The home of DFC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The home of DFC

Post by jjljks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Still think we could have salvaged the temporary seating from HP and stuck it up at the far end as per HP. Anything is better than nothing and it would help with the occasional visitors who want a seat.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:43 pm

jjljks wrote:Still think we could have salvaged the temporary seating from HP and stuck it up at the far end as per HP. Anything is better than nothing and it would help with the occasional visitors who want a seat.
Trouble is, it costs money to move them and set them up. Ideally, we would have them at BM, even if they don't count towards the ground grading. Initial thoughts are it would be the cost of a couple of guys with spanners, and a few transit vans. Sadly with H&C, it's a bit more complicated than that these days...

I would expect them to be moved when we can, or utilised for parts (lots of seats we can use there, plus steel and so on), or sold to part fund the next phase of development. Trouble is, we've spent every penny we've raised getting the ground to the standard it is, and to get it ready for step A we need to dig deep again. Additionally, we're not entitled to any more FSIF money until we're promoted again.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:04 pm

loan_star wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
quaker4life wrote:
People seem to have very, very short memories DRFC accomadated us brilliantly by not using the pitch until after we moved in and moving their first team home games onto Monday nights to avoid clashing with our Saturday games.

I'm highly confident (with respect) that this would not have happened with DMP at the Arena, if we both had a home game on the same day it would be us playing on the Monday night's and them on the Saturday.
Is it not part of FA rules for groundshares that football takes precedence over other sports?
I believe this is the case. One problem with a share with Mowden would be that their league rules say the same, they have to have priority on fixtures.
OK cheers

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:15 pm

al_quaker wrote:
loan_star wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
quaker4life wrote:
People seem to have very, very short memories DRFC accomadated us brilliantly by not using the pitch until after we moved in and moving their first team home games onto Monday nights to avoid clashing with our Saturday games.

I'm highly confident (with respect) that this would not have happened with DMP at the Arena, if we both had a home game on the same day it would be us playing on the Monday night's and them on the Saturday.
Is it not part of FA rules for groundshares that football takes precedence over other sports?
I believe this is the case. One problem with a share with Mowden would be that their league rules say the same, they have to have priority on fixtures.
OK cheers
As pointed out by someone before, other football / rugby shares have happened with clubs at higher levels than ours / Mowdens so there clearly is a some way around that.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Makka Pakka wrote: As pointed out by someone before, other football / rugby shares have happened with clubs at higher levels than ours / Mowdens so there clearly is a some way around that.
A lot of these clubs play fewer games a season and have games moved for TV etc but with a bit of planning it can be done. Mind you the pitch at the arena was bad enough when we just played football on it.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:20 pm

dickdarlington wrote:
jjljks wrote:Still think we could have salvaged the temporary seating from HP and stuck it up at the far end as per HP. Anything is better than nothing and it would help with the occasional visitors who want a seat.
Trouble is, it costs money to move them and set them up. Ideally, we would have them at BM, even if they don't count towards the ground grading. Initial thoughts are it would be the cost of a couple of guys with spanners, and a few transit vans. Sadly with H&C, it's a bit more complicated than that these days...

I would expect them to be moved when we can, or utilised for parts (lots of seats we can use there, plus steel and so on), or sold to part fund the next phase of development. Trouble is, we've spent every penny we've raised getting the ground to the standard it is, and to get it ready for step A we need to dig deep again. Additionally, we're not entitled to any more FSIF money until we're promoted again.
Rumour is they will be moved from HP to BM if we make the playoffs, some reason it's suggested that if we make the playoffs we need more seats. Not sure why this is different to a league game or if we just have to offer half the seats or something to our opponents and we want enough but it did seem to be worded that we have to have more seats.

The cost will wipe out any revenue from a playoff semi final but we would have the seats at BM then. Time will tell and lets get in the playoffs and then worry about it from a fans point of view, pretty sure it's already in discussion at board level.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:42 pm

loan_star wrote:Talk of the grass bank at Bishop is also misleading as this shouldn't have been used for standing. Yes I know it was but the authorities could easily have had it fenced off and then things would be a lot worse than they are at Blackwell.
Spot on. And, it came close to happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:42 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:

Rumour is they will be moved from HP to BM if we make the playoffs, some reason it's suggested that if we make the playoffs we need more seats. Not sure why this is different to a league game or if we just have to offer half the seats or something to our opponents and we want enough but it did seem to be worded that we have to have more seats.

The cost will wipe out any revenue from a playoff semi final but we would have the seats at BM then. Time will tell and lets get in the playoffs and then worry about it from a fans point of view, pretty sure it's already in discussion at board level.
Bigger away crowd I'd guess

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:38 am

dickdarlington wrote: .... Additionally, we're not entitled to any more FSIF money until we're promoted again.

I believe you can't apply for funding until 5 years have passed since the previous application irrespective of division you are in ( save for funding for CCTV etc if you are promoted to the Football League

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:43 am

spen666 wrote:
dickdarlington wrote: .... Additionally, we're not entitled to any more FSIF money until we're promoted again.

I believe you can't apply for funding until 5 years have passed since the previous application irrespective of division you are in ( save for funding for CCTV etc if you are promoted to the Football League
You believe wrong then.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:31 am

Undercovered wrote:
spen666 wrote:

You believe wrong then.
Actually we are both right and both wrong....

There is a 5 year rule, but the limit for Steps 1 Grants is £400k and Step 2 its £250k

So assuming Darlington had maximum £250k grant this season and were promoted, the maximum grant they could get would be £150k if promoted as the £250k already received (or whatever amount they have previously claimed) in last 5 years is deducted from amount available

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 am

Yes, I knew that, hence why I said you were wrong, we already increased our grant once when we were promoted from NLP to National North

Darlo1235

Post by Darlo1235 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 am

So wonder how much it will cost to extend the seats and put a stand at the open end but obviously wouldn't be the whole length. Then more turnstiles and a toilet block

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:28 am

It will be interesting to see what happens when the club reach the football league as the rules allow for maximum grant of £750k less and grants received since 1990.

I am sure the FSIF will say any grants between 1990 and 2012 must be considered as it is the same club

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:11 pm

spen666 wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens when the club reach the football league as the rules allow for maximum grant of £750k less and grants received since 1990.

I am sure the FSIF will say any grants between 1990 and 2012 must be considered as it is the same club
Because I am sure that will be the same in 2030. They will almost certainly keep an arbitrary year of 1990 without any reflection or consideration of inflation rate or time elapsed.
spen666 wrote:So assuming Darlington had maximum £250k grant this season and were promoted
Why assume that? the grants are limited by the funding you match I am pretty confident that the BM upgrade did not cost half a million.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:27 pm

BM cost IRO £500K

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:42 pm

I thought we were eligible for additional sources of funding as BM is a 'sports hub' used by the town, rather than just a football stadium.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Council hasn't got any enough funds for Crown Street Library, so am not holding my breath for the 'sports hub' funding.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:11 am

Do you think the rugby club could invest in 4 bits of string for each game? If there is the slightest bit of wind, then the ropes of the side of the goal posts vibrate and make a racket at both ends. It sounds like someone is using a road drill on a nearby road. I've heard quite a few people say can you hear that drill and they didn't realise it was the ropes that was causing the problem. A simple bit of string round each goal post would resolve this issue.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:23 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Do you think the rugby club could invest in 4 bits of string for each game? If there is the slightest bit of wind, then the ropes of the side of the goal posts vibrate and make a racket at both ends. It sounds like someone is using a road drill on a nearby road. I've heard quite a few people say can you hear that drill and they didn't realise it was the ropes that was causing the problem. A simple bit of string round each goal post would resolve this issue.
Absolutely agree, the rugby club should pay for string regardless of whether or not the use the goals or not.

We're skint.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Pete, why don't you take four pieces of string along and volunteer to sort it?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Do you think the rugby club could invest in 4 bits of string for each game? If there is the slightest bit of wind, then the ropes of the side of the goal posts vibrate and make a racket at both ends. It sounds like someone is using a road drill on a nearby road. I've heard quite a few people say can you hear that drill and they didn't realise it was the ropes that was causing the problem. A simple bit of string round each goal post would resolve this issue.

String ?? That sounds a bit 1973.

I've heard the road drill sound, and must admit that I thought it was -- a road drill!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Well you won't hear it on Monday as Pete will be there early with his ball of twine.

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:31 am

I'm late to this very long STRING of posts but believe that the overall SIGNS are good from what I've heard most of you say most recently. As some are pointing out, it does seem that things can't be that bad if the sound of air blowing past the goal netting is on the agenda of things that need solving.

For my part I'm still getting familiar with our new surroundings at BM, but more than anything the thing that always makes me leave the ground in a better frame of mind are the results and seeing a great game of football. All the other stuff is nice to have but I think more people will turn up to see a winning side over everything else every time. Sure the state of the pitch has had a negative impact on flowing football, but as was seen last Saturday, if you have the players, they can play around the problems and still produce moments of magic.

And on the issue of the rugby club's relations with DFC and its fans, I have never found anything negative in my match day experience that I can place at the door of the rugby club. Indeed I had reason to want to call in at BM during last week on a non playing day and received a very warm and helpful reception. Things appear to be good and can only get better as we get more familiar with our new home.