on a pie compared to a pint !!

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Ditto, I didn't take up on the offer either
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:36 pm

I also on principle rejected the offer £20 not on. So Will be having a couple of jars elsewhere all five of us.shame.it is what it is.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Yep, me and two others will be going back to our old haunt in Darlington..The money saved on each of us not joining the Quaker club will pay our taxi from the pub to the ground.

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:54 pm

My opinion wrote:Yep, me and two others will be going back to our old haunt in Darlington..The money saved on each of us not joining the Quaker club will pay our taxi from the pub to the ground.
You only coming to 4 games then? £20 to join Quaker club - 11 games x£5 tax = £55
Once DRFC can handle numbers I can see QC numbers rising.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:07 pm

With not finishing work till 1pm on a Saturday I only have time for 1 pint so where`s the incentive to pay £20

theoriginalcount

Post by theoriginalcount » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:29 pm

What I don't understand is bar access at HP is unregulated, other than if it's busy you may have to queue for a pint, or if it's packed, don't bother. Unless the BM Clubhouse is the size of a portakabin, what's the issue? Most loyal fans, and there are many of us, WILL NOT be paying a £20 surcharge simply in case we fancy a pint, in which case, unless we all pay it if wanting to meet up with friends, what's the point?

The football club needs to flex its muscles on this, and other restrictions regarding the groundshare deal, as it seems as though the rugby club are dictating ALL the terms and conveniently ignoring the revenue generation the football club brings.

Dog wagging tail or tail wagging dog? You decide, whereby ultimately, gate numbers will determine. I know a lot of very loyal fans who are getting more disenfranchised with this whole deal the more details that emerge...

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:09 pm

theoriginalcount wrote:What I don't understand is bar access at HP is unregulated, other than if it's busy you may have to queue for a pint, or if it's packed, don't bother. Unless the BM Clubhouse is the size of a portakabin, what's the issue? Most loyal fans, and there are many of us, WILL NOT be paying a £20 surcharge simply in case we fancy a pint, in which case, unless we all pay it if wanting to meet up with friends, what's the point?

The football club needs to flex its muscles on this, and other restrictions regarding the groundshare deal, as it seems as though the rugby club are dictating ALL the terms and conveniently ignoring the revenue generation the football club brings.

Dog wagging tail or tail wagging dog? You decide, whereby ultimately, gate numbers will determine. I know a lot of very loyal fans who are getting more disenfranchised with this whole deal the more details that emerge...

Aye burn our bridges before we start, sounds sensible. Like it or not we're tenants even if we are a bigger club, the rugby club hold most of the cards for now. I'm a tad disappointed in the attitude of a few of our fans, an attitude that won't be conducive to a harmonious relationship with our landlords.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:25 pm

darlodog wrote:
My opinion wrote:Yep, me and two others will be going back to our old haunt in Darlington..The money saved on each of us not joining the Quaker club will pay our taxi from the pub to the ground.
You only coming to 4 games then? £20 to join Quaker club - 11 games x£5 tax = £55
Once DRFC can handle numbers I can see QC numbers rising.
Erm...I did say the money saved from each of us not joining....That is a total of £60. That will see us through the season I think.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:42 am

The problem isn't what we get it's people's interpretation and having minds running away with them.

It was clearly communicated that licensing (basically the council right?) laws have restricted the numbers in the bar. Now I can't pretend to know why that is the case here and not elsewhere but there has been no suggestion - at all - that the rugby club have even been near the discussions.

You know what it strikes me as - people getting their excuses in already.

"Oh can't go to the arena, white elephant, atmosphere, pricey tickets. If you move somewhere smaller and cheaper I'll come but until then better stay in the pub and watch football on TV"

"Oh can't go to Heritage Park, too far out of town, standard of football not good enough. If you get promoted and move back to Darlington I'll come but until then better stay in the pub and watch football on TV"

"Oh Blackwell Meadows, well car parking, have to pay to access a bar after and I don't know how much lie money is going to the football club. If you get your own ground I'll come but until then better stay in the pub and watch football on TV"

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:01 am

lo36789 wrote:The problem isn't what we get it's people's interpretation and having minds running away with them.

It was clearly communicated that licensing (basically the council right?) laws have restricted the numbers in the bar. Now I can't pretend to know why that is the case here and not elsewhere but there has been no suggestion - at all - that the rugby club have even been near the discussions.

You know what it strikes me as - people getting their excuses in already.

"Oh can't go to the arena, white elephant, atmosphere, pricey tickets. If you move somewhere smaller and cheaper I'll come but until then better stay in the pub and watch football on TV"

"Oh can't go to Heritage Park, too far out of town, standard of football not good enough. If you get promoted and move back to Darlington I'll come but until then better stay in the pub and watch football on TV"

"Oh Blackwell Meadows, well car parking, have to pay to access a bar after and I don't know how much lie money is going to the football club. If you get your own ground I'll come but until then better stay in the pub and watch football on TV"
I don't think so lo
Most of us who have commented on this thread are 500 club members..We don't need to"get our excusses in early" as we have paid up front..
When it comes down to it, it is our choice, simple as that..

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:24 am

Can anyone else remember, back at the arena, there was one, maybe two, seasons where a charge was introduced to access the Ron Greener lounge?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:45 am

theoriginalcount wrote:What I don't understand is bar access at HP is unregulated, other than if it's busy you may have to queue for a pint, or if it's packed, don't bother. Unless the BM Clubhouse is the size of a portakabin, what's the issue? Most loyal fans, and there are many of us, WILL NOT be paying a £20 surcharge simply in case we fancy a pint, in which case, unless we all pay it if wanting to meet up with friends, what's the point?

They obviously don't think the bar will cope (for the first few games at least) so have provided a marquee for those who don't want to pay to manage demand. How would you or others who are unhappy to pay have managed demand?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:53 am

They obviously don't think the bar will cope with demand (for the first few games at least) so have provided a marquee for those who don't want to pay. How would you have managed the demand as I can't think of a better alternative.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 am

Demand hasn't been a great problem at HP for over 4years in a room half the size of the bar at BM.Cant make my mind up if this is just the club being over cautious or they are trying to milk us.Either way I,or any of lads I chat to in the bar at Bish won't be paying it.

theoriginalcount

Post by theoriginalcount » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:41 am

Emdubya wrote:Demand hasn't been a great problem at HP for over 4years in a room half the size of the bar at BM.Cant make my mind up if this is just the club being over cautious or they are trying to milk us.Either way I,or any of lads I chat to in the bar at Bish won't be paying it.
That's it in a nutshell. I know it's not quite the same as it's unique but if a pub is packed, you have a choice, join the throng and get a beer if and when you can, but if it's too much hassle, don't bother, or go back later. How many pubs in town could get away with charging a premium on the door just to regulate access?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:52 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:

They obviously don't think the bar will cope with demand (for the first few games at least) so have provided a marquee for those who don't want to pay. How would you have managed the demand as I can't think of a better alternative.
No one will answer this question. Reason being is that they don't know and the club are trying their best