Club accounts

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Club accounts

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:22 pm

Undercovered wrote:Purchases could relate to anything, for instance stock bought for QR etc
Purchases is for Quaker Retail from what I can see and also matches up with Retail & Merchandise income about 2/3rds, which is spot on for what we make which is about 1/3 on sales.

Transfer Fee's Received £11,583 is what we paid out and signing on fees of £24,000 is what we paid out which includes Brown & Hardy, also Turnbull signing on fee and any others.

In all honesty when you look at other costs it just shows how much it costs to run a club at this level. We spent 18.5k on rent and 18.7k on travel expenses, over 6k just on player registration.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:36 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Undercovered wrote:Purchases could relate to anything, for instance stock bought for QR etc
Purchases is for Quaker Retail from what I can see and also matches up with Retail & Merchandise income about 2/3rds, which is spot on for what we make which is about 1/3 on sales.

Transfer Fee's Received £11,583 is what we paid out and signing on fees of £24,000 is what we paid out which includes Brown & Hardy, also Turnbull signing on fee and any others.

In all honesty when you look at other costs it just shows how much it costs to run a club at this level. We spent 18.5k on rent and 18.7k on travel expenses, over 6k just on player registration.
SLM Not being funny but how can "Transfer Fee's Received £11,583 is what we paid out" be correct don't you mean "What we received" or am I totally missing the point? This item is shown under the Turnover heading so has to equal income doesn't it?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Gow9900 wrote: My priorities moving forward would be:

- Develop Blackwell more, plans will be in place but we need to develop the ground to make it a better experience for supporters.
- Build up the sponsorship/corporate income. This will take time as trust has been completely destroyed numerous times by the administrations, but things such as the Virgin deal show that the reputation is being slowly repaired.
- Look at setting targets and achieving a certain number of season ticket holders, being pro-active in the town and promoting the club. We do this better than we did when we were full time, with our use of social media, the fantastic highlights packages that Kev Luff does etc etc, but we have a long way to go.
Very good points.

Whilst I want to win every game (that's the point) if we don't get promotion I will accept the positives that this allows us time to build the club up.

Seen the Halifax away programme showing which games were sponsored and match ball etc. for the season, quite a good thing as it reminds you which games are covered and also which business supported the club. Something we should implement.

How we increase our sponsorship next season is massive, also ST sales, shirt sales and a general buzz if we can get one going. Probably not possible if the pitch work happens but a home friendly or two would be good, don't need a big team, York first team would be great.

The clubs first full season back in the town and we now need to market ourselves back to the town in terms of fans and also in terms of business sponsorship, how we do this will be a challenge.

Blackwell needs more seats asap, one rumour is that the temp seats may be on the way from HP to the open end behind the goal. However we need another 300 covered seats next to the current one, only concern is how we pay. I don't think we should go down the 500 club route again as I think it is having an effect on our revenue too much, the DFCSG share scheme is probably the best way again although still a cost to this and over more years.

Whatever happens a poor run of form this season is a minor issue when you think where we have come from, we have a club at a very competitive level and we will get stronger.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 pm

bga wrote:

SLM Not being funny but how can "Transfer Fee's Received £11,583 is what we paid out" be correct don't you mean "What we received" or am I totally missing the point? This item is shown under the Turnover heading so has to equal income doesn't it?
No you're not being funny but it's just a mind blank as I am writing the £11,583 is what we received the £24k is what we paid out, how I read the accounts.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Without an in depth explanation I guess we just don't know for certain, but it still strikes me as odd we received that much for players who left the club in that period. I could not attend the AGM so voted by Proxy would be interesting to know what was discussed at the AGM other than what we already know, which is the outcome of all the Resolutions that were voted on. Oh well soon be time for this years accounts!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Quakerz wrote:Well, you know, we are trying to compete with the likes of Spennymoor who seem to be able to offer better wages to the likes of Chandler, Ramshaw, Curtis, Craddock and any number of other players in previous seasons...
Some Spenny fans would probably get a shock if they accepted what it costs to run the team at the level/standard they currently are. Largely due to themoney rolling around in the NE where you can get a very decent pay packet in the NL without the travel hassle which pushes up prices for players playing outside the NL in the NE.

Even looking at things on a cheap side they will be spending 140k on players/management, travel costs will be similar to ours 15k, then all the other things like player signing on fees/transfers, player reg, upkeep of Brewery field, training facility costs. I would imagine they are spending at least 200k a year and that's being conservative at the level they are (squad quality etc.).

Blyth are probably in a similar boat although possibly pay a little less, but other costs will be the same.

No wonder the cup run is what a lot of teams go for, just a shame we can't get a cup win never mind a cup run.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:09 pm

A couple of snippets from the AGM:

Richard Cook said he would rather we bought a 50/50 ticket than a pint of beer (there's a clue to our share of the bar take).
He also said that it is costing more to stage a game at BM, but this situation could improve if our volunteer pool of stewards could be increased.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:14 pm

bga wrote:Without an in depth explanation I guess we just don't know for certain, but it still strikes me as odd we received that much for players who left the club in that period. I could not attend the AGM so voted by Proxy would be interesting to know what was discussed at the AGM other than what we already know, which is the outcome of all the Resolutions that were voted on. Oh well soon be time for this years accounts!
Brown transfer to Shildon is in there not sure about any others or if we got any consolidation payments for ex loan players etc. I am guessing no one went into this detail at the AGM.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:18 pm

wizardofos wrote:A couple of snippets from the AGM:

Richard Cook said he would rather we bought a 50/50 ticket than a pint of beer (there's a clue to our share of the bar take).
He also said that it is costing more to stage a game at BM, but this situation could improve if our volunteer pool of stewards could be increased.
Sounds similar to what I was told about the costs of the security firm and traffic management that the council insist we have, which are quite high and negating some extra income into the club. No doubt the traffic management is needed at the moment, shame we never got the one way in separate road out as it may have reduced the need for traffic management but costs for everything are high.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:21 pm

I'll remember the 50/50 ticket. Maybe the traffic management problems may not be so significant in the future if we keep performing like Saturday!

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:23 pm

bga wrote:Without an in depth explanation I guess we just don't know for certain, but it still strikes me as odd we received that much for players who left the club in that period. I could not attend the AGM so voted by Proxy would be interesting to know what was discussed at the AGM other than what we already know, which is the outcome of all the Resolutions that were voted on. Oh well soon be time for this years accounts!
Brown transfer to Shildon is in there not sure about any others or if we got any consolidation payments for ex loan players etc. I am guessing no one went into this detail at the AGM.
OK thanks for info. time I shut up about this now maybe.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Bringing in temporary seats would be good, although what has struck me over the last two games is the number of empty seats there are. There must have been around 40-50 empty seats on Saturday. As these are all season ticket holders, are they not turning up or do they not like the view from the stand?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:05 pm

Having the traffic management is fine, but do we pay per steward as they sometimes have 3/4 doing the same job. Could the amount of stewards not be reduced thus reducing costs.

I hope you're right about the temporary stand Les (I have no reason to doubt what you've heard). I've no doubt that if they need volunteers to help then we'd have plenty that would give up their time. Not sure if volunteers could help with something like this

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:23 pm

I agree, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get volunteers to be out of the ground on car park management duties. Out of interest does anybody know roughly how many stewards we are short on a matchday?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:54 pm

D_F_C wrote:Having the traffic management is fine, but do we pay per steward as they sometimes have 3/4 doing the same job. Could the amount of stewards not be reduced thus reducing costs.

I hope you're right about the temporary stand Les (I have no reason to doubt what you've heard). I've no doubt that if they need volunteers to help then we'd have plenty that would give up their time. Not sure if volunteers could help with something like this
Guessing in terms of numbers we have to pay for what we currently get, I am sure we would reduce if we could. What we need is more volunteers really.

In regards to temp stand it was more a rumour than anything definite but I do believe the club are looking into it, would be daft not to as we know we need to improve the experience to try and keep attendances up. We have the stand, it's just the costs and does that change anything in terms of capacity etc.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:14 pm

But would we be allowed to put it up as it`s just mud behind the barrier at that end