Time wasting Goalkeepers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Time wasting Goalkeepers

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:51 am

It's really starting to wind me up this, why can't refs take action?

This week and last week we've witnessed opposition goal keepers on a wind up - winding me up anyway.

Yesterday - here are the thoughts of the Gloucester keeper every time the ball disappeared deep into the cavernous, ball person free corner behind the corner flag.

'hmmmm toodly doodle pip, the ball has rolled into the corner, I wonder who's going to fetch it back to me? Am I expected to get it? Wow! I'll just stroll on down to the corner/slowly pick the ball up/slowly walk back up/but if the Ref is looking, put on one of those stupid slow jogs that purports to look like a run but really is probably slower than a walk. Then place the ball slowly down/rearrange it/rearrange it again/then slowly walk back to my goalpost and knock my studs against said post/then have a little think about what's for tea/then have a little think about where I'm going to kick the ball. Then kick it'

This happened multiple times in the first half, and is a great time wasting ploy because Refs never add time on at half time, and we might be talking 3 possibly 4 minutes of not playing football - just watching a goal keeper mess about.

And the same thing happened last week too! Against Nuneaton.

Refs could deal with all of this simply by having a word - then acting on that word if time wasting continues.

Finally, what's the difference between wasting time in the first half and wasting time in the second half? It's all counts the same way to me, up to 90.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

dfcgh

Re: Time wasting Goalkeepers

Post by dfcgh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:56 am

Wasn't there 2 mins added time at the end of the first half?

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:59 am

We could do with some more ball boys, there's a lot more dead space behind the goals at BM, another one at each corner would help a lot.

dfcgh

Post by dfcgh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:03 am

But I agree referees need to get yellow cards out earlier to stop the time wasting. Nuneatons time wasting tactics were ridiculous

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:03 am

Agreed - I was going to mention this in the match thread. The last 2 home games have seen both opposition goalkeepers take stupidly long on both goal-kicks, free-kicks and kicking from general play.

Yesterday resulted in a ball-boy being placed behind their goal in the first-half.

I could be wrong but I think that the rule is 6 seconds that a 'keeper can hold the ball, but yesterday and last week it was 10+ seconds for a lot of the time.

And the amount of play-acting we've seen recently has been ridiculous.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:06 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:It's really starting to wind me up this, why can't refs take action?

This week and last week we've witnessed opposition goal keepers on a wind up - winding me up anyway.

Yesterday - here are the thoughts of the Gloucester keeper every time the ball disappeared deep into the cavernous, ball person free corner behind the corner flag.

'hmmmm toodly doodle pip, the ball has rolled into the corner, I wonder who's going to fetch it back to me? Am I expected to get it? Wow! I'll just stroll on down to the corner/slowly pick the ball up/slowly walk back up/but if the Ref is looking, put on one of those stupid slow jogs that purports to look like a run but really is probably slower than a walk. Then place the ball slowly down/rearrange it/rearrange it again/then slowly walk back to my goalpost and knock my studs against said post/then have a little think about what's for tea/then have a little think about where I'm going to kick the ball. Then kick it'

This happened multiple times in the first half, and is a great time wasting ploy because Refs never add time on at half time, and we might be talking 3 possibly 4 minutes of not playing football - just watching a goal keeper mess about.

And the same thing happened last week too! Against Nuneaton.

Refs could deal with all of this simply by having a word - then acting on that word if time wasting continues.

Finally, what's the difference between wasting time in the first half and wasting time in the second half? It's all counts the same way to me, up to 90.
It's our own fault. I've rarely seen a goalkeeper have to walk so far to collect the ball as they do at BM. We are crying out for ballkids. In the second half we had one ballkid behind each goal with a ball, which I think was on MG's instruction, and this certainly helped. Mind you, as soon as we scored the ballkids were told to give the balls back, so we don't mind timewasting a bit ourselves! I'm just amazed we don't have ballkids, or so very few, did the cold weather scare them off?

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:19 am

Part and parcel of the game these days. I presume you don't see many away games where Jameson is generally king of timewasting

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:30 am

From what I remember a ball is generally in play for about 62/64 minutes of the 90 and whilst 6 seconds is the 'rule' it's generally left to discretion and as long as it is <14seconds then it is unlikely to really be actioned on.

Bout managing the event not the black and white of law.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:08 pm

dfcgh wrote:Wasn't there 2 mins added time at the end of the first half?
There probably were but, but I reckon that will be for all the other stuff - goalie time wasting would add more.
Undercovered wrote:Part and parcel of the game these days. I presume you don't see many away games where Jameson is generally king of timewasting
I didn't notice this at Halifax, where both sides seemed to be up and at it.
lo36789 wrote:From what I remember a ball is generally in play for about 62/64 minutes of the 90 and whilst 6 seconds is the 'rule' it's generally left to discretion and as long as it is <14seconds then it is unlikely to really be actioned on.

Bout managing the event not the black and white of law.
I'm not on about the 6 second rule where goalies kick out of their hands - it's the endless pissing about not getting set up for a goal kick that's annoying.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:14 pm

I don't know why the club doesn't come to an arrangement with Spraire Lads, All Stars, Middleton Rangers etc and say send one of your teams down. The kids get in free and an accompanying adult gets in half price. Just need one team per home game and it gets the young kids interested in watching Darlo too.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:16 pm

loan_star wrote:I don't know why the club doesn't come to an arrangement with Spraire Lads, All Stars, Middleton Rangers etc and say send one of your teams down. The kids get in free and an accompanying adult gets in half price. Just need one team per home game and it gets the young kids interested in watching Darlo too.
We already do this each game but I assume they must then watch the game with their families rather than earn their keep :lol:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 pm

loan_star wrote:I don't know why the club doesn't come to an arrangement with Spraire Lads, All Stars, Middleton Rangers etc and say send one of your teams down. The kids get in free and an accompanying adult gets in half price. Just need one team per home game and it gets the young kids interested in watching Darlo too.
For the second half, there were more ball boys/girls appearing than in the first half. Unfortunately most were behind the goal and we need more on the sidelines. Time wasting has always happened by keepers. Not unexpectedly their keeper did seem to speed up considerably once they'd fallen behind. :lol:

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:12 pm

[quote="theoriginalfatcat"]It's really starting to wind me up this, why can't refs take action?

I agree entirely with this post. Couldn't have written it better. Nuneaton's goalkeeper was booked; Gloucester's got away with it. This procrastination slows the flow of the game and spoils it for spectators. Not only that, but yesterday I thought the linesman was well placed to kick the ball back but he stuck rigidly to his line with the customary po-faced expression that linesmen seem to adopt. Is there some rule that stops them helping out? I don't want to pay to watch this messing about. This goalkeeping fiasco really gets my goat.
The only thing coming out of yesterday to give me any satisfaction was the goals video afterwards, showing the look on the keeper's face while he was sat on his behind in the mud after Phil Turnbull scored.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Not only that, but yesterday I thought the linesman was well placed to kick the ball back but he stuck rigidly to his line with the customary po-faced expression that linesmen seem to adopt. Is there some rule that stops them helping out?
No rule. But their assessment mark would probably take such a battering they won't have to worry about making the same mistake next season.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Feethams 1966 wrote:Not only that, but yesterday I thought the linesman was well placed to kick the ball back but he stuck rigidly to his line with the customary po-faced expression that linesmen seem to adopt. Is there some rule that stops them helping out?
No rule. But their assessment mark would probably take such a battering they won't have to worry about making the same mistake next season.
Why would it be frowned upon to actively take steps to stop a clearly time wasting goalkeeper? I could understand that he couldn't run to get the ball, but the ball went right by his foot at one stage - he wouldn't have had to move. Genuinely interested.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:09 pm

It also looked like we adopted a hybrid multi-ball system. Behind the goals seems to be the most obvious place to locate the ball-boys we have. I suspect the youth teams that come to BM should be encouraged to do this as part of the package.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:16 pm

As far as I am aware, there is no rule that says a goalkeeper must run when he goes to collect the ball. We've made a rod for our own back by not having ballkids in the corner. Given our league position, most teams we play will want to slow the game down as much as possible. We've given goalkeepers the opportunity to take as long as they like and unsurprisingly they do. It's so easily solved as well, the second half placement of ballkids looked a good solution. Basically, we don't need referees to start clamping down for the first time in history or linesman to kick the ball back, we just need ballkids!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:29 pm

al_quaker wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Why would it be frowned upon to actively take steps to stop a clearly time wasting goalkeeper? I could understand that he couldn't run to get the ball, but the ball went right by his foot at one stage - he wouldn't have had to move. Genuinely interested.
If you kick it back and it hits a member of the crowd / a player then it's a situation best avoided.

Also the fact is some smart ass in the crowd will start jeering as you kick it back and again it's attention and just an event that can be avoided.

Ask why refs aren't allowed to wear underarmour which is visible beneath their shirt (collar or long sleeves under short sleeves). The FA even have standards around hair style, facial hair, suit colour, tie design...it's part of a consistent 'brand'

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 pm

I said at the game that if someone would let me over the fence I'd of done the ball boy duties

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Frankly, with the quality of play on view yesterday, i was quite happy when the ball wasn't in play.