Stadium Blueprint with Waterpipe location

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Stadium Blueprint with Waterpipe location

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:57 pm

What will be fun, if we get back to the football league, is how to get to 2,000 seats out of the 5,000 capacity.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:What will be fun, if we get back to the football league, is how to get to 2,000 seats out of the 5,000 capacity.
As Ive said, surely it would be... go back onto the rugby pitch behind or demolish the clubhouse... Temp stands dont count.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Is it to actually have 6,000/2,000 or plans for that? I thought all you actually needed was 5,000/1,000.

Basically the requirements for ground grading are that you can meet your current division and have the ability to increase to the division above.

Sure this was done to avoid clubs being unable to take promotion because of ground grading.

I am really thinking we are 10 years off FL by the way!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:37 pm

If you look at the post earlier on in the thread with the link it says after 3 years of the EFL you need the 5,000/2,000 combination to be full members.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Has to be within 3 years of promotion. The conference will be a tough ask to get out of.... But it's doable if we are clever with recruitment and in Gray we have the ideal man for that task

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:41 pm

lo36789 wrote: I am really thinking we are 10 years off FL by the way!
I think that's very ambitious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:44 pm

It's very easy to say lose the reserve pitch or the clubhouse but see this from DRFC's view. They can't play on the 1st team pitch as often as they want, the reserve pitch people are talking about building on is the only other playable pitch at BM as the 2 sloping pitches are among the worst in NE rugby.

Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:29 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:It's very easy to say lose the reserve pitch or the clubhouse but see this from DRFC's view. They can't play on the 1st team pitch as often as they want, the reserve pitch people are talking about building on is the only other playable pitch at BM as the 2 sloping pitches are among the worst in NE rugby.

I appreciate that but from our perspective something has to give if we have ambitions to be back in the FL... If there isnt wiggle room to get the ground up to standard to be in League 2 then we have an issue, however long away that may be. The only wiggle room I can see to have a 6k ground with 2k seats is either the clubhouse goes or we go back onto the reserves pitch. I'm certain this has been discussed tho which is why I'm excited to see the plans.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:53 pm

The clubhouse won't be going anywhere, that's safe to say. It's the prime asset to the site. And with the small sacrifice of the ground floor windows, and the hiring of a good architect, a seated structure could be constructed in front of and including the existing structure.

Going back on the south side is an option. There is ample space to the west to utilise first though. I'm sure that will be of like interest to Those in control. Referring to the back of the south stand, if a more substantial structure is required then I would expect part of the fundraising will be to purchase additional land, and to replace the pitch(es) that are lost. For me, that is a fair compromise. At the same time though, it's an ideal opportunity to also invest of a 4g training pitch to generate funds for both clubs and to create lock all football and rugby club activities to the one site.

However this if really getting ahead of ourselves, and development by beyond the existing parameters is going to cost a pretty penny.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:56 pm

I hate iPhones and their predictive texts. And sausage fingers.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:25 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:It's very easy to say lose the reserve pitch or the clubhouse but see this from DRFC's view. They can't play on the 1st team pitch as often as they want, the reserve pitch people are talking about building on is the only other playable pitch at BM as the 2 sloping pitches are among the worst in NE rugby.

I appreciate that but from our perspective something has to give if we have ambitions to be back in the FL... If there isnt wiggle room to get the ground up to standard to be in League 2 then we have an issue, however long away that may be. The only wiggle room I can see to have a 6k ground with 2k seats is either the clubhouse goes or we go back onto the reserves pitch. I'm certain this has been discussed tho which is why I'm excited to see the plans.
As others have said, to be a full FL member (if it ever happens) you need 5,000 capacity including 2,000 seats.

It used to be 6,000/2,000 but was relaxed to 5,000/2,000 some years ago.

So that's slightly to our advantage from a development perspective. It changes the absolute end goal of a full FL graded ground from impossible to almost impossible.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Quakerz wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:

As others have said, to be a full FL member (if it ever happens) you need 5,000 capacity including 2,000 seats.

It used to be 6,000/2,000 but was relaxed to 5,000/2,000 some years ago.

So that's slightly to our advantage from a development perspective. It changes the absolute end goal of a full FL graded ground from impossible to almost impossible.
If a FL graded ground is almost impossible at BM then signing 25 years there is madness. Unless that lease can be broken in that event... But then surely that should be decided soon or even must have been concluded already, as we're investing a lot into the ground. Surely we signed knowing we had the scope to achieve a FL ground...?

coles

Post by coles » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Not if you built a small 5k stadium on the land adjacent to the current one

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:25 pm

coles wrote:Not if you built a small 5k stadium on the land adjacent to the current one
That was what we were told was the original plan, however that's clearly been ruled out.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:32 pm

shawry wrote:
coles wrote:Not if you built a small 5k stadium on the land adjacent to the current one
That was what we were told was the original plan, however that's clearly been ruled out.
You wouldn't need to do that. If we had enough money to build a 5k stadium then we'd knock down the clubhouse and build a 2k stand with hospitality suites. Despite what has been said on here, the clubhouse is not a priceless asset that cannot be touched, it will almost certainly have to be replaced eventually. This is the only way forward. Rasiing the money to do it is the biggest hurdle.
Last edited by Yarblockos on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Is it the football club that owns the tin-shed, main stand, goals, nets, dug-outs, turnstiles etc?

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:39 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
shawry wrote:
You wouldn't need to do that. If we had enough money to build a 5k stadium then we'd knock down the clubhouse and build a 2k stand with hospitality suites. Despite what has been said on here, the clubhouse is not a priceless asset that cannot be touched, it will almost certainly have to be replaced eventually. This is the only way forward. Rasiing the money to do it is the biggest hurdle.
All this talk is pie in the sky stuff. We have a license to play. Not a lease or a partnership. Unless the rugby club want to change their relationship with the football club nothing like the above is ever going to happen.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:18 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:All this talk is pie in the sky stuff. We have a license to play. Not a lease or a partnership. Unless the rugby club want to change their relationship with the football club nothing like the above is ever going to happen.
If we only have a licence to play, how did we end up with a tin shed behind the goal and a stand at one side? Did we have to change our relationship with the rugby club to get them built and then change it back again afterwards?

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:25 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:All this talk is pie in the sky stuff. We have a license to play. Not a lease or a partnership. Unless the rugby club want to change their relationship with the football club nothing like the above is ever going to happen.
If we only have a licence to play, how did we end up with a tin shed behind the goal and a stand at one side? Did we have to change our relationship with the rugby club to get them built and then change it back again afterwards?
Thats not what he said, basically he said that if the rugby club dont want it to happen it wont.

So if they want to keep their club house, and pitch for the 2nds we are out of luck.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:34 am

shawry wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Thats not what he said, basically he said that if the rugby club dont want it to happen it wont.

So if they want to keep their club house, and pitch for the 2nds we are out of luck.

Yes, if we raised the money to build a new stand and clubhouse they would have to agree to it first. I understand that. What I am saying is that such a development has to happen if we are to stay at BM long term. If the rugby club wouldnt agree to it I guess they will end up losing their tenants. At least we have 25 years to save for a new ground!

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:47 am

shawry wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

Hopefully this has been discussed already... Or else we could have rented the arena for a few years until we raised enough money to build from scratch somewhere else. Mowden would have taken us in for the same money DRFC have... Hopefully with a sound relationship with the rugby club we can negotiate a way to achieve our end goal with the ground. Be good to know that for certain and if we do have a plan with the RFC then it'll give fans confidence to part with their hard earned... As well as any investors/sponsors etc...

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:52 am

Malcolm Cundick has said that we can build up to the 5,000 so plans must be in place and they must have been agreed with the rugby club or he would not have come out and said it. It's a question for the next AGM/Fans forum and I'm sure plans will be shown before the next fundraising. The next drive will be announced in the new year, Richard Cook said a couple of months back.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:56 am

It's a 20 year licence with low level discussion on extending already happened, I presume no details discussed just that both parties would be interested in extending.

Morden Rugby Club turned us down on at least 2 occasions, they were a little interested just recently but by then we were too far down the line with Blackwell.

Personally the Arena would have been a poor choice but I can see the advantages of the function rooms etc but Blackwell offers a better Football experience however it does have a number of areas to improve.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:11 am

The 25 year lease does concern me somewhat. It's long enough for us to spend a substantial amount of money improving the place, but it's not long enough to have a definite long term home. Obviously, 25 years is a long time, and things can change very quickly. BM was obviously necessary in the short term - we had to get back to Darlo and it was only way to do it in budget - but there is certainly some doubt at the back of my mind.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:15 am

It's only 20 year licence according to Mike Wilkinson but I think we will get this extended easily enough. It's the relationship between the two which needs to grow and once we get used to each other we should be fine.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:21 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:It's only 20 year licence according to Mike Wilkinson but I think we will get this extended easily enough. It's the relationship between the two which needs to grow and once we get used to each other we should be fine.
I hope you're right Les. I just don't want to see us spend a fortune on BM, to then be left in 20 years time to having to agree to a bad deal for us (as is rumoured now), as the rugby club will know we have no place to go.

A long term vision of how this supposed "sporting hub" will develop would be very much appreciated, and would really settle the relationship down, particularly from our fans views. It has to feel like home to us, otherwise it's not going to work. If we feel like the unwanted tenants, then eventually it will fall apart.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Remember the football foundation required to see the legal arrangements before they would match funding on Blackwell meadows. They obviously felt it was secure enough to give us the money.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:55 pm

al_quaker wrote:BM was obviously necessary in the short term - we had to get back to Darlo and it was only way to do it in budget - but there is certainly some doubt at the back of my mind.
Pretty much my point of view. A very strange arrangement on first viewing.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm

princes town wrote:
al_quaker wrote:BM was obviously necessary in the short term - we had to get back to Darlo and it was only way to do it in budget - but there is certainly some doubt at the back of my mind.
Pretty much my point of view. A very strange arrangement on first viewing.
Is it really that strange - in fact explain what is strange about the arrangement you have viewed? Remember at Bishop we got £0 from bar sales and the burger van paid a pitch fee but other than that kept all profits.

Martin Jesper repeatedly said that beer and food has a terrible mark up on it. The way we make any money is people through the gate and entry fees - and returning to Darlo absolutely boosts that.

We get the majority of car park money - but Rugby club get a chunk because they effectively paid for part of it to be built with no direct benefit to them.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:09 am

lo36789 wrote:Remember at Bishop we got £0 from bar sales
You sure about this??
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!