Lee Gaskell

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Lee Gaskell

Post by poppyfield » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 pm

stalybridge celtic‏@stalycelticfc · 3h3 hours ago
The club can confirm Lee Gaskell has left the club.

Sorry to see him leave Darlo, top player, doesn't seem to be working out for him at the mo.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlo_Pete

Re: Lee Gaskell

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:35 pm

I'll always remember his contribution in our memorable 3-4 win at Salford. Hope he gets himself sorted out with a club. It shouldn't be a problem with his track record.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:32 pm

poppyfield wrote:stalybridge celtic‏@stalycelticfc · 3h3 hours ago

Sorry to see him leave Darlo, top player, doesn't seem to be working out for him at the mo.
At least he wont be facing us in March

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:09 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
poppyfield wrote:stalybridge celtic‏@stalycelticfc · 3h3 hours ago

At least he wont be facing us in March
Absolutely right! Our 'old boys' always seem to be inspired when playing against us. Do hope he finds another club who can make use of his talents.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Id rather him than Beck anyday

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:25 pm

knoxy5000 wrote:Id rather him than Beck anyday
:lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:33 pm

he's signed for Ramsbottom by the way. Bit of a drop for him I thought he might end up back at Ashton United.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Think Ramsbottom hold a place in his heart.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:53 pm

A waste of talent dropping down to that level.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Scored yesterday. Also read that Curtis Edwards is in the Swedish Premier League, and doing well over there.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:50 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Scored yesterday. Also read that Curtis Edwards is in the Swedish Premier League, and doing well over there.
I went to watch him yesterday... Didn't do a lot to be fair apart from score a Pen, two very average teams to be honest
Tadcaster Albion gave all the gate money to the family of the late Scarborough chairman who died a couple of weeks ago... Great gestureImage

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 pm

I loved Gaskell for the most. But you need to remember that he was non-existent for the last 10-12 games at the end of last season. He blowed hot and cold. I enjoyed watching him play and was disappointed when he left, but the two teams he's been at who are a big step down from us, didn't want him and no one in our league has picked him up so to me that suggests he's at his level.

To suggest that Beck is worse is laughable IMO. Beck's type of play isn't pretty to watch in comparison to Gaskell but he does a good job

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:30 pm

knoxy5000 wrote:Id rather him than Beck anyday
Oh dear.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:54 pm

D_F_C wrote:I loved Gaskell for the most. But you need to remember that he was non-existent for the last 10-12 games at the end of last season. He blowed hot and cold.
If memory serves, he was carrying an injury in the last few months of the season.

But I do take the point he seems to have dropped off since leaving us.

I really like Beck and think he offers us something different. It's not for the purists but then we are in the second tier of non-league football. We can hardly expect to be playing tiki-taka passing (which is what some of our fans seem to expect).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Id just like to see us use the whole of the pitch and get to the byline and put some crosses in for Beck instead of straight balls up to him

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:43 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Id just like to see us use the whole of the pitch and get to the byline and put some crosses in for Beck instead of straight balls up to him
email @MGthemanger.co.uk with your thoughts I'm sure he will welcome the inputImage

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:34 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Id just like to see us use the whole of the pitch and get to the byline and put some crosses in for Beck instead of straight balls up to him
It would help if the Darlo wingers / wide strikers:
- played a bit wider than the narrow tucked in stuff
- had the ball passed to their legs (rather than lobbed somewhere near in the air)
- tried to get away from their markers
- played on their correct wings
- received more passes from Beck (many balls are kicked far too high to him)
- had more support behind / beside them when wide

Turnbull seems to know what to do, but can't be expected to pass to the attacking players if they stand still and remain marked front and back.

Glad to see Lee has found himself with a local team, this time with more sustainability, albeit at a lower level.

He was a great gutsy servant to Darlo, especially when we consider his travel commitments. The rotation system and knocks may have taken their toll on his form, when combined with the burden of extra travel.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
D_F_C wrote:I loved Gaskell for the most. But you need to remember that he was non-existent for the last 10-12 games at the end of last season. He blowed hot and cold.
If memory serves, he was carrying an injury in the last few months of the season.

But I do take the point he seems to have dropped off since leaving us.

I really like Beck and think he offers us something different. It's not for the purists but then we are in the second tier of non-league football. We can hardly expect to be playing tiki-taka passing (which is what some of our fans seem to expect).
I would say most (sensible) fans expect a mixture. I think that on occasion the long diagonal (especially when Marrs did it) was extremely effective. I also wanted for most of the season to get it to our two wide men (Gillies and Thompson) who often created plenty.

Without banging on about it too much, the Blackwell pitch sometimes dictates the style of play. Even Turnbull struggles to get it under. Most be hard for continuity if we go away, try to play it around, then come home and have to go direct