Halifax v Darlington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dickdarlington
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Halifax v Darlington Match Thread

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Yet another game where defensive lapses cost is the points. The second goal was a collective ballsup all round.

But yet again we walk away infuriated with the ref. I had to laugh at Beck's reaction to finally being awarded a free kick. And as for booking Thommo for being launched 10 feet in the air, words fail me.

Positives. We created a lot of chances. If we can cut out the mistakes, we're going to put another run together soon.

Feeling for Jameson. I really am. Nothing is working for him right now. I don't have an answer. He just needs to play through it. He lacks confidence at the best of times by all accounts. So this present spell will be eating him up.

Final thing. The fans. We made a right din today. Helped by the pitched roof it has to be said. And a bit by the officials getting passions up. But it was an awesome old school away day.
Last edited by dickdarlington on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:03 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Darlo just edged it, Halifax were constantly fouling which went unpunished by the ref. Gillies and Brown were the stand out players. Jameson was poor at best and should have saved both goals - bad positioning and anticipation for the first, and weak handling for the second. Great vocal following from Darlo fans. Very cold!! That sums it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should have saved a shot that took a deflection? Fair enough the second he should have done better with but unfortunately we now have a recurring theme of people jumping on every perceived error by Jameson even when they are talking bollocks. Even heard one bloke have a go today when Jameson punched a corner that was far too high to try and catch, saying he should have kept hold of it.
Fair enough, criticise when its due (i.e. the second goal, even though the outfield players made as big a mess of things) but to criticise when its not due is just uncalled for.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Unfortunately the knives are now out for Jameson and everything he's doing is being analysed. Having got to know Pete a little he struggles with confidence at the best of times so this run and the subsequent moans will be hurting him massively and the risk is that it just continues into a downward spiral which wrecks his Darlo career.

I don't think playing injured helped him earlier in the season and whilst he returned well after recovering, the sending off against Telford seems to have been the catalyst for him being low on confidence again.

Ideally you'd take him out of the firing line for a few games but because of squad constraints we can't do that and the lad from Hartlepool was certainly nowhere near him. The lad Woolston who looked decent and could fill in for a while is still at Blyth, and even then we still leaked goals when he was playing.

As a keeper it doesn't matter how good you are or what level you play at, at times you'll have a dip in form and benefit from some time out, it doesn't make you a bad keeper

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Undercovered wrote:Unfortunately the knives are now out for Jameson and everything he's doing is being analysed. Having got to know Pete a little he struggles with confidence at the best of times so this run and the subsequent moans will be hurting him massively and the risk is that it just continues into a downward spiral which wrecks his Darlo career.

I don't think playing injured helped him earlier in the season and whilst he returned well after recovering, the sending off against Telford seems to have been the catalyst for him being low on confidence again.

Ideally you'd take him out of the firing line for a few games but because of squad constraints we can't do that and the lad from Hartlepool was certainly nowhere near him. The lad Woolston who looked decent and could fill in for a while is still at Blyth, and even then we still leaked goals when he was playing.

As a keeper it doesn't matter how good you are or what level you play at, at times you'll have a dip in form and benefit from some time out, it doesn't make you a bad keeper
well said :thumbup:

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:59 pm

Jameson needs taking out the firing line asap , for his own good !

He hasn't moved for the first goal, and as for the second - yeah the outfield players messed up several times before him, but that is what a keeper is there for. If all outfield players were perfect the keeper would never have anything to do.

This isn't joining in a witch hunt, this is protecting a player. The lad needs a few weeks away from the spotlight.
Think before posting

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:08 pm

bga wrote:
What I dislike about short corners is it means we are always going to be outnumbered in the box or on the edge of the penalty area.
Short corners take 2 defenders out of the box and 1 attacker (the taker will always be out there) so it actually does the opposite.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:10 pm

The mysterious deflection!

I never saw it at the time, others never saw it, I can't see it on the highlights and Gregan never spotted it - but says some of the players saw it come off Marrs.

Shame there's no behind the goal footage re Halifax's first.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:13 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:The mysterious deflection!

I never saw it at the time, others never saw it, I can't see it on the highlights and Gregan never spotted it - but says some of the players saw it come off Marrs.

It's irrelevant, the goal went in, the game is over whether it was deflected or not. Jameson will know whether he should have saved it or not. No decision on his future will be taken based on one shot.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:36 pm

Undercovered wrote:Unfortunately the knives are now out for Jameson and everything he's doing is being analysed. Having got to know Pete a little he struggles with confidence at the best of times so this run and the subsequent moans will be hurting him massively and the risk is that it just continues into a downward spiral which wrecks his Darlo career.

Pretty much spot on, he needs our support not our moaning

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:36 pm

Well considering the players said it took a deflection I would take their word for it especially since none of them have tried to defend him for the error on the 2nd goal.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 pm

The first goal took a slight deflection off Marrs, 100%.

As for people having a go at PJ, I disagree. Considering the very poor run of form he's been in - which lets be honest is well below what's required - seems to me the vast majority are sticking right with him. On the other hand there's a few trying to defend the indefensible. Noble as that is the guy has made some clear errors so no point trying to deny that.

I hope he can recover, he's been with us a long time and is a popular player.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:49 pm

Right in line with it, took a slight deflection so cannot really blame Jameson for that goal but should have saved the 2nd as he got both hands to it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:19 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Right in line with it, took a slight deflection so cannot really blame Jameson for that goal but should have saved the 2nd as he got both hands to it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
https://twitter.com/davidpreece12/statu ... 1153955840

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:40 am

m62exile wrote:The first goal took a slight deflection off Marrs, 100%.

As for people having a go at PJ, I disagree. Considering the very poor run of form he's been in - which lets be honest is well below what's required - seems to me the vast majority are sticking right with him. On the other hand there's a few trying to defend the indefensible. Noble as that is the guy has made some clear errors so no point trying to deny that.

I hope he can recover, he's been with us a long time and is a popular player.
Well, I hope he can recover too, it would be the best outcome. But I'm not sure how its going to happen, maybe by some miracle he'll suddenly find form, that seems to be most people's approach. He can be given more time, but I guess that depends on how seriously we take our promotion effort and what standards of performance we expect from our players etc.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:12 am

Referee was incredibly poor today, I think it would have taken someone being dismembered for him to blow for a free kick in the first half.
I thought we were much the better team but we looked vulnerable to the counter attack especially when their no 10 was involved so was happy with the point.
Very impressed with Gillies and Brown today.

I have not been able to get to too many games in the last few years but it struck me today how impressive it is that there are still players who came to us in the Northern League who are now doing well three divisions higher. The likes of Brown, Scott, Galbraith and Thompson are Darlo legends.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:21 am

loan_star wrote:

Well considering the players said it took a deflection I would take their word for it especially since none of them have tried to defend him for the error on the 2nd goal.
I was sat right in line with the shot and didn't see a deflection. If there was a mystery deflection then Jameson was too far off his line to adjust his position and make the save.

I appreciate that people want to support him and I feel for him, but it's a competitive environment and if people aren't up to scratch then MG will / should replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:51 am

A deflection occurred that's the way it was also Marrs would of made Jameson unsighted, it's not about simply supporting him it's about being critical when it's due. Should he have saved the 2nd one and also both on boxing day then yes, the first one yesterday isn't a mystery deflection just because you didn't see it.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:24 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:A deflection occurred that's the way it was also Marrs would of made Jameson unsighted, it's not about simply supporting him it's about being critical when it's due. Should he have saved the 2nd one and also both on boxing day then yes, the first one yesterday isn't a mystery deflection just because you didn't see it.
Its not like Marrs was 2 foot infront of him though is it. Marrs was just inside the area, and Jameson was inside the 6 yard box, plenty of time to see the ball and at least dive for it, the deflection might have meant he wouldnt have been able to reach it, however with his run of form, just standing there and watching it go in is going to invite criticism.

3 of the last 4 goals we have conceded he should have saved, and the other he should have made an effort for.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:25 am

Jameson could really do with being taken out of the team for a few weeks. A few games in the reserves with less pressure would be an ideal chance to regain some confidence in his (undoubted) ability - and is surely one of the reasons we wanted a reserve team. The second was another error, but if the first was deflected then it's a bit of bad luck come at the worse time (with regards to his confidence).

Who could replace him is a different question. Halifax managed to get a very solid looking keeper on loan from Port Vale yesterday, but the lad we had from Hartlepool didn't look great, and if there is nobody better than him available to us then we will simply have to hope Jameson recovers soon, for his benefit as much as ours.

Radar

Post by Radar » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:30 am

Lots and lots of positives for me yesterday.

Opening 15minutes we didn't really have a kick and Halifax came out of the blocks on fire, most notibly their right winger who I'm told is a Stockton lad. Enter Gary Brown who smashed MacDonald right in front of the dugout and that quietness the young lad for the remainder of the game. It was at this point we started to get a foothold on the game and without bias, we we far and away the better team, playing much more structured football.

Jameson has been a great servant for us and I don't like knocking any player when they're going through a bad patch but in the two games against Halifax, he has been heavily at fault for all 4 goals they have scored.

New keeper needed if we are to have any chance of sustaining a place in the playoffs.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:54 am

al_quaker wrote:Jameson could really do with being taken out of the team for a few weeks. A few games in the reserves with less pressure would be an ideal chance to regain some confidence in his (undoubted) ability - and is surely one of the reasons we wanted a reserve team. The second was another error, but if the first was deflected then it's a bit of bad luck come at the worse time (with regards to his confidence).

Who could replace him is a different question. Halifax managed to get a very solid looking keeper on loan from Port Vale yesterday, but the lad we had from Hartlepool didn't look great, and if there is nobody better than him available to us then we will simply have to hope Jameson recovers soon, for his benefit as much as ours.
The problem is, its much easier for an outfield player to play through a loss of form and confidence, a keeper has nowhere to hide, and usually the confidence continues to drain resulting in even worse mistakes.

We need a loan keeper quickly and as you say, Jameson in the less pressured environment of the reserves where he is under less pressure.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:01 am

Radar wrote:Lots and lots of positives for me yesterday.

Opening 15minutes we didn't really have a kick and Halifax came out of the blocks on fire, most notibly their right winger who I'm told is a Stockton lad. Enter Gary Brown who smashed MacDonald right in front of the dugout and that quietness the young lad for the remainder of the game. It was at this point we started to get a foothold on the game and without bias, we we far and away the better team, playing much more structured football.

Jameson has been a great servant for us and I don't like knocking any player when they're going through a bad patch but in the two games against Halifax, he has been heavily at fault for all 4 goals they have scored.

New keeper needed if we are to have any chance of sustaining a place in the playoffs.
It's quite clear some fans have the knives out for Jameson.

Every move he makes will be scrutinised, every mistake he makes pounced upon. As Loan_Star said elsewhere, Jameson's now getting criticised for things that he's doing correctly. The fans getting on his back are doing just as much damage to his confidence than the mistakes he's made.

But I just don't understand who else people want us to get in.

Why would say a young keeper on loan from Middlesbrough or Sunderland, with little to zero first team experience, be any better? What if they began making mistakes?

And once again, our defensive problems and lack of clean sheets go beyond just the keeper. Even if we did replace Jameson (which would be a backward step), it's not going to solve our defensive frailties.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:12 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Radar wrote:Lots and lots of positives for me yesterday.

It's quite clear some fans have the knives out for Jameson.

Every move he makes will be scrutinised, every mistake he makes pounced upon. As Loan_Star said elsewhere, Jameson's now getting criticised for things that he's doing correctly. The fans getting on his back are doing just as much damage to his confidence than the mistakes he's made.

But I just don't understand who else people want us to get in.

Why would say a young keeper on loan from Middlesbrough or Sunderland, with little to zero first team experience, be any better? What if they began making mistakes?

And once again, our defensive problems and lack of clean sheets go beyond just the keeper. Even if we did replace Jameson (which would be a backward step), it's not going to solve our defensive frailties.
We replace him temporarily, you're right it won't solve our defensive frailties however I've not heard anyone defend 3 of the 4 goals conceded against Halifax.

He needs a break, even if it's a break from the criticisms of the fans, as otherwise I can't see how his confidence can improve.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:47 am

If there is a better goalkeeper available than Jameson then we would have brought someone in when he was injured / suspended.

You cannot blame him for Halifax's first goal yesterday. Anybody saying that is just trying to prove a point against him.

I cannot see what benefit taking him out of the team will do for him and our defence. Let's stick with him and a couple of good performances will bring that confidence back.

Yes, sometimes you tend to make more mistakes when you are under pressure, but a lot of the time the best way of getting out of a rut is to put in a few solid performances (which I have every confidence that he will do).

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:13 pm

We conceded more goals per game without Jameson in fewer games than we have with him in a lot more games. Yet people think he's the problem?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:19 pm

loan_star wrote:We conceded more goals per game without Jameson in fewer games than we have with him in a lot more games. Yet people think he's the problem?
I certainly don't think he's the only problem we have defensively, but he's been making some very basic errors recently. The poor lad looked shot of confidence yesterday, so, if a decent standard keeper is available, I would be in favour of taking him out of the firing line. Gray is paid to make the decisions though (when he's about...), so if he think's it's best to keep him in, or if he thinks he can't get a competent keeper in on loan, then we stick with Jameson and he should have everyone's full support.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Seems like the 577away fans count was shy of a couple of hundred,thought that there was around 750/850. At least 1000, more on the gate than a normal gate looking through stats for Halifax.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:33 pm

In an ideal world we could take him out of the firing line.

However, there isn't a ready made temporary replacement and as supporters we need to build him back up not knock him down.

The is currently far more with our defending, particularly with the ball and runners breaking through our midfield, than Jameson's goalkeeping.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:50 pm

onewayup wrote:Seems like the 577away fans count was shy of a couple of hundred,thought that there was around 750/850. At least 1000, more on the gate than a normal gate looking through stats for Halifax.
Halifax's crowds have consistently been about a 1000 and they have been on a poor run of form. so I think we took more than what they said.

As far as Jameson goes, every match he plays is going to be super analysed and people are going to jump on every mistake he makes, were as before it wasn't a big think if he made a mistake. Gray has to decide if Jameson has the mental strength to fight through this and if he doesn't think he can, he'll have to bring in some help for Jameson before next weekend.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:00 pm

The game yesterday started probably how we didn't want it to with a number of challenges, early chances for Halifax and a goal from Morgan. It was a full-blooded start and you do wonder how the Halifax fans would have reacted had it been quiet in the opening exchanges given how unhappy the majority are with the current set-up.

I think we more than matched Halifax and our work-rate and determination was better than theirs.

A word for the referee who was absolutely appalling. How ironic that the only cards shown all game were for dissent and diving, given the hefty challenges being put in. The decision to give a free-kick against Brown for his challenge was a joke, McDonald was straight back up.

I thought that the challenges on Marrs (follow through) and Turnbull (rake down the ankle) were bad. The first wasn't even a foul according to the referee and he only played advantage on the Turnbull challenge once he heard the uproar from the crowd.

Hone made 6 or 7 fouls all game (including pushing Beck in the face) and was booked for an off the ball incident with Beck. Speaking of Hone, he hasn't changed since we had him on loan during the 2010/2011 season, head like to 50 pence piece and toblerone feet.

I don't know what it is, but the standard of refereeing this season has been worse than poor (generally speaking).

Overall I thought our defence dealt with a lot of pressure well (telling that our last 4 goals conceded have been outside the box?). Two centre halfs were quite impressive.