You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 4:22 am View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post subject: Tom Portas
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:27 pm 

Team Supported: Darlington
Released

Post subject: Re: Tom Portas
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:33 pm 

A good player plagued with injuries

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:37 pm 

Sorry to see the lad go after his injury hit season. I had hoped he could come back into the team and assist the midfield, driving forward into the box as he used to do. He has been a great servant to the club despite being played in different positions. In the old days, he would have been called a utility player as able to fit into almost any formation and trusted to do a good job. Thanks for all the good performances for us in the past & I wish Tom all the best (and an injury free) future. :wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:49 pm 

Whoever signs him will be getting a very good footballer. If he can steer clear of injury, I feel there is a lot more to come from him. Another who has played his part in the revival of Darlington FC and that won't be forgotten. And that goal of the season after carrying the ball from the half-way line was out of this world.
I wonder if Whitby will fancy their chances although he certainly has the ability for National North level.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:06 pm 

LoidLucan wrote:
Whoever signs him will be getting a very good footballer. If he can steer clear of injury, I feel there is a lot more to come from him. Another who has played his part in the revival of Darlington FC and that won't be forgotten. And that goal of the season after carrying the ball from the half-way line was out of this world.
I wonder if Whitby will fancy their chances although he certainly has the ability for National North level.

yes exactly, our current midfield need to emulate Tom's surges into the box & how he hit that goal... magic!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:51 pm 

Darlopartisan wrote:
A good player plagued with injuries

I understand what people mean by "plagued by injuries," but you could almost argue his most serious and lengthy injury was an "assault" so almost not related to football! He has been very unlucky, but I guess TW had to balance minutes played, versus his wages and decided we could not take a gamble on him remaining fit. Thanks Tom you never gave less than 100% and I enjoyed watching you play.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:11 pm 

Tom is a quality player and more than good enough to be playing regularly for us. He’d proven his fitness as well. Big shame, definite loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:19 pm 

An excellent player for us at the Evostik levels, and a real shame we never really got to see him for an extended period in midfield at this level. Best of luck to him

http://buytickets.at/dfcsg

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:30 pm 

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
Tom is a quality player and more than good enough to be playing regularly for us. He’d proven his fitness as well. Big shame, definite loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree 100%, gutted Tommy has let him go, far too good a player and would have given him another season with us.Will not be surprised to see him end up at Spenny, perfect signing for them.Browny,Leon and now Tom, good characters and will be missed but let’s see who Tommy brings in but still sad not to see Tom in a Darlo shirt again.Not convinced about letting him go, time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 pm 

Albeit a risk, it could be that decisions like this have to be made for financial reasons. For example, the squad was too big at the end of the season and Wright has to deal with a budget cut whilst looking to bring in 2/3 of his own.

As an example we definitely need a goalkeeper, and even David Johnston in his interview mentioned that we ideally need another forward. Although we've offloaded five with potentially more to follow I think tough decisions are needed unfortunately. Otherwise if we could afford to keep Portas then we would have done, as he is a good squad player to have.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:07 pm 

Some pressure on Wright to make some good signings to ensure we don't feel the loss of the players we have let go, however none of them have been playing much recently.

Disappointed to see Portas go but he started 15 games this season and not much the year before, he was behind the pecking order in terms of Wheatley, Turnbull and probably Glover. More the possibilities we lose with Portas going is the challenge, anyhow it may help Tom get his career going again where he is first choice.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:44 pm 

Quakers83 wrote:
Albeit a risk, it could be that decisions like this have to be made for financial reasons. For example, the squad was too big at the end of the season and Wright has to deal with a budget cut whilst looking to bring in 2/3 of his own.

As an example we definitely need a goalkeeper, and even David Johnston in his interview mentioned that we ideally need another forward. Although we've offloaded five with potentially more to follow I think tough decisions are needed unfortunately. Otherwise if we could afford to keep Portas then we would have done, as he is a good squad player to have.
Exactly - there's no point paying good money out for players who are fourth in line and have played very little (for whatever reason) in the last two seasons.

Probably one of the trickier calls that Wright has had to make so far this close season though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:52 pm 

Wonder if Tom wants regular first team football rather than being a squad player, something we cannot guarantee. Also the number of muscle injuries he has had this season may well have counted against him especially as we will be working with a smaller squad next season.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:08 pm 

I'm not bothered at all about Portas going. Think he was a tad overrated by some fans.

He wasn't first choice and the only way he could get into the starting XI was at right back, which made our defence look more vulnerable.

A decent enough player who's contributed and worked hard for us. But if we're to progress, and start thinking towards promotion, we need better. We'll cope without him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:18 pm 

Team Supported: Darlo
I'm disappointed that Portas has been released. I'd rate him as 2nd only to Wheatley in the midfield pecking order when he's fit, however I understand TW hasn't seen enough of him to risk keeping him.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:43 pm 

Wonder if Portas was on decent money? Sorry to see him go, but I assume TW has someone in mind to replace him.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:56 pm 

LoidLucan wrote:
And that goal of the season after carrying the ball from the half-way line was out of this world.

Yeah, just watched that again. An absolute beauty. Just six touches.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:07 pm 

Thanks Tom and good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 am 

I thought he had be offered the chance to stay and earn a new contract - but maybe he decided to move on and try and earn a deal elsewhere - which is fair enough. Stranger things have happened and he may even come back at some point.
I dont think right back was his best position.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:33 am 

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
I thought he had be offered the chance to stay and earn a new contract - but maybe he decided to move on and try and earn a deal elsewhere - which is fair enough. Stranger things have happened and he may even come back at some point.

Tom filled in well at RB but he was recognised as a very good attacking midfielder and just a pity he was plagued with injuries as I would like to have seen him back next season.I see Spenny are set to make a big announcement....Tom or Gary Brown I wonder, would be fairly predictable but may be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:48 am 

quakerman wrote:
I see Spenny are set to make a big announcement....Tom or Gary Brown I wonder, would be fairly predictable but may be wrong.

Their big announcement seemed to be that season tickets were on sale.

Mind, I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Portas end up at Spennymoor.

http://buytickets.at/dfcsg

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:56 am 

quakerman wrote:

Tom filled in well at RB but he was recognised as a very good attacking midfielder and just a pity he was plagued with injuries as I would like to have seen him back next season.I see Spenny are set to make a big announcement....Tom or Gary Brown I wonder, would be fairly predictable but may be wrong.

Fully expect Gary Brown to end up in the league below us with another local team.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 pm 

Must be S Shields then Loan Star.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 am 

loan_star wrote:
quakerman wrote:

Fully expect Gary Brown to end up in the league below us with another local team.

Well done on that prediction! :clap:
Any thoughts on the next Euromillions numbers?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 pm 

He’s just signed for West Auckland. Way way too good for that level!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 pm 

Darlo_CR wrote:

What a waste to be back in the NL playing in front of 100 or so.Thought Spenny, S Shields or Blyth would have snapped him up.Crazy.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:28 pm 

Darlo_CR wrote:
Possibly, but then given he's not played a great deal in the last 12 months, it's not overly surprising someone like Spenny weren't interested. He wouldn't have improved them. Is he better than McTiernan, who Blyth let go? I wouldn't say so. So there's no reason for him to go to Blyth. I don't think you can reasonably say, right now, he would be first choice at NLN level.

Bit surprised Whitby didn't get him - maybe West Auckland could offer more money.

Either way I do think Portas was overrated by our fans.

Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 pm 

West seem to assembling a strong team this season

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 pm 

Just seen that it's Gary Forrest in charge at West. Pretty sure Shildon spent quite a bit of money when he was in charge there - and didn't he put his own money in there? (I could be wrong)

If so, Portas will be on a good wedge for NL level.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 pm 

jjljks wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Well done on that prediction! :clap:
Any thoughts on the next Euromillions numbers?

To be fair I heard from a reliable source about Brown. Unless some reliable source gives me the euromillions numbers then unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you.