BBC Radio Tees tonight

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: BBC Radio Tees tonight

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Andrew Wilkinson wrote:Agree with Banktopp. The fans radio, Twitter, the club's website and this message board keeps us informed on all things Darlo.
That's why unless the media improve considerably we don't need them.
Well we certainly seem to manage without your toe-curlingly dreadful match reports from the Evening Gazette.

Former newspaper reporter saying the media aren't needed - not that you're bitter...
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Andrew Wilkinson wrote:Agree with Banktopp. The fans radio, Twitter, the club's website and this message board keeps us informed on all things Darlo.
Well we certainly seem to manage without your toe-curlingly dreadful match reports from the Evening Gazette.

Former newspaper reporter saying the media aren't needed - not that you're bitter...
Bit harsh. Always thought Andrew did a pretty good job despite his column inches being restricted by a (justifiably) Boro dominated newspaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Agreed, I always found articles in the Gazette informative. Quite often you would come across information that was not published elsewhere. I haven't agreed with Andrew on some comments made previously but as I said - our stories in the Gazette were certainly a positive.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:10 pm

TFDM wrote:In reference to the objectivity of the club's stuff... its difficult. I would argue its not our job to an extent. We are there to promote the club at the end of the day and be its official mouth piece. We have to try and be positive. That kind of limits what you can ask sometimes.

Occasionally when I do a piece with Martin or a player I'll try and ask a question to raise a specific issue. But its gently done. At the end of the day you've got to be careful, you need to return to these people repeatedly. If you piss someone off with a badly phrased question (no mater how well intended it is) then it can be pretty hard to bring that person back around and everything afterwards suffers.

I'm not saying post match questioning is perfect but its a tricky thing to strike a balance.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully understand your role. It wasn't a criticism of the job Ray et al do as such. I can appreciate you're just doing your (volunteer) job.

My point was more that it demonstrates the importance for fans of the club having a good relationship with local media.

The club will tell us what they want us to hear, which may not always be 100% what's actually happening.

That's why I think it's vital we have local media who can be independent and objective. Relying solely on the club and its media managers to know what's happening isn't a good state of affairs in my opinion.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Agreed, I always found articles in the Gazette informative. Quite often you would come across information that was not published elsewhere. I haven't agreed with Andrew on some comments made previously but as I said - our stories in the Gazette were certainly a positive.
Always thought they were opinionated drivel than objective reporting, but each to their own.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:15 pm

robsraiders wrote:I am speaking on BBC Radio Tees in the morning on at 07.10 about our return, lets hope it sounds good !
Rob I thought you looked great on Radio this morning! Good job you were on an hour later than advertised may have had a few more listeners. I think some people on this thread are confusing two issues.

The majority of EXISTING FANS on here seem more than happy to keep up date via the Club YouTube, Fans Radio and Club Interviews etc. so be it, these clearly provide a great service. But this is not just about existing fans. If we are to attract NEW Fans, and just as importantly Sponsors, these services alone may have limited success. I know we have a dedicated Commercial Team trying to grow the Club, but ask any of them whether we need the Local Media to help promote the Club and I would be surprised if they said no! Look North and BBC Tees have very large numbers of viewers and listeners which the Commercial Team may find harder (or take longer) to reach. So whilst you might argue we can survive without the Local Media, we do need them to help grow the club on and off the field.

The airtime and Regional exposure we have received over the last 24 hours can only benefit the Club.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:17 pm

Link to Tees article, starts at about 14:50.

Was actually quite decent with John Tempest, Malcolm Cundick & Mike Wilkinson all being interviewed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04hmqyg

bga

Post by bga » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
TFDM wrote:In reference to the objectivity of the club's stuff... its difficult. I would argue its not our job to an extent. We are there to promote the club at the end of the day and be its official mouth piece. We have to try and be positive. That kind of limits what you can ask sometimes.

Occasionally when I do a piece with Martin or a player I'll try and ask a question to raise a specific issue. But its gently done. At the end of the day you've got to be careful, you need to return to these people repeatedly. If you piss someone off with a badly phrased question (no mater how well intended it is) then it can be pretty hard to bring that person back around and everything afterwards suffers.

I'm not saying post match questioning is perfect but its a tricky thing to strike a balance.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully understand your role. It wasn't a criticism of the job Ray et al do as such. I can appreciate you're just doing your (volunteer) job.

My point was more that it demonstrates the importance for fans of the club having a good relationship with local media.

The club will tell us what they want us to hear, which may not always be 100% what's actually happening.

That's why I think it's vital we have local media who can be independent and objective. Relying solely on the club and its media managers to know what's happening isn't a good state of affairs in my opinion.
Don't see how anyone can disagree with your last point in particular Gramps.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:21 pm

Agree with Darlofan97, always thought Andrew's reports on us and the coverage in general very good so very harsh from you Darlogramps.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Not at all bitter Gramps. Spend over 20 years covering Darlo home and away. Covered Boro at The likes of Old Trafford, and Wembley cup finals. As an angling writer fished the best rivers and lakes in England - for free. Co wrote three football books with Ray Simpson.
Last edited by Andrew Wilkinson on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Personally I think Craig Stoddart & the Echo give us great coverage. No complaints on that front.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Personally I think Craig Stoddart & the Echo give us great coverage. No complaints on that front.
Robbie whilst I disagree with your earlier comments on this thread you are spot on here about the Echo coverage.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 am

Had certain people at the Echo had their way we would have been dropped when we were in the northern league. Stod and Peter Barron were the main reasons we weren't dropped and we should be thankful that those two fought our corner.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:27 pm

loan_star wrote:Had certain people at the Echo had their way we would have been dropped when we were in the northern league. Stod and Peter Barron were the main reasons we weren't dropped and we should be thankful that those two fought our corner.
Agreed Robbo, the Echo's coverage is brilliant for a club at our level, even more so when we were in the Northern league.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Craig Stoddart gives brilliant coverage to our club, him and Ray Simpson take some beating.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Totally agree with that Craig and Ray have both been excellent for Darlington football club,Iong may they continue to be so, two very good sports journalists.I don't think we could have had a better two fighting our corner.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:02 pm

Don't forget Kev Luff. Interesting choice of phrase 'fighting our corner'. There is no need for journalists to do that these days as the club is stable and open, which is great.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:11 pm

Andrew Wilkinson wrote:Don't forget Kev Luff. Interesting choice of phrase 'fighting our corner'. There is no need for journalists to do that these days as the club is stable and open, which is great.
What else would you call it then Andrew? Loughlin and a couple of others on the sportsdesk wanted Darlo dropping from regular coverage. Stod and Barron made sure that didn't happen so if it's not fighting our corner I don't know what else you would choose to call it.
Perhaps you should have done the same at the Gazette?

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:45 pm

See what you mean. I didn't read it that way. What I was referring to was that these days as a Darlo reporter you don't need to delve deep to let fans know what's happening in the club because it is more open than in the days of many previous owners.
Last edited by Andrew Wilkinson on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:41 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Bit harsh. Always thought Andrew did a pretty good job despite his column inches being restricted by a (justifiably) Boro dominated newspaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeap. Andrews reports for me were another source of darlo related info - readily digested. From memory I can recall no toe curling content. Back when living in Durham (pre proper Internet) it was always a case of having to wade through the endless media offerings on boro, Newcastle and Sunderland - so Andrews stuff in addition to the echo was welcome for me.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:15 am

Andrew Wilkinson wrote: The job that the Darlo media volunteers do is fantastic. Current newspaper coverage is not.
Disagree. I think Stoddart and the Echo do an excellent job. Occasionally I think they're a little passive and I've criticised them in the past, but on the whole, the job Stoddart does is a good one.

Given the only regular newspaper coverage comes from your former rivals, I'd suggest your negativity towards the Northern Echo stems from existing prejudices rather than objective criticism. It's like you're hankering for things as they were, when that is outdated and times have moved on. If you won't accept that, then it's better that you're no longer involved.

Just because it's not how YOU would like it, doesn't make it bad.

You've always had a downer on other journalists and publications. Even to the point you'd question another journalist's support for Darlington just hours after their death.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:22 am

The Gazette always seemed to be one step of the Echo for all manner of scoops, so A.W has nothing to be prejudiced about.

This was in the days before Stod, before anyone thinks I'm knocking him (which I'm not)

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:43 am

Quakerz wrote:The Gazette always seemed to be one step of the Echo for all manner of scoops, so A.W has nothing to be prejudiced about.

This was in the days before Stod, before anyone thinks I'm knocking him (which I'm not)
Stod's been covering us for about 15 years now if I'm correct, and the Echo has dominated for a long time (as it should BTW as it's based in the town, whereas the Gazette is predominantly a Boro paper).

Hence the negativity about the Echo from AW.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:47 am

A.W still did a good job covering Darlo, especially considering he worked for a paper that was all about Teesside.

I used to always look forward to reading his articles.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:46 pm

Didnt mention us in the immediate post match programme... Just Boro and Hartlepool

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:57 pm

darlo fans radio is an excellent service and supplements all other media outlets. darlogramps has great interviews see no difference to those on sky. have a fantastic new year guys

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:46 am

Look North last night said there was only one football result to bring viewers, and that was York's defeat - no mention of Darlo at Halifax.
At our current level the only regular media coverage is from the Echo. And just to make it clear, my view is that the Echo give very good coverage on the playing side of the club. I think the reports on the football side are all we could ask for and more.
But perhaps there is greater scope for additional coverage now we are a fan owned club back in town. The model is vastly different from the days of one owner. Now we have hundreds and potentially thousands of people with a stake in the club. And the vast majority live in the Echo's circulation area.
That should perhaps make us an even more appealing prospect to the Echo. I'd like to see more publicity, especially for the businesses in town who give special deals to season ticket holders. This might encourage other businesses to do the same.
We need increasing sponsorship to grow as a club, and the Echo can play an even bigger role than they already do in encouraging the town and wider area to back the club, helping the club and themselves in the process. It would be good to see the news, features and business side of the paper, add to the excellent football coverage.
The fans feel that the club belongs to them more than ever before, and if we are to thrive the town needs to feel the same. And we will never get a better chance to build momentum that this year - our first back in town.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:36 am

Totally agree with Andrew on this one ,everyone together pulling the same way businesses and community, fans, doing all they can to promote the town of Darlington and Darlington F.C.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Andrew Wilkinson wrote:Look North last night said there was only one football result to bring viewers, and that was York's defeat - no mention of Darlo at Halifax.
At our current level the only regular media coverage is from the Echo. And just to make it clear, my view is that the Echo give very good coverage on the playing side of the club. I think the reports on the football side are all we could ask for and more.
But perhaps there is greater scope for additional coverage now we are a fan owned club back in town. The model is vastly different from the days of one owner. Now we have hundreds and potentially thousands of people with a stake in the club. And the vast majority live in the Echo's circulation area.
That should perhaps make us an even more appealing prospect to the Echo. I'd like to see more publicity, especially for the businesses in town who give special deals to season ticket holders. This might encourage other businesses to do the same.
We need increasing sponsorship to grow as a club, and the Echo can play an even bigger role than they already do in encouraging the town and wider area to back the club, helping the club and themselves in the process. It would be good to see the news, features and business side of the paper, add to the excellent football coverage.
The fans feel that the club belongs to them more than ever before, and if we are to thrive the town needs to feel the same. And we will never get a better chance to build momentum that this year - our first back in town.
Andrew totally agree with you as well. I guess being realistic we may only have what is it between 1,000-2,000 (I really don't know an accurate figure) fans with an actual stake in the club. Whatever the figure I imagine it is a relatively small number based on the Echo's circulation and probably far less than say people who go fishing on a weekend so you could argue why should the echo promote the Club? Having said that we are all aware that it would be in the Town's interest (including local businesses) to have a successful club, and that in turn might help the paper's circulation so it should be a win win situation. Not sure I have expressed that as clearly as I might be hopefully my point is understood.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:15 pm

You make your point well bga. For the media it's about decision making. Not just what subjects to cover, but how to cover them, and, these days, not just in the paper, but online, and via social media.
All of the media companies I worked for put a lot of thought into their coverage, sometimes making frequent changes, but always with solid reasoning. The Gazette's Boro coverage, for example, is impressive in quality and also very comprehensive, from match reports, interviews, analysis, through to interaction with fans on social media. Not many media companies can match that. Those with wide circulation areas and the number of clubs they cover have to allocate resources accordingly.
But as fans we all want more about our club. And the Darlo fan owned model can, as you say, bring about a win win situation for the whole community.
Naturally we have got good coverage lately, led so well by the Echo, with the return to town. There's always a danger that having worked hard to achieve a target, the momentum slows. To prevent that happening we need the media with us, covering the playing and non-playing sides of the club. The better a local club does, especially a fan-owned one, the better it is for local business, media included.