David Ferguson - New Signing

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

David Ferguson - New Signing

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:27 pm

As above

From Shildon was at Blackpool last season.

Left Back or CB.

Darlo_Pete

Re: David Ferguson - New Signing

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Good to see we're getting some cover for Centre Back, as we don't have much cover. Even better if he's happy to play in a couple of positions.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Wikipedia confirms my suspicion that he was one of the youngsters who was part of liddle's team who were thrown into action when we were in meltdown. Played six times, and was also on loan at Birmingham from Sunderland for a bit. I remember him being quite small so not sure about him as a cb, although I could be wrong.
Wonder what led to him living from captaining a L1 side to the northern league so quickly.

Do we suppose this spells curtains for Jordan Watson?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Slightly unexpected considering we already have 2 players who are primarily a LB but who can also play CB (if my memory of him is correct). I'd guess Watson will be on the way out. But, he looked a good player when he was here before, and he obviously has something about him to have been captain at Blackpool.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:28 pm

tdk1 wrote:Wikipedia confirms my suspicion that he was one of the youngsters who was part of liddle's team who were thrown into action when we were in meltdown. Played six times, and was also on loan at Birmingham from Sunderland for a bit. I remember him being quite small so not sure about him as a cb, although I could be wrong.
Wonder what led to him living from captaining a L1 side to the northern league so quickly.

Do we suppose this spells curtains for Jordan Watson?
You never know with Blackpool,they seem to be doing everything they can to screw up.

Only 22 so a good signing it seems.

Would not be surprised to see JW go,saw him at Buxton pre season and he looked very slow but that might have just been a bad day.

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Cant find any offical confirmation from the club

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Wondered how long it would before he ended up here, one of the standout performers in the NL with FL experience and highly rated when he was here. Liddle took him to Sunderland.

More of a left back than a centre back, decent set piece on him and gets his fair share of goals so not too dissimilar to Galbraith

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:58 pm

windyforce4 wrote:Cant find any offical confirmation from the club
Not actually official yet - Ray Simpson is saying there is still plenty of paperwork to complete

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:54 pm

I hope he has signed as a CB rather than a LB.

Jordan Watson hasn't really had a fair crack and when he has had to stand in for Tez at LB I think he has looked good. He played well against Fylde which was one of our best performances of the season.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Agree about Watson,the lad has done well when he's had the chance.Prime contender for down the road for me would be Falkingham,who has been moderate at best.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:17 pm

I wonder if this means that the manager is considering moving Galbraith forward into the left wing position?

If it is Watson who is going to make room, I could understand if he felt harshly done by.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:18 pm

DFCAnth wrote:I hope he has signed as a CB rather than a LB.

Jordan Watson hasn't really had a fair crack and when he has had to stand in for Tez at LB I think he has looked good. He played well against Fylde which was one of our best performances of the season.
Funny how football is a game of opinions. While I agree with you Watson hasn't had much game time (though Galbraith has rightly kept his place bar a slight poor spell before Christmas). When he has played I think he has looked a bit nervous and a little meek. Certainly does not have the power, height or delivery that Galbraith brings to the defence.

Will be interesting to see where Ferguson fits in to MG's plans. As for Falkringham I thought we'd made a master stroke signing him after his first 4-5 games with the club, he played so well. Certainly seems to have gone off the boil since then and rightly out of the team for Scott who has once again stepped up.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:24 pm

JE93 wrote: Will be interesting to see where Ferguson fits in to MG's plans. As for Falkringham I thought we'd made a master stroke signing him after his first 4-5 games with the club, he played so well. Certainly seems to have gone off the boil since then and rightly out of the team for Scott who has once again stepped up.
Falkingham's loss of form and absence coincided with our poorer form.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:54 pm

al_quaker wrote:
windyforce4 wrote:Cant find any offical confirmation from the club
Not actually official yet - Ray Simpson is saying there is still plenty of paperwork to complete
Shildon's twitter account has confirmed it

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:59 pm

Shildon's website says he is a Midfielder.

http://www.shildonafc.com/player/david-ferguson/
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Intriguingly Shildon's manager and assistant have quit because of this transfer.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Intriguingly Shildon's manager and assistant have quit because of this transfer.
"Intriguingly" you have provided no evidence of this!

http://www.shildonafc.com/2017/01/shild ... statement/

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Craig Stoddart has tweeted an article saying this transfer is the reason why they have left Shildon. Also says we have paid a fee for him...

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:28 pm

bga wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Intriguingly Shildon's manager and assistant have quit because of this transfer.

Yeah I've decided to make the entire thing up.

Check out Stod and Ray Simpson on Twitter, complete with quotes from Shildon's manager.

Intriguingly, you've been duped by a bit of PR from Shildon.

Although I very much doubt Shildon would put out a statement saying "We caused our long-serving management team to resign because we sold one of our best players behind their backs."

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:32 pm

I think he played against us for Sunderland a few years ago. My mind tells me he's a left back or left wing back who could also play left mid.

Certainly not a centre back

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Wonder what kind of fee we are talking here !
It's not as if Shildon are (were now the managers left) short of a bob or two.
Think before posting

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:41 pm

After our accounts the other day I hope it's a negligible fee...

Also, if we've spent money on him then I can't imagine he's been brought in as purely a back up. Interesting to see who is likely to make way. After a pre Xmas blip, Galbraith has been very solid recently.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:

Check out Stod and Ray Simpson on Twitter, complete with quotes from Shildon's manager.

Although I very much doubt Shildon would put out a statement saying "We caused our long-serving management team to resign because we sold one of our best players behind their backs."
I never suggested you had made it up. I never said I believed the Shildon statement did I? Just thought you might have provided a bit more detail than you did that is what I would have done.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:50 pm

From Echo website an hour ago, not hard to copy!

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... ef=mr&lp=5

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Interesting signing - he was doing very well at Shildon for what I heard, and made quite a drop to sign there in the summer.

Unfair to speculate I know, but reading between the lines the Forrest / Niven situation at Shildon may well have been stirring for a while. A huge decision to resign mid-way through a fairly succesful season (although the resignation was offered for the end of the season but the Board wanted them out now supposedly) and they have been replaced already by their club captain.

I have no issue with a fee being paid providing it's within the set budget. The Northern Echo alludes to another departure as a result of this signing, which will probably be Watson I should imagine.

May not be the only permanent departure with Wearmouth coming back in to the fold, who isn't being paid whilst injured if I remember correctly.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:17 pm

bga wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:

I never suggested you had made it up. I never said I believed the Shildon statement did I? Just thought you might have provided a bit more detail than you did that is what I would have done.
Eh? What a bizarre thing for you to get worked up by. That I didn't put a hyperlink in. Is that all you've got to worry about on a Friday night? I suggest you get out more.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Interesting to see where he fits into the team. It wouldn't surprise me to see him starting left side midfield tomorrow with Gillies playing a free role behind Beck. Will give Galbraith a bit more protection.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:34 am

Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:

Eh? What a bizarre thing for you to get worked up by. That I didn't put a hyperlink in. Is that all you've got to worry about on a Friday night? I suggest you get out more.
To be fair, you're normally one for evidence.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:47 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote: To be fair, you're normally one for evidence.
Evidence which was out there and easily accessible when I posted off my phone, which is difficult to copy links on.

But genuinely HarryCharltonsCat, you're spending your time posting about someone not putting a hyperlink in their post about a non-league team. Is that all you've got to worry about in your life?

Now if you and BGA have stopped getting upset about hyperlink-gate, let's move away from this silliness and back on topic.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:27 am

That's quite a shock to see Forrest resign from Shildon allegedly over the Ferguson transfer. Pretty poor that the first he found out about the transfer, was when the money from the transfer was already in their bank account. A long serving manager like Forrest deserves to be treated better than this.