View from the Board/DJ

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

View from the Board/DJ

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 pm

I am assuming once the season is finished we will get a view from the Board more directly but if anyone wants to have an idea of how this last season felt from a board point of view and has missed this info then here goes.

For those who are Your Club members/Owners can watch 38 mins of the recent AGM

https://yourclub.darlingtonfc.co.uk/dfc-agm-april-2024

For those who want to listen to 8mins of DJ's views after survival

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hqyxld

MB86DFC

Re: View from the Board/DJ

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:47 pm

Thanks for sharing, both are very informative and positive.

It’s easy to be critical of the boards and the pace of progress (I’m guilty of moaning about this through the season) however watching the AGM really shows the dedication and care given by those in charge.

Pleased to see a structural review is taking place to try to increase capability

bga

Post by bga » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 pm

In the short reference, DJ makes to a new ground.He says "things are going well" whatever that means?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 pm

bga wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 pm
In the short reference, DJ makes to a new ground.He says "things are going well" whatever that means?
It’s taking the piss at this point.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:32 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 pm
bga wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 pm
It’s taking the piss at this point.
Just listened again he is referring to Ground and Funding options "progressing well"........As we all agree a formal update is required from the Board.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:41 pm

Aye, it just rubbed me up the wrong way listening to it. To be honest, it feels like there is an air of arrogance about it. We just want to know *something*. I can even deal with it if the honest answer is we just can’t afford it as a football club. Fine. But this kind insider ‘things are going well’ is all we’ve had for two years.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:03 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:41 pm
Aye, it just rubbed me up the wrong way listening to it. To be honest, it feels like there is an air of arrogance about it. We just want to know *something*. I can even deal with it if the honest answer is we just can’t afford it as a football club. Fine. But this kind insider ‘things are going well’ is all we’ve had for two years.
Yeh but aren't these things under NDAs with the council?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:33 am

I have no idea but I find it incredibly strange that literally every other club manages to update their fans on this kind of stuff and the majority aren’t fan owned!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:01 am

H1987 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:33 am
I have no idea but I find it incredibly strange that literally every other club manages to update their fans on this kind of stuff and the majority aren’t fan owned!
How many other clubs are in our situation?

Reliant on being considered and complementary to town plans to meet a social need to determine where a new ground can be built, with a club with no assets behind them to support that move.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:41 am

Of similar size to what we want? Dulwich Hamlet? Sheffield FC?

There’s absolutely loads if you go down the google black hole. Either new developments or current stadium works.

What marks us out is the complete lack of detail.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:16 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:03 pm
H1987 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:41 pm
Yeh but aren't these things under NDAs with the council?
NDAs are not gagging orders where you can say nothing at all. Clearly they exist for good bisiness reasons. However, I would suggest it unlikely it would say prevent one party from disclosing to its "Owners" how many parties they are in discussion with about parts of the project and certain timelines. Surely an NDA would not prevent a party saying "we have yet to identify a suitable site," if this was the case. Or possibly " we have identified a suitable site."

It is clear we need sme form of update please.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 am

My understanding, council have no money to help, interest rates for stadium loan presently too high, a developer we were working with on a potential site (possibly Faverdale) has been beaten or gazumped by another developer who DJ will meet with shortly to see how much they want for earliest 26/27 season (2 years) . Other sites are still a long way from progressing five years and out of town sites (Houchen Teeside airport etc) unlikely but on the back burner. We are at BM for atleast 2 years minimum if SW does the unbelievable and gets us promoted via playoffs next season for 25/26 we have to spend +£100k to upgrade BM unless the NL allow us to delay things if spades in the ground on new stadium. Lots of ifs and buts ! I believe interest rates have to fall considerably before an investor loans us £5-£8 million.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:40 am

I can understand that people want to know what is happening and also want things to happen fast.

To say that we are unique in not providing updates is well wide of the mark. Living in Nottingham then I can put forward my '2nd team' Forest as an example of another club where information about stadium developments/moves is also shrouded in secrecy. Even though they came out with plans 5 years ago nothing has happened and what will happen no-one knows.

Should we know because we are owners of the club? If there are good commercial reasons why we can't then I am happy to wait. Lets face it we will only get one chance at another new ground, so making sure the right option of location and financing is undertaken is of paramount importance.

I think there is also a wider question of how we structure ourselves going forward. I for one never want to be beholden to a single investor again - especially if the fans end up financing a new ground, we should never let that go. I appreciate this creates a glass ceiling for funding.