Stalybridge Hostelries

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo Dodger
Team Supported: Darlington

Stalybridge Hostelries

Post by Darlo Dodger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 am

Hostelries in Stalybridge.
Assuming that the game goes ahead (last night's scheduled match was postponed. I am told that parts of the playing surface could be described a s quagmire. The North West has had an awful lot of rain recently. I think however that the forecast is good for the next few days so all should be ok for Saturday if that prediction holds good) then visiting supporters might want a pint before the game.
The ground is not in the town centre.
I am told that the game will be segregated so Darlington fans will not have access to the clubhouse bar which is behind one of the goals.
Those arriving by train, or early enough to take a stroll into town, may therefore wish to visit Stalybridge for a pre match pint.
I think about the nearest place to the ground to get a decent pint is probably The New Labour club. This is as its name suggests the Labour club but it underwent a total refurbishment last year and is about 1 km or so from the ground. (See below)
For those arriving by train then there is (obviously) the station buffet bar. It could well be very busy however as it is one of the stop offs on a beer trip by train between Manchester and West Yorkshire. It is by no means unusual to find it packed with visiting stag / hen parties and other similar groups of touring topers.
Near to the Station there is the QBar 3-5 market Street. Then 100ydsup main street is The White House pub (1 Water Street, Stalybridge, SK15 2AG) see
http://www.our-pub.co.uk/Pubs/WhiteHouse.php
It is I think under the same ownership as the QBar.
There is also a Wetherspoons “The Society Rooms” 49-51 Grosvenor St, Stalybridge SK15 2JN.
The New Stalybridge Labour Club (formerly Stalybridge Labour Club) is at Acres Lane, Stalybridge, SK15 2JR. It was Re-opened at the end of October 2016 after approx. 12 months closed. Two handpulls serve changing national real ales. Open 12-4.30 pm
I have had enquiries made with QBar, The White House and The New Labour club and have been told that they will be happy to accommodate Darlo fans on Saturday.

MKDarlo

Re: Stalybridge Hostelries

Post by MKDarlo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 am

If you want to avoid the chavs and have a decent pint just stay at the station bar

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 pm

That station bar's brilliant and at the end of the legendary ale trail into Yorkshire. Stopped off a couple of times including Mossley in the cup. Worth a visit.
http://www.beerhouses.co.uk/pub/stalybridge-buffet-bar/

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:16 am

Darlo Dodger wrote:Hostelries in Stalybridge.
Assuming that the game goes ahead (last night's scheduled match was postponed. I am told that parts of the playing surface could be described a s quagmire. The North West has had an awful lot of rain recently. I think however that the forecast is good for the next few days so all should be ok for Saturday if that prediction holds good) then visiting supporters might want a pint before the game.
The ground is not in the town centre.
I am told that the game will be segregated so Darlington fans will not have access to the clubhouse bar which is behind one of the goals.
Those arriving by train, or early enough to take a stroll into town, may therefore wish to visit Stalybridge for a pre match pint.
I think about the nearest place to the ground to get a decent pint is probably The New Labour club. This is as its name suggests the Labour club but it underwent a total refurbishment last year and is about 1 km or so from the ground. (See below)
For those arriving by train then there is (obviously) the station buffet bar. It could well be very busy however as it is one of the stop offs on a beer trip by train between Manchester and West Yorkshire. It is by no means unusual to find it packed with visiting stag / hen parties and other similar groups of touring topers.
Near to the Station there is the QBar 3-5 market Street. Then 100ydsup main street is The White House pub (1 Water Street, Stalybridge, SK15 2AG) see
http://www.our-pub.co.uk/Pubs/WhiteHouse.php
It is I think under the same ownership as the QBar.
There is also a Wetherspoons “The Society Rooms” 49-51 Grosvenor St, Stalybridge SK15 2JN.
The New Stalybridge Labour Club (formerly Stalybridge Labour Club) is at Acres Lane, Stalybridge, SK15 2JR. It was Re-opened at the end of October 2016 after approx. 12 months closed. Two handpulls serve changing national real ales. Open 12-4.30 pm
I have had enquiries made with QBar, The White House and The New Labour club and have been told that they will be happy to accommodate Darlo fans on Saturday.
That has saved me a massive job,its my birthday so hoping to celebrate in style and get 3 points.

The weather forecast has improved and says no rain between now and kick off so fingers crossed its not Rostovesq.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Bloody ell... Darlo away day combined with a birthday. Presumably you've done an advance booking for the intensive care bed at Manchester Royal Infirmary. I guess this means the beers are on the megabucks Man City fan... I'll be in the pub down the road if it's the other way round :D

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:58 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Bloody ell... Darlo away day combined with a birthday. Presumably you've done an advance booking for the intensive care bed at Manchester Royal Infirmary. I guess this means the beers are on the megabucks Man City fan... I'll be in the pub down the road if it's the other way round :D
Man City might have money but their fans havent! ;)

Really looking forward to the game but not Sundays hangover.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:03 am

"That has saved me a massive job,its my birthday so hoping to celebrate in style and get 3 points.

The weather forecast has improved and says no rain between now and kick off so fingers crossed its not Rostovesq.[/quote]

Pleased you find it useful. Enjoy your birthday and the match. I am taking 14 mates from the North West and most, if not all, of them have never been to a Darlo game. I just hope I am pleased about the decision to get them all along when 5pm comes around (though I am meeting them in Wetherspoons more than 3 hours before kick off so by the time 5 pm arrives we might not be too bothered either way about events on the pitch.)