Chorley v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Neil Johnson
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Chorley v Darlo Match Thread

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:21 am

So pleased that the defence was more focussed, also Beck had more space to work being deeper and balls were being directed to others up front, rather than constant hoofing. Thommo does a lot more with the ball when he gets the ball passed carefully to him. Carts and Syers also benefited. The system should favour our player's strengths and could put us in strong contention for promotion via the play offs.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Neil Johnson wrote: could put us in strong contention for promotion via the play offs.
:lol:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Great set up at Chorley, i was very impressed. Several food outlets, v.welcoming stewards and stuff.

The far end terrace would be perfect for Blackwell Meadows, It was only the width of the 6 yard box, but was 12 deep steps.

A good performance from the lads, hopefully something we'll build on.
Think before posting

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Just seen highlights how was that not a penalty when Thommo got his shot away then keeper clattered him ?

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:22 pm

robsraiders wrote:Just seen highlights how was that not a penalty when Thommo got his shot away then keeper clattered him ?
According to MG interview, the ref said its not a pen as he'd got his shot away !
Think before posting

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:32 pm

So by interpretation if an outfield player gets flattened after releasing the ball it's not a free kick as he has already passed the ball. I don't think so. Another ridiculous rule by the powers that be.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:49 pm

Looking at the highlights, it doesn't even seem to be a shot by Thompson - but rather a touch (albeit slightly heavy) past an on-rushing goalkeeper who has come flying out.

Throwback to Gainsborough (H) where Syers was scythed down in the box, his touch actually ended up in to the path of Beck who missed the chance, but the referee blew for a penalty.

All we ask is for consistency, each referee seems to interpret the rules differently.

The only aspect of consistency from referees I've seen this season has been in their performances - consistently shocking.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:34 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Looking at the highlights, it doesn't even seem to be a shot by Thompson - but rather a touch (albeit slightly heavy) past an on-rushing goalkeeper who has come flying out.

Throwback to Gainsborough (H) where Syers was scythed down in the box, his touch actually ended up in to the path of Beck who missed the chance, but the referee blew for a penalty.

All we ask is for consistency, each referee seems to interpret the rules differently.

The only aspect of consistency from referees I've seen this season has been in their performances - consistently shocking.
It looked a clear penalty first glance and the video confirms it.

On the point though of this seasons referees I might have to get my tin hat on but I'd have to say I've found them quite a lot better than previous seasons. Fitter, less prone to panic, fewer mistakes. It's quite an accomplishment to get this high as a ref and I'd say it's starting to show.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:05 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:
robsraiders wrote:Just seen highlights how was that not a penalty when Thommo got his shot away then keeper clattered him ?
According to MG interview, the ref said its not a pen as he'd got his shot away !
The ref tried to pull a fast one if he has said that as it is irrelevant, but a common misconception amongst participants.

Goalkeepers do not get license to foul you if you've already played the ball, just like a midfielder would be penalised if he clattered you after you played the ball to a teammate within the centre circle.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:08 pm

That is one of the most obvious penalties you will ever see. A shocking decision.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:51 am

I think the "got his shot away" is the argument for not being a red card as a goal-scoring opportunity has not been denied. That doesn't mean a foul can't be given though.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:08 am

That was a pen, 200%, but probably only a yellow card.Telford were awarded a pen when Jameson just shoved his face even though the ball was in his hands I seem to think, so what is the difference in both situations.We seem to have had a fair number of solid penalty shouts turned down this season and luck seems to have deserted us but looking at the remaining fixtures we have Fylde and Salford away and the rest seem very straight forward on paper so the playoffs are still very much on if MG can get us playing like we were earlier in the season.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:20 am

Makka Pakka wrote:I think the "got his shot away" is the argument for not being a red card as a goal-scoring opportunity has not been denied. That doesn't mean a foul can't be given though.
Spot on.