Worcester City V Darlington FC Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Worcester City V Darlington FC Match Thread

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:58 pm

When your losing with 3 minutes of injury time left then yes you have to be pleased with a point.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:2-2 FT, a point gained rather than 2 lost I think.
Well it's both really.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:03 pm

We should have been two points better off today,however fortunately we don't lose ground on those above as most also only drew,Kidderminster and salford beaten above us.
Last edited by onewayup on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:When your losing with 3 minutes of injury time left then yes you have to be pleased with a point.
When you're playing the worst team in the league you have to be gutted with a point.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:30 pm

This result ends any lingering hopes I had for the playoffs.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:When your losing with 3 minutes of injury time left then yes you have to be pleased with a point.
When you're playing the worst team in the league you have to be gutted with a point.
Altrincham are the worst team in the league
Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Beano wrote:This result ends any lingering hopes I had for the playoffs.
whys that????

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Not a disaster for the playoff run after the other results, and 2-2 is better than losing 2-1 as it looked like, but still a rubbish result.

Obviously it'd be good if we sneak into the playoffs, but we can't really expect to challenge for promotion if we can't keep a clean sheet. If we don't win promotion then there is plenty to build on over the summer, but there's also plenty of work to do on the squad.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:20 pm

Things were all wrong today. For the most part we were awful against a side that look like cannon fodder.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:38 pm

We will make the playoffs I have no doubt ,I am positive and look on the bright side we are doing better than expected in our first season in this division,would have taken where we are now at the beginning of the season,how many expected only midd table ,think back a lot said on here they would be happy for us to hold our own and Finnish just outside off playoffs.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Just back from the game, the first time I have seen us since Stockport away in late January and I do not bring a good report. Really lacking in creativity today and wrong decisions made at crucial times. Worcester were poor but some of the players didn't look up for the challenge, Thompson, Gillies and Hardy in particular. We played better when the subs came on. It looked like we were going to grind out a 1-0 without playing well (as promotion candidates should) but we let them score two simple goals HOWEVER credit to the boys for coming back and grabbing what 'might' be a great point at the end of the season. It was two points dropped today though. One positive is the goalie, Ed. Solid. My ratings are as follows.
Ed 7
Hunter 6
Burgess 6
Brown 6
Ferguson 6
Falkingham 7
Sayers 6
Thompson 5
Hardy 5
Gillies 4
Beck 6

Turnbull 6
Cartman 6
Saunders 6

We can and must do better if we want to get into the play-offs

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:28 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
whys that????
We need to take more points than the teams above us whom are in form.

However, we haven't won two consecutive games since Harrogate away, we can't keep clean sheets, and we are struggling to
put away lesser teams. That is a problem when we have been unable to beat the teams above us.

If I'd have been offered this position in March before the season I would have gleefully accepted. After the start we had, I'm (very unfairly) disappointed.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Beano wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
whys that????
We need to take more points than the teams above us whom are in form.

However, we haven't won two consecutive games since Harrogate away, we can't keep clean sheets, and we are struggling to
put away lesser teams. That is a problem when we have been unable to beat the teams above us.

If I'd have been offered this position in March before the season I would have gleefully accepted. After the start we had, I'm (very unfairly) disappointed.
Agree with this -

In this position finding form and getting momentum would be OK but at the moment we look jaded and not right, and unless we can get that spark back this season could falter.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:10 pm

I have to say that we are about where I hoped we would be this season. On saying that, following our great start I had hopes of play offs.
Following our recent form, I now no longer expect that.
I also think that our defence is probably the worst in this league. Given that our attack and midfield seem to score enough goals, we can also expect our defence go concede plenty..
last season we had a great team for that league. However, this season the same ish defence is conceding at will...Other teams may have conceded more but they don't have the midfield of forwards to hold up the play and create that we have.
Not too disapointed as hopefully next season we will have prepared properly in both recruitment and in everything else that is required to launch a bid for promotion.
I will be at all home games and most away games between now and the end of the season hoping our form turns around and gets us into the play offs. But, I for one just can:t see it
Just my opinion.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:06 pm

We were poor all over the pitch today.How Burgess didnt get a penalty in the first half I will never know.

Missed opportunity to get close to those in the play off spots.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:27 am

Unfortunately you can't afford to be dropping points against the bottom 3 if you're looking to make the playoffs. We let ourselves down with a disjointed performance. I think for me the rest of the season is about evaluating the squad for a strong push next season. Not being negative but I feel like on and off the pitch this season is one too soon for us to he going anywhere. We could do with improving a couple of positions on the pitch and work towards a pitch revamp, finishing the seated stand and putting some kind of structure at the open end of BM.

Ed looks a good find in goal and hopefully playing at a good level can help to bring him on.

Our back line lacks shape and a leader. Watching their first goal we are second to the ball about 4 times as It bounces around our Box. I think we have good full backs in Marrs, Ferguson, Galbraith and Hunter. But in the centre our CB's arent good enough positionally and don't have the pace to get themselves out of trouble when they're out of position. We need someone with experience who reads the game well and communicates to those around them.

I think our CM combinations are some of the best in the league. Turnbull, Falkringham, Syers, Portas. But we need to work on the shape that gets the best out of them. Whether this be 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever it is. In the wide positions Thompson and Gillies are flare players (and good ones) but again we need to work out how to get them in the team without leaving the defence exposed. We also have Wearmouth to come in and have a look at.

Upfront I think Beck and Cartman are good enough for this level. Unfortunately for me I just don't see where Hardy fits in. We need someone with more energy and doing a bit more dirty work. Saunders looks a good prospect and could fill the 4th striker role around the squad.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:31 am

JE93 wrote:Unfortunately you can't afford to be dropping points against the bottom 3 if you're looking to make the playoffs. We let ourselves down with a disjointed performance. I think for me the rest of the season is about evaluating the squad for a strong push next season. Not being negative but I feel like on and off the pitch this season is one too soon for us to he going anywhere. We could do with improving a couple of positions on the pitch and work towards a pitch revamp, finishing the seated stand and putting some kind of structure at the open end of BM.

Ed looks a good find in goal and hopefully playing at a good level can help to bring him on.

Our back line lacks shape and a leader. Watching their first goal we are second to the ball about 4 times as It bounces around our Box. I think we have good full backs in Marrs, Ferguson, Galbraith and Hunter. But in the centre our CB's arent good enough positionally and don't have the pace to get themselves out of trouble when they're out of position. We need someone with experience who reads the game well and communicates to those around them.

I think our CM combinations are some of the best in the league. Turnbull, Falkringham, Syers, Portas. But we need to work on the shape that gets the best out of them. Whether this be 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever it is. In the wide positions Thompson and Gillies are flare players (and good ones) but again we need to work out how to get them in the team without leaving the defence exposed. We also have Wearmouth to come in and have a look at.

Upfront I think Beck and Cartman are good enough for this level. Unfortunately for me I just don't see where Hardy fits in. We need someone with more energy and doing a bit more dirty work. Saunders looks a good prospect and could fill the 4th striker role around the squad.
Disagree Hardy has a better scoring record than Carts... Yes he works hard but the end product is lacking at the moment.. I'm not having a go!!!!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:36 am

onewayup wrote:We will make the playoffs I have no doubt ,I am positive and look on the bright side we are doing better than expected in our first season in this division,would have taken where we are now at the beginning of the season,how many expected only midd table ,think back a lot said on here they would be happy for us to hold our own and Finnish just outside off playoffs.
We don't always agree, but on this occasion - agreed.

At the start of the season my exact hopes were that hopefully we might sneak 4th or 5th and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we just missed out.

For a small time in early season, I thought we might win the league, the way we were picking up results, but that can be forgotten now.

On the other hand, those that thought we should be looking at mid table consolidation at best were being too cautious and unambitious - we're Darlington for christ sake. Mid table and happy about it would not be good enough for this club.

But as been discussed many a time through the season, we're just not ready for promotion this season because we need to build more infrastructure as well as the team. That's going to take time.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:58 am

Quakerz wrote:
onewayup wrote:We will make the playoffs I have no doubt ,I am positive and look on the bright side we are doing better than expected in our first season in this division,would have taken where we are now at the beginning of the season,how many expected only midd table ,think back a lot said on here they would be happy for us to hold our own and Finnish just outside off playoffs.
We don't always agree, but on this occasion - agreed.

At the start of the season my exact hopes were that hopefully we might sneak 4th or 5th and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we just missed out.

For a small time in early season, I thought we might win the league, the way we were picking up results, but that can be forgotten now.

On the other hand, those that thought we should be looking at mid table consolidation at best were being too cautious and unambitious - we're Darlington for christ sake. Mid table and happy about it would not be good enough for this club.

But as been discussed many a time through the season, we're just not ready for promotion this season because we need to build more infrastructure as well as the team. That's going to take time.
Well said,I totally agree with you Q

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:04 pm

JE93 wrote:Our back line lacks shape and a leader. Watching their first goal we are second to the ball about 4 times as It bounces around our Box. I think we have good full backs in Marrs, Ferguson, Galbraith and Hunter. But in the centre our CB's arent good enough positionally and don't have the pace to get themselves out of trouble when they're out of position. We need someone with experience who reads the game well and communicates to those around them.
100 per cent correct. When we sort the defence, we will look a much more solid, robust outfit.

If Worcester had made their changes earlier, then we would have been well beaten. We had no idea what to do with their pace in the last quarter.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:15 pm

JE93 wrote:Unfortunately you can't afford to be dropping points against the bottom 3 if you're looking to make the playoffs. We let ourselves down with a disjointed performance. I think for me the rest of the season is about evaluating the squad for a strong push next season. Not being negative but I feel like on and off the pitch this season is one too soon for us to he going anywhere. We could do with improving a couple of positions on the pitch and work towards a pitch revamp, finishing the seated stand and putting some kind of structure at the open end of BM.

We are not good at winning second balls,been the same all through the bad run.

Think if CBs lack pace then they shouldnt be doing recovery runs from attack......stay in position,let someone else do it.Burgess and Brown are struggling I agree.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:26 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Disagree Hardy has a better scoring record than Carts... Yes he works hard but the end product is lacking at the moment.. I'm not having a go!!!!
I'm not sure about Cartman either, he needs to be more effective, he needs more goals. I feel that Beck is the only striker certain to be here next season.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Beck is out of contract in the summer apparently and could possibly be weighing up his options.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:50 pm

loan_star wrote:Beck is out of contract in the summer apparently and could possibly be weighing up his options.
loan_star wrote:Beck is out of contract in the summer apparently and could possibly be weighing up his options.

Gulp.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm surprised to hear that, as most of our first team seem to get 2 year contracts, so I assumed Beck was the same. He's a player that would be very hard to replace.

Darlofart

Post by Darlofart » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Personally I think people are over hyping Beck. I think since we've signed him it's effected our style of play and made us more long ball. If Beck left I wouldn't be losing too much sleep!
Pffffrraappppppppp
Pssssst
Prriiip
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Beck would be hard to replace.

He works hard, has an eye for goal and has a good attitude. Also he's only 23 so should improve.

He could well be offered a full time contract elsewhere, depending whether or not we have him signed up?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:48 pm

I don't think we know how we'd perform without Beck as I'm pretty sure he's played almost every minute of every game this season. Gray seems to be dependent upon playing with a big target man, yet we have more than enough creativity to play without one. As has been pointed out, we've become very one dimensional in lumping the ball towards Beck whenever we get the chance.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Darlofart wrote:Personally I think people are over hyping Beck. I think since we've signed him it's effected our style of play and made us more long ball. If Beck left I wouldn't be losing too much sleep!
Pffffrraappppppppp
Pssssst
Prriiip
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beck is our top goalscorer and 3rd in our assist chart. His general all-round play for a target-man is also very good.

To lose him would be a blow for next season, as I genuinely think a top centre-forward to partner him and a quality centre-half would take us to the next level needed to finish 2nd / 3rd.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:52 pm

Yarblockos wrote:I don't think we know how we'd perform without Beck as I'm pretty sure he's played almost every minute of every game this season. Gray seems to be dependent upon playing with a big target man, yet we have more than enough creativity to play without one. As has been pointed out, we've become very one dimensional in lumping the ball towards Beck whenever we get the chance.
Gray's always played with a target man, be it Beck, Armstrong, Hatch or Jamie Clarke in the very early days.

He's also tried converting players who aren't natural target men, such as Amar Purewal or, ahem, Alan White.

It seems to be his style, and in fairness has helped us to three promotions.

I agree that at times it becomes the default option, with too many brainless punts forward from the back.

But when used properly, having a physical presence with height can be a big asset.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY