Local clubs released lists

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Local clubs released lists

Post by JE93 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:53 pm

Thought it would be helpful to keep this together. Will update as clubs announce their retained lists.

York:
Released - Scott Barrow, Scott Burgess, Michael Duckworth, David Stockdale
Last edited by JE93 on Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

JE93

Re: Local clubs released lists

Post by JE93 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:55 pm

Like most definitely be happy to see Scott Barrow next season. Michael Duckworth is a pretty good RB from memory too might be worth a look.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:35 pm

David Stockdale also confirmed as left York

https://yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/club ... er-depart/

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 am

lo36789 wrote:David Stockdale also confirmed as left York

Was he on their playing staff, or was it an off-field role he held? I can't remember.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 am

Spyman wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 am

Was he on their playing staff, or was it an off-field role he held? I can't remember.

I think it was a dual role...though he only played twice and according to Flashscores he has been suspended since 7th January - that looks odd.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:19 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 am
Spyman wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 am

I think it was a dual role...though he only played twice and according to Flashscores he has been suspended since 7th January - that looks odd.
Long suspension, if Flash Scores is correct. Wonder what he did

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:50 am

It looks like pretty much the entire squad at Blyth is out of contract and Jon Shaw will be highly likely to get the push so can't really enter into talks with players. There are strong rumours that some have already sorted out deals elsewhere.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:14 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:50 am
It looks like pretty much the entire squad at Blyth is out of contract and Jon Shaw will be highly likely to get the push so can't really enter into talks with players. There are strong rumours that some have already sorted out deals elsewhere.
If that's the case, I hope we're taking a look at Finn Cousin-Dawson and Will McGowan.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:15 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Wonder what their new owner is feeling right now? Pretty sick, I imagine, just hope he does have cash & deep pockets to help them survive.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:19 am

He did say one of his priorities was to get them out of this league!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:33 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:19 am
He did say one of his priorities was to get them out of this league!
:lol: :clap:

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:41 pm

JE93 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:55 pm
Like most definitely be happy to see Scott Barrow next season. Michael Duckworth is a pretty good RB from memory too might be worth a look.
I think Duckworth is a good player. My issue is that it sounds like he doesn't often play. Always has injuries. If he could be fit, then he'd be a very good signing

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:14 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:41 pm
JE93 wrote:
I think Duckworth is a good player. My issue is that it sounds like he doesn't often play. Always has injuries. If he could be fit, then he'd be a very good signing
Could be a question of Duckworth or Barrow in terms of both getting old, both have injury questions. Risking one is probably ok, risking two players budget on two players who could have injury issues may be a risk too far.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:15 pm

D_F_C wrote:
JE93 wrote:
Sounds like he's worth a two year contract!

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:45 am

JE93 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:14 am
LoidLucan wrote:
If that's the case, I hope we're taking a look at Finn Cousin-Dawson and Will McGowan.
The Blyth fans are strongly of the opinion that midfielder Will McGowan is leaving and will be playing in National North next season and that loanee central defender/right back Finn Cousin-Dawson will be released by Bradford City and end up either with us or Spennymoor where he was previously on loan. He's fron Stockton.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:55 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:14 pm
D_F_C wrote:
JE93 wrote:
Could be a question of Duckworth or Barrow in terms of both getting old, both have injury questions. Risking one is probably ok, risking two players budget on two players who could have injury issues may be a risk too far.
Call me naive, but isn't there something that could placed into a contract that would negate the issues of a long term injury problem? I'm not on about day to day normal stuff that keeps players out for 3/4 weeks. I'm on about a clause that could stop a player lingering on the sidelines for months and months.

It could be beneficial to a player too, in the way that a club like ourselves would be more likely to take a calculated risk on employing them.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:17 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:45 am
The Blyth fans are strongly of the opinion that midfielder Will McGowan is leaving and will be playing in National North next season and that loanee central defender/right back Finn Cousin-Dawson will be released by Bradford City and end up either with us or Spennymoor where he was previously on loan. He's fron Stockton.
Where are you getting this from - do they have a message board or something?

If Spendy are after Cousin Dawson then I think he will go there. They have a better ground, more vibes, and will be in the race for the play offs next season.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:21 am

This is going to sound really sad but I listened to their Green Army fans' podcast in which they rant about all the failings and what the future holds for the club and players. Between all the expletives you do get a sense about the few that were rated.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:24 am

It doesn't sound sad at all. :D Anyone else rated?

McGowan and Cousin-Dawson are the two most obvious ones.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:31 am

Some of them rate the former Gateshead midfielder/defender Elliot Forbes, who's also out of contract at Blyth and has in the past also inevitably spent time on loan in the land of the vibes. He seems to be quite versatile between midfield and defence. He's not universally popular though.

The fans would also like to sign their loanee striker Luke James and keep left-footed central defender Jack Bodenham, who can also play left-back. As far as most of the rest go, they would be quite happy for a giant broom to go sweeping through and start again with a clean slate after their spectacular collapse.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:26 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:55 am
D_F_C wrote:
JE93 wrote:
Call me naive, but isn't there something that could placed into a contract that would negate the issues of a long term injury problem? I'm not on about day to day normal stuff that keeps players out for 3/4 weeks. I'm on about a clause that could stop a player lingering on the sidelines for months and months.

It could be beneficial to a player too, in the way that a club like ourselves would be more likely to take a calculated risk on employing them.
Well maybe but if I was a player and a different club was offering me something more solid then I wouldn't sign for the club who want me to reduce money if I have a injury that stretches over a length of time.

Also having too many players who are possibly injury prone even if missing a couple of games here and there, isn't the best for squad cohesion and consistency.

I guess this is why players like Ben Hedley are brilliant for your squad, never really injured, always puts the effort in and will fill in at many positions (generally a 6 out of 10 most weeks). So if you had to release someone like Hedley for Duckworth would it be a good move. Anyhow it's all opinions, you could probably argue either way and eventually decisions will be made. I just don't want us to have too many players who maybe will struggle to hit 40 games next season.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 am

Aaron Martin leaving South Shields - could be the big physical striker we were looking for ?

Not done much up there but done well prior to that

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:00 am

I think I'd definitely prefer Rutledge if possible.

Martin is 33 and we need to be careful of signing too many mid thirties players given we already have Lawlor, Griffiths, Hatfield and hopefully Barrow.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:02 am

I'd love us to have a look at Jack Maskell at Dunston, but think their are probably bigger fish interested in him.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:31 am

Lallacab wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 am
Aaron Martin leaving South Shields - could be the big physical striker we were looking for ?

Not done much up there but done well prior to that
Martin managed 11 for South Shields this season. Sane amount as Rutledge. Think I would prefer Rutledge, but not a bad back up option.

Will be interesting to see what happens at South Shields this summer. Club up for sale, making significant losses on the full time model. Obviously any change between FT and PT might impact who stays and who goes.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:53 am

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:26 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:55 am
D_F_C wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Well maybe but if I was a player and a different club was offering me something more solid then I wouldn't sign for the club who want me to reduce money if I have a injury that stretches over a length of time.

Also having too many players who are possibly injury prone even if missing a couple of games here and there, isn't the best for squad cohesion and consistency.

I guess this is why players like Ben Hedley are brilliant for your squad, never really injured, always puts the effort in and will fill in at many positions (generally a 6 out of 10 most weeks). So if you had to release someone like Hedley for Duckworth would it be a good move. Anyhow it's all opinions, you could probably argue either way and eventually decisions will be made. I just don't want us to have too many players who maybe will struggle to hit 40 games next season.
Barrow defo made a difference when he joined. His experience showed as he always seemed to be in the right place and do the right thing, however although we could take a punt on him, I think in general we should stick to younger players. Griffiths seems pretty injury free and in good shape though.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:59 am

It can be. The new contract launched last year has a provision to effectively put players on SSL after 4 weeks.

It caused absolute carnage and clubs were being called out if they chose to tick the box.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:25 pm

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:02 am
I'd love us to have a look at Jack Maskell at Dunston, but think their are probably bigger fish interested in him.
Totally agree - cracking player

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:48 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:25 pm
DavidCurriesMullet wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:02 am
Totally agree - cracking player
Only 19 and scored 23 league goals in 34 games, even if it is two leagues below. Dunton have made the playoffs, so would be one div below if they manage to sneak through.

Not seen him play but sounds worth a look.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:55 pm

Sunderland gave him an 8-week trial in 2020 when he was 16 years old and with Horden CW. He has a Dunston contract running until the summer of 2025.