Darlington V Chorley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Chorley

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:59 am

Moving swiftly on, yeah I know it ruins the weekend.
Team for Friday .
Young.
Griffiths Lees Lawlor Barrow.
Rivers Hatfield Platt Cornish.
Main Rutledge.

jjljks

Re: Darlington V Chorley

Post by jjljks » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:59 am
Moving swiftly on, yeah I know it ruins the weekend.
Team for Friday .
Young.
Main Rutledge.
No room for J Knowles (Boston loanee)? Need someone to replicate what he did at least. Asante?
🤣😉

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:44 am

Darlopartisan wrote:Moving swiftly on, yeah I know it ruins the weekend.
Team for Friday .
Young.
Main Rutledge.
I would go with that lineup also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:33 am

I think I would try something different against Chorley, we know they are a good team and one we don't traditionally do well with.

Young
Griffiths - Lees - Lawler / Siddick (if fit) - Barrow
Headley - Hatfield - Platt
Cornish
Main - Rutlidge

Rationale for me is that Headley has looked good going forward, and has looked good on the odd occasion in midfield and we will need a strong midfield against Chorley.
With Cornish in a roving roll behind the front 2, which I think will play to his strengths, but also allow 3 at the front to press high. Would change that formation if Nelson is fit though.
Just my view of course but this is a difficult game and we have lacked on goal scoring opportunities the last few games.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:22 pm

50 years wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:33 am
I think I would try something different against Chorley, we know they are a good team and one we don't traditionally do well with.

Young
Cornish
Main - Rutlidge

Rationale for me is that Headley has looked good going forward, and has looked good on the odd occasion in midfield and we will need a strong midfield against Chorley.
With Cornish in a roving roll behind the front 2, which I think will play to his strengths, but also allow 3 at the front to press high. Would change that formation if Nelson is fit though.
Just my view of course but this is a difficult game and we have lacked on goal scoring opportunities the last few games.
So abandon everything that we’ve done really well with since SW came in on the back a one poor result ?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:15 pm

While it is one bad result. The last 3 games have not been to the standard we had at the spenny game and before, given that it may be confidence and against a bit of a boggy team I thought we may need something different, as thought we would need to pressure higher up the field so yes I would, but it is only my opinion nothing else so hope I am allowed to have one :D
If SW sticks to the same formation then that fine by me too as he is the manager

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:10 pm

50 years wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:33 am

Young
Cornish
Main - Rutlidge

Barrow has been decent at CB

Siddick is utter wank - see the Boston game

Hedley doesn’t work in the middle

Dropping salkeld makes no sense as he’s been in good form.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:25 pm

We will have to agree to disagree, the odd times I have seen Hedley in midfield thought he played well, (and he was signed as a midfielder originally), I attend most games including friendlies, so you must have attended the games I have missed to have your judgement on Hedley. Siddick is left footed and in the main been OK, (and yes I was at Boston), Lawler to me has always been uncomfortable on the left of the two centrebacks as he is totally right footed. Salkeld I agree has been playing ok, but he doesn't do defensive work well as he not a tackler so against Chorley, my belief is we will need height up front. As pointed out it is my opinion, you have yours but I did have thinking behind my opinion, you clearly not happy with me having an opinion which sorry I can't help you with.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:31 am

What we need to aim for is to start the game in the manner that we went about the Scunny game. Chorley have occasionally been slow starters, as in their last match against Boston, and we need to get at them from the off with help from what should be a decent crowd.

It would be good to go some way to atone for that abomination of a result masterminded by Gowling at their place. His failure to at least take some tactical steps to try to shore things up after our sending off contributed heavily to one of the worst results in our history. It also cost us more than 3 points because of the huge damage to our goal difference in one game, that we are still feeling the effects from even now.

It'll be a tough test but at our best we can do it as long as confidence hasn't been dented too much by Saturday's setback in a crunch game.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:49 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:31 am
It would be good to go some way to atone for that abomination of a result masterminded by Gowling at their place.
This game on Friday has nothing to do with that. It's a game, we need three points to help us avoid relegation - any talk of revenge or of Gowling is not relevant.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:52 am

Well it is for me :evil: And as for Gowling, he really should have been gone after that shameful night.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:56 am

LoidLucan wrote:
What we need to aim for is to start the game in the manner that we went about the Scunny game. Chorley have occasionally been slow starters, as in their last match against Boston, and we need to get at them from the off with help from what should be a decent crowd.

It would be good to go some way to atone for that abomination of a result masterminded by Gowling at their place. His failure to at least take some tactical steps to try to shore things up after our sending off contributed heavily to one of the worst results in our history. It also cost us more than 3 points because of the huge damage to our goal difference in one game, that we are still feeling the effects from even now.

It'll be a tough test but at our best we can do it as long as confidence hasn't been dented too much by Saturday's setback in a crunch game.
Saturday's result was a set-back but as you pointed out if Taylor hadn't let their third in at such a crucial point it might well have been a different story. We might not have played well - I wasn't there - but it seems like a fine margin to me and coming back out at 2-2 the impetus would probably be with us. Watson hasn't made us a play-off quality team despite the recent wins but we do have a chance to stay up, with the better keeper back. It's sad as he hasn't been that bad but Taylor is a weak link and facing Chorley again might give him the jitters. Some earlier comment about resting some players for a game we might struggle in now seems a bit fanciful. We have to try to win every game now and besting Chorley after that dreadful pasting would really give everyone a lift.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:03 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:56 am
LoidLucan wrote:

Saturday's result was a set-back but as you pointed out if Taylor hadn't let their third in at such a crucial point it might well have been a different story. We might not have played well - I wasn't there - but it seems like a fine margin to me and coming back out at 2-2 the impetus would probably be with us. Watson hasn't made us a play-off quality team despite the recent wins but we do have a chance to stay up, with the better keeper back. It's sad as he hasn't been that bad but Taylor is a weak link and facing Chorley again might give him the jitters. Some earlier comment about resting some players for a game we might struggle in now seems a bit fanciful. We have to try to win every game now and besting Chorley after that dreadful pasting would really give everyone a lift.
Taylor definitely looked rusty, and probably should have saved their third, and was jittery in the box a couple of times. However, on reflection the first two goals were excellent finished caused by our defence not shutting down quick enough, and he stopped a couple of what would have been certain goals in the second half.

Their third goal came at a crucial moment on saturday, but our biggest problem in the second half was our ball retention for the first 20-25 minutes of it which meant we couldn't get up the pitch. Once we settled on the ball for a couple of minutes we came back into the game.

Still gutted we lost, the Farsley game in particular feels massive now.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:15 pm

Clayton Donaldson at Farley is sounding like someone who has completely run out of ideas now. He was complaining about players whose "heads are down" and "body language is all wrong." Without wishing to tempt fate, if that goes on then points could really be hard to come by for them on the run-in.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:46 pm

Now isn’t the time for radical changes to formation, we’ve found a system that is clearly capable of getting the 2-3 more wins required to keep our heads above water. For me, Salkeld starts ahead of Rivers. Rivers is fine to bring on for 20 minutes if you have a lead and you just need someone to keep the ball but his influence when starting games is minimal. Salkeld however, is a much more effective player in terms of goals & assists.

Young

Griffiths Lees Barrow Hedley

Salkeld Hatfield Platt Cornish

Main Rutledge

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:55 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:46 pm
Rivers is fine to bring on for 20 minutes if you have a lead and you just need someone to keep the ball but his influence when starting games is minimal.
You cant have been there on saturday then, Rivers was one of the few that had a good game and also played Main through for the first goal. :crazy:

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:02 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:55 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Rivers is fine to bring on for 20 minutes if you have a lead and you just need someone to keep the ball but his influence when starting games is minimal.
You cant have been there on saturday then, Rivers was one of the few that had a good game and also played Main through for the first goal. :crazy:
I was there on Saturday and agree he was one of our better players but still not particularly effective. We need match winners in attacking positions and I can’t remember the last Rivers came up with a crucial moment that won us points.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:15 pm

loan_star wrote:
CrazyDarlo wrote:
For this one I’d go with Rivers and Salkeld as the wide players and give Cornish a bit of a breather

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:26 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:49 am
LoidLucan wrote:
It would be good to go some way to atone for that abomination of a result masterminded by Gowling at their place.
This game on Friday has nothing to do with that. It's a game, we need three points to help us avoid relegation - any talk of revenge or of Gowling is not relevant.
Lads. It's "Clowning". Or "Howling". Not "Gowling".

Or "The Giggler". Or "Giggles". Never "Gowling".

Ta.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:28 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:03 pm
Still gutted we lost, the Farsley game in particular feels massive now.
Farsley and Southport at home were always the big ones.

I think we might be able to get something at Warrington as well - hoping it might be a bit of a nothing game for them by then.

Suspect it will be doom and gloom I'd we lose on Friday. I think points from it are a welcome bonus but it's not where I expect us to get what we need.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:44 am

loan_star wrote:
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Correct. We were second best all over the pitch, Rushall created more and wasted many chances. Much has been said about their on loan wing back from Walsall, but the space he was given was ridiculous.

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:58 am

I wonder if Asante comes into the reckoning for this match.

Maybe a place on the bench.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 am

Mario wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:58 am

:lol:
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:23 am

Interesting piece about the murkey ownership of Chorley FC on Monday's Price of Football Podcast from about 40 min mark.

Current owner who has no connection with Chorley was was sole owner has replaced himself with 10 companies all of which up to their latest accounts (2022) were apparently dormant

Lots of Red Flags raised in podcast

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:35 am

Mario wrote:

Not sure why we’d want him on the bench - for me Main , Nelson , Curry and Rutledge should all be in the side before him (if fit )

We need togetherness and team spirit

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am

spen666 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:23 am
Interesting piece about the murkey ownership of Chorley FC on Monday's Price of Football Podcast from about 40 min mark.

Current owner who has no connection with Chorley was was sole owner has replaced himself with 10 companies all of which up to their latest accounts (2022) were apparently dormant

I thought they were getting some former "boyband" members nvolved

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:18 pm

In a nutshell, they are at some stage heading for a meltdown. In February there were reports of an HMRC winding up petition which the club said was simply the result of an oversight and clerical error. This latest step with the ownership really should be ringing alarm bells with supporters.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:42 pm

My opinion wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am
spen666 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:23 am

I thought they were getting some former "boyband" members nvolved

I'd forgotten about that.

This was an answer on podcast to the goings on at Chorley. I have no personal knowledge, but from what Kevin Maguire was saying, I fear for long term future of Chorley. The whole situation seemed very dodgy

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:40 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Mario wrote:

Not sure why we’d want him on the bench - for me Main , Nelson , Curry and Rutledge should all be in the side before him (if fit )

You seem to be suggesting that Asante's inclusion would damage togetherness and team spirit - can you elaborate?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:40 pm
Lallacab wrote:
Mario wrote:

You seem to be suggesting that Asante's inclusion would damage togetherness and team spirit - can you elaborate?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I can see why it might - the guy's been a waste of space time and money while the current lot have put in a real collective effort. Who would you leave out for him and it's taking a big risk - maybe use him as a sub for any last ditch measures?