Which Pre-Match Pub?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dfc1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Which Pre-Match Pub?

Post by dfc1883 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:59 pm

As only a privileged few can get into the bar at the ground, and there is no outside bar for the opening game, where are you likely to go for your pre-match drinks?

The closest bars are Sloans, and The Grange on Grange Road, but I have no idea if they're even open at those times, and neither have Skysports.

I saw a facebook post by Joes bar saying that season ticket holders and supporters club members can get beer / spirit and mixer for £2.50 pre-match, which is a pretty good deal. You just have to show your card. Do they have sky sports?

The Hoskins has skysports, and is quite a large space too.

To be honest we're spoilt for choice, and it's going to be great getting a pre-match drink in the town centre again, but we might be able to get some nice deals should we guarantee some numbers, and it looks like Joe's are the only ones who have considered this so far.

Any other thoughts?

lo36789

Re: Which Pre-Match Pub?

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Ah a boxing day hunt for skysports...

crapname

Post by crapname » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:03 am

Last time I was in Hoskins, they had taken Sky out.
Red Lion?

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:12 am

I would probably go out of my way to avoid a pub with Sky Sports to be honest.
I'm hoping Number 22 is open tomorrow. If not, The Quakerhouse.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:30 am

Arden street (central wmc) I remember them giving me some money for the back to Darlo fund that they raised from a bucket collection on the bar to take to bishop and add it to the collection.
also, the drink is decent by any standard set in this town and only £2.55 a pint of lager.fosters/carling.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:02 pm

darlodaz wrote:Arden street (central wmc) I remember them giving me some money for the back to Darlo fund that they raised from a bucket collection on the bar to take to bishop and add it to the collection.
also, the drink is decent by any standard set in this town and only £2.55 a pint of lager.fosters/carling.

Yeah it is a very good drink in there, also have pool table, darts and snooker table so you wouldn't get too bored. Also a few Darlo fans go I there already so you might knew a couple, you never know.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:09 pm

The drink is decent but they serve Carling and Fosters?

What are the decent alternatives?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:07 pm

Spyman wrote:The drink is decent but they serve Carling and Fosters?

What are the decent alternatives?

I'm with you there piss water, I know what goes in the brew and if people knew they wouldn't touch it..

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:15 pm

if you mean real ales as alternatives then that is not the place for some people its just a run of the mill traditional wmc serving lager and beers from the pumps.
This place will not suit everyone but it's close enough to walk to the match and have a few pints beforehand.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:11 pm

darlodaz wrote:if you mean real ales as alternatives then that is not the place for some people its just a run of the mill traditional wmc serving lager and beers from the pumps.
This place will not suit everyone but it's close enough to walk to the match and have a few pints beforehand.
Nope not necessarily real ales, I prefer lager or IPA on keg to be honest, but just not Carling or Fosters (or Carlsberg).

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:07 pm

oh and certainly not the good old Heineken that has to be the worst of the lot along with Carlsberg.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:52 am

Funnily enough, as above, does anyone know if 22 is open? I know he tends to just open when he feels over the festive period... I'll be heading there, if the doors are shut then who knows. Maybe Sloans.

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:57 am

Sod the bar at the rugby club it should be boycotted until it changes, didn't similar happen at Feethams with the cricket club bar? Oh and what about the Skerne Park pub :lol:

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:59 am

H1987 wrote:Funnily enough, as above, does anyone know if 22 is open? I know he tends to just open when he feels over the festive period... I'll be heading there, if the doors are shut then who knows. Maybe Sloans.
Alas, 22s isn't open until tomorrow.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:04 pm

RonJeremy wrote:Sod the bar at the rugby club it should be boycotted until it changes, didn't similar happen at Feethams with the cricket club bar? Oh and what about the Skerne Park pub Image
Boycotted by who? Those who don't have access?

DC

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Spyman wrote:
RonJeremy wrote:Sod the bar at the rugby club it should be boycotted until it changes, didn't similar happen at Feethams with the cricket club bar? Oh and what about the Skerne Park pub Image
Boycotted by who? Those who don't have access?

How can they boycott it? I mean the people who do, for the benefit of everyone both clubs included.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Why would they boycott it they have paid so they can go in

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:55 pm

I enjoyed a drink in the clubhouse. Definitely capacity for a couple of hundred.

DC

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:15 pm

Prob partly because it was Boxing Day, but it was great seeing the town centre pubs full of fans before the game .
Think before posting